Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
My kid owned me the other day by smashing the back door in my face while I was talking to my wife. Then sarcastically going "Ooh, Dadda bumped head. It's sore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
unless your kid is like 17. then it’s time for counseling.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

President Beep posted:

unless your kid is like 17. then it’s time for counseling.

Nah he's two.

This morning he was running around with just a shirt on. My wife asked if he wanted pants on and he ran off yell screaming "NOOOO! I LIKE MY BUMMM!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

posting the #1 most brutal own my son ever did on me:

when he was, idk, like 4 years old he asked me what my job was and i was like "well, you know how a paleontologist is a scientist about dinosaurs right?" "yes" "ok and you know how astronomers are scientists about stars right?" "yes" "ok well I'm like a scientist about computers"

and he looks thoughtful for a minute and says "when i grow up Im going to be a real scientist" and frankly i have never fully recovered from this

lol

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

rotor posted:

posting the #1 most brutal own my son ever did on me:

when he was, idk, like 4 years old he asked me what my job was and i was like "well, you know how a paleontologist is a scientist about dinosaurs right?" "yes" "ok and you know how astronomers are scientists about stars right?" "yes" "ok well I'm like a scientist about computers"

and he looks thoughtful for a minute and says "when i grow up Im going to be a real scientist" and frankly i have never fully recovered from this

amazing

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
When is it developmentally appropriate to tell your kids how much the world sucks? I assume this is like the sex talk where if they make it to highschool without the sit down they're going to be at a huge social and emotional development disadvantage

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

TimWinter posted:

When is it developmentally appropriate to tell your kids how much the world sucks? I assume this is like the sex talk where if they make it to highschool without the sit down they're going to be at a huge social and emotional development disadvantage

this is something i've been very deliberate about not infecting them with. Its something they can find out on their own. A friend in high school killed himself and ecological doombrains was a big part of it.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

God drat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rotor posted:

this is something i've been very deliberate about not infecting them with. Its something they can find out on their own. A friend in high school killed himself and ecological doombrains was a big part of it.
Yeah there's very distinct difference between teaching about sucky systems (acab, econ, etc) vs sucky world.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

I always held it against my folks when it turns out the world is becoming quickly uninhabitable and they still just shrug their shoulders like this isn't a problem they are supposed to be aware of. Obviously inducing suicide in your kids is one of the too-far-in-the-other-direction outcomes.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Sucks about your friend though. That's got to change everyone he knew pretty hard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TimWinter posted:

when they’re old enough to play FF7R

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah there's very distinct difference between teaching about sucky systems (acab, econ, etc) vs sucky world.

im not so sure that's true. I mean obviously there's a line, I'm not like mr-everything-is-sunshine-and-roses but teaching kids how fundamentally hosed up the systems all are at an age that they are too young to do anything meaningful about is actively harmful for kids. I mean poo poo, i'm old as hell and it's hard for me to convince myself that I do anything meaningful about it, I'm not about to lay this guilt on a teen.

Like yeah acab and yeah the economy is hosed up and you can probaby talk about those separately but kids will fuckin connect the dots without you.

all this is eye em oh obviously

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not sure I disagree with you, but you can bet your rear end we don't have toy police around the house, and do have discussions about what exactly the police does, for example.

I'm white as gently caress but I've lived long term in 4 coutries and 5-0 is horrible everywhere. I will not raise a child to trust them.

When to introduce your kids to the "parpaing de la réalité" remains tricky.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 23, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we all make the decisions we feel will work out best for our kids in the situations they are in and we hope for the best.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TimWinter posted:

I'm actively trying to train myself out of paying any attention to it.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I tell my kids about homelessness and poverty and stuff in context

Like my daughter is very sweet natured and will say things like ‘daddy we are lucky to live in our house, especially when it’s raining or we’d get all wet’ and i’ll say for sure, it’s important to be aware of how lucky we are, not everyone has a house or enough to eat etc

i think kids will develop their own view of the world as doomed or not and it’s our role to try to just answer their questions honestly and keep judgement out of it where possible. like if i said ‘peeps are homeless because <the govt/rich jerks/they lazy> ‘ that’s a whole other thing, and something I try to avoid. but i don’t want to sugarcoat the world either.

the other day on the news some peeps in britain were firebombing some cop cars and she was wtfing, so I explained that they were angry at the cops for doing something they didn’t like (it was about some new law that gave police powers to detain non violent protestors). she just said ‘ok’ and went back to playing. being a 6 year old must own

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TimWinter posted:

i think rotor has the right idea– it's not so much about checking boxes about your kid's growth as it is providing them with the (physical/mental) tools, resources and environment to grow. that includes answering questions in a way that promotes further questions if they want to ask them. in an age-appropriate way of course which is where you make the judgment call.

i think your assumption means more in an individualistic setting (i.e. you're homeschooling, you have to move around a lot, or your kid doesn't have a peer group for other reasons). within a steady peer group it doesn't hold as much because the kids generally all grow and question and learn at more or less the same rate in the context of the same events

i know "it takes a village" sucks as an answer but your question is "how do i make my kid not look like a naive idiot in the context of our village"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Home schooling seems like the most insane thing to me. Even if you were a trained educator, it still seems nuts. Like being a surgeon and wanting to perform surgery on your own kid.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my fundie aunt and uncle homeschooled a number of their 12 children. yes, they largely turned out very hosed up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doomerism is mostly a matter of things not conforming to expectations, kids raised today with a reasonably clear view of the world will be more suited to be happy in the world as it is (and will more clearly see how to improve it where possible) than us.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

doomerism is mostly a matter of things not conforming to expectations, kids raised today with a reasonably clear view of the world will be more suited to be happy in the world as it is (and will more clearly see how to improve it where possible) than us.

this is dumb on two levels because it assumes both that there is an empirically correct view of the world and that you have it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rotor posted:

we all make the decisions we feel will work out best for our kids in the situations they are in and we hope for the best.
hard :same:

Gentle Autist posted:

being a 6 year old must own
Not a day goes by that I don't envy our 7YO. Wake up, get served food, ride a bike, hang out with your friends, play/learn with cool teachers, hang out with your friends some more, ride more bike, hoover up dinner, more play, storytime, snooze. Sign me the F up.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 24, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stringent posted:

this is dumb on two levels because it assumes both that there is an empirically correct view of the world and that you have it.

saying "reasonably clear" is papering over a lot of poo poo yeah, i pretty explicitly decided not to get into that. the second part is entirely the opposite of what i am saying though: as an aged adult my understanding of the world is increasingly out of tune with what is observable, and doomerism is very driven by not really being able to square what is (appears to be) happening with a bunch of preconceptions from our youths. for example some really strange futurism ideas which we all marinated in at the time.

but lets not dwell too deeply on that, just wanted to suggest that kids are more resilient to that kind of thing than one might worry about.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stringent posted:

Home schooling seems like the most insane thing to me. Even if you were a trained educator, it still seems nuts. Like being a surgeon and wanting to perform surgery on your own kid.
i'll let the people who do it defend themselves here. but. it definitely tends to telegraph to the world that you value your (usually religious) ideology of choice more than anything but also fear it will be abandoned by your child unless you keep them submersed in it constantly even faced with basic economic sense

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I want to homeschool because I’m extremely worried about like, shootings and poo poo, not to mention the potentially questionable quality of education. luckily for my kid I am not delusional enough to think I’m qualified to teach a little one and I understand the value of socialization. I just consider it my job to help educate as a supplement to the school system where appropriate (I had to cut out my dinner time news rants because while very fun to complain about cops the tone upsets the kiddo haha)

I got like 4 years to worry about that tho

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I want to homeschool because I’m extremely worried about like, shootings and poo poo, not to mention the potentially questionable quality of education. luckily for my kid I am not delusional enough to think I’m qualified to teach a little one and I understand the value of socialization. I just consider it my job to help educate as a supplement to the school system where appropriate (I had to cut out my dinner time news rants because while very fun to complain about cops the tone upsets the kiddo haha)

I got like 4 years to worry about that tho
hmm. yeah, didn't account for the american school shootings factor.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:luckyducky: unironically

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

hmm. yeah, didn't account for the american school shootings factor.

on one hand its like worrying that your kid will get struck by lightning but on the other hand the overreaction to it and the ridiculous safety training they have to do has gotta be harmful, and on the other hand I had to do the same kind of trainings to prepare me for nuclear war so maybe its fine idk Im out of hands

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

on one hand its like worrying that your kid will get struck by lightning but on the other hand the overreaction to it and the ridiculous safety training they have to do has gotta be harmful, and on the other hand I had to do the same kind of trainings to prepare me for nuclear war so maybe its fine idk Im out of hands
i went through canadian elementary/middle/high school almost entirely within the 90s so i am relatively lucky to not have had cold war agonies, school shootings overreactivities, cell/smartphones, or social media/cyberbullying impacting my learning. truly blessed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

i went through canadian elementary/middle/high school almost entirely within the 90s so i am relatively lucky to not have had cold war agonies, school shootings overreactivities, cell/smartphones, or social media/cyberbullying impacting my learning. truly blessed

yeah but you may have jnco trauma

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
My parents are both teachers and my wife is a teacher.... no way would they homeschool lol. It's kind of weird right now that my wife goes and looks after a bunch of different 2-4 year olds during the day and somebody else looks after ours but the era of living on one income is pretty much over and also lookign after your own kid all day is in a way harder than working at your job. Though I guess that kind of depends on age and how much effort you put in / how much uh "character" your child has

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ive been doing both at once and sometimes at the end of the day i feel like I’m gonna pass out. :thunbsup:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

saves us like 75 smackaroos a week on daycare though so yolo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my boss has a 3 year old and a 6 year old and i literally cannot imagine how hard that has been over the last year

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

our seven year old goes to daycare twice a week so that i can be kinda productive and he gets to play with a bunch of other kids. toddler has to go full time though because there’s no way in hell i would get anything done if i had to watch him too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

my boss has a 3 year old and a 6 year old and i literally cannot imagine how hard that has been over the last year

if i tell my boss, who has a stay at home wife, that our daycare is closed for the day he makes me miss work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

saves us like 75 smackaroos a week on daycare though so yolo

surely you missed a digit in front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

surely you missed a digit in front