Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lockback posted:

I tried my Q2 outside on a sunny day once and tracking was all kinds of messed up.

Yeah, if the sun is literally beating on you it wont work. Just like if you flood a room inside with 90000 lumens of lights and leds it freaks out.

Overcast/sunup/down

theres like 4 hours a day you can play outside without "any" problems. Evening time if theres some basic lights around and your playspace is already made, itll work and if you have light houses laying around you can be cheeky and setup an IR playspace outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

explosivo posted:

Can confirm, they do latch onto you. I think you wave your arms around to swoosh them off or something but I'm always panicking too much to think about it :ohdear:

IIRC you just grab them and rip them off. I was also flailing about, so I think that's how it happened... Them jumping at you is more freaky. Think of a turkey carcass flying through the air at you for scale.

Full headcrab attack, no story spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJ2c6t_xkk

It was mostly dark and the blood from my own recollection, I flailed around and got it off to not really see anything other than dark and the reaction to "Agh! Thing on me!" When it was dark was the only time they ever really got the jump on me to latch on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is incredibly cool

https://twitter.com/floatharr/status/1374375354442285065?s=20

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You know what would be loving awesome in VR, in a post Gorilla Tag world? Werewolves. Hurl yourself around the place with your arms, climbs walls, pick people up and throw them, go hog wild with your claws. It would fit the horror vibe without being another horror game too.

In general I'm dying for better Kaiju games. There were a few different indie ones and the one Rampage game but they're all very short and limited.

The potential for "walk around in giant scale smashing cities like sandcastles" is loving huge. And different monsters can work different ways.

Or for that matter, just general superhero games. Have co-op where one person is flying around and another person is swinging on spider man ropes, etc. And you race around the city to save people or whatever.

I'd work on it myself if I ever finish my shooter game :sweatdrop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FutureCop posted:

So Half Life Alyx is on sale. Few questions before I impulse buy:

1) How terrifying are the headcrabs when they latch onto your face (if they do)? I always bless original Half Life for having headcrabs never latch onto your face (only scratch you as they sail by), as I'm incredibly terrified of playing games like Alien Isolation or even Duke Nukem with their facehugging enemies. If it's really intense, I might honestly not be able to play this game, as wussy as that sounds, haha.

2) How important is the story? I actually barely remember anything from Half Life 2 and haven't played Episode 1 & 2: should I play these all for context?

3) How much of the story is forced upon you? As in, is this game more like Half Life 1, where there is story but it's mainly all told with just chatter and background details while you play, or is this more like Half Life 2 where it locks you in and expects you to stand there for long periods of time while people talk at you?

4) Is it still possible to take the story seriously if you keep thinking of the guy on the radio as Murray from Flight of the Conchords?

1) the headcrabs aren't too bad IMO. However, the game does have you creeping around some VERY dark sewers with a flashlight, which is pretty spoopy. Even worse, there's one chapter of the game that is very much survival horror style, sneaking around, and I myself had to nope out a couple times. I think the game is incredible and thankfully MOST of it isn't spoopy at all, so I think its still worth considering, but go in knowing there's a couple parts that are dark and very scary. But you can do it!

2) The story isnt' too important at all, you're mostly just exploring a city, although there's lots of hints to the greater half life story for fans who want those things. Also, some recognizable characters.

3) There's only a couple forced dialogue "cutscenes" otherwise the story is all just environmental. So, half and half? There's basically 2-3 HL2 style "lock you in" moments, otherwise all HL1 style.

4) Sure, he's actually a comedic relief character, that's the point.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
He's way more competent than Murray but otherwise basically the same guy so coming with that context is probably better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Whoaaa I had no idea Rhys Darby was in this and now my interest has gone up even further! He's great and I love dry kiwi humour.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

2) The story isnt' too important at all, you're mostly just exploring a city, although there's lots of hints to the greater half life story for fans who want those things. Also, some recognizable characters.

This is pretty incorrect, I'd say absolutely go play the Episodes first if you have the time to as they do become very relevent.

Especially considering the ending is "Hey, you know that cliffhanger we left you on a decade ago? We didn't forget about it..."

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You know what would be loving awesome in VR, in a post Gorilla Tag world? Werewolves. Hurl yourself around the place with your arms, climbs walls, pick people up and throw them, go hog wild with your claws. It would fit the horror vibe without being another horror game too.

That makes me think a Natural Selection VR edition would be pretty great.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is pretty incorrect, I'd say absolutely go play the Episodes first if you have the time to as they do become very relevent.

Agreed. If you care about the Half-Life story at all, HL2:E2 is absolutely required before clicking "new game" in Alyx, because literally the first thing Alyx does, before you even load into the world, is spoil the ending of Episode 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shemp the Stooge posted:

That makes me think a Natural Selection VR edition would be pretty great.

Another goon said this a few dozen pages ago. Its definitely an interesting idea.

I especially like the idea of multiple players being different sizes in VR. One player is a big monster but another player is a tiny alien creeping through vents, VR can allow for wild magic perspective tricks.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially considering the ending is "Hey, you know that cliffhanger we left you on a decade ago? We didn't forget about it..."

I meant in that you can enjoy it as a VR game on its own without having played those. If you care about the HL universe I would assume you'd have played them by now, but fair enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're going to create VR versions of the classic Half-Life mods you can't really do anything until you've done the only mod game mode anyone actually cares about.

Ricochet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I loved Alyx and I didn't even play the Half Life 2 episodes. Sure maybe the story didn't hit quite as hard, but the game was still freaking amazing the whole way through.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Early on I picked up a dead headcrab and just slapped it on my "face" in order to inure myself from being too freaked out by them. Still don't love things jumping at my face but you get used to them.

you know what are freaky though? headcrab zombies. those things look horrific in VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EbolaIvory posted:

A chance?

Its 100% going to happen.

Yup. I've heard/been called racial slurs in every public lobby voice chat game I've played in VR. Echo Arena, Gorilla Tag, Rec Room, VR Chat... tons of shitheads dropping slurs, especially in games where they can see (via my avatar) that I'm black.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Yup. I've heard/been called racial slurs in every public lobby voice chat game I've played in VR. Echo Arena, Gorilla Tag, Rec Room, VR Chat... tons of shitheads dropping slurs, especially in games where they can see (via my avatar) that I'm black.

I really hate this problem. I'm trying to be active and respond to peoples' reports, but it's clearly not enough. Next step is I'm going to make the in game reporting more granular, so you can choose reasons (hate speech/bigotry, griefing, hacking, etc), and then hopefully take more automatic action based on if the person gets reported in multiple rooms or something (to prevent a room just ganging up on someone and falsely reporting them) but I doubt that'll be enough either.

One idea I'm kicking around is basically flagging more trusted accounts (people who have shown themselves to be reasonable or to have reported a decent number of people or whatever) such that if they report certain things, the offender is automatically banned and kicked from the room, basically like in game community moderators. I feel like this also might be apocalyptically stupid but there's been like almost 200 thousand people playing, so any system with a single point of action is hosed from the get go

On some level I think it's because most games absolutely do not give any fucks at all about people doing that kind of thing and people just think it's fine to do. I bet huge swaths of people would cut it out if they thought any action would actually be taken, but also if I do take action they still aren't gonna know *other* people are getting banned for it, so they'll still do it like they do in any other games. It's totally hosed unless games start doing something about it as a whole, but I'm still gonna keep trying

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

EbolaIvory posted:

Check the cable at the headset end, yank it, put it back in, reboot, cross fingers. I've had cables "die" doing exactly that. Also Index kinda has a known weak rear end port headset side. Its only been 2 months and im already slowly getting rainbow pixel lines. Its fun poo poo.

Best headset, Worst QC

:(

Are you saying the headset eventually just dies? or is this a cable problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemming posted:

I they still aren't gonna know *other* people are getting banned for it

Leper’s colony!

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I especially like the idea of multiple players being different sizes in VR. One player is a big monster but another player is a tiny alien creeping through vents, VR can allow for wild magic perspective tricks.

It would be an absolute nightmare for motion sickness sufferers, but I've immediately fallen in love with the idea of being a massive kaiju picking up tiny squishy human players and juggling them / shaking them / throwing them

Hell make it coop and let me throw my coop partners to access inaccessible areas

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I love what the idea of the index controllers but after having used them for a while I am just not sure they are actually a good design for vr interfacing.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Leper’s colony!

Good idea. Visit the gorilla graveyard, put up a list of the banned and the reasons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If the game is heavily focused on multiplayer, having some sort of action ticker in the main menu might help there.
Like, a list of scrolling messages along the lines of "User DabMaster1488 was banned for abusive chat." or something like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chadzok posted:

Good idea. Visit the gorilla graveyard, put up a list of the banned and the reasons.

If you put up a scoreboard, people will aim for the top rank.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Y'all got any recommendations for good combat-based maps for Alyx? Preferably with no god drat headcrabs, I've had enough of them in Half-Life 2 already.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I ordered a set of rx lenses for my Rift CV1 from https://www.vroptician.com. They're shipping from Germany so I'm pretty sure they'll be well made, but once I get them, I'll share my thoughts with the thread.

Anyone else go this route or are all you four-eyed people having your glasses stolen from your face each time you're done playing?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DelphiAegis posted:

So I ordered a set of rx lenses for my Rift CV1 from https://www.vroptician.com. They're shipping from Germany so I'm pretty sure they'll be well made, but once I get them, I'll share my thoughts with the thread.

Anyone else go this route or are all you four-eyed people having your glasses stolen from your face each time you're done playing?

I got some from them a month ago for my Index and they’ve been great. VR gaming is far more comfortable now and they are very easy to remove when my wife wants to play Beatsaber.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PirateDentist posted:

Alyx has ruined so many VR games for me now. Almost everything is just done so drat well, and just works. Gravity gloving a mag to you, slamming it in, and racking the slide just feels so good. I had to cheat in more ammo though, you do not get enough for how I play at least.

fyi there is ALWAYS ammo in alyx - if you're out the game will spawn more even in places you already checked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

I really hate this problem. I'm trying to be active and respond to peoples' reports, but it's clearly not enough. Next step is I'm going to make the in game reporting more granular, so you can choose reasons (hate speech/bigotry, griefing, hacking, etc), and then hopefully take more automatic action based on if the person gets reported in multiple rooms or something (to prevent a room just ganging up on someone and falsely reporting them) but I doubt that'll be enough either.

One idea I'm kicking around is basically flagging more trusted accounts (people who have shown themselves to be reasonable or to have reported a decent number of people or whatever) such that if they report certain things, the offender is automatically banned and kicked from the room, basically like in game community moderators. I feel like this also might be apocalyptically stupid but there's been like almost 200 thousand people playing, so any system with a single point of action is hosed from the get go

On some level I think it's because most games absolutely do not give any fucks at all about people doing that kind of thing and people just think it's fine to do. I bet huge swaths of people would cut it out if they thought any action would actually be taken, but also if I do take action they still aren't gonna know *other* people are getting banned for it, so they'll still do it like they do in any other games. It's totally hosed unless games start doing something about it as a whole, but I'm still gonna keep trying

Honestly there are a bunch of goons that play and this group automatically skews non-racist because racists don’t make it very long on SA. Grant us all the power to zap idiots and there you go. Automatic moderation squad

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you're running out of ammo then invest in the laser sight ASAP. I often ran low on shotgun and machine gun ammo, but never pistol, you shouldn't run out of everything if you're even halfway accurate.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is the elite strap worth buying now? Or is there a better (non 3D printing) option?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve had mine since January, I use it almost daily and it’s still fine. People say they’ll still crack but I haven’t experienced any issues

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mang Tomas posted:

Is the elite strap worth buying now? Or is there a better (non 3D printing) option?

It has a 2 year warranty on it too and its basically no questions asked if it cracks. It's a little pricey for what it is but it's really nice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have my since November, still fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've had mine for a few months now and had no issues with it either. Some goons were saying to stay away because they'll still break but it seems fine to me.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I bought my elite strap mid February and it broke before the end of February. But a couple pieces of duct tape are holding it together nicely now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lozareth posted:

I bought my elite strap mid February and it broke before the end of February. But a couple pieces of duct tape are holding it together nicely now.

File a RMA and get a new one dude.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I bought boneworks last week, which is a janky as hell thing but fun - if I hadn't coded physics engines before I'd find it vastly less fun because I can work out how to cheese their engine enough the bugs don't piss me off. Don't think I'd recommend it to most of my friends.

I just discovered that the best way to deal with a certain kind of enemy that was previously scary is to grab it with both hands when it jumps at you and headbutt it to death. I'm now actively looking for the things and laughing my face off headbanging every one to its resting place.

Best. Unintentiontal. Control. Mechanism. Ever.

Please put it in vr doom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

None works is the greatest game for exploiting its janky physics.

You can also just shove the zombies like you’re getting impatient with them rather than trying to avoid getting killed and it’s hilarious

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lemming posted:

I really hate this problem. I'm trying to be active and respond to peoples' reports, but it's clearly not enough.

Ands I don't blame you for this. People with voice chat and anonymity do this in basically every situation, unfortunately. I hope you can find some way to curtail it, but yeah, being a solo dev and this game having hundreds of thousands of players is rough. I appreciate that it's something you care to address, and I hope you come up with something workable :)

Skyarb posted:

I love what the idea of the index controllers but after having used them for a while I am just not sure they are actually a good design for vr interfacing.

They aren't. The finger stuff is a gimmick that only matters for making basic hand gestures (they aren't detailed enough for, say, sign languages), throwing actually blows because you have to tighten the gently caress out of the straps to avoid the controller shifting obnoxiously in your hand (it's fine for light tosses, but playing Echo Arena with Index is awful), and I prefer Touch over them 95% of the time. Exceptions are games where having the touchpad as an extra button/cluster of buttons is helpful, though most games are designed to work with Touch layout now (H3VR, for example, is fiiiinally admitting that most people don't use Vive wands).

I'll spare the thread my usual enormous rant, but suffice it to say that I only like the Index for the headset and its superb audio. I find Touch controllers superior for comfort and usability.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Been enjoying Walkabout Mini Golf a lot the past few weeks, it makes for a pretty fantastic hanging out with friends game. Love that it is crossbuy and you can play multiplayer on the same account with multiple headsets. Works out perfectly so that my wife and I can play on our RiftS/Quest2 with a friend and his wife on their Rift/Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

They aren't. The finger stuff is a gimmick that only matters for making basic hand gestures (they aren't detailed enough for, say, sign languages),

This is demonstrably untrue, people use them for sign languages in VRChat all the time. Especially for teaching people how to sign.