Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The C&C remake probably has close to a hundred missions with all the games and expansions it collects together. Some design aspects of the very first game have definitely aged, but I was surprised at how fun and varied most of Red Alert's campaign was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I have actually picked up battle realms as a gift way back when and never played it, so I guess it warrants a try! And I'd promised myself to look at world in conflict at one point, just never came through.
I'd also have to dig up my bfme cd, but I do remember liking that one a lot. Thanks for the suggestions! I have to do a bit of sorting first, but there is some stuff to check out. I did play through SC and it was good, unsure if I'll ever get around to SC2 at this rate, but I'll watch out for it. I'm unfortunately a bit lukewarm on C&C, but thanks for bringing it up nevertheless!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite RTSs of all time is Ground Control. Such an awesome an amazingly fun game!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh wow there's a Battle Realms remake. Sign me up!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Holy poo poo someone made a remake of Battle Realms??

...but why?

No but seriously, that's very surprising.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Immortal: Gates of Pyre team did an interview on the Pylon Show with Artosis. They really get into the nitty gritty of RTS mechanics and systems during it. While I couldn't watch the whole thing at the time, I watched a lot of it, I was impressed with their analysis of RTS issues, particularly with the problems in Starcraft 2 (a lot of the team are former SC2 modders, so there's a ton of comparisons to SC2 or BW). They say their aim is to lower the skill floor in a Starcraft-like RTS without impacting the skill ceiling too much. They're also putting more of an emphasis on team games (Starcraft is somewhat notoriously balanced around seriousbusiness 1v1) and co-op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQw80Reh2ps

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cicero posted:

Holy poo poo someone made a remake of Battle Realms??

...but why?

No but seriously, that's very surprising.

It is not only a remake, but it is in active Early Access at what seems like a more than fair price. It is a project from the original lead dev, so I assume it is a real passion project for him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's not really a remake though, more of an upscaled re-release with maybe the potential for more in the future? Still, Battle Realms is pretty great, one of the few RTS games where it really feels like individual units are actually fighting one another instead of swinging damage numbers. It also has a fun way of selecting your faction in the first mission of the campaign.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I thought I'd share what an idiot I am with the thread.

So I've been playing Dawn of War 1 and at the start of mission four you need to clear out a small enemy base where yours will be built. Standard stuff. You get two squads and three artillery trucks to do it.

Except for some reason I looked at these trucks and my mind said, "these are the vehicles to build the base with à la C&C," despite that not being a mechanic in this game.

I spent thirty minutes throwing those poor soldiers at that base.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The leadership was fine they just lacked grit

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's very appropriate to the imperium

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

They're certainly saying all the right things: No hero units*, having battles on multiple fronts*, streamlining buttons and controls, and having multiple factions. I'm certainly interested in seeing the end product.

*No Hero Units & multifront battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQw80Reh2ps&t=2667s

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mortons stork posted:

Any recommendation for an RTS with a cool SP campaign? I mentioned Sacrifice a bit upthread, but I feel like I've exhausted the replay value of that one by now. I really liked AoM's character driven story approach and the scenarios were cool imo. Anything along those lines?

Men of war has one of the best campaigns available, but it ain't easy

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mans posted:

Men of war has one of the best campaigns available, but it ain't easy

Men of war, faces of war and Soldiers Heroes of WW2 all do but where it shines is as sort of a cross between RTS and Commandos. There's also a stand alone game that was on the Soldier's engine that was just 100% commando style "puzzle" missions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does that Immortals game have the "mechanical difficulty" thing starcraft-derived games love where quality of life improvements are intentionally not implemented to make the game harder?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Does that Immortals game have the "mechanical difficulty" thing starcraft-derived games love where quality of life improvements are intentionally not implemented to make the game harder?

Nope. It has QoL features such as workers being auto built unless you explicitly dont want them autobuilt, unit abilities on spacebar, can rally production buildings to your army control group, etc

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

Nope. It has QoL features such as workers being auto built unless you explicitly dont want them autobuilt, unit abilities on spacebar, can rally production buildings to your army control group, etc

That sounds nice. I absolutely hated busywork in starcraft 2 (like larva injections) that are there just so that pro players have things to click. I would think getting rid of that would make games more interesting if you have more time to do things that require decisions

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

That sounds nice. I absolutely hated busywork in starcraft 2 (like larva injections) that are there just so that pro players have things to click. I would think getting rid of that would make games more interesting if you have more time to do things that require decisions

Thats basically why MOBAs became a hit. They are RTS distilled to the most essential elements and let you focus on positioning, teamwork and overall gamesense.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OctaMurk posted:

Thats basically why MOBAs became a hit. They are RTS distilled to the most essential elements and let you focus on positioning, teamwork and overall gamesense.

Are there MOBAs with flying only heroes? Or water only heroes? If they're all land only heroes, then that seems very limited, as the RTSes I've enjoyed the most all have flying, land and water units (Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, especially).

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ambaire posted:

Are there MOBAs with flying only heroes? Or water only heroes? If they're all land only heroes, then that seems very limited, as the RTSes I've enjoyed the most all have flying, land and water units (Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, especially).

There's a ton of variation even with just land only. I mean League of Legends has like 140 heroes. Heroes of the Storm also has a ton of variation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I started Dawn of War: Winter Assault and more importantly finally found out that all the lagging in it and the base game wasn't from just being old and poorly coded, but that it doesn't work well with mouse hardware acceleration on. Once I dug into the files and switched it off it's running nicely and smoothly.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why play Winter Assault when Dark Crusade is right there.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

Why play Winter Assault when Dark Crusade is right there.

Because I'm playing the expansions in their release order and Winter Assault came out first.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
God, Relic is such a poo poo game developer. More and more I've come to realize that they don't make good games, they make good game mechanics but have no idea how to actually make a good game with said good game mechanics. Nobody actually likes Company of Heroes, they like the games that COH could be if there weren't so much Bad Game Design piled on top of it. Every once in a while it'll shine through, and you'll have a good game where even if you lose, you can still admit that you lost fairly and still had a good game. But then the other 50+% of the time you have to play against a British player, and even if you win it's just so goddam unfun.

gently caress Opposing Front for introducing a universally-hated faction that completely ruined matchmaking. gently caress the blatant pay-to-win that was Tales of Valor. gently caress the blatant cash grab that was COH: Online. gently caress the awful 'pay to unlock basic game features' in COH2. gently caress Relic.

But what's amazing to me that no one has actually made a better strategy game since then. COH2 isn't an upgrade so much as it was a side-grade. Iron Harvest looks neat but janky, and is still in development. Wargame/Steel Division are decent, but kind of niche and very unintuitive and impenetrable, and doesn't really scratch the same itch. Men of War looks neat but clunky as all hell. How the hell has nobody done better in 15 years?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 24, 2021

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

OhFunny posted:

Because I'm playing the expansions in their release order and Winter Assault came out first.

Condolences.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Cynic Jester posted:

Condolences.

Dark Crusade is pretty great. Which is good, because it was the last expansion Relic made for DOW1.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dark Crusade is one of my comfy gaming blankets that I always return to every few years. Only recently have the total war warhammer games done the same and for largely the same reason I think. I just love how fun and different the factions are to play. My only real complaint was multiplayer changes massively affecting my single player gameplay. I just love the stronghold missions especially even if I know how to beat them and some are overly long and/or grindy (eldar).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

literally this big posted:

Dark Crusade is pretty great. Which is good, because it was the last expansion Relic made for DOW1.

Correct, Soulstorm was made by the Titan Quest guys.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

That and company of heroes were my jam back in the day, playing in the IGUK lan cafe weekly tournaments paid for my first gaming pc which was nice

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Theswarms posted:

Correct, Soulstorm was made by the Titan Quest guys.

I should have rephrased my last post to "the last expansion ever made for DOW1" so as to better deny the existence of Soulstrom (which does not exist).

I am also popping in here one more time to say that honestly, genuinely, anyone involved with the design and implementation of the British faction in Company of Heroes should feel downright ashamed of how it turned out. For as much as I paid for the Opposing Fronts expansion when it came out, I would gladly pay 10x that to never have to ever deal with Brits ever again. And please note that I was "deal with" and not "play against" because Brits are just factor you have to deal with, akin to being diagnosed with terminal illness, because Brits are loving cancer upon COH1, and upon decent game design.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wait till you find about them in real life

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I should have rephrased my last post to "the last expansion ever made for DOW1" so as to better deny the existence of Soulstrom (which does not exist).

I am also popping in here one more time to say that honestly, genuinely, anyone involved with the design and implementation of the British faction in Company of Heroes should feel downright ashamed of how it turned out. For as much as I paid for the Opposing Fronts expansion when it came out, I would gladly pay 10x that to never have to ever deal with Brits ever again. And please note that I was "deal with" and not "play against" because Brits are just factor you have to deal with, akin to being diagnosed with terminal illness, because Brits are loving cancer upon COH1, and upon decent game design.
their fun, OP

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Genuinely curious what's wrong with the brits?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

working mom posted:

They're the turtle faction. That and Kangaroos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For real tho, I never played much COH1 multiplayer (put quite a few hours into COH2's) so I'm guessing that's where the hatred stems from.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Dark Crusade is one of my comfy gaming blankets that I always return to every few years. Only recently have the total war warhammer games done the same and for largely the same reason I think. I just love how fun and different the factions are to play. My only real complaint was multiplayer changes massively affecting my single player gameplay. I just love the stronghold missions especially even if I know how to beat them and some are overly long and/or grindy (eldar).

Have you given the Ultimate apocalypse mod a go? It's pretty ridiculous fun to see titans rendered in an engine that was not designed to render titans.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

working mom posted:

A whole lot, the expansions were kinda terrible overall (Panzer Elite was a bit better, because it had a bunch of individually fun/interesting gimmicks slapped together into a barely coherent mess).

Brits were:
- based around static emplacements and magic spell artillery in a game build all around aggressive maneuvering. They did nothing and denied opponent doing anything interesting, so it was always either joyless meatgrinders or just going for the same silver bullets and their counters every single game.
- constrainedvery small and rigid unit pool where all games looked the same and your only real choice was whether you prefer to go into tanks or artillery for the endgame. And likewise - they always had the same specific weaknesses you had to try play around every single time, zero dynamism.
- poorly balanced in a way that was usually very frustrating
- had a bunch of bullshit units. Bullshit as in, even if ultimately beatable, making one of them forces the opponent to warp their entire game around them. Like tier I essentially-armored-cars or high-armor-penetration tanks whose range exceeds any units vision range.
- doing thing where they mess with core mechanics of the game (eg. locking down provinces with their mobile buildings), but it was done because it sounded like a cool flashy idea and nobody really thought them through.

They had the lowest (by far) skill floor of all factions and usually boiled down to making one early push early on with one's superior units, locking the juiciest section of the map and just playing simcity from then on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
On singleplayer otoh they were fun as heck, building up a static defensive base doing commando drops behind the front line. I get that it makes multplayer a chore but I think it's kind of a bummer how few games let you do things with strong static defenses; I'm under the impression it's not even an unpopular playstyle. Supreme Commander 1/2 are the only other games I can think of that actually lean into the artillery.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Brits turned a world war 2 game into a recreation of Verdun lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, there's nothign wrong with doing a defensive faction in principle, it's just... Opposing Fronts had Relic throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and the bad parts of brits were really bad.

In going for US-like approach of a smaller cadre of more generalist units they locked themselves into living with their bad calls (and didn't choose to rectify it with Tales of Valor unit swaps), while PE had enough stuff you could keep tweaking numbers until you reach playability - even if half the units were competitively unviable, you were still left with the number of options brits had to begin with. Now with their own glass cannon approach PE had its own problem of swing wildly between trash fire and utterly oppressive, but at least they offered something interesting at their core.