Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The early stages of the game of struggling to get leather because your sneak skill sucks and deer flee into the remote distance is way worse than any corpse run I've had to do.

So where's the toggle for that??

Or getting blizted by a deathsquito because your forest happens to brush up against a plains biome.

Where's the toggle for that??

Toggles for everything!

(serious response: go find a mod for it, it probably exists)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ah yes, let's be condescending rear end about it.

Truly, dying in a video game is my fault. How dare I live with this shame. I'm committing sudoku now.

I had my fun with this game, but if those tedious loops is what the community, like this arsehole above want...

To be less of a dick, if this keeps happening, its likely you are pushing to do things the game is designed to punish you for, good design or not. Exploring at night, not having rested status, being low on food, etc are normally why you die since with good stamina regen you can just bail from anything other than a deathsquito. The game wants you to find a segment of plains, or a mountain, and then stop and consider whether or not you should build a camp before continuing. It wants you to put up a small hut at the base of that mountain so you can have a bed and a fire there.

However I am an impatient gently caress and normally just yolo it and its burned my rear end with me being swarmed by 5 wolves and a 2 star direwolf and a werewolf and getting owned a 25 minute walk from my bed.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

at this point you can pmuch mod out any inconveniences the game throws at you, so if you don't like something just get rid of it

i went through a "allow metals through portals, more carry weight, foods last longer" phase but realized that, as much as i enjoy the sandbox building, it does remove the magic for me personally without the restrictions and consequences. i'll hold on to some quality of life stuff like crafting from containers, but i think otherwise i'm good going back to vanilla.

the one cheaty thing i did that i'm somewhat okay with was 50% slower stamina drain while swimming. i'm okay drowning a little less easily.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

There is already an exploration focused game that handles dying in a better way and it is called subnautica. You lose whatever you gathered between your last foray from base, but not any of the equipment progress you made or anything you had already successfully returned to the base beforehand. The penalty for dying is that you do not achieve the objective you set out to do when you left the base and you must reattempt it. This, conceptually, is how the overwhelming majority of video games have worked since they stopped being designed to drain your money at an arcade and the reason for that is because I think it keeps the focus of the game on the area you are at within the larger progression of the game, and eliminates the need to redo things you have already done.

i think you make a good argument here but i also think the gameplay loop of Valheim is different from Subnautica. Like, you should be building little huts with beds when you are exploring a new biome, that's a huge part of the process. Subnautica doesn't really require or reward that kind of construction. I didn't find it necessary to build more than one base in my run at least.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ah yes, let's be condescending rear end about it.

Truly, dying in a video game is my fault. How dare I live with this shame. I'm committing sudoku now.

I had my fun with this game, but if those tedious loops is what the community, like this arsehole above want...

:qq:

totally forgot about that one and it perfectly describes you, lol

people have already pointed out there are mods that solve the corpse run problem and yet people still complain about it. hmmmm. i also never said these "tedious loops" is what anyone wants, so keep making up strawmen and telling on yourself, weakass viking!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cams posted:

at this point you can pmuch mod out any inconveniences the game throws at you, so if you don't like something just get rid of it

i went through a "allow metals through portals, more carry weight, foods last longer" phase but realized that, as much as i enjoy the sandbox building, it does remove the magic for me personally without the restrictions and consequences. i'll hold on to some quality of life stuff like crafting from containers, but i think otherwise i'm good going back to vanilla.

the one cheaty thing i did that i'm somewhat okay with was 50% slower stamina drain while swimming. i'm okay drowning a little less easily.

Yeah, i do not want to remove any of the main loops, for me the game starts to drag a bit late game since you have done most of the true exploring and to legitimately get all the iron you need for late game armor is kind of a drag since mining scrap in dungeons where nothing can hurt you is just busywork. That's why i'd say the compromise is a superportal that costs black metal or something in order to transport either ore or maybe only smelted metal, so as you approach endgame you can more quickly acquire resources you need.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Here's my Death Run story:

I had been duo-ing with a friend for the majority of a new map. We had just built a new base on the coastline just across the river from a Black Forest, which was still something of a challenge gear-wise. We finally farm up enough Bronze for decent armor, build the Karve, and set off South for the Elder, which we had just found the location of at the nearby Black Forest. But the Elder was a TRIP to get to.

At this point, I really had read nothing about this game. I didn't know about the Sea Serpent, Swamps, Plains, any of it.

Things are going well on the trip. We're basically in a big strait with a shore visible on either side the whole time. It's a fairly uneventful trip and we land on the border of a Meadows and BF biome ~ 300m or so from the Elder spawn and begin setting up a campsite. Just then, a Fuling wanders into the Meadow assumingly kited over by the boars and deer in the area and one shots us both. Turns out there's a Plains biome just beyond draw distance on the other side of the Meadow behind a line of trees.

Corpse run time.

We manage to scrape up enough stuff for another Karve, gear up with Rag and Troll Skin Armor, flint weapons, and no tools and head South again. About halfway through, we get a massive storm, heaving seas, and the Serpent appears. Not realizing at the time that we could PROBABLY have just arrowed it to death, we wheel hard to the port and see the barren trees of the Swamp backlit through lightning strikes. It's too late now as the boat is completely thrashed by the serpent and we almost literally hit one of the ruined stone towers utterly surrounded by Draugr who efficiently gently caress our poo poo up with extreme prejudice.

At this point, I thought it was over. I had misunderstood the concept of how Gravestones worked and thought subsequent deaths would over-write the old ones, so I'm figuring our stuff is literally vanished so we give up, rebuild our entire gear setup from scratch with zero extra bronze, and it took the better part of 10 days of occasional play to get back to the original death spot only to find our graves and gear right where we left them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

i think you make a good argument here but i also think the gameplay loop of Valheim is different from Subnautica. Like, you should be building little huts with beds when you are exploring a new biome, that's a huge part of the process. Subnautica doesn't really require or reward that kind of construction. I didn't find it necessary to build more than one base in my run at least.

It doesn't require it but there is no reason why you can't, and also the world is quite a lot smaller, you can literally swim across it if you wanted to.

None of that is incompatible with adopting something like the same system, you respawn back at your base which can be wherever you want and you lose whatever you picked up since you last left your base.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Unless you’re literally dying in the meadows somehow you have no excuse to ever be more than a 60 second run from a portal

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

causticBeet posted:

Unless you’re literally dying in the meadows somehow you have no excuse to ever be more than a 60 second run from a portal

This is very true as well. There's a reason that all the portal materials are from the first two biomes.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's a poo poo game mechanic in a very grindy, sometimes tedious game. It should be a toggle

They could probably make improvements to it so that you're not literally phoning a discord body recovery service just to get your stuff back, but overall I like it because it really does scare you when you know you might die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't even want an insight into the mind that makes the decision to employ a corpse recovery service in a game that has myriad tools to solve this problem alone.

Clitch posted:

Random tangent, but does anyone else's inspiration dry up in these games when you go into creative mode?

In this game it really did seem to. My and my buddy installed some mods, got console working on MP, then we just wanted to gently caress around and build a cool base in this lovely little Island with 4 biomes crossing at a little river/stream. Found it one time randomly exploring, really beautiful spot. I built up a huge ston tower near this cliff we put our portal on, we decided to build a bridge over to these 5 goblin stone pillars, planning on building a little house or shop on each one. Halfway through playing that session I just kind of lost the drive. At one point my buddy was still building like a circular platform out from the rock, while I was just spawning hundreds of deer and wolves and goblins and whatever to see them fight.

Building a dream base post-game just felt hollow. Maybe instead we could try making our own Tower Defense and maze, spawn a bunch of monsters in a sloped pit, funnel them into maze, fire away.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Khanstant posted:

Don't even want an insight into the mind that makes the decision to employ a corpse recovery service in a game that has myriad tools to solve this problem alone.

The corpse recovery service is by and far the most fun way to solve the problem, I don't think it requires any particular insight. Those people are cool and fun to play with.

Anyway, I like the corpse run mechanic quite a lot (especially the shield against further skill loss during the corpse run, the gods are merciful) but I'm not gonna criticize anyone or removing a gameplay loop they don't like. After all, I installed the planting mod (and then greatly reduced the resources required to engage in planting) so I could farm whatever I wanted because doing endless loops through old territory to forage wasn't nearly as much fun for me as setting up my own farms and being able to set up night-time trail-lighting for my unused-by-anyone road network. Different folks enjoy different stuff.

I think the "corpse runs are BAD" people should recognize, though, that they are a mechanic designed to encourage a certain style of play many people find enjoyable and that removing it from the core game would be a detriment to most people, and if you haven't even given that style of play a try yet it might be worth doing before getting rid of the corpse run mechanic. But if you don't like doing that stuff, toss it out the window obviously.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the threat of enemies raiding your base or just dangerous night spawns wandering close combined with wanting shelter from rain and arrows and comfort and crafting and portals nearby is a decent incentive for making you want to plan out how your base is laid out and going full creative mode removes that incentive to worry about how you build it or even any purpose for it if you just cheat in every item in the game.

Game does a good job making building nice looking things easy while also challenging you with structural integrity, chimneys, local dangers and space for expansion, my first plains biome base looked like a fortress with trenches and raised dirt walls and fortifications extending outwards to prevent enemy spawns and have somewhere I can run and defend from 2 star fuling spear thrower ambushes.

If dying to those raids wasn't dangerous in anyway you would just run around naked to save inventory space and weight and going pure git gud to dodge every enemy attack because the only penalty is the walk from the nearest portal and there would be no incentive to fortify your bases from overwhelming enemy spawns because you could just throw yourself at them until you whittle them down.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 24, 2021

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
I just had the worst corpse run I've ever had, which also amounted to probably the most intense hour or so of gameplay I've ever gotten out of the game.

Was out and about killing fulings on the plains while exploring new areas and happened on another fuling camp. No prob, I've cleared at least a dozen of these now and I'm not far from a base portal. While taking out the trash, night falls and apparently a couple extra fulings spawn nearby and immediately spot me, one of them a 1*. No prob, I kill 1*s all loving day, it's the 2*s you have to be careful with. Anyways, while killing these last two fulings, I suddenly decide to try and see what happens if I try a parry while my back is turned wondering just how fast you turn around for that. Why I tried this with a 1* fuling is loving beyond me, because the parry obviously doesn't connect and I take a nasty shot to the back. Still alive but battered, I hit the bastard twice but fail to kill him and leave him with not even a sliver of health. He swings again and kills me, which is my first death in quite a long time. I'm kinda pissed at myself but, meh, I'll run load up on food, run back, get my stuff, and then push the fucker's poo poo in.

My character wakes up in an...unfamiliar place.

poo poo.

I suddenly realize that I FORGOT TO RESET MY loving SPAWN POINT :doh:

I'm in the middle of another plains area in a makeshift campsite on the other side of the map that I had cleared out like yesterday and several game hours ago. I had gotten so complacent with simply bowling over everything I had forgotten a very simple and basic rule. Said makeshift campsite is also near the northern tip of a peninsula on an island that consists of nothing but a loooong stretch of plains, a mountain, a tiny piece of black forest, and a sprawling swamp on the southern part where my nearest teleporter is (ironically it's the base I posted a little earlier). The plains area alone is so long it's probably almost a ten minute run at non-sprint speed just to get through that, and then I have to get through another long stretch of swamp to get there. Naked. No meadows to re-gear or build a poo poo raft to bypass everything, and the only available food is cloudberries.

gently caress.

I start by trying the most direct route, and after about 15 minutes of sneaking I'm close to the swamp when I'm spotted by a deathsquito and one-shotted. Back to square one. I try again, taking mostly the same route but angling out a bit to avoid the deathsquito, only to be spotted again after another 15 minutes at this location by another deathsquito. Dead again. Back to square one. Again.

On the third try, I decide to take the longer route, which cuts through the small patch of black forest. There's more swamp to deal with, but at least it won't be deathsquitos. Probably. I take it slow, and my no-skill drain has now drained for the third time when I finally hit the black forest. I creep through it without incident until I reach a spot where the forest, swamp, and another small stretch of plains all join together when something (I think a blob) from the swamp spots me. I drop out of hiding and start running, but now I hear fulings from the adjacent plains area making that stupid noise they do when they've spotted you. I'm also still really far from the base, which is only about 3/4 of the total distance from where I'll spawn if I die again.

gently caress it.

I hit my Eikthyr buff, which I thankfully never change out due to knowing I'll eventually hit a situation like this, and start hauling rear end directly for my base knowing that one mistake or a stroke of bad luck will gently caress me over yet again. Sprinting at full speed with my level 80 running and 50 jump skills, I'm parkouring island to island over downed trees while dodging blobs, leeches, and a couple draugr who spawned in my path, one of which came all too close to snagging me. With my stamina almost fully drained, I reach the steps to my treehouse and thankfully manage to not gently caress up on the initial climb (a troll raid smashed the lower parts, so I have to climb up a railing). After getting to the top I immediately reset my loving spawn point and finally let myself feel relief. Needless to say, I then stacked my hp to 200+, put on some troll armor, got my stuff back, and hosed up what was left of the fuling camp with a vengeance.

All in all, easily the most draining experience I've had playing the game and the whole thing probably took around an hour.

Anyways, the moral of the story is ALWAYS RESET YOUR SPAWN POINT

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I know there are mods to remove drops on death and skill penalties, but can you play co-op with one user having those mods and others being stock?

Because I'm trying to bait my friend back into playing this since he talked me into buying it and bailed on Co-op 2 days after purchase, but I think the hardcore aspects turn him off.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A lot of valheim mods are client side only and don't require the server and everyone to run it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yep, you can mod it for yourself and it won't effect anyone else. This is true of basically every mod that's available and is one of my absolute favorite things about the game.

I am considering modding the skill loss penalty for dying to be lower or gone though. My poor girlfriend keeps having construction accidents (and they're my own leading cause of death as well) and now she can barely jump or swim anywhere and its kind of silly. As we expand the treehouse base I'd honestly just kinda rather not have to deal with it. Corpse runs can be fun, skill loss... not so much?

Wouldn't be so bad if you could get most of your skills back from your gravestone. That would be cool actually.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Yeah, I mean...some of my best adventures were recovering my corpse from a failed outing, but dictating that everyone has to enjoy it is kind of lame.

Really, they should follow the ability to choose your standard tier of:
1. No penalty, you wake up in bed with your skills and your stuff
2. Corpse run/skill penalty
3. Hardcore/permadeath

Give an experience bonus to harder levels to offset things and you're good.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

super sweet best pal posted:

Getting sick of corpse runs. You'd think by now survival games would've stopped using this mechanic because it doesn't add anything to the game and just makes more busywork.

So that we may better share advice, what is your most common cause of death / how did you die the last time you died?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My most common cause of death is OSHA violations

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^ i'm actually kinda sad i've never been killed by felling trees or anything; i joined a server with like 4 other friends and they had already set up a base and had extra armour so i was never killed by the trees

robotsinmyhead posted:

Here's my Death Run story:

^^^lol gently caress! i learned the cairns stay early on, but my idiot moment was not realizing the map only shows your most recent death spot. probably spent an hour looking for my corpse. now i mark where my body is at even if it's like, right outside my base door. here's my weakass viking corpse run story :black101:

started building up my eastern base, on a pretty cool island with two semi-circle inlets, mountain as a backdrop and plains on either side with a little bit of meadows. cool spot, gently caress yeah, oh, no swamps anywhere close(at this point i hadn't realized how trivial the blackmetal shield makes almost everything on the plains so i haven't explored past one of the bordering plains). build a shiny new karve, load up with some dope foods and set sail for the unknown!

my first oh poo poo moment was when i started getting hosed with by a serpent. i couldn't remember if hopping off the rudder while you're hauling rear end would clip me through the boat, or keep me stationary while the boat sails off into the sunset. so i freaked out(weakass viking penalty #1, poo poo), but luckily outran the fucker. right into a huge, beautiful swamp! parked my boat like a moron since i was still freaked out about the serpent, but whatever, i have full wolf armour, badass gear, the swamp ain't no thang, right? go and explore the swamp, no crypts, gently caress. alright whatever, i head back to the boat. i get to my boat and leeroy jenkins right into the water towards it... without seeing the 3/4 leeches just chillin. again, who the gently caress cares about a leech, am i right?

well, all my food had ran out so i was on like, what, 35 health or whatever the base is? so uh, i got loving WORKED by those leeches. freaked out and tried to swim/run away(weakass viking penalty #2) and died a miserable, water-logged death. very not-viking.

used my backup tools(and borrowed nails from a homie) to build a second karve, set sail towards my lonely and sad corpse! freaked out again by the serpent, but made it to my corpse all in one piece, and then got revenge on those leeches with great aplomb. probably took 1.5h after i initially died to get back there, and that poo poo was fuuuuuuuuun as gently caress. nerve racking and worrying, but drat that was a blast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Azhais posted:

My most common cause of death is OSHA violations

gently caress safety equipment

https://i.imgur.com/vUN1Bbl.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

xzzy posted:

gently caress safety equipment

https://i.imgur.com/vUN1Bbl.mp4

Viking OHSA doesn't require scaffolding but it does require hearty meals at all times. Pay your fine to Odin :colbert:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

causticBeet posted:

You could be sailing to bring back ore/explore and run into a serpent early on.

Or, like me, land in a black forrest, not realize that the tiny rock standing out 3 yards from shore is actually a tiny plains, and get murdered by 4 goblins when you get out of the boat and before you can name the portal...

On the topic of broader changes:

The reason this game is great is because it can be many things to many people. I have a server with like 7 players. One of them is all about killing bosses/progressing the server. Another is just about building, and has built a massive castle with dozens of tamed wolves in the mountains, and I don't think has ever stepped away from it. I have not built a single thing, focusing more on the exploration part of the game (we were all completely unspoiled, so my first time reaching plains was great, I streamed it for them, we all went "ooh" and "aah" and then a deathsquito murdered me). Another couple of friends are all about farming, and going on ambitious farming runs.

I hope that, whatever the devs do, the game stays that way, rather than force people to play this way or that.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 24, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Reducing fall damage when in the radius of a workbench would be a nice quality of life improvement

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Valiant corpse recovery

I enjoyed this tale. Another!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Adding a creative mode down the line would silence a lot of the complaints. I would also like to see them add things like dynamite and redstones to make automating things a bit easier. I'm kinda torn on the base invasions. I get why they happen, but a way to at least turn it off would be very desirable and probably the only thing I'd consider modding in when it becomes available.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm modding in some meshes and textures and have run into a problem. Do any of you guys have a good understanding of the different texture formats and how they interact? I am having trouble reconciling the texture types used by modelers and the 3 types that are obvious for Valheim

Valheim seems to have BumpMap, MainTex, and MetallicGloss, but so many 3d models have AO, Albedo, Normal, and Roughness

I haven't figured out how to take those 4 types and make them conform to Valheim's naming schema.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The base invasions don't seem to... do anything, unless I make the mistake of leaving the gates open in the outer walls. Like, no one spawns, no one tries to break in, no one fights or anything.

Is it just that once your base gets big enough the invasion circle is too small to actually spawn anyone or what?

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
My corpse run story isn't so much about the corpse run itself, but about realizing another circumstance to avoid and some preparation in case I run into a similar issue.

Of the group I play with, I play the most often so I try not to progress too much when I'm on my own. I find scouting and surveying when I'm solo to be fun and can set up focused activity for when my friends can join.

I was scouting a landmass where we had recently established a foothold by sailing the edges in a Karve (rather than on foot), since I knew there were dangerous spots and we had only recently gotten into bronze. I was generally being pretty careful and keeping a decent distance from shore, because I knew there was some plains on the island and had seen funny videos of people getting nailed by deathsquitos.

I thought I was being plenty safe going paddle speed while sailing by moonlight, but then a fog bank set in. I was surprised shortly after seeing land in front of me MUCH closer than I expected. Immediately after, I realized it was plains on top of being just a few feet away and got a bit panicky trying to adjust course to not hit shore. That, of course, was interrupted by a deathsquito sighting which made me panic even more. As I'm turned around freaking out about the deathsquito and trying to take potshots at it in the fog I hear the boat crunch onto shore. I turn around again and see five giggling little bastards running at me. I panic even more and jump off of my ship thinking I could maybe run the shore until I got to safety, but either one of the fulings got me with a spear or the deathsquito caught up to me.

That definitely adjusted my scouting behavior while sailing afterward, and if a fog bank rolled in while in unexplored territory, especially at night and far from a portal, I would just come to a dead stop until I could see again. I also set aside a chest at my main base to be stocked with emergency Karve supplies and backup gear for recovery.

quietmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 24, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

The base invasions don't seem to... do anything, unless I make the mistake of leaving the gates open in the outer walls. Like, no one spawns, no one tries to break in, no one fights or anything.

Is it just that once your base gets big enough the invasion circle is too small to actually spawn anyone or what?

There's a lot of "out of sight out of mind" in the AI. Like I get invasions out in the plains and things just mill around outside the walls for a while then wander off cause they can't see me. If I go up on the walls, then all hell breaks loose.

Or just generically like mosquitos will run above the roof of my watchtowers and buzz angrily then seem to forget I'm there after a while and fly off

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is very true as well. There's a reason that all the portal materials are from the first two biomes.

because thats when the game wants you to access portals?? kinda backwards here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

If your base gets too big, or if you just throw down temporary craft stations to build and then disassemble and move on, sometimes enemies will spawn inside your base. Seems to just be a radius around wherever you happen to be standing when the event starts. I really wish they were a bigger threat though, even when a Troll or Surtling swarm spawns in your base it's like... swatting some flies. Even structural damage hasn't been that bad if you build well enough stuff has more than one ground route. Invasions in temporary bases were the hardest, if only because destroying those requires much less time. I hope eventually it takes into account the overall strength of your current location or gear. Maybe a few trolls would be scary if they came with a pack of wolves or drakes. Or perhaps it could see how handily you handle the previous invasion, if it ended and everything was long dead, obviously it wasn't much of a threat.

I think pathfinding is a big reason invasions are weak threats currently. Maybe there's a gap in a fence somewhere that nothing can fit through, but the pathfinding still tries to count it as a way in. I've had invasions where the mobs just seem confused what to do or where to go.

You can take advantage of it too, build your solid perimeter out of stone or wood, but leave a sizeable gap, ideally with a rock or tree trunk in it. Surround that gap with spike traps, watch as goobers line up to kill themselves trying to attack a spike trap that inherently places them in danger of another. Might have to repair or rebuild occasionally. Fulings it's less effective on since they can trash the spikes quicker, or a big boy might just thrash out.

bus hustler posted:

because thats when the game wants you to access portals?? kinda backwards here

The reason it only takes easy biome materials is so it can be something you can easily acquire and stock, carry with you, or even if not, procure materials on site. You can wash ashore naked almost anywhere and punch your way up to everything you need to bootstrap a portal. The low material cost and easy availability of mats means you can afford to poo poo out a portal just about anywhere.

Besides, with how stronk resting bonuses are, why not just portal to your comfy bed for the night, every night. We stopped building new beds once we had a dope main-base and portals unlocked.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 24, 2021

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Not sure what level invasions you're getting, but I absolutely have skeletons and goblins attacking my walls even when the gates are shut. I've had a pack of ~20 skeletons tear a hole in a stone wall and pour in.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It might be that I've got an inner wall and an out wall (i expanded the base at some point so the outer wall has the farm area and the stairs up to the treehouse) and the AI just can't deal with there being two of them.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I have one main base and I never change my spawn point unless Im making a new main base. I'll make tiny outposts to protect a portal when i land somewhere. No corpse run has been long for me yet. Im glad i still have my upgraded crude bow from the start. Thats been more useful than i anticipated.

I just cleared a swamp are and got 340 iron out of it. Set up a tiny outpost in a nearby black forrest, parked my boat, and started filling that cargo hold. Hopefully that amount will last me a good while.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the threat of enemies raiding your base or just dangerous night spawns wandering close combined with wanting shelter from rain and arrows and comfort and crafting and portals nearby is a decent incentive for making you want to plan out how your base is laid out and going full creative mode removes that incentive to worry about how you build it or even any purpose for it if you just cheat in every item in the game.

Game does a good job making building nice looking things easy while also challenging you with structural integrity, chimneys, local dangers and space for expansion, my first plains biome base looked like a fortress with trenches and raised dirt walls and fortifications extending outwards to prevent enemy spawns and have somewhere I can run and defend from 2 star fuling spear thrower ambushes.

If dying to those raids wasn't dangerous in anyway you would just run around naked to save inventory space and weight and going pure git gud to dodge every enemy attack because the only penalty is the walk from the nearest portal and there would be no incentive to fortify your bases from overwhelming enemy spawns because you could just throw yourself at them until you whittle them down.

My plains base is open to all the wildlife, I don't even have walls just a roof to keep the rain out and it's working fine. The previous base had walls and moats but when raids came, I would always jump outside and fight there so they wouldn't break poo poo or kill my pets.

Speaking of raids they're mostly a joke, you'll get a toughish one after each boss but they're mostly nuisance low level ones you're over geared for.

The 2 star spear thrower threat is real though, luckily fulings laugh a lot so you know when they're about and shouldn't get surprised by them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Woden posted:

The 2 star spear thrower threat is real though, luckily fulings laugh a lot so you know when they're about and shouldn't get surprised by them.

:hmmyes:

my number of deaths to fulings dropped markedly when i actually had my headset on with sound effects.

those two-star spear fuckers can still take a long walk off a short pier, though :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Khanstant posted:

If your base gets too big, or if you just throw down temporary craft stations to build and then disassemble and move on, sometimes enemies will spawn inside your base. Seems to just be a radius around wherever you happen to be standing when the event starts. I really wish they were a bigger threat though, even when a Troll or Surtling swarm spawns in your base it's like... swatting some flies. Even structural damage hasn't been that bad if you build well enough stuff has more than one ground route. Invasions in temporary bases were the hardest, if only because destroying those requires much less time. I hope eventually it takes into account the overall strength of your current location or gear. Maybe a few trolls would be scary if they came with a pack of wolves or drakes. Or perhaps it could see how handily you handle the previous invasion, if it ended and everything was long dead, obviously it wasn't much of a threat.

I think pathfinding is a big reason invasions are weak threats currently. Maybe there's a gap in a fence somewhere that nothing can fit through, but the pathfinding still tries to count it as a way in. I've had invasions where the mobs just seem confused what to do or where to go.

You can take advantage of it too, build your solid perimeter out of stone or wood, but leave a sizeable gap, ideally with a rock or tree trunk in it. Surround that gap with spike traps, watch as goobers line up to kill themselves trying to attack a spike trap that inherently places them in danger of another. Might have to repair or rebuild occasionally. Fulings it's less effective on since they can trash the spikes quicker, or a big boy might just thrash out.

The reason it only takes easy biome materials is so it can be something you can easily acquire and stock, carry with you, or even if not, procure materials on site. You can wash ashore naked almost anywhere and punch your way up to everything you need to bootstrap a portal. The low material cost and easy availability of mats means you can afford to poo poo out a portal just about anywhere.

Besides, with how stronk resting bonuses are, why not just portal to your comfy bed for the night, every night. We stopped building new beds once we had a dope main-base and portals unlocked.

Enemies can't spawn within the effective radius of a workbench. So if your base starts getting big, just add more workbenches spread throughout and it will prevent enemies from spawning inside the walls.