Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’d disconnect everything except cpu and a single ram stick and 24 and 8 pin connectors. Check the single stick in each slot, then the other stick the same way. The likelihood of it being ram is quite low if it does it with this.

I’d also pop the cmos battery just incase the previous owner had some fucky settings.

Depending on the motherboard there may be a pair of pins marked JBAT, you can disconnect the power and use either a jumper cap or bridge them with a flathead screwdriver for 5-10 seconds and that’ll reset the CMOS battery as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Why are Intel CPUs "DOA" for the time being?

I'm seeing the 10600k for quite a bit cheaper than a 5600X and on paper they look pretty similar.. would going Intel for this generation really be such a bad idea?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ben shapino posted:

Why are Intel CPUs "DOA" for the time being?

I'm seeing the 10600k for quite a bit cheaper than a 5600X and on paper they look pretty similar.. would going Intel for this generation really be such a bad idea?

If they're dead even in price the CPUs are equal if you overclock the 10600k to 5ghz, however intel motherboards, especially the Z series ones you would need in order to overclock and pull even with a 5600x are considerably more expensive than a comparable B550 motherboard for AMD, since you don't need to get the top chipset board in order to adjust clocks on Ryzen.

Right now intel CPUs are not in an attractive price/performance position. Don't know if the 11 series chips change that but 10 series CPUs get schooled pretty hard by zen 3.

Also the Intel 10600k has a 125W TDP, which means it's a power hungry SOB, doesn't have PCIe 4.0, and the Ryzen 5 5600x includes a CPU cooler, not a great cooler but it's perfectly serviceable.

The 11 series chips are out btw, but tech jesus panned the 11700k so far (literally called it a "waste of sand"), dunno if he's put out something regarding the 11600k yet, but the 11700k got its teeth kicked in by AMDs chips in the benchmarks he published, because of AMDs sizeable IPC lead over Intel so the 11600k probably isn't going to be different.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd get the Core i5 10400 if I didn't care that much about graphics cards, or if you just need a placeholder until graphics cards are attainable.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

admiraldennis posted:

Yeah. I like Fractal. Main workstation mentioned above is in a Define R6 & previous build was in an R5. HTPC is some reasonable older Corsair number, fileserver is in a beloved and ancient ultra-tall chieftec case with a ton of drive bays.

Of course, while Fractal does mercifully sell cases with no-window options, my local MicroCenter carries a total of six of their models, all with tempered glass (one is tinted tempered glass, though!).

If we have Fractal fans in the house I'd like to know if anyone has set up a push/pull CIC/AIC water cooling solution with the R4. How useful is the radiator slot on top?

I plan on putting the radiator on top and just cooling the CPU for now. Anyone who may be interested here are the specs: https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Define-R4-Window-PS.pdf.

The case is so old I don't think there are any videos on youtube concerning this. I'm probably just going to get a cooler and upgrade the case if need be. Apparently you can take the drive cage out of the R4 and mount a nice push pull at the front. This just seems better all around, but the novelty of using the top slots is too good to pass up.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

orange juche posted:

dunno if he's put out something regarding the 11600k yet

No, the embargo for reviews on the 11 series is the end of the month, but since GN and a few other places like Anandtech bought the 11700 at retail it’s fair game for them to review since if people can buy it you have to review it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

feedback loop posted:

Check out the PSU Tier List on the LinusTechTips forums. The blue and gold A Tier options are supposed to be the quietest picks. I bought a Fractal Ion+ 560W based on this thread's advice and I literally cannot hear it under gaming load

Ahh, awesome, great resource. Sad to see how many of those A-tier PSUs don't exist anymore. Going to try the NXZT C850 from the A-tier, tom's found the fans don't really kick in until 400w, and don't break 30db until 500w. That should keep me at silent unless I'm gaming, and at that point the GPU fans will be the louder component.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd get the Core i5 10400 if I didn't care that much about graphics cards, or if you just need a placeholder until graphics cards are attainable.

The only thing that bugs me about this is ram is limited to 2666 with that chip. I've priced out a decent budget WFH system that I can expand into a gaming PC later, but the only thing bugging me is the RAM speed with the 10400.

I guess I could solve most of these problems by just getting a GT 710 for now, and pricing out an AMD system. But I'd almost certainly be paying $100-200 more (at current Canadian prices).

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone here in the Ohio area near the Mayfield Heights Microcenter (or maybe near a Microcenter with less traffic)? Guy on a reddit thread saying it was a lot easier to get GPU drops there, wondering if that's still the case

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is there a generally agreed upon "best" GPU support bracket? I was installing a new fan on my cooler today and I noticed that my GPU is starting to show signs of sagging :/ and I think i should probably invest in one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

mA posted:

Is there a generally agreed upon "best" GPU support bracket? I was installing a new fan on my cooler today and I noticed that my GPU is starting to show signs of sagging :/ and I think i should probably invest in one.

I got recommended this one, and it's worked well for me. Though it may take some fiddling with the rubber bits to get a good fit on your specific GPU.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone here in the Ohio area near the Mayfield Heights Microcenter (or maybe near a Microcenter with less traffic)? Guy on a reddit thread saying it was a lot easier to get GPU drops there, wondering if that's still the case

As far as your chances of getting a GPU there, I'm not sure, but I would check out this discord I found for info about local Micro Center stores. https://discord.gg/W438Vz2 Pick your store from the choose store channel, then join the chat and see what's up. I do live near Mayfield Heights and was thinking about trying but I ended up getting a 3070 a different way and so never did.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
This is more or less my current build which is a few years old. I'm usually a few years behind current gen games, but I'm starting to run into issues with stuff I want to play. Is the GPU going to be my main limiting factor or do I need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo as well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CyberLord XP posted:

This is more or less my current build which is a few years old. I'm usually a few years behind current gen games, but I'm starting to run into issues with stuff I want to play. Is the GPU going to be my main limiting factor or do I need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo as well?

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

This is quite outdated. DDR3 RAM, only 250GB on the SSD, the CPU is is 7 years old and the GPU is 6 years old. If it's in your budget... it's probably time for an upgrade on everything. Unfortunately, GPU's are impossible to find right now at a reasonable price.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is quite outdated. DDR3 RAM, only 250GB on the SSD, the CPU is is 7 years old and the GPU is 6 years old. If it's in your budget... it's probably time for an upgrade on everything. Unfortunately, GPU's are impossible to find right now at a reasonable price.

Even the 550W PSU is a bit lean for a mid-range system today.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

You're probably looking at a full rebuild. Are you playing 1080p?

You should probably try and figure out if you're getting GPU or CPU bound when playing and start there if you're going for half at a time.

But frankly if you can only afford a half build you're probably better off saving the cash and waiting until you have enough to trigger a full build. By then we could be looking at DDR5 and you'll have a longer inter-generational upgrade period. We're basically at the end of the current board lifecycle.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I got this and a 5800:

Motherboard: *ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S ATX AM4 Motherboard

Am I boned if I don't have a 3000 series chip to flash the bios? I'm not seeing anything about flashback

Dollas fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 24, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dollas posted:

I got this:

Motherboard: *ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S ATX AM4 Motherboard

Am I boned if I don't have a 3000 series chip to flash the bios? I'm not seeing anything about flashback

Depends. Look at the box and see if it has a "AMD 3000 series ready" sticker. If it does it'll have the BIOS pre-flashed.

If it doesn't, yeah you'll have to figure out an alternative. Either return if for something different, or go to a PC shop and ask them to do it for a fee.

Or if you have friends ask around.

Edit: I mean 5000 series. I am an idiot without fingers.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 24, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Depends. Look at the box and see if it has a "AMD 3000 series ready" sticker. If it does it'll have the BIOS pre-flashed.

5000 series surely, or 'Zen 3 ready'?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

If it doesn't, yeah you'll have to figure out an alternative. Either return if for something different, or go to a PC shop and ask them to do it for a fee.

Or if you have friends ask around.

Or Ask AMD to send you a rent-CPU for that reason, they have a program for it.

AMD posted:

Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require pictures of your 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and AMD Socket AM4 400 Series motherboard, which clearly shows the model numbers and unique serial numbers as well as a copy of the purchase invoice(s) to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Once the RMA request is approved, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be sent with pre-paid return shipping. The processor is provided as a temporary loan to you for the sole purpose of updating the BIOS and must be returned within 10 business days of receipt. It is not necessary to return the provided thermal solution.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form
Fill in your full contact and product details (3rd Gen Ryzen Processor OPN number and serial number)
In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 24, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

5000 series surely, or 'Zen 3 ready'?

Yes, thanks.

AutismVaccine posted:

Or Ask AMD to send you a rent-CPU for that reason, they have a program for it.

I was not aware of this, thanks. That's a cool program, but is an infinite hassle to just buying another board.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Okay, a full rebuild is not unreasonable, I just wasn't sure if that was the case. Thanks for all the inputs, glad to know I ran this machine into the ground!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

admiraldennis posted:

Yeah. I like Fractal. Main workstation mentioned above is in a Define R6 & previous build was in an R5. HTPC is some reasonable older Corsair number, fileserver is in a beloved and ancient ultra-tall chieftec case with a ton of drive bays.

Of course, while Fractal does mercifully sell cases with no-window options, my local MicroCenter carries a total of six of their models, all with tempered glass (one is tinted tempered glass, though!).

I've got one of the tinted tempered glass ones! I have zero RGB and can barely see inside the machine - just a lil hint of the CPU cooler during the daytime - but I think the dark glass side gives the whole thing a nice classy look on my desk. It's normally essentially just a reflective surface. So I would actually recommend the dark tinted glass if you're wanting something a bit more subtle.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Looking to upgrade without a new GPU. Current card should still be good for a little while.

Current setup is:
i5-6600K 3.5Ghz
16GB DDR4
RTX 2060
Games are on a loose pile of SSDs with Windows on a mechanical drive.

Just going with the PCPartPicker Enthusiast Gaming/Streaming build featured prominently on their front page. The Ryzen I can get for $300 at Microcenter. Motherboards I know nothing about so it's hard to compare.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: *ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: *MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: *Team MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Power Supply: *EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Also I'd like to shove the old parts into a smaller case but it seems I'm limited by the 5in radiator hanging off the cpu. Am I just going to need another tower? If that's the case then it would be for the new PC and old parts can stay where they are.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

Games are on a loose pile of SSDs with Windows on a mechanical drive.

lolwut?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i've observed this happening quite a few times - i think people assume that to minimize loading times this config is optimal. people don't realize that game loading is hugely and nearly universally CPU bound - i've got an NVME SSD as my boot drive and a platter for my games (other than games like apex, where loading in fast after a crash is a competitive advantage) and it works great, highly recommended.

i have this cooler! it's solid, i found mounting is a pain in the rear end but otherwise no complaints.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

For the love of God never put an operating system on a mechanical drive are you mad?

Windows basically expects to have access to an SSD at this point you’re introducing probably all kinds of system lag.

Putting your game on an SSD helps the load time and that’s it.

So like that little screen where you can’t play with the bar going across: that’s the only thing it affects.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i've observed this happening quite a few times - i think people assume that to minimize loading times this config is optimal. people don't realize that game loading is hugely and nearly universally CPU bound - i've got an NVME SSD as my boot drive and a platter for my games (other than games like apex, where loading in fast after a crash is a competitive advantage) and it works great, highly recommended.

i have this cooler! it's solid, i found mounting is a pain in the rear end but otherwise no complaints.

I mean, why not keep windows AND the games your currently playing on an SSD?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

Soiled Meat
It's an old install of windows ok. I don't even know what version it started on. I even called Microsoft and convinced them to reactivate it after my last pc upgrade. Getting the OS on solid state is another reason for the build.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I mean, why not keep windows AND the games your currently playing on an SSD?

cause you can get an OK 1 or 2tb HDD for like, 30-40 quid, and you'd be very lucky getting an OK 1tb SSD for under 80. plus i had it spare from an old build and legit, OS on SSD and games on HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot.

people get it twisted because if you are running your OS off the same HDD you're trying to load from that's when you get the slooooooooooow loading times - your OS is constantly talking to whatever it's stored on and that + loading a game = several minute wait.

e:

BrainMeats posted:

It's an old install of windows ok. I don't even know what version it started on. I even called Microsoft and convinced them to reactivate it after my last pc upgrade. Getting the OS on solid state is another reason for the build.

you would be surprised how significant a difference it makes. like, do it right now and you'll get a more noticeable quality of life performance boost than probably any other single upgrade you can make, shy of upgrading several generations of CPUs or something.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

Are you saying it’s windows 10, but the key is old so therefore it’s an old install?

I mean you didn’t say why you want to upgrade, but your system is mostly fine for gaming.

You should move windows to an SSD and see if you still want to upgrade. If you have a “pile of ssds” it’s very easy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

cause you can get an OK 1 or 2tb HDD for like, 30-40 quid, and you'd be very lucky getting an OK 1tb SSD for under 80. plus i had it spare from an old build and legit, OS on SSD and games on HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot.

people get it twisted because if you are running your OS off the same HDD you're trying to load from that's when you get the slooooooooooow loading times - your OS is constantly talking to whatever it's stored on and that + loading a game = several minute wait.

e:

you would be surprised how significant a difference it makes. like, do it right now and you'll get a more noticeable quality of life performance boost than probably any other single upgrade you can make, shy of upgrading several generations of CPUs or something.

Yeah but windows is what, 40GB?

Get a 256 or 512 SSD and install the games you’re currently playing on the SSD, store the other games on the spinner.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BrainMeats posted:

You don't need to build a computer to clone a hard drive?

People used to pay $500 just to upgrade the mechanical OS to a SSD.

This is the biggest general performance upgrade a computer can have basically.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Get a 256 or 512 SSD and install the games you’re currently playing on the SSD, store the other games on the spinner.

i think i have a combined total of 2TB of SSD and 1TB HDD, and originally i did just that - use the steam archiving feature to move them around and keep it on quicker drives. it didn't take me long to realize doing that seemed like considerably longer than ingame loading, lol.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

Soiled Meat

Are you saying it’s windows 10, but the key is old so therefore it’s an old install?

I mean you didn’t say why you want to upgrade, but your system is mostly fine for gaming.

You should move windows to an SSD and see if you still want to upgrade. If you have a “pile of ssds” it’s very easy.

spunkshui posted:

You don't need to build a computer to clone a hard drive?

People used to pay $500 just to upgrade the mechanical OS to a SSD.

This is the biggest general performance upgrade a computer can have basically.

It is Windows 10, and yes I've been afraid of the cloning/replacing process for whatever reason. Or mostly just never had the inclination for it since things kept trucking along fine. Cracking open the case it looks like there's still two mechanical drives in there, but as I've needed more space I've been plugging in SSDs. Not the micro M2 cards I don't have any experience with those.

My current Z170 extreme3 boasts "1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4", that sounds like the hookup I need for the small form SSDs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i don't mean to oversell it or whatever but the absolute first thing i would recommend to anyone is "make sure your OS is on your fastest drive"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

It is Windows 10, and yes I've been afraid of the cloning/replacing process for whatever reason. Or mostly just never had the inclination for it since things kept trucking along fine. Cracking open the case it looks like there's still two mechanical drives in there, but as I've needed more space I've been plugging in SSDs. Not the micro M2 cards I don't have any experience with those.

My current Z170 extreme3 boasts "1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4", that sounds like the hookup I need for the small form SSDs.

Old install means more built up poo poo than can go wrong, it doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t benefit massively from an SSD.

Pick a ssd that has enough space for your OS install, wipe it, then clone to that ssd. It’s very easy I promise, and very hard to gently caress up.

If you’re worried about loving it up, right before wiping the other SSD just unplug the other drives. I’m not kidding when I say you may not feel the need to upgrade the system just by doing this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

yeah i don't mean to oversell it or whatever but the absolute first thing i would recommend to anyone is "make sure your OS is on your fastest drive"

Not to empty quote, but yeah, this.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

This is basically what I did.

256GB SSD for OS (and everything else really, I casually game at best)
2 x 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 for long-term storage. Mirroring a drive is remarkably simple in Win10, and doesn't require any additional software. Hard disks are like, what, half the cost of solid-state? Might as well backup your poo poo to 'em, especially if you have a few lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Putting games on an SSD is a nice QOL improvement, to the point I'd advise getting a single SSD at whatever price you were planning to spend on the SSD/HDD combo and deleting games you're not actively playing, but having your OS on an SSD is a necessity anymore.