Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Dareon posted:

As far as I understand it, bodily processes are bodily processes. When those cease, you die (But then there's literally being turned into stone and shattered, so my argument may be flawed from the get-go). After death, your soul tends to stick around in the form of pyreflies. Most of the time, this is harmless. Some deaths are quiet, and peaceful, and the decedent passes to the Farplane on their own. Some areas are thick with pyreflies, but not hostile.

But the aftermath of an attack by Sin has a lot of people who died in terror and fear. Those are the souls liable to become fiends, thus the sending. Attacks by fiends can also result in violent, negative-charged deaths, perpetuating the cycle.

Characters come back from shattering when the fight ends, so there’s a good chance that people revert from petrification eventually naturally. Speaking of which...

Dareon posted:

Yeah, on top of the kaiju problem, Spira has a zombie problem, only the zombies are wasps and turtles and poo poo.

Here’s a fun thing to think about : fiends - all fiends - are created from the spirits of dead people angry at the living. Fiends are also very common if encounter rates are to be trusted; you’ll often run into dozens of them on any path between places. How many people have died in Spira without being sent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Here’s a fun thing to think about : fiends - all fiends - are created from the spirits of dead people angry at the living. Fiends are also very common if encounter rates are to be trusted; you’ll often run into dozens of them on any path between places. How many people have died in Spira without being sent?
Could be the same ones coming back, to be fair. It's not like Yuna is Sending every fiend you kill.

...actually that might be worse.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

Given that most summonners seem to go on pilgrimage to Zanakarnd, there's probably not many summonners around to keep Sending.

Although Seymour has an Aeon and yet he is not a pilgrimage (given he's a Yevon Maester and all). So maybe some places have retired Summonners who gave up but can keep doing the rites. Not that Seymour would be very inclined to do so...

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Quantum Toast posted:

Could be the same ones coming back, to be fair. It's not like Yuna is Sending every fiend you kill.

I thought she was (the dance is just not shown onscreen so it can retain its proper narrative weight), hence the defeat animation of every fiend being an explosion of pyreflies that dissipates into the aether.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Falconier111 posted:

Characters come back from shattering when the fight ends, so there’s a good chance that people revert from petrification eventually naturally. Speaking of which...

It's technically a bit more complicated. All over the world, there are those pyreflies. These are basically pure magic of the land. Now these little buggers sort of read the emotions of people who recently died. And if they congregate, they produce monsters from bad ones. If the emotions are strong enough, those monsters appear human and mimic the thoughts of the living being.
That sending ritual basically deletes those emotions before the pyreflies can use them to murder people.

That being said, pyreflies have their upsides. They also produce aeons, all kinds of spheres and help holding your breath for a while.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 23, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's technically a bit more complicated. All over the world, there are those pyreflies. These are basically pure magic of the land. Now these little buggers sort of read the emotions of people who recently died. And if they congregate, they produce monsters from bad ones. If the emotions are strong enough, those monsters appear human and mimic the thoughts of the living being.
That sending ritual basically deletes those emotions before the pyreflies can use them to murder people.

That being said, pyreflies have their upsides. They also produce aeons, all kinds of spheres and help holding your breath for a while.

I mean, yeah, but how long do fiends last, and how many are generated from any one person? The Fiend Tales seem to want us to think that fiends directly emerge from individuals, which implies a 1:1 ratio and that is :stonklol:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Might wanna spoiler tag some of that, there's a few key points that haven't been made explicit yet.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 23, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bloody Pom posted:

Might wanna spoiler tag some of that, there's a few key points that haven't been made explicit yet.

Hmm fair. But you two should adjust your quotes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

A choice was made. A meaningless one in the grand scheme of things, but a choice nonetheless!
if you talk to Gatta again before the Operation & tell him to get to the front lines, he's the one that ends up dead & Luzzu is sitting here in his place.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

oldskool posted:

A choice was made. A meaningless one in the grand scheme of things, but a choice nonetheless!
if you talk to Gatta again before the Operation & tell him to get to the front lines, he's the one that ends up dead & Luzzu is sitting here in his place.

You remember how we found Gatta at the beach after Operation Mi'ihen failed? He's still there if you convince him to go, but when you talk to him he slumps over dead and Tidus loses it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 23: Moonflow, Baby, Here We Come!

46-Song of Prayer: Ixion-FFX OST (RECOMMENDED LISTENING)

:wave:

:wave:

:doh:

Barthello: :aaaaa:

Dona: What is it, Barthello? You know this riffraff?

Barthello: You are… Sir Auron, no?

What of it?

Dona: :cripes:

Auron laughs, then shakes his hand.

Barthello: Thank you, sir! This means so much to me!

Barthello: I swear, I’ll never wash this hand again!

Dona: Barthello, enough! Get back here – touch me with that hand and I’ll remove it.

Hang in there, buddy, eh?

Barthello: :vince:

Moments later…

… The chamber door slides open.

… That was quick.

Is… Is that…

Dona: You owe much to your father. All these guardians…and Sir Auron too? And I hear Maester Seymour’s quite taken with you.

This has nothing to do with my father!

Dona: Spare me. You aren’t “on your own” if you bring all your bodyguards with you. There are plenty of other summoners out there who don’t need six crutches just to get to their destination. And besides…

26-Good Night-FFX OST

Mornin’.

Welcome to the land of the living, ya?

Isn’t that kinda…

Kinda what?

Never mind. So, when do we get going?

We’re leavin’ once Yuna gets here.

I heard you’re leaving too. Good luck. I hope we meet again someday.

:smith:

Nun: She was working until dawn. Healing the wounded, sending the fallen.

Huh. Yeah, we can afford to wait for a bit…

… Or not.

Well, closer to 10, really.

10?!

She dashes around the room looking for things, and I mean dashes: her walk cycle is faster and everything.

Don’t worry! It’s okay!

:derp:

Her walk cycle is still at double speed.

Sorry! I’m so sorry! Please forgive me!

Really, there’s no rush… Your hair is a mess. Come here.

A summoner with bedhead! What’s the world comin’ to, eh?

Why didn’t anyone wake me up?

You were snoring louder than we could shout.

Sir Auron! You too?!

:cawg:

(I know it was kind of a lame thing to laugh that hard about, but after what we just gone through… I hadn’t laughed like that in a long time. It was only later that I realized the only one really laughing then was me. Laughing must have been the only thing keeping them going.)

Our first order of business is heading back down that bridge –

WAIT.

Kyou: Then a monk told me that if I had time for remorse, I should spend it praying. He’s right. It’s my duty to pray for my departed men.

Yeah, gently caress that.

Do this instead. I specifically remember this guy being a mainstay of my team back in the day. I immediately drop a fat stack of gil hiring him for 10 games because like hell am I missing this opportunity. I also seem to remember him vanishing into the aether if you don’t recruit him here, so I’m not taking that chance.

I have rested well enough. Will you be leaving too?

Lucil: Yes. First we cross the Moonflow, and then we head into the interior to hunt for wild chocobos.

Isn’t that dangerous?

Elma: Yes, but we’ll stick to the outskirts where the fiends aren’t quite as dense. Once we find chocobos, our Mounted Forces will ride again!

Aren’t you… Missing someone?

Elma: What took you so long? We’re leaving!

Elma: Pretty much, yeah.

Clasko: :nallears:

Lucil: Lady Yuna, I wish you good fortune. Elma! Clasko! Let’s go!

Elma: Ma’am!

Clasko: Can’t – can’t I just rest a second…?

Elma: No complaints!

Clasko: :negative:

So, where to next? …Guadosalam, I think?

That’s later. We cross the Moonflow first.

All right, Moonflow, baby, here we come!

:rolleyes:

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 28. Sprouting (RECOMMENDED LISTENING)

Once we finish up our business at the temple, the game switches out the music for the whole area we just went through for this track, which sticks around through the next area, too. Our first order of business is to ignore forward progression and go back down the road towards the beach. See, I forgot that there was a Primer behind one of these pillars and the game cleverly blocks you from going back to the crossroads once you’ve hit the bridge to the temple. The bad news?

I had to wade my way through a bunch more random encounters. The good news?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqfkwhCM7i1rk96q7.mp4

It gave me time to show off our new lightning unicorn. Ixion is an elemental summon like Ifrit, but he’s much more magic-oriented than his Fire-type cousin, complete with both Thunder and Thundara.

(She says, “My name's Yuna. Pleased to meet you.” It came out a bit garbled.)

His special attack, Aerospark, does damage and negates magic-based buffs as well as looking pretty great…

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqflmw6V5x1rk96q7.mp4

… And his Overdrive is a generic Thunder damage dealer that looks pretty :science:. A useful addition to the stable, definitely, but nothing too spectacular. Fun fact: elemental summons are healed whenever somebody uses the appropriate element against them, and in fact this is basically the only way many Aeons can heal between save spheres. I will probably be abusing this property a couple areas down the line.

At this point, if you really want to, you can backtrack all the way back to the ferries and return to Kilika or Besaid. The devs even rewrote the dialogue of like half the NPCs to reference things that happened since you left and put in a couple items you can get through conversation (on the S. S. Winno, you can count all the seagulls on the boat and get a special Wakka weapon from an ornithologist for your trouble). At least, that’s what the script I’m referencing says, because like gently caress am I heading all the way back to actually make sure. I’m gonna take their word for it.

But if we take the north path at the intersection that leads to the temple…

…We enter another area, with another enemy difficulty spike. You see that Lord Ochu? That’s the Lord Ochu - with a bonus 2500 HP! What was once an optional boss is now a random encounter that almost always shows up with other fiends. These things are irritating roadblocks that make dealing with the otherwise inoffensive enemies along this path a lot harder. It’s not impossible, I just end up using Flee a lot more than I’m comfortable with (JRPG instincts, I am compelled to grind). Unlike previous areas, out here there aren’t many wandering NPCs we can shake down for goodies. That doesn’t mean it’s empty, though.

Lady Yuna!

…Shelinda? Right?

You remembered me! I’m honored.

Well, of course I remembered you, I didn’t recognize your face at first…

May I ask if you are continuing your pilgrimage?

Of course!

We can all learn a lesson from what has happened to the Crusaders. Only the summoners have a hope of defeating Sin. I think I’ll stop in Guadosalam and volunteer my services there; it’s been years since I’ve spoken to the Guado. They are a very welcoming people.

… Lady Yuna? Can I ask a favor of you and your guardians?

Depends.

There’s a pair of Ronso further up the path. They’ve been confronting travelers. I’m a bit… Could you go and, I don’t know, talk to them?

We’ll get rid of them.

The human between them books it when we approach.

Biran: Yenke! Look! One of Kimahri’s friends. Looks just like him.

… What?

Biran: Both follow summoners on all fours! Hornless goatlings!

They break out laughing. The rest of the party just kind of stares.

Yenke: Summoners disappear. Never return.

Biran: Next will be Kimahri’s summoner.

Yenke: Poor Kimahri! Lost his horn, next lose his summoner!

Biran: Pitiful Kimahri! Howl alone! Howl alone!

:stat: and :wal: laugh again before walking away.

:hmmno:

What, they’re just dicks?

Kimahri will deal with them.

And I’ll be at your back!

No. Kimahri alone.

It’s Kimahri’s problem. We can’t interfere; it’s a rule.

:hai:

Well, suit yourself :shrug:.

Summoners disappearing… I’ve heard rumors about that. More than I’d like. It doesn’t bode well.

They aren’t just disappearing into thin air.

Yeah, I’ve heard about that too, but…

Confident, aren’t we?

Yep! I’m pretty sure we can take anything anybody throws at us.

Why did you have to say that :cripes:.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 24, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ugh, Dona is just the worst character. Who decided Amber from Clueless would be a good summoner?

StolenTeeth
Oct 11, 2016

Falconier111 posted:

Update 23: Moonflow, Baby, Here We Come!

… And his Overdrive is a generic Thunder damage dealer that looks pretty :science:. A useful addition to the stable, definitely, but nothing too spectacular. Fun fact: elemental summons are healed whenever somebody uses the appropriate element against them, and in fact this is basically the only way many Aeons can heal between same spheres. I will probably be abusing this property a couple areas down the line.

Did you mean to say "save spheres" here?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ugh, Dona is just the worst character. Who decided Amber from Clueless would be a good summoner?

WTF is her outfit?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

StolenTeeth posted:

Did you mean to say "save spheres" here?

That I did. Fixing it soon.

Violet_Sky posted:

WTF is her outfit?

I’m pretty sure they’re both wearing bondage gear. They’re really into the lifestyle.

E: Also, Clueless? Really going for the period-appropriate deep cuts, I see. That show was before my time and I was old enough to play FF7 when it was released.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 24, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Show"?

You have hurt me in a way no person ever has

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Falconier111 posted:

I mean, yeah, but how long do fiends last, and how many are generated from any one person? The Fiend Tales seem to want us to think that fiends directly emerge from individuals, which implies a 1:1 ratio and that is :stonklol:

It's not always 1:1, one of the Chimera type Fiend Tales has a whole family become one monster with each one controling a different head.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

TheKirbs posted:

It's not always 1:1, one of the Chimera type Fiend Tales has a whole family become one monster with each one controling a different head.

That kind of makes it even worse, since it implies the overall number of fiends is lower than the number of people who have died without being sent, and they STILL seem to outnumber humans by a substantial margin.

But I have a theory about this:

First off, fiends might be able to reform some time after they’re killed, since they evaporate into pyreflies faster than they can be reasonably sent and there’s no reason to believe their consciousnesses vanish, which is really sketchy, I know, but whatever. Second of all, if you look at a map of Spira, there are huge inland areas east of Guadosalam and west of the Calm Lands that no one talks about. I believe those areas are completely full of fiends, so much so that people never go there. Within those areas, they form active ecosystems – part of why so many of them look like animals, they’re filling ecological niches – and they keep their numbers under control via predation. Whenever humans show up, they immediately turn hostile, but when they’re left to their own devices they just do their own thing up there.

I bet the Fiend Tales contradicts this, though, so :shrug:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Falconier111 posted:

I believe those areas are completely full of fiends, so much so that people never go there. Within those areas, they form active ecosystems – part of why so many of them look like animals, they’re filling ecological niches – and they keep their numbers under control via predation.

I've always tried to get the word "necrosystem" to catch on, to describe Spira's version of an ecosystem. Have I finally found the right audience?!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bifauxnen posted:

I've always tried to get the word "necrosystem" to catch on, to describe Spira's version of an ecosystem. Have I finally found the right audience?!

I mean you have now given me five new ideas for my tabletop campaign world, so there's that.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Bifauxnen posted:

I've used necrosystem for it as well! You're not alone!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 24: Like A Sea Of Stars

Belgemine: I heard you took part in Operation Mi’ihen. You’ve seen that machina aren’t the answer. In the end, only summoners can hope to defeat Sin.

Of course. I only hope I can live up to my responsibility.

Belgemine: I can help with that, if you like. I propose a contest of aeons. A friendly contest, of course.

Let us.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqng5xTkXB1rk96q7.mp4

… You don’t have to move or sing to summon?

Belgemine: I have long, long years of experience.

Well, then I can do this, too!

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qqng8sTMjF1rk96q7.mp4

Belgemine:… I can’t say I’ve seen that before. I’m impressed. Now don’t hold back! Show me what you’ve learned.

(That was short summoning, a QoL feature that cuts down on redundant summoning animations. Pretend being able to do that is impressive in-universe. I thought it was part of the rerelease until just now, so don’t tell the thread that :ssh:.)

This battle really isn’t anything to write home about; it’s simply a brawl that pits one of your older Aeons against her Ixion. Funny thing about Valefor: she’s by far the flimsiest summon in the game and doesn’t have much firepower. However, many enemies actually change their attack patterns when she shows up to miss her more often (she does fly, after all). It only took me a few turns of dodging and casting Water…

… Before I win.

Belgemine: Here, your prize. Go on, take it.

What prize, you ask? Some kind of item or piece of equipment? Oh Yevon, no. We received the Summoner’s Soul, which…

Aeons don’t learn spells or abilities naturally; it’s not like they have a Sphere Grid to travel down. Instead, you combine various rare items in preset patterns to teach them new tricks. What items, you ask? We’ll get to that later. While almost every summon can pick stuff up this way, you can only teach them appropriate moves; no Blizzard for Ifrit. Except for Valefor, who can learn almost anything. She’s pretty great like that.

This is the Moonflow.

These are moonlilies!

It’s true. The entire river glows, like a sea of stars.

Huh, drat. Hey –

We’re not waiting till nightfall.

What’s that, some kinda ferry?

Nah. Look over here.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 47. Shoopuff Riding

:aaa: Let’s ride it! Come on, let’s go!

We board soon as we’re ready, ya?

And we’re –

Tidus, come here.

:sigh: Fine.

Look. Do you see that scar?

Yyeees?

Surprised, he drew his blade and struck it.

Why?

He was drunk… Thought it was a fiend.

Sounds about right.

We offered all the money we had as an apology. Jecht never drank again. But, it would seem that shoopuf still works here.

Was that seriously all it took? He just… Stopped?

The process was much longer. But he made his promise here, and he almost never broke it.

Yeah, “almost”, huh?

Once, a few months later. And never again.

… drat, maybe we should’ve just taken him to the zoo.

This area has a couple screens for us to sift through, all of which have at least a couple things to check up on.

For instance, we get another chance to make use of O’aka, but for the first time ever he doesn’t have any additional dialogue to break out. He just greets you. He does, however, prove his worth if you bothered to invest properly early on; there are a few other merchants a couple screens down, and if you paid enough to get his price cut, he blows their prices right out of the water. Speaking of which…

Uh, why is he…

They put on the accent for tourists.

Lucil: Please, we beg of you!

Driver: Imposhibibble! Imposhibibble!

Wow. What’s wrong?

Elma: This guy won’t let our chocobo on the shoopuf!

Well...

Elma: It’s just not fair!

Clasko: Uh…He does have a point, though.

Elma: So, what? We just leave him behind?

Clasko: Hey, I didn’t say that. Just…

Lucil: :sigh: We will have to find another way. We can find a ford and cross on foot.

Clasko: But…that’ll take days!

Lucil: Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Clasko: :cripes:

Very well! There are many things we do not know about the shoopuf. For example, what does it eat? It eats nothing! The water it sucks through its schnoz somehow supports its considerable size. Some theorize it eats teeny-weeny waterborne organisms. And that, as they say, is that.

Thanks –

What’s that? Perhaps you’d like to hear a bit about the Hypello, hmm?

No more stories, please!

These shoopuf handlers belong to a race of water-dwellers known as the Hypello. They may be slow on land, but in the water they’re quick as silvery fish! You’d think they’d make admirable players of blitzball. But their lackadaisical disposition draws them to less strenuous pastimes. And that, as they say, is that.

We’ve got plenty of other NPCs that we can bug here, but they don’t have all that much to say. But wait, is that a save sphere I spy?

I’ve mentioned how every Blitzball team has a gimmick: the Luca Goers are good on offense, the Ronso Fangs are all tanks, the Guado Glories (who I’m pretty sure I didn’t show) are speed demons, the Kilika Beasts (which I know I didn’t show) kind of suck.

I think the Al Bhed Psyches’s gimmick is that they’re better than you. Almost all of their players have better stats than yours (at least early on), but that’s not the reason you should fear them: their goalie, Nimrook, is probably the best catcher in the game. As of writing this update, I have yet to let a team score goal on me. In my one game with the Psyches, I couldn’t score a single goal on them. Not even with the Jecht Shot. It’s an oft-noticed fact that back in Luca the Aurochs were apparently able to sweep the toughest team in Spira before facing off against the much weaker Goers. In game, if you can’t beat the Goers, you’ll never beat the Psyches.

Speaking of tournaments!

We’ve already covered league and exhibition matches, so let’s go ahead and round the roster out, so to speak. Tournaments are pretty self-explanatory. Really, the only thing I should need to cover is the prize structure: first place gets a powerful item, second place gets a Technique any eligible player can learn on the spot, third place (whoever wins the consolation prize) gets a shittier item, and whichever team had the player who scored the most goals gets a Technique of their own. I think, I don’t exactly have hard data to back those four data points up.

I got insanely fortunate with my matchup here. The Goers haven’t gotten any better since our last dustup and they go down almost without a fight. On the other hand? The Guado Glories are a solid team, definitely, but they really shouldn’t have been able to beat the Psyches like that. Until the Psyches lose their goalie, tournaments are kind of a crapshoot; either you don’t face the Psyches, in which case you probably win, or you do, in which case you go into unlimited overtime until one side or another finally fucks up and lets a ball in.

Since I lucked into the first option, I won the tournament without a single point scored against me. All in all, pretty unremarkable from a mechanical perspective, with one exception.

This basic Ronso here can use Tidus’s Sphere Shot. I don’t think he ever had the chance to learn it from him. Did he invent it on his own? Did he find 1000-year-old records in the ruins and reconstruct it? We may never know how he got his hands on such a potent Technique.

While we’re on the topic, I have a dastardly plan I’d like to run by the thread to see what everyone thinks and check if it might be viable. So, while Nimrook has a pretty terrifying CA, he also has a couple Techniques that add some nice bonuses to his catching ability – at least one of which has to be activated, which implies it takes HP to use like other active Techniques. On the other hand, Shaami has a technique called Venom Shot; it inflicts Poison on a goalie it hits sometimes, and Poison prevents HP recovery. Here’s my plan:
  • I get the ball to Shaami and have her use Venom Shot from far out enough that it doesn’t have a ghost of a chance of getting through.
  • The ball hits Nimrook, Poisoning him.
  • I have people who aren’t Tidus start shooting like crazy.
  • Nimrook activates his Techniques over and over again, draining his HP.
  • Eventually, he runs out of HP, preventing him from using his Techniques.
  • I send Tidus in and score a goal with Jecht Shot.
  • I get one of my players the ball and send them behind my goal; the AI’s pathfinding breaks down when you do this and it will spend the rest of the match milling around unable to touch me.
Issues?
  • I have no guarantee I’ll be able to whittle down his HP fast enough to disable his Techniques before the end of the round.
  • While I’m confident my team is good enough to keep my goal safe, every time Nimrook deflects a shot is another chance for them to score, since his team will almost always get the ball afterward.
  • This is the absolute cheesiest strategy and I should feel bad for using it, but I don’t.

So who knows?

Anyway, I win the tournament handily.

For having Tidus on my team I get a nice Technique to distribute, and for winning I get an X-Potion, which automatically restores any character to full health. I really don’t need this item right now, but I’ll find a use for it – a very good use – within an update or two.

It’s at this point that I realize I made a rather infuriating planning error. You remember Rikku, our second party member, may she presumably rest in peace? She has a Sphere Grid of her own, and I spent the last five or so updates trying to quietly powerlevel Kimahri until he could grab her Steal and Use skills. Had I been able to pull it off, he would have been able to spend his turns in random encounters nicking people’s poo poo instead of attacking or guarding. Tragically, though, it just wasn’t enough. Oh well.

At this point, we’ve spent far too much time screwing around on the wharf. It’s time to get going.

Hypello Ferryman: Ebullibody in! Ebullibody in!

:swoon:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 28, 2021

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always send Kimahri down Rikku's path as well. He's never going to be an especially effective combat character so may as well give him some utility skills.

I mostly like the Hypello in general, but oof that accent.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I'm 99% sure the original FFX let you switch between long and short summoning scenes, which was rather considerate of them.

As for your Venom Shot strategy, I remember doing something kinda like that because I wanted to see if I could get a goalie's health down to 0. I didn't even get close, but I'm sure I didn't go about it the optimal (or cheesiest, if you prefer) way.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EggsAisle posted:

I'm 99% sure the original FFX let you switch between long and short summoning scenes, which was rather considerate of them.

As for your Venom Shot strategy, I remember doing something kinda like that because I wanted to see if I could get a goalie's health down to 0. I didn't even get close, but I'm sure I didn't go about it the optimal (or cheesiest, if you prefer) way.

Yeah you'd have to see the long sequence at least once but you could definitely opt for the shorter one on PS2.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I played the original on PS2 and short summoning was an option, although I don't know if it was introduced in the international version like the expert sphere grid and the post-game super bosses or if the 1.0 JP version had it from the start.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Welp, looks like I misremembered that. Gonna go back and change that later-

:havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat:

:psyboom:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe the Psyches needed to kidnap Yuna so that they Psyches could win because they had Nimrook on the kidnapping team to kidnap Yuna... so that they could... beat... the Aurochs... without... Nimrook?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Welp, looks like I misremembered that. Gonna go back and change that later-

:havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat:

:psyboom:
Congrats!

That combination of you-might-also-likes is mystifying to me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm slightly concerned with 85 SSLP updates in a three-week binge from late October to mid-November.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

oldskool posted:

I'm slightly concerned with 85 SSLP updates in a three-week binge from late October to mid-November.

I have no idea what’s happening there, it actually ended in early February. Still, there was a period of months where my work was so light I was worried I was going to get fired; I put out about an update a day to keep myself distracted.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 16 posted:

Lulu: But...why?

Auron: I promised Braska.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Thanks, got it!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 25: Only As Bad As Their Users

Hey, Tidus!

Mm?

Take a look off the side.

I’m not showing it off in the images because it would just be shot after shot of underwater stone buildings, but Tidus isn’t kidding when he calls it a city; the ruins are enormous, big enough that we spend the next couple minutes just panning over them.

A machina city– a thousand years old! They built this city on top of bridges across the river.

And under the water as well, to some extent. Its inhabitants were once human, but they decided to change themselves so they could breathe underwater. In time, they became the Hypello.

Using machina to add things to your body… It’s pretty messed up, ya?

Yeah, I can’t even imagine.

And then the whole thing collapsed and fell into the water. They got so addicted to using machina it backfired. It’s a good lesson. When humans have power, they seek to use it. If you don’t stop them, they go too far.

Like the stadium and stuff, right?

The Church sets guidelines for what we may and may not use.

Arenas? Yeah, those are good. We can’t build any more, though, ‘cause then we might get distracted. Tournaments every day get boring and eat up too much time, ya? That’s no good.

We can use sphere recordings and broadcast them across Spira, but we can’t own personal receivers or send messages to individuals, unless it’s on church business. We can use machina that pull our plows or move our boats, but they can’t be self-propelled; you have to use humans or chocobos to provide power.

And you can never, under any circumstances, use war machina.

That… That all sounds kinda arbitrary. If you don’t mind me saying.

It’s not “arbitrary”! Those restrictions exist to keep us focused and stop us from getting lazy! If we get lazy, we start looking to machina to solve all our problems.

We can’t afford to let that happen…

War, huh?

Over a thousand years ago, the great machina cities that covered Spira became complacent. Since machina could give them almost anything, they got used to getting everything they wanted. So, when they decided they wanted things from their neighbors? They got mad. And they attacked, with machina.

I’ve heard people talking about this Machina War from time to time…

Yes, that’s the one. Spira was covered in city-states back then, but they destroyed each other one by one. The Hypello cities were some of the first to fall, actually. At the beginning of the War, Spira had something like a hundred times as many people living in it as there are alive today; by the end, as few as one in one thousand survived.

… drat.

That’s why fiends are so common; no one could possibly send them all. That and the necrosystems in the interiors, but I think Lulu would explain that better. But, eventually, so many people died…

… that they became the greatest fiend of all: Sin.

It’s too big to send without using the Final Aeon, and even then, unless we can all purify ourselves of our desires and stop being lazy, we’ll just bring it back.

Man, that’s rough.

Yeah.

But, it’s not like the machina are bad in and of themselves, right?

Only as bad as their users.

That’s why I hate the Al Bhed! They use machina all the time and do whatever they want! We can’t get rid of Sin until they –

Something rumbles.

Everyone gets up to look off the sides.

…Yuna, get away from the edge!

The Al Bhed!

(How is Wakka talking underwater here?)

No, Yuna won’t be contributing from inside her bubble. This is an underwater fight, after all, and they only have so many underwater character models. Also she’s being held captive.

As far as boss battles go, this one isn’t all that terrifying. Its basic attack, Aqua Shooter, smacks one character for a couple hundred HP, but that’s not what you have to look out for.

This time, the gimmick is yet another charge-up attack; as per usual, if you deal enough damage before the charging period ends, it will cancel its move, sheepishly floating back down. If you don’t…

… It literally drops depth charges on you, hitting both party members multiple times for comical damage. Fortunately, though, it only takes a couple hits to cancel the attack, and since you have Tidus along with you, you can make use of a pair of Hastes to pump out damage faster than it could hope to match. I didn’t even have to use any healing items.

No, no, I’m fine.

Hypello Ferryman: Ish ebullibody okay?

Yeah, I think we’re good now.

drat the Al Bhed! What do they want from us? Could it have something to do with Luca? What are they after Yuna for? Was it ‘cause they lost the tournament? That doesn’t make any sense

… They must be the ones disappearing summoners.

That’s it! Kidnapping innocent people, taking them off to do God knows what to them…

We’ll protect Yuna from anyone, anywhere. Now that we know what to look out for, I bet we can fight them off even easier next time.

Well… I guess so.

We’ll see.

Hey, uh, guys? While you finish unloading, I’m gonna run off for a bit. Be right back!

Drink less next time.

:rolleyes:

That’s a load off my… uh…

Are… Are you okay?

????:…

Okay, look. This next scene is basically her just removing her armor to reveal her street clothes. It is also, however, shot almost exactly like a striptease. No joke, the camera goes right back to the rear end shots as bits of clothing fall down, it’s pretty blatant. It made me JUST uncomfortable enough not to want to capture screenshots of it – given that she is, again, sixteen. But hey.

Hey! You’re okay! How you been?

… Terrible.

Yeah, you don’t look so good. What happened?

Wait, were you piloting that machine back there?

Yep, that was me. That really hurt, you big meanie!

Dude, you tried to kidnap Yuna right in front of us!

Nope. It’s not exactly what you think.

Yo! Friend of yours?

Oh, poo poo.

Pleased to meet you! I’m Rikku!

Yuna, Lulu… I told you about her, remember? She was the one who helped me before I was washed up on Besaid! She’s an Al – uh – she was always there for me when I first washed up here!

:raise:

Wow, so you, like, owe her your life! What luck meeting here, ya?

Yeah, definitely.

So, uh… Rikku… You look a little beat up! You okay?

Wakka.

Huh? What?

There’s something the three of us need to discuss.

Girls only! Boys please wait over there!

… Okay?

Sir Auron…

Would you.

Oh, okay.

No. Open your eyes. Look at me.

As I thought.

Um. No good?

It won’t be a problem. Are you certain?

A hundred percent!

I do!

Just like that, eh?

Rikku’s good people. I probably would’ve died if she hadn’t helped me out!

Hey, hey, not saying it’s a bad thing. I’m for it! The more, the merrier!

Then I’ll be the merriest!

:hf:

Rikku, at your service!

(Looking back, it was kind of strange.)

(…He never guessed Rikku was one of them.)

The next stretch of road is pleasantly forested, even if the same Goddamn track we were hearing back at Djose is still playing. But, appropriately enough for having just picked up a new party member, our first fight here is another scripted encounter.

Rikku is our obligatory Final Fantasy thief character, if you couldn’t tell that already from the last time we had her along. Just about every enemy has some item you can Steal from them; most of the time those items aren’t particularly exciting (another hi-potion? Yeah, sure, whatever), but sometimes they can be different kinds of grenades, pieces of equipment, or other exotic goods that play into the two other mechanics she unlocks.

All equipment has the bonuses it provides split into discrete categories; Wakka’s weapon, say, might have slots that say +5% Strength, +3% Strength, Scout, and one that’s empty, which means with it equipped his Strength goes up 8% and you can see an enemy’s stats and weaknesses while he’s out. However, using the right combination of items (most of which you need to Steal), you can add tags as you like (you can't switch them out, though). For instance, you could add Silencetouch, which gives you a chance to Silence the target every time it hits, making it perfect for the next area. This system is pretty ripe for abuse, but it doesn’t compare to Rikku’s Overdrive.

I’m gonna use that item I just got on you! You’ll be sorry!

:smugdog:

Mix simply combines any two items in your inventory for a predetermined effect. You don’t get any guidance on which items cause which affects, so you just have to use trial and error (or buy the Official Prima Strategy GuideTM). But the kinds of effects you can milk out of the system… Mix is usually considered the most broken Overdrive in the game because of all the wacky poo poo you can pull with the right items in your inventory and a full bar. Someday… Someday, I’ll have the right items to show it off properly.

This area doesn’t last that long. The encounter rate is relatively low, and roughly a third of the time they have a treasure chest you can steal from instead of an enemy; the game doesn’t even count the chests AS enemies, so if you save one for last the battle will end before you can get your rewards. Soon enough, we get in position to meet this game’s answer to elves.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 1, 2021

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Falconier111 posted:

That’s why fiends are so common; no one could possibly send them all. That and the necrosystems in the interiors, but I think Lulu would explain that better.

Hehe, noice.

Don't want to get too into details yet in case of spoilers, but I'm really liking how the religion and history discussion is fleshed out more in this update.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always felt it kinda neat that the Extractor is just the Blitzball robot with extra greebles. I realize it's mostly asset re-use, but there's no reason it couldn't be in-universe asset re-use. "They beat up our robot and ripped the blitzball launcher off it, what do we do?" "...Stick the Summoner Box on top instead." Or they just have a bunch of similar chassis on-hand.

Notably, this is not the first time in the series that you beat up a robot and have a party member fall out. In VIII, you send a B team off on a mission, and at the end of it, they fight a heavy assault tank. Later, your A team encounters a beat-up, berserk version of the assault tank, and when you beat it, your B team falls out and reveals they couldn't see what was going on and were pressing buttons randomly. It is not the stupidest plot development in that game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The fact that Yuna shows up on the battle rewards screen there had me thinking for the longest time that I was missing some secret in that battle

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

When I played FFX for the first time as a wee 5 or 6 year old, Extractor was as far as I got. I ran from nearly every battle and my underlevelled Tidus/Wakka weren't close to enough to win. I did realise my mistake and started a whole new game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh joy. Wakka using obvious racial slurs followed by near-nude shots of a sixteen year old girl. What a classy game this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

However, using the right combination of items (most of which you need to Steal), you can replace, remove, or add tags as you like. For instance, you could add Silencetouch, which gives you a chance to Silence the target every time it hits, then switch out Scout for Watertouch (which adds a water element to its attack), making it perfect for the next area.
As far as I can remember, you can only add, not replace or remove? I remember there being one vendor who only sells equipment with four empty slots, just so you can build them up however you like.