Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The big safe ones are cool, but the only time I went on a garden one I twisted my ankle within 5 minutes.

I loved jumping on my friend's trampoline but when I have kids I'll be terrified to let them have one even if it's affordable and we have a big enough garden. They're screaming metal deathtraps.

e: 129 children break their legs in trampoline related accidents every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess some of them have the netting on the inside, whereas others just leave the railings exposed to snare you. The tramampoline vs trambopoline distinction

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Reveilled posted:

And if that doesn't work, well, my read of pro-indy sentiment is that basically nobody is willing to actually pick up a gun for it.

basically yeah, the UK only understands violence

and england absolutely would invade scotland if thats what it takes to stop them breaking away. (in a restrained and photogenic manner ofc)
in a way that they wouldnt do to the irish nowadays, the english don't fear the scottish.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Wow the last time I checked a few weeks ago Labour was on course for a majority, what happened?

Also Mark Drakeford is probably the only left winger in a senior position in labour so it would definitely suck if he lost his seat and would definitely lead to more apparatchiks saying that its evidence labour needs to shift even further right.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kier Starmer happened

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

namesake posted:

BBC news at one finished off introducing a Syrian refugee who charted their journey over the water to get to the UK with 'they have described themselves as a Labour supporter' for no reason i can see other than attempting to bias the audience against them.

Now that's what I call entryism

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Reveilled posted:

Well, in the current parliament it doesn't make much of a difference. I do think it would damage legitimacy, though. Westminster certainly would still have the power (in which case it's back to the "are you willing to pick up a gun?" question), but legitimacy is about prestige and public perception, and if nothing else, it would damage those things in Scotland I think, and I genuinely think it would do the same in England and abroad. I think the tories would want Johnson's head over it at least, regardless of how it affects their majority.

The SNP becoming abstentionist would be super interesting that's for sure. Now I can't decide whether that's unlikely to happen (it seems like a potentially very smart move, but this is the dumbest timeline) or likely to happen (Boris Johnson in the dumbest motherfucker on the continent and this is the dumbest timeline; Johnson will definitely lose Scotland somehow)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just hope UKIP and the Abolish the Assembly twats get the boot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aluminium tube scrap value is like a 50p a kilo, tops, and there's what, 20 kilos in a trampoline frame? Maybe 5 kilos of spring steel which goes for about a quid a kilo. Maybe if you live right next to the scrappy and can just walk it across it's worth it and even then that doesn't account for the time spent dismantling it.

I guess most of you misunderstood this as economics, it's not. I walk to the scrappy to bring home more scrap.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rumda posted:

yeah I would have loved a decent sized trampoline as a kid we had a small fold away one when me and my brothers were young

I had two old spring mattresses that had a pretty good bounce when put on top of each other. I remember one birthday party that's was our "entertainment" for the kids visiting. Ah the 80s. Then some cats peed on them and they threw them away.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tories taking over aspects of Liverpool council for three years, Keith says "it's all good, gently caress those moaning Scouse cunts."

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1374723237280690178

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aluminium tube scrap value is like a 50p a kilo, tops, and there's what, 20 kilos in a trampoline frame? Maybe 5 kilos of spring steel which goes for about a quid a kilo. Maybe if you live right next to the scrappy and can just walk it across it's worth it and even then that doesn't account for the time spent dismantling it.

God bless this sweet summer child who has yet to learn that trampolines are tubular and if you bury a metal tube filled with rocks in amongst the rest of the scrap it’s worth a fair bit of money.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Crime in areas with these small private camps absolutely tanks because the traveling community makes it clear they don’t want to be targeted by police raids so any thieving scrotes need to stay away.
I mean this isn't true of redbridge, but honestly they have been vilified and marginalised so much by Oxford I don't blame them at all for having a gently caress you attitude to everyone around them.

wooger posted:

Anyone who’s had a group of Irish travellers rock up in their town, park on a green space, commit crime, leave litter, refuse to leave and then abandon the place with piles of litter and poo poo on it will have a similar opinion.
Even in cases where there is an associated higher crime rate, littering, or property destruction, it's important to look at the reasons why that's so, same with any marginalised culture.

Redbridge Hollow is absolutely a reflection on the class divisions of Britain that one of the richest cities in the UK looks down their noses at a poor community at the periphery of their boundaries, refuses to engage with them, and this lack of opportunity for jobs, education and community integration further entrenches the poverty, 'scruffiness' and crime that makes the rich pricks of Oxford hate and exclude them all the more.

Also rich kids shoplift all the time, but with them it's seen as just kids being kids - certainly nobody calls for their families to be booted out of their homes. One traveller kid nicks one thing and the law comes down on them with full force and absolutely everyone is on their guard from that point on.

The worst of it was that after the PC Harper incident, threats of retaliation against the site got so bad that police had to be assigned to run protection. Because a couple of kids made a horrible mistake stealing a quad bike, the entire site were painted as murderers by the public. That's some straight up 'They're all the same' thinking right there.

Oxford City Council have also been ramping up attempts to get rid of them because they just sold some land opposite to make luxury flats. Kind of expecting to see a Dale Farm situation there eventually.

I will freely admit I've been brought up to be a part of the problem, and my gut reaction to the idea of travellers is something I have to consciously try hard to combat. I used to think like wooger. Most of my family and neighbours still do.

The last town I lived in had a problem with travellers rocking up to the local park. When I lived there, there were 3 groups that came round. The first, everyone said crime goes up locally but honestly they stayed on the car park area and left after a week. I've mentioned my wife works in police dispatch and a lot of the uptick in crime was later found to be locals intimidating the travellers or taking advantage of them being a more obvious suspect for car and property thefts.

The second group were an issue because they let their dog run round the park and it would get in fights - my boy is very reactive so I had to avoid the park which was at worst a minor inconvenience. After they left there were huge piles of garbage and broken open appliances around the site, but as forkboy made the point, if the council won't give them refuse collection arrangements or allow them near the tip, how the gently caress are they supposed to get rid of waste? Also they were 'moved on' overnight, so who knows if they were planning to clean up.

The third group were actually quite nice. They parked on the grass though, so the locals went absolutely mental, and they left of their own accord after things were sprayed over the vans. After they left, the council put a huge barrier with a height restriction bar over the entrance that's high enough for your average people carrier but not a caravan. They've secured the site with enough padlocks that apparently if any travellers enter the park, it becomes a criminal trespass case and the police can move them on straight away for illegal entry or trespass or something.

The third group had young kids. I think about that a lot. NIMBYs always go on about how violent and thieving travellers are, but to them, we must seem like absolute loving monsters. They've spent their entire lives being harrassed, moved on, spat at, accused of thefts, denied work and education. They're dealing with councils that would rather pay to ugly up the local park than to give them permanent sites or attempt to integrate them.

It reminds me of the psychology theory that you shouldn't tell kids they're bad because after a while of being told that by everyone, some part of them can start to think 'gently caress it, maybe they're right' and roll with it. Only we have an entire country headed by the press and the home secretary ramming that message down everyone's throats every chance they get.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

God bless this sweet summer child who has yet to learn that trampolines are tubular and if you bury a metal tube filled with rocks in amongst the rest of the scrap it’s worth a fair bit of money.

Ah yes Scrappies, well know for their gullibility and willingness to part with cash.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If anyone needs a shorter version of that post to reply to, then first type out your list of reasons travellers are bad, go through and autoreplace 'travellers' with 'blacks' or 'jews' and then read it again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

There was also a recent tweet to the effect of "topanga's husband found shrimp in his cereal" and I'm now down a rabbit hole of US food standards and social media customer services gaslighting, help.
I mean it's not the most astounding recent twitter discovery. I refer of course to the one Sinan Kose found.

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1374594769960243201?s=19

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 24, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's incomprehensible. There's a tweet but no-one can share what the tweet is? Is it a bit I'm not getting?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought it was one of those really tedious jokes where everyone tries to bait people into asking them what the thing is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he also reacting to the guy who responded to a copper by posting a picture of him jizzing on his mum's funeral service card?

Because that is the tweet I just saw and it is indeed very powerful.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Not adverse to Labour speed running Pasokification so we can get an actual left wing party again. Labour is riddled with traitors.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Surprised by the lack of discussion of Patel's new immigration rules, announced today. From coverage on the news, and her interview with Radio 4, it can be summed up thusly:

- People, whether legitimate asylum seekers or not, should not be able to stay in the country if they have arrived illegally
- Therefore, we will only accept asylum seekers who have arrived legally (a stance which is banned by the Geneva Convention, which states that a legitimate asylum seeker should be accepted regardless of the legality of their arrival)
- There are very few legal channels to enter the UK
- So from now on, anyone who arrives is not eligible to stay in the UK

Moreover:

- ANYONE who arrived at the UK by travelling through another safe country (e.g. anywhere in the EU) should have claimed asylum there, and therefore is defacto in the country illegally

Oh, and:

- People should not be allowed to appeal their asylum claims through the courts, so we're putting a stop to that as well.

It seems pretty bad to me.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Priti Patel is as hardline as it gets, it's hard to be outraged by her bullshit as it's so predictable at this point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

That's incomprehensible. There's a tweet but no-one can share what the tweet is? Is it a bit I'm not getting?
:nws: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918745&pagenumber=728&perpage=40&userid=0#post513458804

You were warned.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nothing but respect for that honestly. Straight to 100, no loving around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that is less straight to 100 and more straight to another dimension. Most people are not even operating on the same loving range as that.

Also I'm now livid that the funeral place charged us to print those off when they're just copy pasting photos into the middle I could do that in 5 minutes with a gimp template you hacks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kinda wish i hadn't seen The Tweet now. This is a nostalgic feeling, like from the old shock-site days

E: that brave poster is probably gonna get sent down on spurious charges

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

feedmegin posted:

Parliament (the UK one) is sovereign. Holding an 'advisory referendum' when said parliament opposes it ends up with the situation in Catalonia, which doesn't benefit anyone but definitely doesn't benefit a Scotland that would presumably like to rejoin the EU and would therefore want Spanish support for that.

While there's a lot to be learned from the Catalonia situation, I don't think it actually makes much difference to Scottish independence strategy. There have been very different reactions from Spain over time, with the full range of "Scotland is totally different to Catalonia and we would have no problem with independent Scotland joining the EU" to "we absolutely cannot allow this precedent to be set". That reaction varies a lot with the latest developments in Catalonia of course, and I'm sure any serious movement on Scottish independence would feed back into that process as well. I think Spanish opposition is probable but far from the biggest barrier and I'm sure it could be worked around.

Reveilled posted:

The problem with an advisory referendum is that if it's not with Westminster's blessing, the unionist parties will boycott it, and that will be all the excuse needed for Westminster to ignore it as illegitimate, even if it was legal. Then the nationalist side is faced with a choice of either doing a UDI or just complaining; the former will go completely unrecognised (no matter how much some of the nuttier factions of the SNP have convinced themselves otherwise), the latter will achieve nothing.

The only thing I can reasonably see working is if the SNP force a vote that the unionists can't boycott. And the only way I can see to do that is to have the SNP MPs resign en masse (blah blah office of profit blah blah) and campaign for re-election on an abstentionist policy as an ersatz referendum. That, the unionists can't boycott, and if the SNP can win on an abstentionist policy (something it should be noted the party currently strongly opposes), that actually damages the legitimacy of Westminster and might be sufficient pressure to effect change.

And if that doesn't work, well, my read of pro-indy sentiment is that basically nobody is willing to actually pick up a gun for it.

In their campaigning for the upcoming election, a whole bunch of Scottish Tories have been saying things like "a vote for anyone but us is a vote for independence" - I don't think Johnson's advisors are dumb enough to let him say anything like that on a national level, but I think public opinion is shifting towards the referendum itself being legit, if it happens. This is a consequence of the way unionists have opposed the referendum itself, when they stuck the line of the last one being "once in a generation" they had a consistent point, but far too many are just outright saying the quiet part loud as "if you don't want independence then you must prevent another referendum", which implies that the converse is also true.

I suppose it's easy enough for me to say since I'm not SNP, don't have any particular attachment to independence as a means unto itself. I just want to live in a fairer society, and I think an independent Scotland is a more realistic way to achieve that than anything that could be done via Westminster. But I would happily settle with an intact UK that has the possibility of someone vaguely left-wing leading it. Anyway, point is for me the minutiae of which path is particularly more likely to achieve full independence or not don't really matter, what's important is establishing what the people of Scotland actually want. If the message is clear enough then the outcome will eventually follow one way or another.

e: Also, from the other side - it doesn't matter if a convenient excuse exists for Westminster to declare the referendum illegitimate. We all know the Tories will just manufacture an excuse if it doesn't arise naturally. There's no point trying to pre-empt them by cornering them inside their own rules, because those rules only apply to power when it suits them.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 24, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can't help but feel that everything re: Liverpool was previously agreed between Starmer and the govt. As in, Starmer makes sure that the new mayor will be somebody they can control and who isn't a leftie, and in return the Tories only take over part of the council.

What's with the Tories pushing for local council elections being all-out instead of electing part of the council every year or two years? I'm assuming it benefits them somehow but I can't really understand how

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I expect Liverpool might see scenes similar to Bristol pretty soon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda wish i hadn't seen The Tweet now. This is a nostalgic feeling, like from the old shock-site days
To Failed Imagineer it is always the tweet. I have seldom heard him mention it under any other name. In his eyes it eclipses and predominates the whole of its platform. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to disgust for Only Replies To Dipshits. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen... And yet there was but one tweet to him, and that tweet was by the late Only Replies To Dipshits, of dubious and questionable memory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:same:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I'm from Liverpool and throughout my entire life I can't remember ever speaking to anyone from here who's openly admitted to voting Tory, at lease not without having all the piss taken out of them. It's just not the done thing.

I'll be very surprised if they last 3 years.

Not that I was planning to vote labour this time around but this seals it if Keith is still knocking about come election time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trying to imagine headlines like three weeks from now "UK government control of Liverpool under question as fifth delegated officer in hospital from headbutt"

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jakabite posted:

I expect Liverpool might see scenes similar to Bristol pretty soon.

fun 2 remember

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/09/police-preparing-for-riots-and-disorder-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit-7928317/

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
We've done all the preparation, seems a shame to waste it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just in case anyone was unsure how to think about the Reddit admin kerfuffle - all you need to know is Kiwifarms and Glinner have lined up on one side of the argument.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just in case anyone was unsure how to think about the Reddit admin kerfuffle - all you need to know is Kiwifarms and Glinner have lined up on one side of the argument.

Oh? Don't read reddit, whats the kerfuffle about?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When I moved to England and started hearing the same thing blaming "Pikeys" etc for every missing dog or fly tip I was like oh this is just like the anti-semitism and had to listen to a bunch of English people explain how it's totally different and travellers aren't actually a race and so on an so on.

i have lost a gig for complaining about people routinely complaining about "dirty pikeys" in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Oh? Don't read reddit, whats the kerfuffle about?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was discussed yesterday - short version, Reddit have hired this person:

and are now banning everyone mentioning her history.

Now on one hand, Reddit... but on the other Reddit users. I seriously doubt discussions of her hiring were careful, considered debate on her situation at the time or the psychology of abuse, do you?