Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can eat whatever you like from your freezer over whatever time frame. It's just going to suck if it's been more than 3-6 months especially if you are using a freezer that opens like a door. The solution to this isn't complain about the corporations trying to gently caress you, the solution is don't buy more than you want to eat drunk on the power of forever-freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Over the last two weeks I ate a bag a rhubarb from the back of my freezer that said it expired in 2017. Was perfectly fine outside of having coalesced a bunch of ice I had to boil off while making raspberry rhubarb sauces for my pancakes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

zedprime posted:

You can eat whatever you like from your freezer over whatever time frame. It's just going to suck if it's been more than 3-6 months especially if you are using a freezer that opens like a door. The solution to this isn't complain about the corporations trying to gently caress you, the solution is don't buy more than you want to eat drunk on the power of forever-freezer.

Provided it’s been frozen properly it’s years. Honest to god this is like the conversation I had with my Nan who didn’t want to accept she’d been throwing away perfectly good food for decades.

Check out the use by date on supermarket own brand veg for example, it will be at least 2 years in the future, where as your Birdseye will be a year, both dates are pulled out of thin air - so long as the bag does not stick to the side of anything and you don’t keep opening and closing the door so ice builds up and they end up entombed Everything will be fine.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Provided it’s been frozen properly it’s years.
This is the key here, though. Freezing properly isn't usually done. You have to factor in how the food was wrapped, where you stored it in the freezer, if there were any freeze/thaw cycles at the market before you froze it yourself, how cold your freezer is, when your freezer cycles temps, how reliable your freezer is, if you accidentally left it open for four hours once sixteen months ago. You also have to know to account for freezer conditions when you use the food later in recipes. None of that is particularly intuitive and requires a cook that can be flexible and work around subpar food.

So yes, in conditions that are as close to ideal as possible, food will be totally fine and safe to consume for years and years in your freezer. Almost no one is keeping the food in their home freezer to those conditions. When it comes to frozen food, thaw it out. Cut off the weird bits, hope for the best. It probably won't kill you, it might taste loving awful. And always, always thaw it safely. Freezer conditions mean jack poo poo when you thaw it on the counter for 10 hours.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't debate everything in your freezer is going to be edible forever. I just don't know who that helps. As an emergency store it's the most vulnerable to emergency conditions. I'd rather be working with ancient pantry goods than frozen stuff if I was in a suddenly food insecure position.

More generally to look at the food security phenomenon where edible food is thrown out for being past date and see the solution being "have people eat it, it's edible duh" is a very repent for my bad behaviors attitude. The food insecure already do this because they get the seconds anyway or else have no choice of what to eat that night. For someone with food security, you already did your damage to the supply chain at the time of purchase. Eating it may give you some small balance, but know any overpurchase of food is damaging to a food supply chain from a security point of view and the damage is done at the time of purchase.

In a rational supply chain, even an aggressively fresh BBD should be a benefit from avoiding over purchases. It's a free time box for you to plan your consumption around. In their absence you should be thinking about what your own BBD will be. It's easy to have an answer to this because it's food, it's meant to turnover because you eat it and poo poo it out. Emergency staples are important but I am in hurricane territory so my emergency staples better be immune to power outages. Hence I focus on dry pantry goods instead of frozen.

Unfortunately we don't have a rational supply chain and instead have a bunch of people mad with power from cheese coupons so sure eat your freeze dried cheese.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a chest freezer because I’m genuinely poor and it’s cheaper to run the freezer and only buy things in season, or fresh at a massively reduced price because they are at the end date, and freeze them, than it is to shop like a normal person. You use a massive chest freezer for this because existing for a week on one thing you found dirt cheap, like pizzas at 10p each is depressing as chuff.

My Nan grew her own food and was unbelievably pissed off when she found out that throwing hedgerow blackberries out after three months was bullshit.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

zedprime posted:

For someone with food security, you already did your damage to the supply chain at the time of purchase. Eating it may give you some small balance, but know any overpurchase of food is damaging to a food supply chain from a security point of view and the damage is done at the time of purchase.

The damage might be done at purchase time for that specific product, but the damage at purchase time of the next one, and every purchase thereafter, is not yet done, and eating perfectly good food instead of throwing it away will, in fact, reduce how much you purchase.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

wtf is this "actually, freezer burn isn't real" "yeah, we keep scientific reagents frozen forever" like the fuckin conditions for storing scientific samples are at all comparable to a kitchen freezer, there's a reason you can't keep your sperm samples by just chucking them in the freezer and have to use a facility to do it

I have had huge amounts of meat go bad because it's in the freezer for a long-rear end time, it get a bunch of fuzzy ice crystals on it and the parts that have that get dried out with a significant texture change

edit: "man I don't know why people just refuse to accept how wrong they are" maybe it's because of the number of times I've tried to thaw a pound of beef and ended up with two ounces of usable stuff and a big wad of crispy freeze-dried bullshit that you can snap in your hands

John Lee has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Mar 24, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lmao if you're not keeping your meat and your sperm in the same lab-grade freezer you keep in your garage

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

John Lee posted:

edit: "man I don't know why people just refuse to accept how wrong they are" maybe it's because of the number of times I've tried to thaw a pound of beef and ended up with two ounces of usable stuff and a big wad of crispy freeze-dried bullshit that you can snap in your hands

Same, but for my sperm samples

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m slightly concerned about this fellow’s freezer tbh, are my kids constantly in there searching for ice lollies and not closing the door?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

oh buddy don't even get me STARTED on the term 'ice lollies'

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wait, so have I been ejaculating into the freezer for no reason!?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phosphine posted:

The damage might be done at purchase time for that specific product, but the damage at purchase time of the next one, and every purchase thereafter, is not yet done, and eating perfectly good food instead of throwing it away will, in fact, reduce how much you purchase.
That's where I'm ok crediting that small balance back. You are doing your part in such a case but it's still not as good as buying things at a normal, regular rate. Because we don't solve food insecurity by reducing how much we individually use erratically and occasionally. Food insecurity is solved by supply chain will. Especially in capitalism, food security is addressed by making the market of food insecure attractive. One way of doing that is reducing demand in a secure market so they have an excess and want to serve those insecure ones with less margin.

So one says I am doing my part to reduce demand by choking down my pea icecube. But here's why I say that's a partial victory. This is still overconsumption because those peas stay in your freezer for 3 years for no real value to yourself. Do you buy and replace those peas? Why did they wait around 3 years then. Do you eat them and don't replace, in lieu of other groceries? That time spent in the freezer was a total waste for you and the peas.

On the flip side 3 years ago, purchasing those frozen peas entered you infinitesimally into a huge array of supply chain replenishment calculations from grocery store suppliers to pea futures trading. Through no will or want of your own you became a pea consumer and expected to repeat buy peas because food is consumable. Boundless capitalism optimism now direct frozen peas your way. Not being in an intimate relationship with the pea supply chain you can't tell them no those are my backup peas and your demand remains a possibility twinkling in the eye of the pea capitalists who think you are a better mark than the lower margin insecure markets.

I don't want perfection to be the enemy of useful here. If you have pea icecubes you need to eat and you're willing to eat them, thank you. But please remember the true changes come from not buying peas you do not need.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just make sure you keep the pee ice cubes separate from the sperm ice cubes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m the one with food insecurity though? How is me preventing a block of 25p cheese from being wasted by grating and freezing it causing more food waste? I was never going to buy that same block of cheese at £4, I was just going to eat less food, so therefore me getting it from the discount fridge does not change demand and supply.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Quiet Feet posted:

Wait, so have I been ejaculating into the freezer for no reason!?

Still hotter than your wife :smuggo:

Freezer burn is real, just ask any hunter who didn't vacuum seal his game meat properly before freezing.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Jennifer Love Hewitt and Cristin Milioti are not one and the same person.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Big Audio Dynamite was formed by Mick Jones after getting kicked out of The Clash, which he co-founded. One of BAD's biggest songs was The Globe. The song samples The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go?, including the high-pitched "WOO!" sample, but follows it up with Jones saying "bless you" as if the sample was a sneeze. All these years later I've realized that was probably a piss-take on The Clash for kicking him out of his own band.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CleverHans posted:

and neither of them are linda cardellini

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Firefox logo is a red panda, not a fox.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Big Audio Dynamite was formed by Mick Jones after getting kicked out of The Clash, which he co-founded. One of BAD's biggest songs was The Globe. The song samples The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go?, including the high-pitched "WOO!" sample, but follows it up with Jones saying "bless you" as if the sample was a sneeze. All these years later I've realized that was probably a piss-take on The Clash for kicking him out of his own band.

I mean, the band basically ate itself after Combat Rock was released. Headon was kicked because of his heroin addiction, Terry Chimes then rejoined and quit (again). They bickered all the time after that and no one got along with anyone at that point. They even got into fights with promoters (for overcharging in their opinion) and a physical altercation with venue security for one of their gigs during that time. It really was at a point of either Jones or Strummer goes, and I think Strummer was the bigger draw for the band.

As far as I know they all settled down pretty quick and there doesn't seem to be any real animosity.

One thing I just learned is that Jones was a founding member of General Public, but left before the first album was finished.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

The Firefox logo is a red panda, not a fox.

no

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

It's a pun based on the Japanese kanji name for Red Pandas being the same for Red Foxes with the Fire character mixed in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is named after a red panda yes, but the logo is still a fox. They considered a panda apparently but decided the fox would be more recognizable.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mzuri posted:

Still hotter than your wife :smuggo:

Freezer burn is real

Well you don't have to tell me! :qq:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bis-cuit. Cooked twice. That one's obvious enough, if you speak any French.

So is a Tris-cuit cooked... three times? Nope. The name just rolls off the tongue better than "electriscuit"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Huh, I always assumed it was like "wheat>triticum>triscuit" for some reason, but there you go

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CleverHans posted:

TK-42-1 posted:

and neither of them are linda cardellini
Wait until you both find out about Amanda Crew.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Huh, I always assumed it was like "wheat>triticum>triscuit" for some reason, but there you go

I'm glad that wasn't the etymology because it's missing out on a huge chance to call it "cumscuit"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I always thought Triscuit came from them only having three ingredients...wheat, oil, and salt.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Electriscuit is a much cooler name, they hosed up with that oen.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Bis-cuit. Cooked twice. That one's obvious enough, if you speak any French.
Wait'll you hear about zweiback and biscotti!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm not allowed to buy beschuit anymore because I go through them way too quickly

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Beschuit are only good with mice droppings.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a cabin air filter sitting behind my car's glove compartment that's completely different from the engine air filter I regularly replace :psyduck:

Can't wait to see what it looks like two decades after buying the car :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

foliated

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's a cabin air filter sitting behind my car's glove compartment that's completely different from the engine air filter I regularly replace :psyduck:

My parents refused to believe that their air conditioning filter and gas bottle needed periodically changing on a car they owned for 20 years. Because they had air conditioning no windows were allowed to be opened under any circumstances because “the back of my neck gets cold when I’m driving”.

They built up a resistance to the stench and fumes, my then 4 year old had not, and vomited all over the back of my mother’s head as she was driving.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That'll keep her neck warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the phrases "here comes the Incredible Hulk" and "there goes the Incredible Hulk" from this old sweatshirt Marvel used to sell

have the same rhythm as the bonus points music from Alien Crush (PCE / TG16, 1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9XOTS7-ZM