Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

big trivia FAIL posted:

i found almost $780,000 per month in recurring work not being billed for so i guess not charging customers is a dumb thing my work does

lmao please share this story, and the reactions people had to the information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Rockman Reserve posted:

lmao please share this story, and the reactions people had to the information

outsourced some services to a 3rd party, 3rd party bills us for 10,500 widgets, but we're only charging customers for around 1,950 widgets so did some digging and yep, we're just giving away widget work worth millions per year. i say "we" but it was a company we bought a few years ago. no centralized system to reconcile billing/assets/subscriptions/contracts so it never was connected between different departments until we got a $400,000 bill.

i report directly to the head of my LOB/BU, so him, me and our CEO have been having some intense conversations

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We got a letter from a client this morning complaining about a lawyer taking a week to prepare something. It spiralled into a rant that the system is worse here because at least in corrupt countries you can pay more money to make sure that your work gets done.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Our team were told this morning by management that nobody is getting anything more than an indexed 'cost of living' raise this year thanks to the shitstorm that was 2020. We kept the company afloat and all they can do is say 'thanks for your efforts'. We also didn’t get a raise last year because COVID was the new big thing at the time.

It only took two hours for us to discover that a whole heap of people are getting raises, including some who only started 3 months ago. :crossarms:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Creature posted:

Our team were told this morning by management that nobody is getting anything more than an indexed 'cost of living' raise this year thanks to the shitstorm that was 2020. We kept the company afloat and all they can do is say 'thanks for your efforts'. We also didn’t get a raise last year because COVID was the new big thing at the time.

It only took two hours for us to discover that a whole heap of people are getting raises, including some who only started 3 months ago. :crossarms:

Argh, that's indefensible. If people knew what their coworkers' and managers' salaries and bonuses were, like someone just posted them in the break room, every office would descend into anarchy. Keeping that stuff secret only empowers people at the top of a company who have too much power already.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jaguars! posted:

We got a letter from a client this morning complaining about a lawyer taking a week to prepare something. It spiralled into a rant that the system is worse here because at least in corrupt countries you can pay more money to make sure that your work gets done.

I had a colleague do the same when talking about getting some government documents. "It's much easier [in my country]. You just pay the official a bribe and he does it right there"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Creature posted:

I don't understand why more people in larger companies don't make a throwaway Gmail account and send mass rants to the entire email list.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're over a month behind on the delivery of a project due to a bunch of factors, but as of yesterday evening it looked like we would be able to deliver the last unit in place this week. Except now we can't because our software guy buried the fanless computer we use as a workstation under a pile of papers for some inexplicable reason while he had stuff loading overnight. He came in this morning and now it's unresponsive because he probably fried it and we're going to lose a few more weeks when we ship this back for repairs.

This program is just loving cursed. Someone previously burned out a couple resistors on a board while doing a voltage test, before that the vendor who assembled the boards dropped one and it shattered, and before that the team refused to change the design of one of the boxes and so we ended up having to wait 15 weeks for custom connectors. We got two shipments of those, actually: The first set arrived just fine, but for some reason our loading dock guys sent back the second set and so they were listed as delivered but to a different location, which turned out to be the local FedEx office and someone had to go pick them up due to the refused delivery.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Strange Aeon posted:

Argh, that's indefensible. If people knew what their coworkers' and managers' salaries and bonuses were, like someone just posted them in the break room, every office would descend into anarchy. Keeping that stuff secret only empowers people at the top of a company who have too much power already.

That's very true.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I don't understand why more people in larger companies don't make a throwaway Gmail account and send mass rants to the entire email list.

I knew someone who did this (they claim it wasn't them, they just happened to agree with it) at a university they worked in. Sent a big rant and several very personal critiques on interpersonal behaviours, personal grooming and scientific failings to the whole research dept from something like thegoodscientist@ whatever.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah. Sharing all that information openly and letting workers know how badly they're being exploited is a necessity. Might even lead to something good, like arguing for everyone to get fair pay. Something OP's coworkers definitely need to do. Of course you'd have to do that collectively, since one person on their own doesn't have as much leverage.

I wonder what you could call that. Something unity-related maybe. :allears:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I wish my country did the Swedish thing were everyone's salaries are (allegedly) posted publicly so that you know exactly what everyone makes.

But yeah, as soon as you start talking about salaries someone is going to be unhappy and it can ruin the entire morale of a place, was one of the main reasons I quit my last job. Not only did I know what other people made and didn't get any offer close to what I found acceptable, I also had a boss who used a weird fucky neogitation tactic where he stretched the salary negotiation into 4 different meetings, always offering a tiny bit more money and benefits I wasn't interested in. It was super disrespectful. God I hated that job at the end.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I have two managers. One gives me feedback but isn’t allowed to discuss pay, the other can discuss pay but not my feedback. Great system if you want to send the clear message that pay has nothing to do with performance, I guess :confused:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lol my org has a sheet from HR that has the salary ranges for everyone's job position sorted by title that you can find if you go digging. It causes a minor scandal whenever someone rediscovers it. Its a bit weird because when they re do a job position to have a new range it just gets tacked onto the bottom, so you're not exactly sure which range someone falls into. But it gives you a good ballpark.

An employee in the org told me that my initial hiring pay was actually too low, and that when the prior person in my position was helping draft a new description and pay scale the former director wanted the low end at 15/hr, and then HR came back and told them no its gotta be higher due to COLA & the pay range of the position. He used his clout to ignore them somehow. When I was interviewed and it got to negotiation I said I wanted more but he said since its grant funded the pay is locked until the next cycle and then we can negotiate for more. Well he loving lied to my face, turns out in the grant the salary was budgeted to go up to $20/hr and the pay range for the position was from $15-20/hr before COLA. The new director wanted to actually retain staff so he worked to get us all raises and now I'm at the top end, but im still bitter about it and trying to leave

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

My work grades us 1 to 5 to dole out pay rises and everyone sort of just gets paid random amounts it seems like, its all based on this thing where we write an essay talking about what we did this year and submit feedback we have to request off people.

Of course I was never told about the feedback poo poo so back when I was doing a load of project work daily and doing all the things you're meant to in order to get a good grade I never requested feedback a single time and consistently got the score you get if you show up and don't shout in peoples faces while smearing poo poo on the walls. cause they just assumed I wasn't doing anything.
It's funny cause I remember at the time I worked alongside one of my old school friends and he showed me his pay slip, and he made more that month than I did, despite me working 37.5 hours and him only 35, and me having worked there significantly longer, fuckin dumb system and I bet it'd fall apart if the culture of not talking about pay went away.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Son of Rodney posted:

I wish my country did the Swedish thing were everyone's salaries are (allegedly) posted publicly so that you know exactly what everyone makes.

But yeah, as soon as you start talking about salaries someone is going to be unhappy and it can ruin the entire morale of a place, was one of the main reasons I quit my last job. Not only did I know what other people made and didn't get any offer close to what I found acceptable, I also had a boss who used a weird fucky neogitation tactic where he stretched the salary negotiation into 4 different meetings, always offering a tiny bit more money and benefits I wasn't interested in. It was super disrespectful. God I hated that job at the end.

Norway. If you know my name and where I live, you can go look up the rough summary of my tax returns for last year.

As for the "I don't want to be a manager" thing, that's a persistent problem in research as well. Do you enjoy lab work, data analysis and writing papers? Excellent, if you are lucky you may get one of the rare stable jobs as a researcher - which means you are now a group leader and mentor who will sporadically give some input on papers written by your students and postdocs.

I'm reminded of how the Norwegian military recently changed their rank structure. It used to be completely linear: a good sergeant could get promoted to a 2nd Lt, and so on up to General (though past some rank there are also officer education requirements). This gives you a very clear career path, but it also means that your only path upwards is to stop doing whatever you're good at. The last reform added a more US style branching path, where you have a slew of different sergeant ranks with varying christmas ornaments around their chevrons, and increasing responsibility/pay. That idea of being promoted inside your area of competence seems like one more fields could adapt.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I have two managers. One gives me feedback but isn’t allowed to discuss pay, the other can discuss pay but not my feedback. Great system if you want to send the clear message that pay has nothing to do with performance, I guess :confused:

Consulting industry? This feels like either consulting or banking/finance

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't think it was the talking about salaries part that ruined your morale.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

outlasted every single non director at the company, lads

ive been here 6 months

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

VileLL posted:

outlasted every single non director at the company, lads

ive been here 6 months

You're on the way to a directorship! I've lasted other then anyone in my position in the past two years, because one person was in for a year and then the replacement was in for 2 months, and the position was open for 2 more months before I was hired

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Volmarias posted:

I don't think it was the talking about salaries part that ruined your morale.

Nah I know, the entire place was lead horribly, but the people were to date the best team I ever worked with, ironically. The lovely salary and knowing how much others made (which was more, but not market rate either) was just the icing on the cake.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
In the 12 months prior to me taking my position like 8 other people tried and failed lmao.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Working Cyber security for a DoD installation. Our contract stipulates a Tier 2 incident handler must be on site for business hours. When we transitioned to working from home there was no problem, but management looked at the contract and noticed there were no exceptions for world wide pandemics. So now I have to drive myself here and sit in this freezing rear end office by myself because the contract says so.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

titty_baby_ posted:

A friend of mine was working for a utility forestry company, and while I dont know his exact wage I know the low end was $20/hr. He worked 60 hours a week, traveling and living in hotels, and had $150 a day per diem for expenses. I asked him how he liked it and he said while he was making a lot of money it was terrible. I asked him if he was looking elsewhere and he said when he tried to quit they counteroffered with an $8/hr raise and promotion so he stuck around.

the is the circle of life in the tree industry. its so physical and athletic that its truly a young person's game doing tree work at-scale. once you start getting old and feeling it you either just have a hard rear end life, start your own company or get into something else.

so what ends up happening is those older guys who are still standing just throw money at the younger guys to get them to put up with the 60 hour weeks until they can't take it anymore, rinse and repeat. really most tree companies are more like equipment-sharing co-ops or something, the way i see it. you can be an independent climber and make out nicely that way, but then you might make a little less money because the broken guy in his early 40s has got the equipment and revolving door of young men to compete with you.

its one of those things that i dont ever see really unionizing because its such a lifestyle and willingness to kill yourself daily. im glad i left that industry. of the 5 very skilled arborists ive ever worked with, one is dead, two are broken, one is a teacher, one is doing something else - all under the age of 40.

dumb poo poo my work does - improving wooded landscapes on homeowners' properties

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
I have been working for 16 years at an electric distribution coop. Over here in South America the only way my pay would be better as an electrical engineer would be to move into the oil sector but that would also eliminate my job security. Regarding dumb poo poo, when I worked in substation maintenance one of the directors had two big rottweillers he apparently got bored of, so he sent them to live in one of our substations.

It surely was fun to walk around the yard worrying about stepping on dog crap, or having a big rottweiller head next to yours smelling your ear when checking a transformer cabinet. My boss had an idea and claimed that having two untrained dogs in a substation was dangerous and they should be removed. But the dogs knew people, so we ended up with two trained rottweillers the security guard had lots of cruel fun with.

Substation maintenance as an engineer was a crazy job as I didn’t get paid overtime but still had to be available at any time. Especially since I was in charge of electrical equipment testing so every time a transformer tripped offline I had to say goodbye to any plans I had and get my rear end into the substation until we could say if the transformer was dead or if it was a false trip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gishin posted:

Working Cyber security for a DoD installation. Our contract stipulates a Tier 2 incident handler must be on site for business hours. When we transitioned to working from home there was no problem, but management looked at the contract and noticed there were no exceptions for world wide pandemics. So now I have to drive myself here and sit in this freezing rear end office by myself because the contract says so.
Thank you for your sacrifice as an essential employee :patriot:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is this like the riddle where one guard always tell the truth and the other one only lies?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is this like the riddle where one guard always tell the truth and the other one only lies?
Yes but if you get the riddles wrong you're laid off.

If it's consulting like the other person was theorizing, the reporting structures are some yarn on a cork board poo poo.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

zedprime posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice as an essential employee :patriot:

You take that back right now.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Every time I read this thread it inspires me to go through another Salesforce Admin Certification module so that I can not have to work in my admittedly not-that-bad job anymore but instead find a job that pays more than $20 an hour for someone who does the work of like 1.75 people

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Every time I read this thread it inspires me to go through another Salesforce Admin Certification module so that I can not have to work in my admittedly not-that-bad job anymore but instead find a job that pays more than $20 an hour for someone who does the work of like 1.75 people

Yeah but on the other hand Salesforce sucks balls in most circumstances

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hello. Proposal for any database software designers in the thread:
Make your update functions available to the users responsible for maintaining the database instead of a setup that requires an IT ticket for every update.

Thanks. That's all.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

vyst posted:

Yeah but on the other hand Salesforce sucks balls in most circumstances

What else are people supposed to use? Oracle Siebel? LOL

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let me sell you a gently cursed Microsoft Dynamics CRM :barf:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh gently caress siebel.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

vyst posted:

Let me sell you a gently cursed Microsoft Dynamics CRM :barf:

wait how did you get all the rest of the curse out of it

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

vyst posted:

Consulting industry? This feels like either consulting or banking/finance

Lol yeah it’s finance (in a computer toucher role). At one point I also had a third phantom manager who appeared only on my official HR record but never met me

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Or, you can work for the Government and have it all public record so you can go look online and see how much all your coworkers made to the cent!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hello. Proposal for any database software designers in the thread:
Make your update functions available to the users responsible for maintaining the database instead of a setup that requires an IT ticket for every update.

Thanks. That's all.

Oh, oh, oh, I know this one! Because you wrote the update as a single SQL query that's been continuously modified for 8+ years, that has to be run manually by the customer's IT support, and will invariably fail whenever it encounters something that isn't exactly like it was in your local dev database!

... no, I haven't had to solve this exact problem five times in the last two weeks. Why you asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I spent most of the day answering emails and I now have more emails than I started. The dumb poo poo is my work does is making the guy who currently has my position do his job, he doesn't like it.