Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Evil Kit posted:

the only real pain is any layered armor involving tickets or great vein spirit gems. Those mats are all pretty easy to get once you hit guiding lands and understand that game loop.

*car mechanic voice* well there's your problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't play very far into MH World, but glancing at layered armor it looks like they require a lot of materials to make. Is that right or is it stuff that drops in high quantities?

Like the wiki says a set of Barroth layered armor takes this list: seems like a pain
25 muddy crown
15 Barroth chine
10 weathered crag bone
15 fierce dragon vein bone

So fun and dumb tip about layered armor. You don't need all those materials. Each of the pieces does not have their own requirement. Hovering over any piece of the full set will give you that list of materials, but you forge the set as a whole rather than individual pieces. So divide all those by 5 and that's the true cost of it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alxprit posted:

So fun and dumb tip about layered armor. You don't need all those materials. Each of the pieces does not have their own requirement. Hovering over any piece of the full set will give you that list of materials, but you forge the set as a whole rather than individual pieces. So divide all those by 5 and that's the true cost of it.

I'm not following. Why do you divide by 5 if you can only craft it as a whole set? Is the cost just being incorrectly displayed?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Star posted:

Insanely hyped for Friday but I can’t decide whether to start with the bow or IG

I thought about starting IG, but I think I’ll do the same I did in world and wait until I can get a fast kinsect before getting into it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not following. Why do you divide by 5 if you can only craft it as a whole set? Is the cost just being incorrectly displayed?

The cost he posted is added up as if you needed 5 times the amount. Most layered don’t need more than 5 of anything

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Hope that Rocket! Powered! Great! Sword! is back.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

insect glaive + wirebug seems like it will be loving nuts. just a constant whirling leaping tornado.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
is this gonna be one of those times where they say a game comes out on Friday and what they mean is that the game is playable at 11:59:59PM

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bleck posted:

is this gonna be one of those times where they say a game comes out on Friday and what they mean is that the game is playable at 11:59:59PM

Nintendo releases are usually at midnight the day of so try 11:59:59 tomorrow night

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

*car mechanic voice* well there's your problem

like a single monster in the guiding lands will poo poo out more than enough materials to make layered armor multiple times over, it's genuinely not that difficult when you can also just pretty much summon whatever you want at any time and don't even have to worry about carting

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Johnny Joestar posted:

like a single monster in the guiding lands will poo poo out more than enough materials to make layered armor multiple times over, it's genuinely not that difficult when you can also just pretty much summon whatever you want at any time and don't even have to worry about carting

what if -- and bear with me here -- the guiding lands were lovely and boring and figuring out how to level them up to spawn the monsters you needed was a confusing slog even if they were technically functional

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
interesting hypothesis but the guiding lands were good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

condolences on the inability to kill monsters in a game about killing monsters

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MMF Freeway posted:

interesting hypothesis but the guiding lands were good

:emptyquote:

edit: but really my take on the guiding lands might be colored by the fact I dealt with the "fixed" guiding lands after the devs changed things in it to work better and also people knew wtf you needed to do to get what you wanted out of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

what if -- and bear with me here -- the guiding lands were lovely and boring and figuring out how to level them up to spawn the monsters you needed was a confusing slog even if they were technically functional

they were good and fun and easy to figure out, hth.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The monster intros are really something this time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Guiding Lands are good now, but there was a point in the beginning where it did suck rear end and getting to the higher levels so you could fight tempered monsters and elders for their mats to augment your rank 12 weapons was a massive pain in the rear end.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Guiding Lands were flawed, but they're still the best endgame activity the series has ever had.

That's not a high bar though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is Rise Deluxe physical only?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

^burtle posted:

Is Rise Deluxe physical only?

No you can get it on the eshop as well. Its on the same page.

You can also get the deluxe stuff separate but it’s $15

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My Guiding Lands hot take: kinda grindy and meh, but the default combat music loving ruled

vs Rathian normally: :geno:
vs Rathian with that: this fight will echo through history :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xe9XjUSmyQ

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Ohh, hell yea

Oxyclean posted:

I think you craft one "thing" and it gives you the whole set, but looking at each piece individually shows you the cost for the full set, which can give the impression that you need to spend the full set cost five times, once for each piece.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope layered armour of some description gets added asap, there's so much cool armour in these games that it's a shame to just get stuck wearing whatever has the skills you want on it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I feel pretty good about locking in my decision to main DB going into Rise, at least until I can get IG and Lance off the ground with their pre-requisite builds. I've never given DB the time of day before but I'm starting to "get it" insofar as I'm not just activating demon mode, building gauge, draining gauge in arch-demon, then building it up from zero again - it feels a lot more natural to go in and out of demon every 10 seconds or so to keep gauge topped off indefinitely. My only complaint is I wish the demon mode dodge was a bit less punishing on your stamina. The adept dodge silk move is super tasty, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I gave swaxe a go, and man, is it me or is it REALLY hard to get the sword charged up and blasting phials now? Even after I do the power axe thing (whatever that's called now), it takes like 2 whole monster downs worth of time to go from zero to explodin'. Never even got around to trying to use discharge

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

My Guiding Lands hot take: kinda grindy and meh, but the default combat music loving ruled

vs Rathian normally: :geno:
vs Rathian with that: this fight will echo through history :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xe9XjUSmyQ

the rotten vale theme mixed in there :eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

MarcusSA posted:

No you can get it on the eshop as well. Its on the same page.

You can also get the deluxe stuff separate but it’s $15

Thank you! That is what I get for looking at the eshop on my phone vs on the Switch.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I gave swaxe a go, and man, is it me or is it REALLY hard to get the sword charged up and blasting phials now? Even after I do the power axe thing (whatever that's called now), it takes like 2 whole monster downs worth of time to go from zero to explodin'. Never even got around to trying to use discharge

It does seem to take quite a while now, but one of the silkbug moves will restore a big portion of your axe gauge, which helps a bit. Hopefully a master swaxer can tell us more?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

discharge powers it up pretty quick. but yeah power phials might want focus in rise. or power prolonger. elemental and exhaust phials should hopefully power up faster like they did in world/iceborne

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The hoarfrost reach battle music and guiding lands battle music are both fantastic.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
all of the IB music was :kiss:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I thought about starting IG, but I think I’ll do the same I did in world and wait until I can get a fast kinsect before getting into it.

That's what I'm doing. Probably gonna go hammer, SnS, and HH until fast kinsects are available and then see if the old bugstick addiction is still there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love my good friend Vaal’s theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YN4TM5Ukg

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zinogre’s theme is THE monster theme to me. Since I heard it in Portable 3rd it has always stood out the most to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It'd probably be nargacuga for me, though mainly because of this perfect video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0fc_9ZMjuc

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ethiser posted:

Zinogre’s theme is THE monster theme to me. Since I heard it in Portable 3rd it has always stood out the most to me.

and Iceborne gave us the best rendition of it yet....as the mount theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9rue5p2Tw

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also shoutout to Khezu’s banger of a theme.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

TaurusOxford posted:

and Iceborne gave us the best rendition of it yet....as the mount theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9rue5p2Tw

Zin's been one of my favorite monsters for forever (And it makes the best HH model)

I'm super excited to go after it in Rise.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Pyronic posted:

Zin's been one of my favorite monsters for forever (And it makes the best HH model)

I'm super excited to go after it in Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like Bazel's theme and I hope he is in Rise.