Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Would a silicone gasket maker like this be roughly analogous to Hondabond? For dealing a gearbox and possibly valve cover. That poo poo is impossible to get unfortunately and I'm not enough of a Honda fanboy to import it or go through the stealership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't know what that stuff is specifically, but Hondabond is anaerobic, which is likely important to whatever you're looking at it being specified for use. The closes equiv that I know is "the right stuff" gray.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is it normal for a car to grind a little bit going into reverse? I thought my clutch was going but my brother says it's normal. I know reverse doesn't have a synchro but that shouldn't matter if you're at a stop, no?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's normal for it to make a bit of a clunk as the dogs line up because it's unsynchronized, yes, but I wouldn't say that grinding is normal. Is there a difference in engine RPM between having the car in neutral and having it in gear with the clutch depressed? If so, that would indicate that the clutch is dragging a bit and yeah that could cause grinding when shifting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If the trans is somewhat well used it's fairly normal, long as you can get it into gear on the first shot I don't see an issue. Maybe change the fluid and look for glitter on the drain plug magnet while it's out?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

I don't know what that stuff is specifically, but Hondabond is anaerobic, which is likely important to whatever you're looking at it being specified for use. The closes equiv that I know is "the right stuff" gray.

I couldn't find any more information other than what's on the package there but I'm guessing it's more like RTV stuff. I think anaerobic is the crucial part to look for then, thanks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DildenAnders posted:

Is it normal for a car to grind a little bit going into reverse? I thought my clutch was going but my brother says it's normal. I know reverse doesn't have a synchro but that shouldn't matter if you're at a stop, no?

Without a synchro, and if you're just shoving the clutch in, then throwing it into reverse? Absolutely. If you hold the clutch down for a good 5 seconds, THEN shift into reverse, you'll probably still get a slight clunk.

Easy workaround: put in the clutch, shift into 1st, then shift into reverse - 1st usually has a synchro, doing this will stop the internals and let you shift into reverse easily. Even on a car with a synchro on reverse, you're going to feel the car jerk a bit going into reverse unless you give the transmission internals time to spin down first. You're essentially forcing everything to suddenly spin in the opposite direction at a few hundred RPM if you're going straight from idling in neutral to clutch in to reverse all in one fell swoop - there's a bit of inertia from 100 lbs of gears spinning.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Without a synchro, and if you're just shoving the clutch in, then throwing it into reverse? Absolutely. If you hold the clutch down for a good 5 seconds, THEN shift into reverse, you'll probably still get a slight clunk.

Easy workaround: put in the clutch, shift into 1st, then shift into reverse - 1st usually has a synchro, doing this will stop the internals and let you shift into reverse easily.

Bingo. Do this.
Some gearboxes are pretty fragile about the reverse idler, hawing on it will break it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Putting it into neutral and letting the clutch out then pushing it back in has always worked for me, dunno if that's any better or easier. IIRC you have a Mazda 3 which is what I drove for ~14 years and it did that a fair amount.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The clinking of tie down rings and the sound of grinding into reverse was the sound that my dad was home. Is that too poetic for the stupid questions thread?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
drat didn't expect such a response! I'll stop worrying about it but thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely put it in first before putting it into reverse, especially if a fellow Mazda 3 owner recommends it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

The clinking of tie down rings and the sound of grinding into reverse was the sound that my dad was home. Is that too poetic for the stupid questions thread?

We need more poetry, not less. Beautiful.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

In unrelated news, I opened up my old WJ for the first time in months (radiator went, got a new car so hasn't been a priority) and when I got inside, I was blasted with the nauseating, nostalgic smell of old gear oil. I'm going to have to get rid of that hunk of junk, but god drat did that car grow on me if it turned gear oil smell into something I didn't know I missed. I'm not crying, it's just raining out.
(Please don't ask why it smells like gear oil inside. It's a long story involving an axle, a Ford Explorer missing an axle, and an older brother.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

I couldn't find any more information other than what's on the package there but I'm guessing it's more like RTV stuff. I think anaerobic is the crucial part to look for then, thanks.

Welp I can't find anything aat all available locally. Not Permatexm or 3M anaerobic stuff at all :psyduck: so Hondabond might be my only option, that's ridiculous, how does everyone else repair gearboxes.

Yes I think that's the medical definition
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 25, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sagebrush posted:

So yeah I can appreciate that some people may not be able to grasp the three-dimensional transformation required to understand unscrewing an upside down oil filter and have to literally put their face on the ground in front of it.

I don't need excuses I'm just a moron.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm pulling the transmission on my brz for some clutch work. I have all of the bolts removed, nothing else is holding the transmission in, but I just can't get it separated from the engine. I've put a crowbar in-between the transmission and the steering rack for leverage but the fucker just won't budge. I'm 100% sure I have all of the bolts out, if there something else I should try? I've read through a handful of DIYs for this and nobody seems to have this kind of trouble separating it from the engine.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Some people apparently don't have the ability to do this. Like if I say "picture a rose," you can probably picture a rose in your head. Now I say okay, turn it over and look at the cut bottom of the stem. Now look closely at one of the thorns. Now flip it to look at the top and open up the petals and look inside. Now slow slowly spin it 360 degrees.

Most people can do that sort of mental three-dimensional rotation at least to some extent, but some cannot. It's just a brain thing.

There's a further version of this phenomenon called congenital aphantasia where the person has no ability to picture things visually in their head. You say "picture a rose" and they can think of all the things that are associated with roses, like the color red, the smell of it, the romantic connotations, etc but have no image of it. This too it turns out is not that uncommon; the discussion came up in YOSPOS and a handful of posters there suddenly discovered that that's how their brain works. It's actually highly linked to face blindness, which goons all famously have.

So yeah I can appreciate that some people may not be able to grasp the three-dimensional transformation required to understand unscrewing an upside down oil filter and have to literally put their face on the ground in front of it.

Hi, that's me. Most of this is accurate, but proprioceptive orientation is way stronger for me. Tighten/loosen is intuitive for me even when I have my offhand crammed up behind an instrument panel while hanging upside-down.

And the answer is to hammer the screwdriver through the filter to get it off and never use anything but hands to put one back on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm pulling the transmission on my brz for some clutch work. I have all of the bolts removed, nothing else is holding the transmission in, but I just can't get it separated from the engine. I've put a crowbar in-between the transmission and the steering rack for leverage but the fucker just won't budge. I'm 100% sure I have all of the bolts out, if there something else I should try? I've read through a handful of DIYs for this and nobody seems to have this kind of trouble separating it from the engine.

Listen, this isn't what you want to hear, but...

You don't have all the bolts out.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I lucked into a deal yesterday where I was able to get a great deal on a 2021 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD PRO from a local dealership. Caveat being that it had 1,100 miles, and was the General Managers Demo or whatever. He had been driving it for 3 weeks. These things are very hard to find.

Everything about this truck is perfect and I can't believe I was able to get such a hard to find vehicle locally. It wasn't even for sale when I showed up.

My question:

Previous driver had a DRAKKAR NOIR AUTO AIR FRESHENER in the cup holder near the center console and my god does that smell permeate EVERYTHING. I've had the car for two days and I can smell it on myself for hours after. I'm really sensitive to smells, so I need to kill this ASAP. Any ideas on how I can rid my new vehicle of this horrid stench? Will it go away over time?

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 25, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ozone generator, if you don't live in California. Liberal use of Febreze and Arm&Hammer Pet Odor Remover if you do. The last is my go-to and it's worked quite well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I see no front plate so I assume not-California, then the answer is, as already stated, ozone generator. It will destroy 25+ year old smoker's smell even if that might take two or three applications and I am positive if will annihilate a month or two of cologne.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Thank y'all. I'm in Texas. Definitely going to look into buying one of these ASAP. Looks like you can get one for $50 on Amazon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm pulling the transmission on my brz for some clutch work.

You likely don't have all the bolts out as was mentioned. Otherwise a neat trick is to let the parts do the work for you and pump the clutch to help separate the trans from the block.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Welp I can't find anything aat all available locally. Not Permatexm or 3M anaerobic stuff at all :psyduck: so Hondabond might be my only option, that's ridiculous, how does everyone else repair gearboxes.

Not even this permatex stuff? https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/anaerobic-gasket-makers-flange-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/?locale=en_us

This is what's in my local parts stores.

And how everyone else repairs gearboxes depends. A shop that does this will have the right poo poo on hand. As far as home gamers, you know the variable quality there. I'd say a good majority would slap some blue goo on there than call it a day. And that will work......for a while. I'd say you're better off ordering the right thing and doing it right so it lasts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
mobby's in the EU, I think?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mobby's in the EU, I think?

Ahhh, that would explain the stocking differences for sure.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Listen, this isn't what you want to hear, but...

You don't have all the bolts out.

Bajaha posted:

You likely don't have all the bolts out as was mentioned. Otherwise a neat trick is to let the parts do the work for you and pump the clutch to help separate the trans from the block.

I dunno, the DIY guides with pictures all show 6 bolts and 2 nuts, and that's exactly what I've removed. I can run my hand around the whole assembly and I can't feel any other bolts. I'll get my borescope out and see if that helps any. I'll report back when I find the last bolt

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check around the starter, which should be completely removable by hand at this point, speaking of which. If it's like the EJ family, the starter has a bolt or nut and also one of the bellhousing bolts through it. If you just removed the starter bolt or nut that might make you think you have them all out.

Sometimes the alignment dowels get kind of sticky on those, too. Oh, if the bolts didn't come out by hand after being loosened, check the tips for galled aluminum jammed in the threads, and run a tap through the bolt holes in the block to clean the threads up, IIRC it is m10x1.25.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 25, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is it possible that on a vehicle with multi link rear suspension that bushings binding up can cause the vehicle to sit lower, instead of higher?

2006 Mazda RX-8 (Near as makes little difference same subframes and suspension as a NC Miata)

I replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6's 30k km ago and and the springs with H&R sport springs 10k km ago. This past year, I tackled ALL of the bushings. Now the rear of the vehicle sits lower than the front.
Did I screw up by tightening all of the rear suspension links with the back end unloaded? I would expect the bushings to bind up causing the back end to sit higher, not lower due to this.
The FSM makes no mention of any special procedures or order of operation when re-assembling the rear suspension. At least as far as I could find.

Is it worth it to build tire blocks to get the back half in the air enough to crawl underneath and loosen everything up and let it re-settle? Am I missing something else?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You did screw up since that's a great way to destroy new bushings, but your logic is sound, it should have made it taller until the rubber tore loose from the bushing sleeves at which point it would go back to normal.

If you used poly, what you did is fine.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

kastein posted:

If you used poly, what you did is fine.

Right, forgot that piece of info. All new bushings were polyurethane and were greased as much as I could.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

kastein posted:

Check around the starter, which should be completely removable by hand at this point, speaking of which. If it's like the EJ family, the starter has a bolt or nut and also one of the bellhousing bolts through it. If you just removed the starter bolt or nut that might make you think you have them all out.

Sometimes the alignment dowels get kind of sticky on those, too. Oh, if the bolts didn't come out by hand after being loosened, check the tips for galled aluminum jammed in the threads, and run a tap through the bolt holes in the block to clean the threads up, IIRC it is m10x1.25.

There were two bolts for the starter that went all the way through into the engine. All of the bolts came out easily by hand once they were loosened. I ran my borescope all around the engine but I can't find anything else holding it in. Might be the alignment dowels, they look like they have a little rust on them but I can't see how they could be holding all of this together considering the amount of force I'm using.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

There were two bolts for the starter that went all the way through into the engine. All of the bolts came out easily by hand once they were loosened. I ran my borescope all around the engine but I can't find anything else holding it in. Might be the alignment dowels, they look like they have a little rust on them but I can't see how they could be holding all of this together considering the amount of force I'm using.

If your not backing the transmission out perfectly level, those dowels will bind and hold it in place.
As suggested above, try using the clutch hydraulics to help separate it. It should push the bell housing apart parallel to the engine negating the dowel bind.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

If your not backing the transmission out perfectly level, those dowels will bind and hold it in place.
As suggested above, try using the clutch hydraulics to help separate it. It should push the bell housing apart parallel to the engine negating the dowel bind.

I tried that too, didn't do anything

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Any place you can get a block of wood on and use some gentle hammer persuasion?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got a used bumper for Brokeback. It's in better shape in that it's not cracked or sagging, but the paint is a little more beat.

If I scuff it up myself and just ask a body shop to do a quick respray before I put it on the car (matching the current color, not giving a poo poo about filling in scratches, dings, and the like), how much would that likely cost, with clear? The paint on the rest of the car is in really good shape. I'm not worried about blending it or anything (esp since it's two tone; the rest of the two done doesn't resume until the doors). The replacement kinda looks like it's been repainted at some point anyway.

e: or should I just give up on that idea and buy an actual new cover if I want it painted? The bumper covers are the major cosmetic issues on this car, followed by the damage it had from being sideswiped at some point (mostly the RR 1/4 panel). If it's cost-prohibitive, I'll just slap this one on and call it a day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 25, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With that level of paint damage I think you'd be in for a lot more work than "scuff it up" for those marks to not be nearly as visible through the paint as they are now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's what I was thinking - even thinking that just slapping paint on it would make it look even worse. Just gonna slap it on tomorrow morning then, and deal with finding some fog lights later. At least it's not sagging, cracked, split, etc, and I can finally aim my one working foglight up enough to not point straight down.

I just had some wishful thinking since I only paid $35 for it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 25, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

STR posted:

Got a used bumper for Brokeback. It's in better shape in that it's not cracked or sagging, but the paint is a little more beat.

If I scuff it up myself and just ask a body shop to do a quick respray before I put it on the car (matching the current color, not giving a poo poo about filling in scratches, dings, and the like), how much would that likely cost, with clear? The paint on the rest of the car is in really good shape. I'm not worried about blending it or anything (esp since it's two tone; the rest of the two done doesn't resume until the doors). The replacement kinda looks like it's been repainted at some point anyway.

e: or should I just give up on that idea and buy an actual new cover if I want it painted? The bumper covers are the major cosmetic issues on this car, followed by the damage it had from being sideswiped at some point (mostly the RR 1/4 panel). If it's cost-prohibitive, I'll just slap this one on and call it a day.

New is an idea, but those panels are a crapshoot as far as fit goes. You might be able to fix this one up a for less really if youre concerned how it will turn out as is. I think Id send some pictures of the bumper you picked up and see what some local shops had to say. Maybe theres a home gamer on CraigsList too.

I remember hearing everything from GTFO to $500-$1000 when I was getting quotes on fixing my Fits bumper. In the end I just put a sticker over the crack, but every time Ive looked into getting something done, theres been a pretty wide range, and it just came down to finding someone I trusted enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

I tried that too, didn't do anything

Soak the dowels in penetrating oil overnight. Then you will need some percussion from a dead blow around the entire bellhousing in a circle. I have always had to use quite a bit more force than I expected.

E: Spelling.