Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH the yikesness of her past seems more about people in her periphery rather than herself so I hope things work out for her and also causes a bunch more transphobes to get so mad they die of brain cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Scikar posted:

While there's a lot to be learned from the Catalonia situation, I don't think it actually makes much difference to Scottish independence strategy. There have been very different reactions from Spain over time, with the full range of "Scotland is totally different to Catalonia and we would have no problem with independent Scotland joining the EU" to "we absolutely cannot allow this precedent to be set". That reaction varies a lot with the latest developments in Catalonia of course, and I'm sure any serious movement on Scottish independence would feed back into that process as well. I think Spanish opposition is probable but far from the biggest barrier and I'm sure it could be worked around.

In their campaigning for the upcoming election, a whole bunch of Scottish Tories have been saying things like "a vote for anyone but us is a vote for independence" - I don't think Johnson's advisors are dumb enough to let him say anything like that on a national level, but I think public opinion is shifting towards the referendum itself being legit, if it happens. This is a consequence of the way unionists have opposed the referendum itself, when they stuck the line of the last one being "once in a generation" they had a consistent point, but far too many are just outright saying the quiet part loud as "if you don't want independence then you must prevent another referendum", which implies that the converse is also true.

I suppose it's easy enough for me to say since I'm not SNP, don't have any particular attachment to independence as a means unto itself. I just want to live in a fairer society, and I think an independent Scotland is a more realistic way to achieve that than anything that could be done via Westminster. But I would happily settle with an intact UK that has the possibility of someone vaguely left-wing leading it. Anyway, point is for me the minutiae of which path is particularly more likely to achieve full independence or not don't really matter, what's important is establishing what the people of Scotland actually want. If the message is clear enough then the outcome will eventually follow one way or another.

e: Also, from the other side - it doesn't matter if a convenient excuse exists for Westminster to declare the referendum illegitimate. We all know the Tories will just manufacture an excuse if it doesn't arise naturally. There's no point trying to pre-empt them by cornering them inside their own rules, because those rules only apply to power when it suits them.

An advisory referendum that is boycotted by all unionists will not send a clear message in my view, especially when the previous referendum had a turnout of 85%. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's a difference between what people will say now in terms of whether the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold a referendum, and what they will say afterward if the No campaign is "stay home and boycott this sham" and the result comes in 98% Yes on a 45% turnout or similar.

If you're of the view that a reason to reject the referendum will be invented no matter what, are you of the same view regarding the 2014 referendum?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've got to say I'd probably prefer that someone with such a proven track record of complete blindness to paedophilia wasn't in a position of authority at Reddit, but given it's Reddit that's probably not a bug

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and are now banning everyone mentioning her history.

Now on one hand, Reddit... but on the other Reddit users. I seriously doubt discussions of her hiring were careful, considered debate on her situation at the time or the psychology of abuse, do you?
[/quote]
What's the suggestion? That Aimee is a paedophile or paedophile enabler?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the entire case sounds like catnip for the likes of Glinner (twatnip?) so I'm completely unsurprised and I can guess which side they're on.

Even if she has done something bad and it's not just the people around her, which may be the case, it's a lot like as was mentioned earlier itt when a Traveller does a crime and the entire British and Irish press shits themselves and goes "see, see, we're not bigots we're just telling it like it is, there's proof and all!" while grinning and smearing it on the pages.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just in case anyone was unsure how to think about the Reddit admin kerfuffle - all you need to know is Kiwifarms and Glinner have lined up on one side of the argument.

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is all you need to know. She seems like a pretty scummy person, what with employing her dad who raped and tortured a 10 year old to be her campaign manager, and banning any and all mention of herself on the site. Oh and being married to and supportive of an open paedophile. I don't feel like it's an argument any decent person should wade into too heavily but yeah even if a ton of people are attacking her for all the wrong reasons, doesn't mean she's cool and good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What a surprise a bunch of tory mps are now saying their Labour councils are bad and perhaps they should be taken over too.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

The Perfect Element posted:

Surprised by the lack of discussion of Patel's new immigration rules, announced today. From coverage on the news, and her interview with Radio 4, it can be summed up thusly:

- People, whether legitimate asylum seekers or not, should not be able to stay in the country if they have arrived illegally
- Therefore, we will only accept asylum seekers who have arrived legally (a stance which is banned by the Geneva Convention, which states that a legitimate asylum seeker should be accepted regardless of the legality of their arrival)
- There are very few legal channels to enter the UK
- So from now on, anyone who arrives is not eligible to stay in the UK

Moreover:

- ANYONE who arrived at the UK by travelling through another safe country (e.g. anywhere in the EU) should have claimed asylum there, and therefore is defacto in the country illegally

Oh, and:

- People should not be allowed to appeal their asylum claims through the courts, so we're putting a stop to that as well.

It seems pretty bad to me.

All aboard the decades of Britain wanting to LARP Children of Men forever

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK firm to stop using British pork after post-Brexit border problems

Wonder what Liz Truss has to say about this...

thrashingteeth posted:

All aboard the decades of Britain wanting to LARP Children of Men forever

Owen wearing a London 2012 hoodie really was astonishingly prescient.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a confession: I never voted for Blair

I left for Ireland instead of voting for him in 1997 and then was too stoned/disheartened to vote for him in the elections after.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The article about how much paperwork brexit has added for meat exports is good.
All this poo poo for literately no benefit GREAT CHEESE EXPORTS

haakman
May 5, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is all you need to know. She seems like a pretty scummy person, what with employing her dad who raped and tortured a 10 year old to be her campaign manager, and banning any and all mention of herself on the site. Oh and being married to and supportive of an open paedophile. I don't feel like it's an argument any decent person should wade into too heavily but yeah even if a ton of people are attacking her for all the wrong reasons, doesn't mean she's cool and good.

I could be wrong but wasn't she also a mod of r/ukpol? Says it all really.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

learnincurve posted:

I have a confession: I never voted for Blair
Nice humblebrag

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s getting more than a little fashy at the moment what with the protest bill, the travellers bill, the asylum reforms and the incessant flag shagging. Like, just the last few days have felt REALLY bad

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1374758594931986433?s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Gonna fly my county flag all day every day

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You just know someone is eyeing up the Fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square for a massive gently caress off flag pole.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
BET THEY'LL BRING BACK HANGING NEXT

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Jakabite posted:

Yeah it's unfortunate that Glinner et al will do their best to divert all the attention to literally the only thing about this admin - her being trans, that is - that has nothing to do with all that Bad poo poo. Complete loving shitshow, and huge oversight by Reddit, imo. And all the usual terfy scum are out of the woodwork to weigh in on this now, of course

serious gaylord posted:

What a surprise a bunch of tory mps are now saying their Labour councils are bad and perhaps they should be taken over too.

it's almost like Starmer and the current Labour leadership are completely devoid of any political instict. this is like primary school playground-level realpolitik play, and they just walked right into it. I'm at a point of actually hoping for their sake they *are* all wreckers and MI5 plants, else it's just getting embarrassing now

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

It’s getting more than a little fashy at the moment what with the protest bill, the travellers bill, the asylum reforms and the incessant flag shagging. Like, just the last few days have felt REALLY bad

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1374758594931986433?s=19

Well OK then, but what about child poverty? We're going to do something about that now yeah?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All UK cities to be prefaced with London to promote Unionism. Londonderby, Londondundee, Londonely, Londonlondon.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

bessantj posted:

Well OK then, but what about child poverty? We're going to do something about that now yeah?

no time for that, too many flags to shag

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ouuuh, i just nutted all over yer flag lol

Jakabite posted:

I don't feel like it's an argument any decent person should wade into too heavily but yeah even if a ton of people are attacking her for all the wrong reasons, doesn't mean she's cool and good.
It's weird, because on the one hand she also has oppositional defiant disorder, which - accusations of affluenza aside - is an interesting condition that is perhaps not the best trait to be looking for in a mod /admin.

But I posted about it initially because in a statement a few days ago, the entire /r/ukpolitics subforum was closed after one of the moderators posted a link to a hate piece by Julie loving Bindel which specifically calls her out at the end.

So I can also understand why the ban might have happened to stop terf poo poo being mainstreamed. The problem is that zero explanation was given for why it happened, so the freeze peach warriors have now flooded the sub and the official statement simply refers to a "spectator article" which makes "a three word mention of her in passing."

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 24, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

bessantj posted:

All children in poverty will be given a small Union flag to wave.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In a shocking twist, it'll turn out someone Michael Gove knows really well will run the business that wins the flag-making tender.
They will immediately close their UK offices and relocate to China.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Re: Trampoline discussion:

If things ever get back to normal, and you like fun, try to find out if there is "Adult Gymnastics" anywhere in your city or nearby. The local gymnastics gym in Milton Keynes did it 3 nights a week and it's amazingly fun.

Basically it's a full gymnastics gym (so tumbling floor, parallel bars, rings, vaulting stuff, springy-floored vaulting track, pommel horse, tons of other equipment and mats and what have you and trampolines) and you just have the run of the place. Anything that you can or might launch yourself off of has a foam pit to land in where it's basically impossible to hurt yourself, and the people who go to these things are really friendly and any who know what they're on about are happy to teach others. Also there were typically 2-3 trained gymnastics instructors there who would teach you how to do stuff if asked (but otherwise just around to make sure nobody does anything too dangerous).

Really really great and fun way to get fit, without it necessarily being too strenuous.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

You just know someone is eyeing up the Fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square for a massive gently caress off flag pole.

thrashingteeth posted:

BET THEY'LL BRING BACK HANGING NEXT

Not liking these two posts being next to each other, TBH.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

ouuuh, i just nutted all over yer flag lol

It's weird, because on the one hand she also has oppositional defiant disorder, which - accusations of affluenza aside - is an interesting condition that is perhaps not the best trait to be looking for in a mod /admin.

But I posted about it initially because in a statement a few days ago, the entire /r/ukpolitics subforum was closed after one of the moderators posted a link to a hate piece by Julie loving Bindel which specifically calls her out at the end.

So I can also understand why the ban might have happened to stop terf poo poo being mainstreamed. The problem is that zero explanation was given for why it happened, so the freeze peach warriors have now flooded the sub and the official statement simply refers to a "spectator article" which makes "a three word mention of her in passing."

One of the other problems is that it looks like when Reddit did give an explanation, it doesn't seem to match up with events. Reddit claims that their anti-doxxing autofilter banned the moderator, but according to that mod and others, the offending comment was edited some time after it was originally posted to remove the text and replaced with a message that had a typo in it, and then edited afterward to remove the typo, which strongly implies that the action by the admins was manual, not automatic. It doesn't help that a few years ago there was a big controversy about the site's owner manually editing other people's posts because they said bad things about him, so it's hardly a break of form.

Another reason this is causing a shitstorm is that, reddit being a cesspool, it's not uncommon for its moderators to get doxxed and harrassed, and a lot of mods are now mad that reddit previously has been of zero help to them when they were on the receiving end.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sinky posted:

All children in poverty will be given a small Union flag to wave.

Huge PPE contracts for some, miniature Union flags for others.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh there's more stuff about flags here:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1374762318928744460?s=20

"Dual Flagging" is now a thing - you'll be allowed to fly NHS flags alongside the Union flag!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

All UK cities to be prefaced with London to promote Unionism. Londonderby, Londondundee, Londonely, Londonlondon.

I already said this is the real solution to the problems of the regions, just make the plane out of the black box everything London. Extend the Travelcard to zone 256, rename Cornwall West Uxbridge, teach Glaswegians to do the Lambeth Walk, you'll all have amazing public transport, terrifying pub prices, and surprisingly reasonable council tax in no time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Two flags one pole.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I already said this is the real solution to the problems of the regions, just make the plane out of the black box everything London. Extend the Travelcard to zone 256, rename Cornwall West Uxbridge, teach Glaswegians to do the Lambeth Walk, you'll all have amazing public transport, terrifying pub prices, and surprisingly reasonable council tax in no time.

I'm fairly certain the Metropolitan line terminates somewhere in Wales already.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Another reason this is causing a shitstorm is that, reddit being a cesspool, it's not uncommon for its moderators to get doxxed and harrassed, and a lot of mods are now mad that reddit previously has been of zero help to them when they were on the receiving end.
Yeah, there are a ton of people - notably sex workers - who've had their subs closed or quarantined without warning or justification, and have either recieved no response from the admins or outright unhelpful bots autoreplying and closing their queries.

These subs are then quite often 'claimed' by openly fash supermods and reopened as far-right breeding grounds.

Funny that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"a reminder of the ties that bind us"

well, a reminder that our culture held some others bound and maybe they should remember that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

In a shocking twist, it'll turn out someone Michael Gove knows really well will run the business that wins the flag-making tender.
They will immediately close their UK offices and relocate to China.
I will laugh so much when a bunch of them end up being

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I will laugh so much when a bunch of them end up being

I forgot to ask this last time the pic was posted, but what *is* that? Omron to me are makers of medical equipment flogged at an outrageous premium in Boots, but that looks like some sort of mains switch - have they moved into electric chair manufacture?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Inadequate butt plug.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

I'm fairly certain the Metropolitan line terminates somewhere in Wales already.

The funny thing is that the outer limits of the Met already show the weakness in my plan because the Oyster card can't actually go beyond Zone 9 (it's already stymied bringing Thameslink fully into the system), and they can't be arsed replacing all of them to remove the restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The funny thing is that the outer limits of the Met already show the weakness in my plan because the Oyster card can't actually go beyond Zone 9 (it's already stymied bringing Thameslink fully into the system), and they can't be arsed replacing all of them to remove the restriction.

When you say "can't go beyond zone 9" do you mean because of getting service operators to agree and stuff or literally because Oyster systems cannot handle double digit zone numbers?