Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh it’s right stuck

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374597391463120896?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pump air into the sand to cause liquifaction, the just float the ships off the canal :pseudo:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That would certainly explain the heroic single excavator

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL the ship tried to plow the canal with it's ship dong.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

zedprime posted:

That would certainly explain the heroic single excavator

Every excavator operator I've ever met smoked like a chimney.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s an Oglaf for this.

:nws: ”Addons”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Simply blow it up with dynamite like a beached whale.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I blame capitalism for the stuck ship

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
dusts off Project Plowshare

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

dusts off Project Plowshare

What would be the plan here? Nuke the place and then wait 30 years until it's safe to use?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Worse goatse ever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cojawfee posted:

What would be the plan here? Nuke the place and then wait 30 years until it's safe to use?

I watched an old informational film about the project from when it was taking place and the narrator explained that "all radioactive material will be carried safely out to sea."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I watched an old informational film about the project from when it was taking place and the narrator explained that "all radioactive material will be carried safely out to sea."

Beyond the environment?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R9huAlvy2g

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Garrand posted:

Ah, the tubgirl maneuver.

holy poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Has Elon Musk invented a solution, sent it to Egypt unsolicited, and then called them all pedos when they don’t use it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also another point about Project Plowshare -- atomic bombs actually don't produce as much long-term radioactive fallout as people think. Fat Man contained about 6 kg of plutonium, 15% of which was fissioned. Obviously the instantaneous radiation at the moment of detonation was extremely lethal, but after that first millisecond you've only got <6 kg of radioisotopes scattered around plus a whole lot of short-lived (days) neutron-activated dirt to deal with. People were reoccupying and starting to rebuild Nagasaki within a couple of months.

Compare that to say Chernobyl where the reactor contained over 190,000 kg of fuel and it burned for 2 weeks.

The salt the earth / nuclear winter scenario is a situation that would only result from a full scale nuclear exchange, where you have hundreds of megatons of bombs going off all at once. And even then nuclear winter is considered today to be kind of sketchy science (though the fallout in that situation would be much more like Chernobyl than Nagasaki).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 24, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Sagebrush posted:

That would block the canal. We should free it, sail it clear, and then blow it up.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Lol "wait 30 years" they probably planned for crews to come in later that day

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Fun fact: In parts of Germany you are advised not to pick mushrooms because they are apparently really good at concentrating the fallout Chernobyl that rained across Europe.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Fun fact: In parts of Germany you are advised not to pick mushrooms because they are apparently really good at concentrating the fallout Chernobyl that rained across Europe.

It's your standard bioaccumulation. The higher up the food chain you go, the more radioactive particles. Same reason there are radioactive boars — they eat the plants/mushrooms.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Cable Guy posted:

That's just our goon Dan Warren spruiking his new album...

Ha! Someone just sent me a link to this post. I was making the same joke on twitter.

https://twitter.com/danlwarren/status/1374767119657660421?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

waffle iron posted:

It's your standard bioaccumulation. The higher up the food chain you go, the more radioactive particles. Same reason there are radioactive boars — they eat the plants/mushrooms.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use air bags like is done in salvage to lift the ship up and out of the bank.

We’re going to need a bigger bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRFWQjGlZng

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This company really want to sell yellow sacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRSLM3u62s

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

They should just put a treadmill under the boat

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
put legs on it. clearly it is yearning to return to the land

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Platystemon posted:

Use air bags like is done in salvage to lift the ship up and out of the bank.

We’re going to need a bigger bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRFWQjGlZng

Those images are hilarious when compared to the absolutely insane amount of work they had to do to actually salvage the Costa Concordia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fZihl9wk8

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Sagebrush posted:

Also another point about Project Plowshare -- atomic bombs actually don't produce as much long-term radioactive fallout as people think. Fat Man contained about 6 kg of plutonium, 15% of which was fissioned. Obviously the instantaneous radiation at the moment of detonation was extremely lethal, but after that first millisecond you've only got <6 kg of radioisotopes scattered around plus a whole lot of short-lived (days) neutron-activated dirt to deal with. People were reoccupying and starting to rebuild Nagasaki within a couple of months.

Compare that to say Chernobyl where the reactor contained over 190,000 kg of fuel and it burned for 2 weeks.

The salt the earth / nuclear winter scenario is a situation that would only result from a full scale nuclear exchange, where you have hundreds of megatons of bombs going off all at once. And even then nuclear winter is considered today to be kind of sketchy science (though the fallout in that situation would be much more like Chernobyl than Nagasaki).

Yeah, in practical terms atom bombs can't kill anyone.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So this is officially the greatest act of boatfuckling for a while right? I know no ships actually sunk but the sheer number of delayed boats must be staggering.
And no end in sight.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

And it was a serious undertaking to clear it, taking more than a year after the diplomatic issues were resolved.

Now, Egypt could more thoroughly block the canal than any third-party is capable of, but still, the canal has been out of commission for a long time in the past, and it could happen again.

They probably wouldn't want to, though, the canal is very lucrative:
"Suez Canal charges vary according to the size of the vessel, its routeing, the number of containers carried and the proportion of laden boxes, but as a rule of thumb, a fully laden 20,000 teu container vessel on a headhaul Asia-Europe sailing could expect to pay around $700,000 in transit fees."

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Local equivalent of 11'8 bridge. Earlier today a guy hauling a fork lift hit a bridge, closing all four lanes of the road and causing unknown (but potentially tens of thousands dollars) damage to both the forklift and the bridge. Best part, he argued that he wasn't over height. Yes sir, that bridge came out of nowhere (it's a 16'6 bridge).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

By popular demand posted:

So this is officially the greatest act of boatfuckling for a while right? I know no ships actually sunk but the sheer number of delayed boats must be staggering.
And no end in sight.

There are at least a hundred ships backlogged that would have passed through in the time since it's been stuck. That number increases every minute.

This incident is going to cost billions.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So worst boatfuckling since WW2 ?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They probably wouldn't want to, though, the canal is very lucrative:
"Suez Canal charges vary according to the size of the vessel, its routeing, the number of containers carried and the proportion of laden boxes, but as a rule of thumb, a fully laden 20,000 teu container vessel on a headhaul Asia-Europe sailing could expect to pay around $700,000 in transit fees."

Clearly there's an opportunity for Israel to dig a competing canal from the Gulf of Aqaba to the Mediterranean...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Elon should propose a movable canal lock type thing which is just an incredibly large water filled tank on wheels that boats sail into and it takes them across the land.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are at least a hundred ships backlogged that would have passed through in the time since it's been stuck. That number increases every minute.

This incident is going to cost billions.

Yeah, cost of having the ships hang out or detour rather than doing something lucrative, cost of the delayed arrival of whatever is on those ships, it's gonna be insane.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Can they saw off the penis or would that make it sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

gonadic io posted:

Elon should propose a movable canal lock type thing which is just an incredibly large water filled tank on wheels that boats sail into and it takes them across the land.

Why not a single boat that carries multiple boats so you can get more boats through at once?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2158305/Thats-load-ships-The-carrier-boat-hold-22-barges--oil-rig--back.html