Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Climate refugee crisis isn't real because you can just say "no" to people illegally trying to cross the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1374485091359977476?s=19

I think Doug Ford's eased his own personal care (grooming) restrictions enough

Jesus look how long and disgusting those sideburns are

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Popoto posted:

a lot of modern, quebec bashing anglos from the ROC often like to pass under the rug that Quebecers where for the longest time the slaves of Canada until the quiet revolution. you still got some fossils alive today that believe it should go back to that.

:magemage:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I can make an excellent argument that French Canadians were treated as an exploitable underclass by the English....

BUT I also seem to recall that in the 18th century the vast majority of slave owners in Quebec were French Canadian and a small number of British owners.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Slotducks posted:

Nevermind the fact that we have like 0 people hired to actually go through actual contact tracing measures

I signed up to volunteer for contact tracing and additionally was then contacted by stats can to be employed to do contract tracing. Nothing ever came of it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

saints gambit posted:

I signed up to volunteer for contact tracing and additionally was then contacted by stats can to be employed to do contract tracing. Nothing ever came of it.

Can I guess that this timeline was probably all around june or july?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/p_poutine/status/1374779444078985218?s=21

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Reality Protester posted:

it's clear society has given up any pretense of covid precautions. roll a vaccine truck up and down the streets and let's go get our hair cut.

Combination vaccine / haircut truck with ice cream van music.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Slotducks posted:

Can I guess that this timeline was probably all around june or july?

I believe I signed up as a volunteer that early but didn't get contacted about employment until September and went through background checks and all of that palaver and was accepted into a pool of candidates in December.

Nothing has happened yet.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Hell yeah the Oxford vaccine is going to make me jacked now WHERE THE gently caress IS IT JOHN

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I think there are a lot of people in here who got a lovely Canadian history education and need remedial classes

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

linoleum floors posted:

I think there are a lot of people in here who got a lovely Canadian history education and need remedial classes

We had a whole unit in grade 7 about Indigenous people and I certainly don't recall coming away with any sense that settlers were the villains in the story. I didn't really start to get the whole story until I dated a girl who was taking an Indigenous studies course in university. I only learned about the residential school system because I used to help her edit her essays. I graduated high school in the early 2000s so I don't know the curriculum has been updated since then but the Canadian history course we had in grade 10 seemed to mostly be about how we single-handedly won World War I and II and how we're the peacekeepers of the world.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

linoleum floors posted:

you can just say canadian education, lovely at history is implied

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

prepare for the return of the tide of wexit morons, as the supreme court ruled that a federal minimum price on carbon is constitutional:

quote:

OTTAWA—The Supreme Court of Canada ruled Thursday that the federal government has the power to impose a minimum carbon price across the country in the name of reducing greenhouse gas emissions “as a matter of national concern.”

The decision is a victory for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government, who have staked the success of their climate plan on Ottawa’s authority to ensure there is a minimum carbon price in all provinces and territories.

In a majority decision, six of the nine judges on Canada’s top court upheld the federal Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act as constitutional in its entirety, dismissing legal challenges from the governments of Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan that argued the law interfered with provincial jurisdiction. The court sided with federal government lawyers who made the case that Ottawa has the authority to impose a minimum carbon price because reducing greenhouse gas emissions is a “national concern” under the Constitution’s “peace, order and good government” clause.

“This matter is critical to our response to an existential threat to human life in Canada and around the world,” the majority decision reads.

The court found that provinces are also limited in their ability to combat the threat of climate change alone, and that Canada’s overall effort to reduce emissions would be jeopardized if any one province refused to take part in carbon pricing schemes with a minimum level of stringency.

In light of this, the court determined that potential interference in a province’s “preferred balance between economic and environmental considerations” is justified, because of the harms that would occur if Ottawa could not lead a national response to climate change.

“This irreversible harm would be felt across the country and would be borne disproportionately by vulnerable communities and regions in Canada,” the decision says. “The impact on those interests justify the limited constitutional impact on provincial jurisdiction.”

The federal carbon price law was enacted in 2018 and created a requirement for provinces to either make their own carbon pricing schemes — through a tax or cap-and-trade system — that meet minimum standards set by Ottawa. Provinces that do not create such systems are subject to the federal “backstop” carbon price, which includes a “fuel charge” on gasoline and other fuels that is offset by rebates sent to households, and a separate pricing system for heavy industries like cement and steel production.

The federal minimum price is currently set at $30 per tonne of emissions, and the Liberal government intends to keep raising it until it hits $170 per tonne in 2030.

The policy has been the locus of a heated political battle, however, with federal Conservatives and like-minded provincial governments deriding the carbon price as a “job-killing tax on everything.” Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole has vowed to scrap the policy if he wins power, and has promised to unveil a credible plan to reduce emissions without it.

The Liberal government, meanwhile, has defended the carbon price as an essential tool to reduce emissions and fulfil its promise to exceed Canada’s current goal of reducing emissions to 30 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030, and to hit net-zero emissions by 2050.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
good. i dont own a car so im glad the carbon tax takes money from SUV owning boomers and gives it directly to me. we need more programs like that

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

prom candy posted:

We had a whole unit in grade 7 about Indigenous people and I certainly don't recall coming away with any sense that settlers were the villains in the story. I didn't really start to get the whole story until I dated a girl who was taking an Indigenous studies course in university. I only learned about the residential school system because I used to help her edit her essays. I graduated high school in the early 2000s so I don't know the curriculum has been updated since then but the Canadian history course we had in grade 10 seemed to mostly be about how we single-handedly won World War I and II and how we're the peacekeepers of the world.

poo poo, I graduated high school in 2006 and I didn't learn about residential schools until after.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

good. i dont own a car so im glad the carbon tax takes money from SUV owning boomers and gives it directly to me. we need more programs like that

I mean, it could be a lot better, but it will enrage the worst offenders at least.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

poo poo, I graduated high school in 2006 and I didn't learn about residential schools until after.

Same, give or take a year.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I saw Where The Spirit Lives as a kid and thought it was a work of fiction; a belief that may have been helped along by its kumbaya bullshit ending. The first time I learned about residential schools was in 2001, in college, five years after graduating high school, and even then it was only by accident. "First Nations Issues" was a mandatory course for my program, and it was taught by a white guy who didn't have a lesson plan, set no exam, marked all submissions as A+ regardless of quality, and cancelled two classes to play "Fievel Goes West" with no followup discussion or assignment or fuckall. So, all in all, an approach to First Nations education that was entirely consistent with the colonial education system.

A couple of dudebros in my class took full advantage of the opportunity, called the Mohawks, made a visit, talked to some people and presented a seriously amazing report on the experience and the things they'd learned. I pulled some poo poo out of my rear end for a three-page essay and got the same mark they did.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

I graduated around the same time. Residential schools were definitely not part of the curriculum in Ontario at the time. I learned about them but only because my geography teacher took it upon herself to incorporate residential schools into a grade 11 elective course.

I did *a lot* of Canadian history at the schools I went to, in English and in French, and all of it was about colonizers founding Canada. The extent of what we learned about indigenous people and indigenous history was that Montreal was founded in a a place called Hochelaga and indigenous people taught Jacques Cartier and his men how to fight off scurvy. We also learned about Tecumseh, but only has his history related to the war of 1812, and Louis Riel and the Red River Rebellion.

The sad thing is this seems more comprehensive than many people I talk to.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Goosed it. posted:

I graduated around the same time. Residential schools were definitely not part of the curriculum in Ontario at the time. I learned about them but only because my geography teacher took it upon herself to incorporate residential schools into a grade 11 elective course.

I did *a lot* of Canadian history at the schools I went to, in English and in French, and all of it was about colonizers founding Canada. The extent of what we learned about indigenous people and indigenous history was that Montreal was founded in a a place called Hochelaga and indigenous people taught Jacques Cartier and his men how to fight off scurvy. We also learned about Tecumseh, but only has his history related to the war of 1812, and Louis Riel and the Red River Rebellion.

The sad thing is this seems more comprehensive than many people I talk to.

The extent of my Albertan education was "Native people exist and used to be called Indians. They worship a turtle that birthed the world or something. Now, on to the more important subject, like how Canada saved the world during the Suez Crisis."

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If anyone is interested Coursera has an Indigenous Canada course put together by University of Alberta that's pretty good. Mainly video lectures, optional PDF readings.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/indigenous-canada/home/info

It's free too!

quote:

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions.

I finished University right before they started doing the mandatory Indigenous History class at U of Winnipeg. I remember people getting so angry about that.

Really should be taught a lot sooner and with more focus as it has more relevance to our society than any of the European history we were taught in grade school.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

I finished University right before they started doing the mandatory Indigenous History class at U of Winnipeg. I remember people getting so angry about that.

Really should be taught a lot sooner and with more focus as it has more relevance to our society than any of the European history we were taught in grade school.

I had a great time reading/listening to the all my fellow students complain about that. Just great content all around. The indigenous history courses there were pretty easy and fairly interesting. Not sure what they look like now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They were in the BC curriculum circa 2010.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Kazinsal posted:

They were in the BC curriculum circa 2010.

Residential schools were still open when I graduated from high school :negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:thunk:
wow how generous. i'm sure this plan doesn't have any sinister motive. Doug Ford only wants whats best for our public institutions!
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-considers-move-to-make-remote-learning-permanent-for-all/

quote:

Ontario considers move to make remote learning permanent for all boards going forward

The Ontario government is considering legislation that would make remote learning a permanent part of the public-school system, according to a confidential ministry document.

The document from the Ministry of Education, obtained by The Globe and Mail, was shared in a meeting earlier this week with various education groups, including trustees, school administrators and teachers’ unions. It was marked confidential and for consultation purposes.

“If introduced and passed, beginning in September, 2021, parents would continue to have the ability to enroll their child in full-time synchronous remote learning if they choose going forward,” the document stated. “School boards would also be required to provide students with remote learning on snow days and in the event of an emergency that results in a school closure.”

Ontario’s back-to-school plan this academic year after the first COVID-19 lockdown last spring offered families a choice between remote learning and in-class instruction. Roughly 300,000 elementary students and 100,000 secondary students enrolled in remote learning this academic year, representing 20 per cent of the overall student population. Critics have charged that the option to extend virtual learning beyond the pandemic will disrupt the province’s public-education system, and open the door to privatization.

At least two boards – Ottawa’s public and Catholic school boards – have already asked families to choose between in-person and virtual learning for the fall, despite many unknowns in the country’s pandemic response. Others have been waiting for guidance from the Ministry of Education.

The ministry document stated that school boards could choose to operate separate virtual schools, but there would be no additional administrative funding from the government.

“If implemented,” the document stated, “this change will help ensure students have continuous access to public education, even when they cannot attend a physical school.”

Asked about possible legislation around remote learning, Caitlin Clark, a spokeswoman for Education Minister Stephen Lecce, said that Wednesday’s budget provided investments for online learning and broadband funding. The government said it was investing $40-million over two years to improve remote learning technology. The money would be used to improve connectivity in school buildings and allow students and teachers to participate in remote learning “in response to COVID-19, and for the future,” the budget read.

“Online learning has been absolutely critical in ensuring students’ continuity of learning throughout the pandemic and in mitigating learning loss,” Ms. Clark said in a statement. “We continue to consult and engage with stakeholders on maintaining this choice for parents and ensuring its availability this September.”

The ministry document stated that the province is considering a policy in which high-school students would have “guaranteed access” to their choice of any course on a “standardized list of online courses.” The change would begin in time for course selections for the 2022-23 school year.

High-school students would have the option to enroll in a teacher-supported online course or an independent learning course offered through a centre operated by TVO for English-language students and TFO for French-language students. School boards would be required to transfer a fee to TVO or TFO, the document stated.

Further, TVO and TFO would put forward “a global development strategy” to market online courses and generate revenue, the document stated. TVO and TFO would be able to enroll out-of-province students in online courses; school boards would not be able to do so, according to the document.

The ministry would also consider proposing regulatory changes that would require teacher education programs to cover how to teach in an online environment, the document said.

Harvey Bischof, president of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation, said on Wednesday that he hadn’t seen the document but was briefed on it by staff.

He said he was concerned that the government was rushing to offer virtual learning as a permanent option without any evidence on how it has worked for families. He also worried about the privatization of the education system.

“Along with a variety of concerns, which include pedagogical concerns, social-emotional development concerns, I worry that they are building an infrastructure that they could easily then sell off to the highest bidder in order to privatize a chunk of Ontario’s public-education system.”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the one thing that might actually make ontarians mad at doug ford is if he abolishes snow days

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
wow how generous. i'm sure this plan doesn't have any sinister motive. Doug Ford only wants whats best for our public institutions!
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-considers-move-to-make-remote-learning-permanent-for-all/

This reeks of something that gets to a pilot project and is then cancelled when Doug Ford loses power in 2023.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sure long-term this is a plan to replace $100k per year teachers with a homework assigning algorithm

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
good luck steve leech hope you become PM of this shithole off the back of destroying our schools

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Where does a teacher (not a professor) clear $100k

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/09/average-ontario-teacher-makes-more-100k-year/

quote:

According to recent numbers commissioned by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, high school teachers in the province make, on average, six figures a year — $103,926 with benefits included.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
In Ontario they do, at least once they hit max seniority if not before then. I personally know multiple public school teachers clearing 100k per annum

efb

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also, benefits are like 23-30% of salary with them DBPs.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Jun 28, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yeah pretty much, it's just another distortion to make people hate all those rich... credentialed... degree-havers... who shoulder the burden of raising our children?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
To clarify, I think if anything they should make more, where I am from what I've heard it's a lot less even on paper hence my surprise

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, agreed. According to the BCTF, teachers in the school district I live in range from $49k/year to a max of $95k/year, as of this upcoming July.

poo poo was bad for them when I finished high school a decade ago. That wasn't enough then and it isn't enough now.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I would posit that one of the reasons our country hadn't completely gone to poo poo yet is that our public school teachers make a livable wage, unlike our southern neighbours. At least they don't have to work at walmart on the weekend to cover rent.

Naturally, priority #1 for the Ontario Tories is defunding public schools (and hospitals) for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

drat horror queefs posted:

I would posit that one of the reasons our country hadn't completely gone to poo poo yet is that our public school teachers make a livable wage, unlike our southern neighbours. At least they don't have to work at walmart on the weekend to cover rent.

Naturally, priority #1 for the Ontario Tories is defunding public schools (and hospitals) for that reason.

yeah canadian teachers get paid decently, but every year theres a 1/10 chance you'll get laid off. Roll those dice!