Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

serious gaylord posted:

Did the crank bolts just fail? Looks like it slid right off.

This is a Rotor ALDHU24, it uses a center bolt that gets torqued to 40Nm (and that I was told by their technician to increase the torque to 50Nm when it was coming loose). This is the bit that I unscrewed that you can see still inside the spindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im buying a new bike tomorrow

beautiful blue color, nice all day riding position, disk brakes, very aero, japanese brand

but its pretty heavy and only has six speeds

but its also got 50,000 watts

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Panasonic BikkeMob with a super extended battery?

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 23, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Good Dog posted:

This is a Rotor ALDHU24, it uses a center bolt that gets torqued to 40Nm (and that I was told by their technician to increase the torque to 50Nm when it was coming loose). This is the bit that I unscrewed that you can see still inside the spindle.

Oh. Oh no. Oh no no no.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The sun's out and it's a really fun day to ride bikes except for my phone falling out of my jersey and cracking the screen

Good Dog posted:

Seems good

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Anyone in the queue for the Swytch bike conversion kit, it goes live next Tuesday.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/22/patent-patrol-is-sram-etap-wired-on-the-horizon/

In all seriousness, it makes sense, though I imagine it'd be unappealing as hell to people who wanted eTap in the first place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sounds like it’s mostly to utilize existing ebike batteries, which sounds like a good implementation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sounds like it’s mostly to utilize existing ebike batteries, which sounds like a good implementation.
Yeah the main pack powering your lights and gears is the dog's bollocks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Panasonic BikkeMob with a super extended battery?
A 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650! :ninja:

With less KM on it than my road or CX bike.

Any ways, bit different experience but I've been wanting a moto for a while. Hope it doesn't cut into cycling too much.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was going to get a little BMW 350cc motorcycle to learn to ride and on my next foot-powered ride I saw a nasty motorcycle crash. Took that as a sign from god and stayed away.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

A 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650! :ninja:

With less KM on it than my road or CX bike.

Any ways, bit different experience but I've been wanting a moto for a while. Hope it doesn't cut into cycling too much.

Nice, I have a 2006. Great easy bike to ride.

Though now I'm on the other side of the enthusiasm, plus I'm not commuting, and it mostly sits in my garage while I ride my bicycle all the time.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

Anyone in the queue for the Swytch bike conversion kit, it goes live next Tuesday.

hell no, their posho-Cambridge-boys-accent youtube advert naffs me the heck off

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I will admit that I’m mostly in the queue to find out what this mysterious “half off” means. Is it half off £2000 or £1000? Nobody knows, although if I can get minicurve’s jr sized mountain bike converted into something that does not look like an ebike it would be worth £500

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Guinness posted:

Nice, I have a 2006. Great easy bike to ride.

Though now I'm on the other side of the enthusiasm, plus I'm not commuting, and it mostly sits in my garage while I ride my bicycle all the time.
bought a years insurance and ill try it for a season at least, smoking 911s at this entry point is fun, i dont think im going to lose interest in it

the handling is familiair but the whole countersteer thing is different enough from road bikes that im def still learning

kinda take for granted how good protour road bikes handle

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I am looking to potentially get a new bike this spring and need some advice or suggestions.

I currently have a Kona Dew that I got 7 or so years ago. I like riding it but am starting to see that when I go on longer rides (20+ miles) it isn’t very comfortable. I am looking to find something that is good for longer distances and can be had for under $600 roughly. Any suggestions?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What surface, and why don't you find it comfortable?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

bought a years insurance and ill try it for a season at least, smoking 911s at this entry point is fun, i dont think im going to lose interest in it

the handling is familiair but the whole countersteer thing is different enough from road bikes that im def still learning

kinda take for granted how good protour road bikes handle

It's super fun and hilarious that you can walk nearly any 4-wheeled vehicle up to and including some six figgy super cars on a sub-$3000 motorcycle, that is itself considered nothing special. In the hierarchy of motorcycle performance the Ninja 650 is pretty pedestrian, but it's still obscenely fast by an objective measurement. Sure it's no S1000RR but it still goes from 0-Jail in just a few seconds.

For me I've always found that my brain and muscle memory switches pretty easily between bicycle and motorcycle mode. The controls and weight are different enough and the whole mental approach toward riding is so different that they're filed away in different compartments. Some people say they get things like brake levers and stuff mixed up because it's opposite of bicycles, but I've honestly never had that happen.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Harry Privates posted:

I am looking to potentially get a new bike this spring and need some advice or suggestions.

I currently have a Kona Dew that I got 7 or so years ago. I like riding it but am starting to see that when I go on longer rides (20+ miles) it isn’t very comfortable. I am looking to find something that is good for longer distances and can be had for under $600 roughly. Any suggestions?
What gets uncomfortable? Might be as simple as a saddle that doesn't agree with your butt. Other things like moving around the contact points, ie raise or lower the saddle.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 24, 2021

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Including a ferry ride on a bike ride totally counts for building out my VeloViewer squares, right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ferry rides on a bike should be encouraged :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I took my bike in a bit early this year.

Turns out it needs a new headset, yay for year round riding :shepspends:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Including a ferry ride on a bike ride totally counts for building out my VeloViewer squares, right?
if its open deck create a strava segment

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Harry Privates posted:

If new bike inventory is looking dicey in your area but you can find parts, you might be able to get away with just changing your contact points. Switching to drop bars needs new levers and shifters, but that should be possible well under that budget. I turned my 2006 Dew into my first touring bike and it was great for long distance rides loaded down with equipment.

Right now it's set up as a cyclocross bike since I found an Ultegra CX crank at a swap meet, and I put on the Aksiums that used to be on my road bike.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone tried out halo brand cycling caps? they offer a variety of hats and headbands that supposedly do a better job of keeping sweat off your face

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

What gets uncomfortable? Might be as simple as a saddle that doesn't agree with your butt. Other things like moving around the contact points, ie raise or lower the saddle.

I got a new saddle a few years ago which seemed to help with that issue, maybe it just needs more adjustment to find the right contact point.

Coxswain Balls posted:

If new bike inventory is looking dicey in your area but you can find parts, you might be able to get away with just changing your contact points. Switching to drop bars needs new levers and shifters, but that should be possible well under that budget. I turned my 2006 Dew into my first touring bike and it was great for long distance rides loaded down with equipment.

I love the way this looks and wasn't something I had considered before I will have to look into this.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone tried out halo brand cycling caps? they offer a variety of hats and headbands that supposedly do a better job of keeping sweat off your face

I loved the fit on my bald noggin but it actively made my wife recoil in sartorial horror. Never got a chance to test the sweat blocking ability, unfortunately.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m about to order one because not having a layer between the wind and my luxuriously smooth bald head has kept me off my bike. I sweat like a pig from my head so that headband tech looks nice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ct-exclusive-canyon-opens-up-about-aeroad-handlebar-woes-details-plan-moving-forward/
It wasn't the clamp on its own, Canyon admits, but at least underspecced strength carbon that caused the snap.

quote:

In fact, Canyon isn’t planning on changing the original seatpost at all, and insists that the design and concept are sound. Instead, the company is working on a way to seal the area from water and debris.

quote:

The sealing is not so simple, I have to say. I think when it’s ready, it’s not like just putting a hat on it or something on the top side of the frame. It’s a bit more complicated of a design. This will keep any dirt from getting in, and it will also reduce the friction between the seatpost and frame as much as possible.
For sure they're gonna add some shim in the back that not only keeps grit out but also conveniently prevents direct rub.

quote:

Initially, the implication was that all of those bikes would have to be physically sent back to Canyon headquarters in Koblenz, Germany, but in reality, that’s not the case.

“Right now, we are thinking about three different offerings: offering number one — I’m not sure from a legal point — but we think most of our customers can even do it by themselves. We’ll just send the new bars to them. Second option is Velofix; we will pay for it, of course. Third option is to go to a local dealer, and we will pay for them to install it for you.”
100% installing bars yourself is gonna bite you come warranty time.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't ride without one. They're so loving good. I've only ever used the headbands, not a cap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The halo stuff always dug into my skin, I couldn’t use them.

Want to try Gutr though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I had such an issue with sweat pouring directly into my eyeballs while using the Kask Protone that I could barely use it and it was even worse with sun glasses.

Never had that issue with my old Synth so I went with another Giro and got the Aether.

It has something to do with how the pads are on the Protone vs the Giro.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just get a helmet with a visor. Done.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

Just get a helmet with a visor. Done.

What about visors absorb sweat?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

What about visors absorb sweat?

Nothing but they look cooler.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

do both imo

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

For sure they're gonna add some shim in the back that not only keeps grit out but also conveniently prevents direct rub.

Problem is the abrasion damage doesn't just happen on the back of the seatpost. It happens along the entire circumference.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
F1 drivers stick a sanitary towel to the inside of their helmets but YMMV on that one.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Harry Privates posted:

I got a new saddle a few years ago which seemed to help with that issue, maybe it just needs more adjustment to find the right contact point.

I love the way this looks and wasn't something I had considered before I will have to look into this.

I don't know what wheelset yours has or if they've upgraded them since I got mine, but keep in mind for loaded touring the stock wheels are going to be inadequate. I remember the first test ride I did with 60lbs of gear I broke some spokes on the first set of railroad tracks I went over and got a set of A319s the next day. For just riding or commuting with light loads the stock wheels will probably be fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

learnincurve posted:

F1 drivers stick a sanitary towel to the inside of their helmets but YMMV on that one.
As someone without the body parts that lead to regular usage of such things, I'm always very impressed by the high level of technology and innovation built into sanitary pads. Some very smart people have been pushing the envelope in what's possible in the field of absorbing water (and watery solutions) for decades, and we're at like Tech Level 12 on this poo poo by now - you can drop a single little rectangle into a bucket of water and you'll end up with a bone-dry bucket and large squishy pad. I need to remember to ask my wife to put a couple of hers into our first aid kit - we've both had the experience of dripping blood all over the place and it's not pleasant.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't know what wheelset yours has or if they've upgraded them since I got mine, but keep in mind for loaded touring the stock wheels are going to be inadequate. I remember the first test ride I did with 60lbs of gear I broke some spokes on the first set of railroad tracks I went over and got a set of A319s the next day. For just riding or commuting with light loads the stock wheels will probably be fine, though.

I've never shopped for new wheels but I plan to find some decent wheels for my old frankenbike (after/during the replacement of the BB and the rest of the drivetrain). Is there an easy way to tell how suitable for additional weight a given wheel is? Do the manufacturers tell you how much weight they can take?