Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hammerite posted:

nfts are so stupid that I can't really 100% believe all these people are actually serious about them. I feel like they are gonna turn around any minute and go "sike! you really thought we believed this obvious cuckoo clock bullshit? come on man"
these headlines have a serious "NORAD tracking Santa Claus" make-believe energy, maybe they're in on the scam

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1373976320263270400
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1373977036709068800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
so this is just the robot going ham with a paintbrush on already existing images, like three of those portraits are the exact same pose

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

cool av posted:

with NFTs, I'm pretty convinced it's a lot more driven by naive enthusiasts. but maybe I'm wrong.

It's crypto. There are a lot of naive enthusiasts but there's also a substantial number of grifters.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

cool av posted:

with right wing chest-thumping, the blatant lying is part of the whole show. the fact that you're lying and you and everybody else knows it and yet you only double-down when confronted, is what makes you strong.

with NFTs, I'm pretty convinced it's a lot more driven by naive enthusiasts. but maybe I'm wrong.

that's true of the right-wing election lie ringleaders, but what makes it work are the countless dipshits who actually believe it. The ringleaders know its a show but the show doesn't work without an audience. a Sidney Powell tweet doesn't mean much until a hundred thousand credulous morons hit the retweet button. Hell, the DC courts are currently overwhelmed with processing indictments for hundreds of idiots who believed it so much that they drove cross-country in January to commit a bunch of felonies, after which they tell FBI agents and federal judges that they only did it because they believed Serious People like Donald Trump and Sidney Powell

I don't think that environment is all that dissimilar from crypto and NFT stuff. Most of the folks now hollering about NFTs on social media are naively caught up in the hype and don't realize (and don't want to realize, once they're emotionally invested in it) that there's just nothing there, but there's a bunch of ringleaders who know it's bullshit and are just in it to make a buck. It might not yet have dawned on Twitter rube #43023 that they're buying nothing but a meaningless serial number on a list, whereas the folks who wrote the Foundation.app terms of service know that but are happy to let everyone assume otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I haven't read it, but there's a book on bitcoins connections to very right-wing movements. There's probably more of a connection than most of us realize.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shumagorath posted:

imagine not only being dumb enough to send a dick pic, but sending a dick pic to someone weird enough to react to it by minting an NFT, and then having to DMCA your own dick

cant

my rear end is public domain

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Boxturret posted:

for every tweet a winkelvode makes they pass the phone back and forth typing one character each. it is a solemn ceremony that can take several hours

genuinely lol'd at this image

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I imagine the Winklevii like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vkAmDUUf60

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Crypto/NFT poster child Beeple immediately cashed out all of his ETH to USD and admitted NFTs are a bubble lmao

https://twitter.com/KennethDredd/status/1374683464998350854

later nerds thanks for the $50mil

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
beeple betrayed me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

name change to "man of the beeple"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I'm "recalled, recalling"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

repiv posted:

Crypto/NFT poster child Beeple immediately cashed out all of his ETH to USD and admitted NFTs are a bubble lmao

nice

hopefully he'll buy us all drinks next time I see him

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

god drat, i saw beeple in one of corridor crew's old yt video and i hadn't made the link until recently. had a feeling he was just a weird dude and i'm so very glad he cashed out. good on you beeple, now do something good with that money

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Has CIG created any spaceship jpeg NFTs yet? Surely they would want to get in on this grift.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ocean of Milk posted:

Has CIG created any spaceship jpeg NFTs yet? Surely they would want to get in on this grift.

it's like you're drawing a summoning circle for him.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
s e r a p h has gone quiet because he's busy shilling for nfts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

He's like beetlejuice, mention him by name 3 times and he shall appear.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't read it, but there's a book on bitcoins connections to very right-wing movements. There's probably more of a connection than most of us realize.

it's a good book and everyone should read it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I want these NFT people to explain to me how the artist was able to upload the "original" to the server without making a copy. And how they view the picture not as a copy through the internet.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 25, 2021

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Fame Douglas posted:

I want these NFT people to explain to me how the artist was able to upload the "original" to the server without making a copy. And how they view the picture not as a copy through the internet.

electrons are fungible.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fame Douglas posted:

Beeple did an interview with Corridor Digital that kind of went into it. He describes it less as being about "originality" as it is about basically having a certificate of ownership. Now that there can be certificates of ownership minted by the original artist that can be sold, it creates a market (that he also admits is pretty much purely speculation, with maybe a small touch of people wanting to support artists).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13U573keZ3A

(They do insert a whole segment completely bullshitting about the environmental impact, which sucks and is the worst part of the video.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Artists selling their work digitally is nothing new, it's why something like Patreon exists. And I find it highly doubtful there's going to be a flourishing secondary market for "used" tokens in the future.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Next you're gonna say that about guns :rolleyes:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

Next you're gonna say that about guns :rolleyes:

wonder how Smith & Wesson is gonna get in on the nft craze

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

repiv posted:

this guy's art seems pretty cool and it's nice to see he's also not a moron. good for him for walking away with $50 mil of some crypto idiot's money - i'd do the same if i had any talent at all

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He doesn't have any talent at all either, he just said it's a bubble. Right place, right time type of thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All his art is terrible, imagine paying millions for that Deviant Art-level garbage, lmao.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

name change to "man of the beeple"
president beeple

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fame Douglas posted:

Artists selling their work digitally is nothing new, it's why something like Patreon exists. And I find it highly doubtful there's going to be a flourishing secondary market for "used" tokens in the future.

It feels like they're trying to bootstrap a high art market into existence. If they can do that, then I can see it becoming something significant even if there are only few thousand absurd billionaires who really care about it. Hell, plenty of the existing market in high art and famous historical pieces operate in a very similar kind of space anyways. Rich guy A buys famous painting or historical artifact from rich guy B, but the whole time the piece stays "on loan" in the collection of a museum where the public can see it (and where professionals can do things like make sure it stays in pristine condition).

The high art market is all clout-chasing (and money laundering), so a system that allows that to happen with digital art isn't automatically doomed. A lot of it will depend on what happens when the owner of NFT for "The First 5000 Days" puts it up for sale. If it can sell for at or above the amount it went for originally, then this will probably be around a long time. There's no way to tell if that will happen though, because like all high art sales it'll be entirely a matter of hype and the whims of rich people.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And if you think about it, when "The First 5000 Days" 404s, it's only more arty and valuable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to make a bitcoin blockchain NFT and sell it for twenty trillion dollars.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to make a bitcoin blockchain NFT and sell it for twenty trillion dollars.

hi craig

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

catspleen posted:

electrons are fungible.

blockchain technology could* make non-fungible electrons, invest now

("indistinguishability of particles" sounds fake so blockchain developers could* just innovatively disrupt around it)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked

There's a paywall but it's easily defeated by an incognito window.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ultrafilter posted:

Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked

lol isn't ethereum classic the currency that literally takes pride in coding errors i.e. the dao?

vulnerabilities aren't exactly out of character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

wonder how Smith & Wesson is gonna get in on the nft craze

right now my wife tells me magazines are selling for over $100 because the gun market operates in a very bitcoinlike speculative bubble manner, except instead of speculating on future price you're speculating on right wing pissbaby fears that contrary to all past evidence the democrats might actually do something about a problem one of these days

i guess what i'm saying is i'm sure we'll be seeing gun nft's any time now because it absolutely fits