Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There's also the Cults podcast from Parcast. It looks like they did 2 episodes on it. I've never tried them out since I've usually heard that they're intensely boring and I've got a huge backlog, but they seem to be the only other game in town. I'd be curious if anyone listened to them and liked them.

If you'd like comedy mixed in to keep it from being too bleak, then I'd second the LPotL series. Haven't tried out the Cult Podcast.

Cons, it's an older episode back when Henry still thought it was the funniest thing to do an ironically racist Asian accent sometimes. I'll lightly defend it as being a sincere case of him just wanting to embarrass himself and the co-hosts, but it's pretty :yikes:. Although at some point Henry gets freaked out enough by the events that he mostly drops it in the later episodes of the series, I think. Also, yeah, Henry's an acquired taste at the best of times. I like him overall, but "half-decent at best Chris Farley impersonation" is a fair description and you might find yourself wishing he'd shut up.

On the plus side, I've consistently heard people who seemed to know what they were talking about say that it did an excellent job covering the whole history of the cult. It's apparently one of the few sources that bothers to cover the explosion of religious cults in Japan and how that allowed Aum Shinrikyo to rise up, as well as explaining their particular philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr. Lucien Sanchez posted:

Why is it so good? I mean, I agree completely, but what is the motivation to release a free podcast of this quality with this level of production value and no advertising? Amazing.

Omnicarus posted:

It does make about 10k a month off it's patreon so it has some money behind it

Yeah I joined the Patreon on the strength of the 2nd episode dealing with the Bronze Age Collapse; that's a really hard one to encapsulate and everyone's had a crack at it. Paul's takes aren't trying to be scholarly but they're always backed up by good sources and he makes good use of voice actors, media and even commissions music. One of the gems of the series is episode 6, about the "mystery" of Easter Island and, not for the first time, skewers a particular kind of European technological chauvinism which created a myth about the island perhaps because of all the damage they did to it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The biggest problem with Carlin is is output just isn’t very good. I listened to his mongol empire one and I didn’t feel like I learned much from it. Considering how long winded he is that’s really bad

I think it's a bit deeper than that. He was kind of a pioneer in history podcasting, bringing decent quality production values and interesting stories to a wide range of subjects. But as podcasting has become way more popular (basically since Serial, ~2014) a lot more people have gotten into the game. Production values have gotten way higher, content has gotten more frequent, and there's now an enormous range of subjects and perspectives to choose from. The genre has hugely left him behind, where a guy ranting for five hours about Midway or Coral Sea just isn't that appealing any more.

Considering his glacial pace of content, it really doesn't help that he's spent three (3!!!!!!) years now on a subject most people already have decent knowledge of.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
More podcasts really should be five hours long though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Is Hardcore History not making as much money as it used to or something? I don't disagree with any of the critiques posted in this thread but my impression is that he makes a boatload of money to make History Channel Dad: The Podcast whenever he feels like it and there's no real reason to change as long as the Patreon money keeps coming.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
5 hours of content every 6-10 months just doesn't work when people produce 5 hours of content a month that isn't just 35% dramatic silence. Time has passed his format by

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Not exactly raking in the bucks considering how often he releases stuff.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's also been 6 months since the last Addendum episode

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I don't resent the slow pace of Carlin's releases. But the individual length makes them really difficult to consume, especially when these huge, indigestible lumps of content land months apart. What was he talking about again? Where am I up to in this episode? Man really needs an editor.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The length doesn't bother me too much (I already listen to like a dozen multi-hour podcasts :v:), but I agree that he'd benefit if someone cut him off at 2 hours and released that content as he went along. That'd at least double his rate of releases and wouldn't impact much other than maybe his own internal production methods, which I imagine are the sticking point. But whatevs. I treat his content as a neat thing to save for when I need to do something long and tedious, and I don't need to pay as much attention to the podcast as an audiobook or more succinct/in-depth history shows. Just don't listen to Common Sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Length and time doesn’t bother me. If he needs six months to properly research and draft a script fine. If he needs ten hours to tell the story fair enough. But the problem is the product doesn’t reflect either of those things really

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Carlin lost a lot of credibility for me a year or two ago when he went on Mysterious Universe. Giving any kind of endorsement, even if it's just appearing on their show, to those loving cranks is something that anyone who considers themself to be interested in serious history should never do.

I say this as someone who, even as a hardcore skeptic, still used to enjoy them for a while. But since 2016 or so they have just doubled down on "anti-materialism" and alternative history and crypto-alt-right stuff like China hysteria and covid denialism. Their version of history is Graham Hancock. For Carlin to go on it was really souring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just don't give a gently caress about WWII, which means that Carlin has been dead to me for years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

I just don't give a gently caress about WWII, which means that Carlin has been dead to me for years.

Yeah that’s basically the thing for me as well. I much prefer his 20th century stuff.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah that’s basically the thing for me as well. I much prefer his 20th century stuff.

...when do you think WWII took place?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Lol

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

WW2 is a hella interesting period of history and still very relevant to society across the globe today, but my prob is the same everyone's mentioned when it comes to detailing stuff that's already fairly well established. Ghosts of the Ostfront was great because it had very little to do with American involvement and emphasized how much of the war happened in the east; if you have an American history education, you're kinda just vaguely aware a lot of russian people died and then we did a D-day and ended the war.

The stuff with the Japanese perspective is interesting, but nowadays I dunno if I trust Carlin to do great by that. So I take it with a grain of salt, or compare what I know from other history sources.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Appoda posted:

WW2 is a hella interesting period of history and still very relevant to society across the globe today, but my prob is the same everyone's mentioned when it comes to detailing stuff that's already fairly well established. Ghosts of the Ostfront was great because it had very little to do with American involvement and emphasized how much of the war happened in the east; if you have an American history education, you're kinda just vaguely aware a lot of russian people died and then we did a D-day and ended the war.

The stuff with the Japanese perspective is interesting, but nowadays I dunno if I trust Carlin to do great by that. So I take it with a grain of salt, or compare what I know from other history sources.

Yeah I actually really agree with this. It's not that WW2 is a bad topic by default, since the Eastern Front series was really interesting, but the Pacific Theatre is pretty well-trodden ground for what I'd guess is the majority of Dan's audience (westerners). I listen to podcasts to learn about topics I'm not familiar with, so it's kinda hard to justify spending 10+ hours on such a well known area.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you're interested in that sort of stuff, the History of Japan podcasts has some great little miniseries covering the same material but very much focusing on the Japanese experience.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A story I'd really like to hear is the impact of the Age of Imperialism, WW1, and WW2 on Africa and the Middle East, from the perspective of Africa and the Middle East. The scramble for Africa, post WW1/Ottoman Empire partitioning of the Middle East, and the Africa campaigns in WW2 largely shaped the geopolitics of those areas up through the modern day and something other than a bland retelling from an Imperialist western perspective would be fascinating.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

A story I'd really like to hear is the impact of the Age of Imperialism, WW1, and WW2 on Africa and the Middle East, from the perspective of Africa and the Middle East. The scramble for Africa, post WW1/Ottoman Empire partitioning of the Middle East, and the Africa campaigns in WW2 largely shaped the geopolitics of those areas up through the modern day and something other than a bland retelling from an Imperialist western perspective would be fascinating.

Martyrmade's series on Israel. Don't look into the guys politics the content is good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

lol. I missed the word pre in that sentence.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has Carlin ever said anything about changing format or anything at all?
Not going to get my hopes up that he ever does. Betting he is stuck in his ways and his current way still works plenty fine to continue.

edit:vvv yea excluding those cause blitz to him is still 4 hours

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah he introduced the blitz episodes to get us shorter episodes sooner, I think we can see how that worked out

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Lmao, I forgot about the blitz episodes. The last one apparently came out two years ago tomorrow and the second to last was a full year before that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sydin posted:

History of the 20th century is pretty good for this. And not problematic... Last time I checked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

webmeister posted:

Yeah I actually really agree with this. It's not that WW2 is a bad topic by default, since the Eastern Front series was really interesting, but the Pacific Theatre is pretty well-trodden ground for what I'd guess is the majority of Dan's audience (westerners). I listen to podcasts to learn about topics I'm not familiar with, so it's kinda hard to justify spending 10+ hours on such a well known area.

A lot of the French people I've met really aren't all that aware of what happened in the Pacific, that's definitely a US and Pacific Rim thing. So his European audience is probably interested anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the extent to which even most Americans really understand the war in the Pacific is being dramatically overstated here. History nerds might have a pretty solid idea, but I feel like Hardcore History is enough of a gateway podcast that plenty of people really will be hearing about a lot of it for the first time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Boats are boring. I'm sorry to be the one to speak the hard truths here, but it's just the facts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
History podcasts aren’t really for the common American. Especially Carlin’s pretty dry ones

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Boats are boring. I'm sorry to be the one to speak the hard truths here, but it's just the facts.

Take a look at the Yamato and tell me you're not getting hardcore anime vibes.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
WWII is like the Charizard of History.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Naw man the age of sail was neato

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Samovar posted:

History of the 20th century is pretty good for this. And not problematic... Last time I checked.

He's extremely good and really hits on a variety of topics.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arrhythmia posted:

And yet the MHP is fascinating. “Funny auld world, innit?” (atkstd)!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last time I tried the Maritime History Podcast, it was just too sleepy for me. I can deal with that in a video or a book, but an audio format needs a little more audio showmanship.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's not technically a podcast but for boat stuff I like listening to Drachinifel. It's mostly military history, which some might find limiting, but I've always found him to be both interesting and informative—and while his videos do have a visual component, it's usually minor enough that I can easily put them on and merely listen while focusing on something else.

As a sample, here's his video on the infamous voyage of the Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron preceding their destruction at Tsushima, which actually got a shout-out from the relevant episode of the Revolutions podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That looks really great, I just wish there was a way to change YouTube channels into rss feeds

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I found a channel called Casual Navigation which is more dedicated to ships in a less-military manner.

Here's a video that's pretty currently relevant.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374597391463120896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

evilpicard posted:

That looks really great, I just wish there was a way to change YouTube channels into rss feeds

there is.

code:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCKijjvu6bN1c-ZHVwR7-5WA[/url]
replace the channel id with the channel you'd like to subscribe to

e: dumb forum keeps adding the url tags ignore that