Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Thor: Ragnarok is my favorite Avengers movie but everyone told me the other Thors were bad so I never bothered.

They're not really bad, just very by the numbers. Loki and Odin are relatively enjoyable in all of them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

:monocle:

Also, for all the ‘Batman doesn’t kill’ thing, I don’t think there’s been a film where he hasn’t killed someone (‘66 notwithstanding).

‘66 has him and Robin (unintentionally of course) kill a bunch of Penguin’s goons with a single punch due to unstable molecules!

Only Clooneyman’s hands are bloodless and pure.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sentinel Red posted:

‘66 has him and Robin (unintentionally of course) kill a bunch of Penguin’s goons with a single punch due to unstable molecules!

Only Clooneyman’s hands are bloodless and pure.

Yeah but on the flip side Clooney’s Batman is so bad that for years if you wrote to him he would mail you back the $7.50 or whatever the movie cost back then in cash.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

People still tend to talk about Batman Forever more than any of the other ones. Maybe not for the reasons they would like but that still has to count for something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Does Kilmer kill anyone besides Two-Face? Because that one's in a gray area.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

Does Kilmer kill anyone besides Two-Face? Because that one's in a gray area.

The guy exploited Two Face's mental health condition to force him to commit suicide. That's a very black area.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MiddleOne posted:

Thor 2 is the worst of all the modern comic-book movies. Offensively boring and forgettable.

Personally I would say Iron Man 3 is weaker.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

stev posted:

The guy exploited Two Face's mental health condition to force him to commit suicide. That's a very black area.

How could he have known that Dent had such comically bad balance?

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The dark world doesn’t really start until Loki shows up, and that’s at least halfway through the movie. I never saw the first Thor, sorry

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Thor 2 is definitely the weakest MCU movie (actually...maybe Iron Man 2) but the Thor & Loki interactions were great and it was the beginning of Loki’s eventual heroic arc in the MCU. You pretty much needed the second half of Thor 2 for Ragnarok to happen. Just everything else was a waste, Jane, Darcy, warriors three, etc.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Loki, Darcy, and the Looney Tunes portal fight at the end make Dark World way more watchable and good than the credit that it’s given; Malekith being the single most Nothing waste of a villain tends to amplify its flaws, but it’s way drat better as a film than Iron Man 2 is.

Iron Man 2 has Elon Musk in it, it will never be surpassed as worst Marvel movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Heads up, there are Sam in his Cap uniform toy spoilers floating around now, so if you’re the type to prefer total surprise then be warned.

It’s a good suit though, fairly comics-accurate. Maybe a little too accurate, because the head sock thing that covers everything but his hair and face still looks dumb. The best part though is that the toy is just marketed as “Captain America”. Not “Sam Wilson as Captain America” or “Captain America II” or anything like that. Just straight up “This is Captain America now, deal with it”. It owns.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I saw Thor TDW for the first time ever a few nights ago. It really was a mindless, nothing movie that's sole purpose was to set up Infinity Stone nonsense. Mildly entertaining, and I can completely understand why Portman didn't want to go further with the Thor franchise if that's the kind of script they would give her. Jane Foster was nothing more than a walking macguffin that entire movie. What a waste of a good actor.

If Hemsworth and Hiddleston weren't charismatic as gently caress both by themselves and together, I can't imagine that it would've gotten any goodwill.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nikumatic posted:

Loki, Darcy, and the Looney Tunes portal fight at the end make Dark World way more watchable and good than the credit that it’s given; Malekith being the single most Nothing waste of a villain tends to amplify its flaws, but it’s way drat better as a film than Iron Man 2 is.

Iron Man 2 has Elon Musk in it, it will never be surpassed as worst Marvel movie.

The Musk thing indeed taints the movie and is embarrassingly out of place having recently rewatched, but Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer means it cannot possibly be the worst Marvel movie.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Doctor Nutt posted:

The Musk thing indeed taints the movie and is embarrassingly out of place having recently rewatched, but Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer means it cannot possibly be the worst Marvel movie.

I've only seen 2 once but all I remember is Rockwell dancing and arguing with Mickey Rourke about birds, and I'm like "why's everyone so down on it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPFm5io0vw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GigaPeon posted:

I've only seen 2 once but all I remember is Rockwell dancing and arguing with Mickey Rourke about birds, and I'm like "why's everyone so down on it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPFm5io0vw

God whatever they can do to get Sam Rockwell back for more Justin Hammer, they just need to do it. Could see him worked into a Damage Control show pretty easily. Were they still developing something like that or was it completely cancelled?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Doctor Nutt posted:

God whatever they can do to get Sam Rockwell back for more Justin Hammer, they just need to do it. Could see him worked into a Damage Control show pretty easily. Were they still developing something like that or was it completely cancelled?

I feel like that got tossed in the same bin as "Bobbi and Hunter's Total Not Burn Notice".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ShakeZula posted:

I've rewatched the first one many times, but whenever I do I tend to skip all the Asgard stuff. Thor as a fish-out-of-water on Earth is excellent.

I could watch Chris Hemsworth smashing glasses on the floor to request more to drink and/or walking into a pet store to demand a horse all day long. Plus Jane and the gang accidentally running him over more than once was awesome. Hell, I loved the truck rally around the Hammer because that poo poo would absolutely happen in America. And even the Asgard scenes weren't bad in a hammy Shakespeare kind of way.

With Thor 2 the only "goodish" parts were Loki finally being an antihero, Jane in Asgard and the London stuff.

Thor 3 was awesome, hilarious and hilariously awesome all the way through. Plus it gets ultimate bonus points for being the Thor movie that finally used Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I liked Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2, his whole thing was very compelling, teasing that Howard Stark was not squeaky clean.

Wish they had been ballsy enough to stick with it and play with shades of antiheroism and sins of the father.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah, it’s the real Schroedinger’s Worst. At the very least Hammer showed up briefly in Hail to the King and I’ll pretty much riot if he’s not in Armor Wars (unless Rockwell demurs if offered). Once we get Hammer relinquished from IM2 exclusivity I will become only more entrenched and belligerent on this stance.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like the part in Thor where Hawkeye was obviously written/filmed at a later date and awkwardly cut into the scene where Thor can't lift the hammer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Firebert posted:

Thor 2 is definitely the weakest MCU movie (actually...maybe Iron Man 2) but the Thor & Loki interactions were great and it was the beginning of Loki’s eventual heroic arc in the MCU. You pretty much needed the second half of Thor 2 for Ragnarok to happen. Just everything else was a waste, Jane, Darcy, warriors three, etc.

Loved how Ragnarok just kills them instantly with like no fanfare.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Heads up, there are Sam in his Cap uniform toy spoilers floating around now, so if you’re the type to prefer total surprise then be warned.

It’s a good suit though, fairly comics-accurate. Maybe a little too accurate, because the head sock thing that covers everything but his hair and face still looks dumb. The best part though is that the toy is just marketed as “Captain America”. Not “Sam Wilson as Captain America” or “Captain America II” or anything like that. Just straight up “This is Captain America now, deal with it”. It owns.

It saddens me that I can predict with a high likelyhood of accuracy there's gonna be a vocal minority very upset about a black man being Captain America

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RYYSZLA posted:

It saddens me that I can predict with a high likelyhood of accuracy there's gonna be a vocal minority very upset about a black man being Captain America

And why not? It worked in Blazing Saddles.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And why not? It worked in Blazing Saddles.

I don't think marvel want that to happen though, is the thing. I've already seen too many reddit prime hottakes on the subject, I suppose

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

MiddleOne posted:

Thor 2 is the worst of all the modern comic-book movies. Offensively boring and forgettable.

Worst mcu movie? Yeah. Worst comic book movie? Hell no! In the last decade alone we've had Green lantern, justice league (non snyder cut), ww84, ASM2, bloodshot, the hellboy reboot, RIPD, x-men apocalypse and dark phoenix, the wolverine, mib 3 and international, and worst of all Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice which could contend for one of the worst Hollywood botch jobs of all time. Thor 2 is citizen kane compared to some of that crap.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My extremely Dark Horse take is that Logan also sucks and was an extremely bad movie but all anyone remembers is BERZERKER RAGE in the last five seconds

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 24, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bust Rodd posted:

My extremely Dark Horse take is that Logan also sucks and was an extremely bad movie but all anyone remembers is BERZERKER RAGE in the last five seconds of the movie

I kind of liked Logan but I also felt like it was a bad way for Patrick Stewart's Xavier to go out? Such a dark depressing future, it didn't sit well with me as a proper "canon" X-men title.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Geo Fixer posted:

Worst mcu movie? Yeah. Worst comic book movie? Hell no! In the last decade alone we've had Green lantern, justice league (non snyder cut), ww84, ASM2, bloodshot, the hellboy reboot, RIPD, x-men apocalypse and dark phoenix, the wolverine, mib 3 and international, and worst of all Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice which could contend for one of the worst Hollywood botch jobs of all time. Thor 2 is citizen kane compared to some of that crap.

that final comparison is absolutely apt, although there's a lot of movies that are Citizen Kane compared to RIPD, what a world we live in

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

God whatever they can do to get Sam Rockwell back for more Justin Hammer, they just need to do it.

They really do. I genuinely don't care how or in what form. Have him hassling Spider-Man with mindless mech goons? I'm there. Have his janky-rear end mechs hassle Falcon? I'm there. Have him take over the Forge with Peter Dinklage and bother Thor with custom battlesuits for his goons? gently caress yes. Put him with William Hurt on Thunderbolts where he acts as their bootleg Tony Stark arming everyone? Hell yeah man.

loving anything just loving do it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Thor 2 set up a lot of what made Thor 3 so good, including the seeds of Asgardian Imperialism and that Odin was not nearly as good as dude as he seemed and had sins his sons would have to pay for. I wish it had done a better job with that part.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

My extremely Dark Horse take is that Logan also sucks and was an extremely bad movie but all anyone remembers is BERZERKER RAGE in the last five seconds
My hot take is about Logan and how if you love it but hate The Last Jedi because of Luke's plot then you're a massive wanker because those plotlines are identical, but that's another thread.

My other hot take is that while Thor 3's character and plot work is absolutely stunning, the humor sucks noodles and I've genuinely eaten less ham at a Southern Thanksgiving.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doctor Nutt posted:

I kind of liked Logan but I also felt like it was a bad way for Patrick Stewart's Xavier to go out? Such a dark depressing future, it didn't sit well with me as a proper "canon" X-men title.

have any of the xmen titles really had happy endings

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nikumatic posted:

TDW is better than IM2 by virtue of being a functional narrative where you can actually tell what the main thrust of the plot is halfway through the film. also by virtue of having an actual screenplay that the actors spoke lines from on set instead of having them wander around the set ad-libbing in character and attempting to make a movie out of that in the edit room

shame about Malekith, though, gotta be the single most underwritten villain in a franchise full of underwritten villains. Eccleston's screentime was cut down to just about the bare minimum necessary for the plot to work; I'm not sure he and Thor even have a conversation before the climax

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

have any of the xmen titles really had happy endings

The post credits ending of Dark Phoenix when we realized they weren't going to make more of these

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Geo Fixer posted:

MIB3 was kinda alright, considerably better than the second one at least. The Wolverine had some great moments too, even if it suffered from a lovely ending.

Also whats the deal with people hating Iron Man 3? Are people still upset about the whole Mandarin thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Also whats the deal with people hating Iron Man 3? Are people still upset about the whole Mandarin thing?
I think so which is doubly stupid because Marvel capitulated to them like immediately and did both a one-shot confirming "real" Mandarin exists and he's set to be involved in some form in Shang Chi, despite the original Mandarin being a real poo poo character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sanguinia posted:

Thor 2 set up a lot of what made Thor 3 so good, including the seeds of Asgardian Imperialism and that Odin was not nearly as good as dude as he seemed and had sins his sons would have to pay for. I wish it had done a better job with that part.

I think that's a lot of the effectiveness of the MCU. Even the bad/mediocre entries tend to set up characters and stuff for the better films so none of it feels fully perfunctory or skippable if you're invested.

I think that might be why Iron Man 3 is so polarizing, because it not only doesn't really set anything up going forward but is basically constructed as a finale for the trilogy/character. So like you either dig it on its own merits or don't but there's not that linky feeling the rest of the films have.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's one of the rare MCU movies that felt autuerish. It's a very Shane Black movie, right down to the Christmas setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's a lot of the effectiveness of the MCU. Even the bad/mediocre entries tend to set up characters and stuff for the better films so none of it feels fully perfunctory or skippable if you're invested.

I think that might be why Iron Man 3 is so polarizing, because it not only doesn't really set anything up going forward but is basically constructed as a finale for the trilogy/character. So like you either dig it on its own merits or don't but there's not that linky feeling the rest of the films have.

IM3, and The Incredible Hulk kind of, is the only movie in the MCU you can skip and not lose anything necessary.