Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's a side effect of cramming a bunch of poors into tight quarters. You just gotta roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Cities are shitholes

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Cities are shitholes

This is a popular opinion among the people of Woodbury, Minnesota

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

ive never been to switzerland but i know its terribly expensive compared to all those 3 countries and the food isnt as good as any of those 3 either

i used to chat to a swiss girl online back in 2005 or so and she once got pissed that i wasn't online at the usual time. i wasnt punctual enough so she blocked me

Talk about a Swiss miss

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Travelling to see the world is no longer worthwhile now that the internet exists.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Badactura posted:

This is a popular opinion among the people of Woodbury, Minnesota

Ye olde tamarak road

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

knowing how to use your schlong isnt anywhere near as important as just the brute fact of having a big schlong

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Good thing I've got neither.

Making me the victor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a non-fluent but decent russian speaker and student, it’s way better to just give only the cyrillic. Please stop giving me translitérations

E: also Wayne’s world is from before I was born and it seems extremely unfunny, please stop bombarding me with ads referencing it. Haven’t seen it and don’t plan to

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Mar 24, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i know that wayne's world owns and i havent even seen it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It rules but those ads are depressing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It rules but those ads are depressing

Hey, remember that funny thing from the past? Well it's back, marked by the inexorable passing of time so it serves as a visceral reminder of mortality! To sell you Uber Eats!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Hey, remember that funny thing from the past? Well it's back, marked by the inexorable passing of time so it serves as a visceral reminder of mortality! To sell you Uber Eats!

And couched in a bizarre message of “eat local.” What else am I gonna do, order my food from out of state? Pretend Uber Eats doesn’t also deliver from national chains?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

What else am I gonna do, order my food from out of state?

may i introduce you to a little site called Goldbelly? i hear its all the rages with internet forum staff these days

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a non-fluent but decent russian speaker and student, it’s way better to just give only the cyrillic. Please stop giving me translitérations

Сир, тhис ис а Wенды’с дриве тhроугh.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

i dont get why being exiled to st helena was supposed to be punishment for napoleon. retiring on a tropical island seems like a pretty sweet deal and way less of a hassle than his normal life. i would live on st helena

just want to reiterate this

oh yeah no spending the autumn of your life in this place, far away from "civilization", the only thing to worry about the flowers in your garden, yeah nice punishment lol. napoleon got lucky and was a wuss for complaining

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: also Wayne’s world is from before I was born and it seems extremely unfunny, please stop bombarding me with ads referencing it. Haven’t seen it and don’t plan to

I saw Wayne's World when it came out in 1992 and just thought it was stupid. I still do. It seems to be adored by everyone else my age though (and some who aren't).

I also can't stand Clueless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Telemaze posted:

gently caress you, clueless is a great movie

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Telemaze posted:

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress you, clueless is a great movie

So which of you thinks you have the unpopular opinion here?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clueless is essential as it launched Paul Rudd's career.

edit:
Also this choice bit from Paul Rudd's wikipedia article is intriguing:

wikipedia posted:

Rudd is a fan of music

Being a fan of music myself, I feel like I have a real connection with this guy!

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Mar 24, 2021

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

kupachek posted:

So which of you thinks you have the unpopular opinion here?

Pretty sure it's me, since that's usually the reaction I get. I still ain't going to like it though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Tom Bombadil chapters of Fellowship are good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gandalf ain't poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The man that is most attractive to women, the ideal desirable man in the minds of heterosexual women, is not some super hero actor or some handsome rich guy in an expensive suit. It is M. Emmet Walsh in the movie Blood Simple. The body, the style, the voice, the personality, that is what women want.

Most women won't tell you this, but it's true.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Cities are shitholes

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The only two things I miss about living in the country, is farm fresh eggs, and peeing outside.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aramek posted:

The only two things I miss about living in the country, is farm fresh eggs, and peeing outside.

But pretty much every city’s main smell is “peeing outside”.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The man that is most attractive to women, the ideal desirable man in the minds of heterosexual women, is not some super hero actor or some handsome rich guy in an expensive suit. It is M. Emmet Walsh in the movie Blood Simple. The body, the style, the voice, the personality, that is what women want.

Most women won't tell you this, but it's true.

I thought it was evil Ernest?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I feel quite bad about blanket posting "cities are shitholes" and then getting empty quoted half a dozen times. Plenty people don't choose to live in a city and in fairness I've never actually lived in one, only visited.

There's a lot to like about cities, when I go to Just Eat in my small 8,000 person town I get 2 options, when I want to buy weed it involves an hour and twenty minute round trip, I haven't had a McDonalds since pre-lockdown

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
mcdonalds sucks

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I like living in a city because most goods and services are available very conveniently and public transportation is good. And also because I grew up in an isolated suburban nightmare where only subdivisions and nothing else existed so anything seems like an upgrade really

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Cities are chock full of people and that makes me deeply anxious

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

womb with a view posted:

I like living in a city because most goods and services are available very conveniently and public transportation is good. And also because I grew up in an isolated suburban nightmare where only subdivisions and nothing else existed so anything seems like an upgrade really

Living in a nice area of a city with all of the stuff you mention is great and really convenient, but living in a poor area of a city which doesn’t have a lot of services/shops nearby sucks.

Living in one of those poor areas is the worst of both worlds—it has both the inconveniences of living in a suburb as well as living in a city. I totally get why people who cannot afford the nice areas of a city would want to move into the suburbs—they are way more convenient than the alternative.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Mar 25, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked being dirt poor in the Bronx more than my current situation of being dirt poor in back west Texas tbqh. Although I'm in what passes for a city still, nearly 300k people. Being poor in the boonies would be even worse.

PHUO: you wanna know a bad city? Toronto. It's not the worst, it's actually rather nice, but it's the most aggressively generic and boring place you can imagine. Say what you will about Paris or NYC, they have character.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I thought it was evil Ernest?

He's definitely up there. But I think women's interest in evil Ernest is more purely sexual, whereas their attraction to M. Emmet Walsh in Blood Simple hits everything, he is their ideal sexual, romantic, and life partner.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

AdorableStar posted:

Ye olde tamarak road

I hate that road just like I hate woodbury

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

Cities are chock full of people and that makes me deeply anxious

Me too. I live visiting but after a few days I can't shake the feeling of the endless press of humanity. Never being more than a few feet from a crowd. Bodies stacked like cordwood every time you sleep. Nothing ever resting and sound and sound and sound.

And also the universal piss smell. Also I never see actual human turds except when I'm in a city center.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Me too. I live visiting but after a few days I can't shake the feeling of the endless press of humanity. Never being more than a few feet from a crowd. Bodies stacked like cordwood every time you sleep. Nothing ever resting and sound and sound and sound.

And also the universal piss smell. Also I never see actual human turds except when I'm in a city center.

I have never, ever seen a city like this and I've lived in major multi-million person cities my entire life, and traveled extensively prior to COVID. Is this just another weird goon exaggeration thing?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont mind cities at all even though i didnt grow up in them. i find it extremely relaxing to just walk around a city randomly and see people doing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

winks are underrated. when i meet a familiar someone on the street nowadays i just wink at them. its intimate and low key reassuring at the same time