Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Monthly reminder that the current heir to the Habsburg claims (Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen) is a race car driver with 0 wins.

He seems to be ok driver (at least compared to your average pay-to-race rich idiots). The top few guys usually get almost all of the wins.

Look at me, defending Habsburg honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Monthly reminder that the current heir to the Habsburg claims (Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen) is a race car driver with 0 wins.

Being scion of an abdicated house seems awesome. I’d take his life any day over having to actually be crown prince of somewhere.

E: also imagine if somewhere voted to re-enthroned them and he chose to reign as Keith I

does he drive a Scion?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hawaii what are you doing

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

No Safe Word posted:

killing all the native wildlife of the islands,

e:wait are there only 135 cats in Hawaii? even just feral cats that's not many

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I feel like there must have been spotted more than 605 crocodiles in Florida

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's number of observations, and nobody is bothering. Spend one night in rural-ish Hawaii and you'll know there's way more cats than that.

Similarly there must be more than one Grizzly in Idaho

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Apparently Hawaii's cat problem is really bad.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

No Safe Word posted:

Gators are worryingly close to claiming another state from the black bears, too.

As you can see, their northernmost confirmed habitat is Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, on the south side of the Albemarle Sound. Directly across the Sound is the Elizabeth River, which drains the state-border-straddling Great Dismal Swamp via a drainage canal:

Alligators were once native to the area, although the winters are too cold for their preference and hunting destroyed the population in the 1900s. With protective legislation and a warming climate, all it would take for them to make a return is an expansion in the population just across the border and a few individuals to get adventurous.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

Most of the big angry herps are gators, not crocs. The crocs are just the scariest.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Aside from the cat being a destructive invasive species, Hawaii probably just doesn't have large predators on account of being cut off from everything and as a result having relatively small animal populations that don't support predation sufficiently.

Edit: wait, are there no dogs in Hawaii?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

Only barely.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Only barely.

drat, I didn't realize how large a difference there would be between the US and Canada.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Carthag Tuek posted:

The map says by weight, so clearly there's 135lbs cats in Hawaii and incredibly adorably tiny bears in Idaho, South Dakota, and Kansas.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Crocs are more common in Florida than Gators?

The Gator Motel lied to me!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Pasco posted:

Crocs are more common in Florida than Gators?

The Gator Motel lied to me!

It's talking about physical size, not quantity or amount of kills.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quorum posted:

Gators are worryingly close to claiming another state from the black bears, too.

As you can see, their northernmost confirmed habitat is Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, on the south side of the Albemarle Sound. Directly across the Sound is the Elizabeth River, which drains the state-border-straddling Great Dismal Swamp via a drainage canal:

Alligators were once native to the area, although the winters are too cold for their preference and hunting destroyed the population in the 1900s. With protective legislation and a warming climate, all it would take for them to make a return is an expansion in the population just across the border and a few individuals to get adventurous.
Alternatively, Grover luring them over to start Grover Park.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Only bearly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

No Safe Word posted:

I'm the extremely polite Grizzly bears leaving the mountain lions in nebraska alone

Platystemon posted:

Only barely.

I don't like this color gradient.

Also no brown bears at all

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being scion of an abdicated house seems awesome. I’d take his life any day over having to actually be crown prince of somewhere.

E: also imagine if somewhere voted to re-enthroned them and he chose to reign as Keith I

King Keith

Keith Rex

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wouldn't the vast majority of professional sports players (or sports... whatevers for racing) in competitions with large numbers of competitors and only one winner have zero wins? Like do the majority of professional tennis players also have zero major wins? I mean I played like 100 hours of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I was never the point leader, the best I ever got was second place.

But yeah being a rich noble sounds awesome. Being an actual top-level royal sounds like living hell and I would never trade a middle class lifestyle for being in the immediate family of any royal. I can't even imagine how terrible it would be to have a bunch of paparazzi follow you and publicize and dramatize every second of your life from birth until death and I would not trade a complete and utter loss of anonymity for 100 million dollars. Maybe being a top level royal is OK if you're in like House of Liechtenstein where even in Switzerland no one knows who cares who you are.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm the extremely polite Grizzly bears leaving the mountain lions in nebraska alone

I don't like this color gradient.

Also no brown bears at all

Brown bears are grizzlies.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jehde posted:

What's commonly called a "brown bear" is actually a black bear. At least, here it is. Black bears don't necessarily have to be black.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

no one ever mentions the terrible jizzly bear

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aren't polar bears basically white grizzlies too? Like, if the polar bears went south, they could probably mate?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Aren't polar bears basically white grizzlies too? Like, if the polar bears went south, they could probably mate?
They already do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

You should know that they can mate if only because the offspring has the adorable name of “pizzly bear”.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

And here I thought that was how you get Pandas.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

BonHair posted:

Might blow your mind, but black bears can be white too.

Kermode bears

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PittTheElder posted:

It's number of observations, and nobody is bothering. Spend one night in rural-ish Hawaii and you'll know there's way more cats than that.

its just those 135. they just move really fast

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

You should know that they can mate if only because the offspring has the adorable name of “pizzly bear”.

the penisy bear

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A map full of facts for your consideration.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well that opens with a bang god drat

no i did not look at the url

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jehde posted:

Well I'll be damned. I've been mislead

HookShot posted:

What's commonly called a "brown bear" is actually a black bear. At least, here it is. Black bears don't necessarily have to be black.

Those are cinnamon bears

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there are far too many billionaire candy bar heirs in this country

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chelsesaurusrex/status/1375178587666481154

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there are far too many billionaire candy bar heirs in this country

or not nearly enough

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/prstskrzkrk/status/1375278548273876995?s=21

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

certainly an unconventional interpretation of the two-state solution

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have a solution to this, instead of going trough the south of africa following Portugese trade routes. What If we travel directly to the west? I think the world is actually smaller than people believe and if we travel long enough to the west from Spain, we will be in China in no time at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The portuguese should charge royalties for sailing though the cape of good hope