Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
greetings, fellow leftists. i'm here to tell you that communism is, in fact, bad! what's the matter, too radical and counter-hegemonic for you? you certainly won't find THIS take oozing out of mainstream culture's every pore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Stalin’s USSR, known for failing at..???

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

indigi posted:

Stalin’s USSR, known for failing at..???

Holding the Stalin Line in 1941

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

I know this language is intentionally weaselly, and it doesn't really matter, but is there more than one superpower? I'm not convinced China or Russia could project power in a manner like the US (yet, in China's case).

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

The Soviet Union was never really on the same level as the US either resource-wise, so I think if you take superpower to mean "leader of a bloc of countries" China is definitely emerging as/is already one, especially with that new "Group of Friends" poo poo and all that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

conventional military power no, but soft power? China projects it all over the world and Russia holds energetics in many countries by the short hairs. Also nukes diminish the gap from conventional military. China is definitely a modern superpower, russia less so

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bold move of this guy to adopt Mao's Horizontal Line strategy to oppose the danger of Soviet revisionism

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
communism but, get this, the state ... is bad!! :twisted:

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

One thing that I've been interested in but have never been able to find is an account of the development of neoclassical economics as an ideological project to provide cover for capitalism. Does anyone here have something like that that they can share?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

communism but, get this, the state ... is bad!! :twisted:

what the hell, dude!!! how could you do such a thing :gonk:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Xinjiang mod feedback thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963156

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doctor Nick posted:

One thing that I've been interested in but have never been able to find is an account of the development of neoclassical economics as an ideological project to provide cover for capitalism. Does anyone here have something like that that they can share?

can talk hours about this since I am an econ drop-out

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

now that the mods are pro genocide denial, perhaps we can talk reparations. I’m owed 7 days of poo poo posts

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Rated PG-34 posted:

now that the mods are pro genocide denial, perhaps we can talk reparations. I’m owed 7 days of poo poo posts

jesus i'm doing my best dude

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

These weirdos have legit done more to radicalize me than any advocacy or rehabilitation of Stalin, Mao, or the CCP ever could

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Deified Data posted:

These weirdos have legit done more to radicalize me than any advocacy or rehabilitation of Stalin, Mao, or the CCP ever could

100%. in 2014 before coming into contact with Anarchist Twitter I’d have been the first in line to bring up the holodomor or Molotov-Ribbentrop or Tibet or whatever whatever. Anglo anarchists are their own worst propaganda

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Stalin should have forced daladier to abide by the Franco-soviet treaty and solved the Hitler problem in ‘38

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Stalin should have forced daladier to abide by the Franco-soviet treaty and solved the Hitler problem in ‘38

I don’t think this would have worked from either a political or a military standpoint. the French weren’t ready and the Soviets definitely weren’t ready, especially considering they’d have to march through hostile countries just to engage Germans

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah but there’s just enough pieces in place to make it a wonderful what-if of history

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was wondering the other day about what would have happened if Japan attacked Russia instead of the US in 41. could the Soviets have held out?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd say yes though it would have been atrocious.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

I was wondering the other day about what would have happened if Japan attacked Russia instead of the US in 41. could the Soviets have held out?

Japan fared poorly during the border conflict, and even relatively modest numbers of Soviet armor would have given them a problem. They still may have cut off Vladivostok, but the IJA wasn’t in the shape even in 41 to go far in land. Also, Manchuko forces would have been completely useless. Also, remember the Battle of Moscow was happening as the Japan was already moving across SE Asia and didn’t have serious other reserves on hand.

Basically, the Soviets had kept enough forces around that it would have been painful for Japan to accomplish much given what they had in the area.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Stalin was too busy having his brain owning itself into a spongy liquid, however

if we’re going to dunk on Trotsky, Joey is gonna have it too. relentless self critique after all etc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Stalin was too busy having his brain owning itself into a spongy liquid, however

if we’re going to dunk on Trotsky, Joey is gonna have it too. relentless self critique after all etc

was he having stroke problems as earlier as the mid-30s? i thought it was only towards the end of his life

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Victory Position posted:

what the hell, dude!!! how could you do such a thing :gonk:

this is just the beginning :yeshaha:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

indigi posted:

There are a lot of other questions around this, but probably yes.

There had been a short undeclared war in 1939 around the Khalkhin Gol watershed that Japan lost fairly decisively after enjoying the initiative (and interestingly for the later war, it provided Zhukov's chance to take over operational command and work his way back into Stalin's good graces while proving his ideas about armor and land-air operations would work.) So given that '41 means the USSR still able to focus fully and China having turned from a stalemate to a looming catastrophe for Japan, it's hard to see the initial fighting being more successful.

Japanese domestic politics were not in favor of a serious effort against the Soviet Union; the Fascist/autarkhic settler/northern-facing faction, while still popular among junior Army officers, had played its hand too early in attempting the 2.26 coup in 1936 and its leaders were purged or kept in the settlements, while the right-liberal/modern Anglo-style colonialism/southern-facing faction with support among the Navy, Army top brass, and capital viewed the US and UK as more serious threats, China as a juicier opportunity, and specifically a war in China with its infrastructure able to sustain coordinated operations as a way to ease the Army back into following orders from Tokyo rather than acting as the autonomous junta of the settlements.
Further, while Pearl Harbor was the southern-facing faction's attempt to solve the sudden steel and oil crunch caused by the US embargo and have any hope of breaking the decaying stalemate in China, and securing and developing Manchuria was the northern-facing faction's answer to the same question, the preceding political control by the southern-facing faction made a volte-face materally impossible; that is, the attempt at a two-front war was only possible because there was a strong Navy sitting idle which could be used in a primarily naval war, and those sailors and ships don't turn into infantrymen and rifles at anywhere near the rate necessary to take on another great power within the 5 years from a successful putsch in '36, never mind as a reaction to the situation in '41.

Finally, there's the isolated, desolate nature of Kamchatka and Irkutsk to begin with. Even assuming a push from the east as effective and rapid as a push from the west, Japan has longer to go, through territory where the only functional roads and tracks are a single railway the Soviets can pull up as they fall back, to reach the Ural/Siberian redoubt than the Germans do, and their advance captures a whole lot of nothing that's impossible to keep supplied without control of the Trans-Siberian rather than whatever industry and population couldn't be evacuated. Each city that falls after Vladivostok is a small trading post or labor camp with no notable history to the ethnic Russians, rather than the political fallout in a western fallback to the Urals of essentially becoming a French-style free government in the former colonies.

You could write a situation in which the USSR goes all-in on the far eastern front, puts all of its own eggs in that supremely unfavorable basket, and can't react in time to Barbarossa, but given that their planning for the west involved sacrificing even Moscow if necessary it's hard to consider either a plausible choice or a fatal one outside the hands of a mapgame AI.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s cool to know

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was he having stroke problems as earlier as the mid-30s? i thought it was only towards the end of his life

note: I got carried out writing this, wanted to do a jokepost and became an effortpost

not the strokes themselves yet

powerhungry ambitious leader but pathologically depressive paranoiac goes into a critical succession dispute that was not expected at the time, does stuff like renaming the Petrograd into Leningrad hoping to earn his support and becomes devastated when he learns that Lenin got ridiculously loving mad at him

Nadezhda (Krupskaia), Lenin's wife, tells to Stalin's face "holy gently caress you really thought you wouldn't offend him, are you really a bolshevik?" and this rattles the gently caress out of him. This is where Stalin really starts to become aggressive and hard to deal with. Then he goes and tries to rectify the problem with the Big Man himself by helping organize honors to him. Of course, big loving mistake, because he was a dumbass when it came to read a room since ever. When he gets the opportunity to visit, Lenin goes "what the gently caress you are doing to me you loving rear end in a top hat, did you forget what the gently caress this communist thing we are doing is all about" and this devastates him even more (because fwiw he genuinely cared about Lenin); Stalin has his first meltdown as leader here because he knows for sure that Lenin was against him at the helm and starts to strongly discourage important people to visit Lenin - above all anyone inclined to agree with Trotsky.

Then Lenin dies and Nadezhda tells Stalin to basically gently caress himself forever (because of the ridiculous over-the-top ceremonialism) while telling about his testament, which basically is his worst fears confirmed that Lenin not only favored Trotsky, but wanted him off the position of chairman. Second meltdown, he goes full "BUT BROTHER ALL I DID WAS LOVE YOU WHY OH GOD WHY I AM THIS AWFUL ALL OF YOU FUCKS POISONED MY BEAUTIFUL FRIEND FOR THIS SLANDER HE WOULD NEVER DO ANY OF THIS TO ME WHY OH GOD THE EVIL" and obviously does a loving lot more to justify that Lenin was right all along (as always)

it is important to notice that everyone around him way before this was concerned with his mental well-being and repeatedly pointing out that "Hey Joe you are saying and doing ever increasingly dumbass things, what the gently caress is going on with you". Stalin began to drink more and more, which as you all know, makes things better (play Disco Elysium if you are not sure). Like, the sharp political economist from 1920-1 is halfway gone by 24, and by 1928 is pretty much entirely hosed up. Family didn't want to be with him, he kept pushing friends and trustworthy people aside, argued constantly, started pushing petty politics just to antagonize people he didn't like and didn't believe that his brilliant ideas were doing a loving colossal degree of collateral damage; when he deigned himself to personally evaluate the dumbassery involved, he would blame the officials responsible for the implementation, saying that they were the ones in fault. So it went, worse and worse.

Then Nadezhda (Alliluyeva), his wife, shot herself in 1932.

I think historians understate how loving dramatic this was, and especially leftist historians (no big man of history after all). Her suicide utterly destroyed him. In this critical juncture of time, the leader of the revolutionary state, the one most naturally inclined to fight the rising threat of fascism, became a complete and utter alcoholic, paranoiac-depressive mess. Not even his sons he trusted or gave a drat about anymore, the only person that could ever mollify him was his daughter, Svetlana. IIRC, soon after that, he would start showing signs of neuronal damage (those kind of mini-strokes).

when reading from this angle, I can't help but feel some weird, strange sort of pity about the personal individual himself, like reading the tragedy of a Roman emperor, because there are way too many similarities to someone like Tiberius or Domitian to not make the comparison. Their self-owns making a feedback loop that makes them more sullen, gloomy, paranoid and worse to deal with, then self-owning them harder because they are in this position of authority and use it in backlash against those who point out that you are making poo poo worse, repeat

but he was absolutely loving right about Bukharin and dear god he should've owned that idiot harder

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

to be fair to Stalin while the Leningrad thing might have been going too far I do think it’s important on a human/community-building level to elevate some things for people to rally around and take pride in, and Lenin was as good of one as any. a giant ceremonial state funeral was also probably helpful for the new revolutionary state to process their grief and feel more strongly bonded together

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
my understanding is that the late-term tension between lenin and stalin came from lenin's doctors ordering lenin to stay out of politics after his stroke, and lenin trying to get access to newspapers and stuff anyway against the doctor's orders. stalin got really mad at lenin's wife for effectively smuggling documents to lenin's sickbed, and then lenin in turn got really mad at stalin for yelling at her about it. there's a letter after that in which lenin says that stalin either apologizes to him and his wife about it or their friendship is over. the secret testament stuff is way overblown and if you read it you see that it says something like "the party should be led by someone exactly like stalin, except nicer, because he's so dang mean"

there's a lot of historical stories about stalin's supposed psychoses and derangements, like it's claimed in kruschev's speech that stalin just fell into a depressive funk and dropped completely out of sight for a straight week after the nazis attack, which are just bullshit

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

can talk hours about this since I am an econ drop-out

Well, if you ever feel like posting about it, I'd love to read it

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I would as well.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

there's a lot of historical stories about stalin's supposed psychoses and derangements, like it's claimed in kruschev's speech that stalin just fell into a depressive funk and dropped completely out of sight for a straight week after the nazis attack, which are just bullshit

minor correction for the sake of pertinency: he wasn't psychotic, he was paranoiac-depressive, those things are rather different and important to establish if we are going to take the measure of the man by himself. And yes, whoever claimed stalin was psychotic was way off

most of the stuff I am talking about comes from correspondence and diaries of associates, friends and family (besides the stuff he wrote for himself of course). Vasily and Svetlana's testimonials and considerations quite endorse that condition; then there's stuff like how Stalin had extensively written about how loving much he despised Yakov, then he killed himself at the concentration camp and even so took a good loving while after the war to reconsider how he treated his firstborn

about Lenin's testament, I think that this is one of those funny as gently caress (at least to me) situations where there's real motive and reasoning in Stalin's dumbassery but the implications are so loving bad that you can't help but be called a "revisionist" by pointing out how loving dumbass and idiotic all of it was. Stalin did take direct charge to make it look palatable as possible and did deny Nadezhda any opportunity to address the party in congress and, besides, since she supported Trotsky, there's credence to Kaganovich's later testimony that he did order the poisoning of Lenin's wife, which dear loving god lmao at this complete mess of a human being

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doctor Nick posted:

Well, if you ever feel like posting about it, I'd love to read it

Greg Legg posted:

I would as well.

alright, gonna brush up some stuff tomorrow and scribble a Thing

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely file me as someone curious to hear your perspective. Also; did you still believe in the system / neoliberalism when you went into econ and if so what was your ahha moment?

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

note: I got carried out writing this, wanted to do a jokepost and became an effortpost

not the strokes themselves yet

powerhungry ambitious leader but pathologically depressive paranoiac goes into a critical succession dispute that was not expected at the time, does stuff like renaming the Petrograd into Leningrad hoping to earn his support and becomes devastated when he learns that Lenin got ridiculously loving mad at him

Nadezhda (Krupskaia), Lenin's wife, tells to Stalin's face "holy gently caress you really thought you wouldn't offend him, are you really a bolshevik?" and this rattles the gently caress out of him. This is where Stalin really starts to become aggressive and hard to deal with. Then he goes and tries to rectify the problem with the Big Man himself by helping organize honors to him. Of course, big loving mistake, because he was a dumbass when it came to read a room since ever. When he gets the opportunity to visit, Lenin goes "what the gently caress you are doing to me you loving rear end in a top hat, did you forget what the gently caress this communist thing we are doing is all about" and this devastates him even more (because fwiw he genuinely cared about Lenin); Stalin has his first meltdown as leader here because he knows for sure that Lenin was against him at the helm and starts to strongly discourage important people to visit Lenin - above all anyone inclined to agree with Trotsky.

Then Lenin dies and Nadezhda tells Stalin to basically gently caress himself forever (because of the ridiculous over-the-top ceremonialism) while telling about his testament, which basically is his worst fears confirmed that Lenin not only favored Trotsky, but wanted him off the position of chairman. Second meltdown, he goes full "BUT BROTHER ALL I DID WAS LOVE YOU WHY OH GOD WHY I AM THIS AWFUL ALL OF YOU FUCKS POISONED MY BEAUTIFUL FRIEND FOR THIS SLANDER HE WOULD NEVER DO ANY OF THIS TO ME WHY OH GOD THE EVIL" and obviously does a loving lot more to justify that Lenin was right all along (as always)

it is important to notice that everyone around him way before this was concerned with his mental well-being and repeatedly pointing out that "Hey Joe you are saying and doing ever increasingly dumbass things, what the gently caress is going on with you". Stalin began to drink more and more, which as you all know, makes things better (play Disco Elysium if you are not sure). Like, the sharp political economist from 1920-1 is halfway gone by 24, and by 1928 is pretty much entirely hosed up. Family didn't want to be with him, he kept pushing friends and trustworthy people aside, argued constantly, started pushing petty politics just to antagonize people he didn't like and didn't believe that his brilliant ideas were doing a loving colossal degree of collateral damage; when he deigned himself to personally evaluate the dumbassery involved, he would blame the officials responsible for the implementation, saying that they were the ones in fault. So it went, worse and worse.

Then Nadezhda (Alliluyeva), his wife, shot herself in 1932.

I think historians understate how loving dramatic this was, and especially leftist historians (no big man of history after all). Her suicide utterly destroyed him. In this critical juncture of time, the leader of the revolutionary state, the one most naturally inclined to fight the rising threat of fascism, became a complete and utter alcoholic, paranoiac-depressive mess. Not even his sons he trusted or gave a drat about anymore, the only person that could ever mollify him was his daughter, Svetlana. IIRC, soon after that, he would start showing signs of neuronal damage (those kind of mini-strokes).

when reading from this angle, I can't help but feel some weird, strange sort of pity about the personal individual himself, like reading the tragedy of a Roman emperor, because there are way too many similarities to someone like Tiberius or Domitian to not make the comparison. Their self-owns making a feedback loop that makes them more sullen, gloomy, paranoid and worse to deal with, then self-owning them harder because they are in this position of authority and use it in backlash against those who point out that you are making poo poo worse, repeat

but he was absolutely loving right about Bukharin and dear god he should've owned that idiot harder

stfu jfc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
need this bozo in jail

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1375134263843115010?s=21

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

100 Million in 100 Days, just not in the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy