Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Let's get some Thunder Rosa v Britt Baker hot takes from the less talked about cesspool in wrestling, youtube commentators.

quote:

Jose Hernandez
2 days ago
I don’t understand why everyone likes this match when they can’t even perform anything else but suplex after suplex after suplex

Ted Maul
2 days ago
They did wrestled too quickly, didn't saviour the moments, barely sold and were sloppy as gently caress.

quote:

Eric L B
2 days ago
Another grabage hardcore match. They did nothing new, i have seen all those moves done a million times, just cause it women you people think it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

quote:

Dylan Smith
3 days ago
This was absolutely retarded and unnecessary. Why is this company deadest on killing Brit Baker? The one star they MIGHT have left after the horrendous booking these ladies have received

quote:

KW Music
4 days ago
Ladders and tables and thumbtacks were cool back in the 90's, but they've been done so often that they really have no impact anymore.

quote:

Steve McCullagh
Steve McCullagh
4 days ago
Garbage, in every sense of the word.

And my personal favourite, the one who is trying to make an intellectual critique and manages to get everything wrong:

quote:

Makainternational
Makainternational
2 days ago
I was a bit disappointed with the actual bumps though. The bump from the rope to the ladder clearly showed Thunder land on her feet then pop Britt on the ladder. Landing on the chairs was the best bump. The powerbomb on the thumb tacks was also weak. Everything was too carefully executed. I am guessing they had blood capsules for the blood and it wasn’t blading. Overall, not as good as I was expecting and no real sick bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“barely sold”

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I keep running into this one guy who absolutely insists that the only reason people like the match is because "Britt busted open hardway."

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Pylons posted:

I keep running into this one guy who absolutely insists that the only reason people like the match is because "Britt busted open hardway."

people apparently missed the solid minute of unnatural camerawork during both bladejobs that were a dead giveaway that someone was blading and they didn't want you to see them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

people apparently missed the solid minute of unnatural camerawork during both bladejobs that were a dead giveaway that someone was blading and they didn't want you to see them

Everyone was too transfixed by Rosa's look of utter insanity while Britt was gigging to notice

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wait, Britt vs Rosa was just suplex after suplex? Maybe I need to watch it after all because that sounds cool as hell

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, Britt vs Rosa was just suplex after suplex? Maybe I need to watch it after all because that sounds cool as hell

It's good, I'm not as big on AEW stuff as most yet...it's very good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Lid posted:

quote:

Jose Hernandez
2 days ago
I don’t understand why everyone likes this match when they can’t even perform anything else but suplex after suplex after suplex

I will put money down that this person did not make the same complaint when watching matches featuring Benoit, Eddy, or Angle (or maybe even Taz)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I would absolutely watch a deathmatch that was nothing but suplexes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lamuella posted:

I would absolutely watch a deathmatch that was nothing but suplexes.

Pretty sure this was Samoa Joe against Necro Butcher and yes it was

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I will put money down that this person did not make the same complaint when watching matches featuring Benoit, Eddy, or Angle (or maybe even Taz)

Or Lesnar?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lid posted:

I can't make it through this match. The commentary is way too much.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Lid posted:

there was also a power slam!

or at least half of one

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not so much a bad take as a funny one, but I saw this in a Youtube livestream.

I thought Daniel Bryan was the only farm. Turns out Team Hell No was a farm all along.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/BonafideHeat/status/1374740120637689863

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Isn’t wrestling history literally full of racist promoters who still had the business sense to push PoC when it would make them money? Like this isn’t even a unique Vince thing at all right

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

jesus WEP posted:

Isn’t wrestling history literally full of racist promoters who still had the business sense to push PoC when it would make them money? Like this isn’t even a unique Vince thing at all right

Plus it's still hella racist to have the POC nearly exclusively working with other POC.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Testekill posted:

Plus it's still hella racist to have the POC nearly exclusively working with other POC.
That’s been true for much of the last year for sure but not right now. Roman’s feuding with Edge/Bryan, New Day with AJ Styles, Lashley with Drew, Asuka with Charlotte Rhea

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

jesus WEP posted:

That’s been true for much of the last year for sure but not right now. Roman’s feuding with Edge/Bryan, New Day with AJ Styles, Lashley with Drew, Asuka with Charlotte Rhea

It's not happening at the moment (probably because Wrestlemania season) that's correct but it's been happening for years now.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

jesus WEP posted:

Isn’t wrestling history literally full of racist promoters who still had the business sense to push PoC when it would make them money?

*insert Bill Watts pic here*

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mike is my favorite reply guy. Sorry to my other reply guys.

https://twitter.com/Michael45749369/status/1374937078669193217

https://twitter.com/Michael45749369/status/1374923631059464192

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jesus WEP posted:

Jinder Mahal's entire title run was specifically to appeal to a surge in the Indian media market. So was Khali's.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

sticklefifer posted:

Not so much a bad take as a funny one, but I saw this in a Youtube livestream.

I thought Daniel Bryan was the only farm. Turns out Team Hell No was a farm all along.

The Lore of the Farm.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you inpatient fuks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I prefer my wrestling on an outpatient basis

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

I think it's mostly just Bill Watts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I think it's mostly just Bill Watts.

Yeah when Russo did it they just wanted to deflect from lawsuits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah when Russo did it they just wanted to deflect from lawsuits.

The only other examples I can think of were Eddie and Rey who did not have the most, uh, sterling of title reigns. Rey especially. Good lord.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Didn't Eddie have a meltdown of sorts when his title reign wasn't immediately a smashing success?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't Eddie have a meltdown of sorts when his title reign wasn't immediately a smashing success?

The story I remember isn't so much a meltdown but more that he knew the gates were down and so were the buy rates and he was extremely stressed out, and it partly lead to him dropping the title

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah he was demanding way too much of himself and punishing himself for the drop in viewers and it was really bad for his mental health

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno much about this story but I would probably assume Eddie blamed himself for falling ratings, gates, buys, whatever because people backstage were telling him to his face that it was his fault.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MJeff posted:

I dunno much about this story but I would probably assume Eddie blamed himself for falling ratings, gates, buys, whatever because people backstage were telling him to his face that it was his fault.

That's quite possible but given how ingrained wrestling is in his family's history and that Gory was involved in NWA Hollywood and World Class as a promoter and booker, I'd bet Eddie knew just how important it was to have champ who drew

Someone should write a book about the Guerrero family

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I’m sure none of that had to do with feuding with loving JBL.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's quite possible but given how ingrained wrestling is in his family's history and that Gory was involved in NWA Hollywood and World Class as a promoter and booker, I'd bet Eddie knew just how important it was to have champ who drew

Someone should write a book about the Guerrero family

At least we have Beat The Champ from The Mountain Goats.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I’m sure none of that had to do with feuding with loving JBL.

Wasn't this basically his whole reign, just ~3 months? I'm a little hazy but he beat Lesnar right before Mania, and transitioned straight from Angle to JBL

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jackie D posted:

Wasn't this basically his whole reign, just ~3 months? I'm a little hazy but he beat Lesnar right before Mania, and transitioned straight from Angle to JBL

The Angle part of the reign took up a chunk. I think Kurt got at least one rematch, and he helped JBL retain the belt in a cage match

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Eddie's reign:

No Way Out 2004: wins the belt from Brock
Wrestlemania XX: retains against Angle
Judgment Day 2004: retains against JBL in that match with the gnarly bladejob
Great American Bash 2004: drops the belt to JBL in a strap match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here are all of Eddie's title matches per Cagematch:

(obviously attendance/buys are estimates)

2/15/04 No Way Out: Beats Brock Lesnar for the belt (attendance 11,000, 350,000 buys)

2/17 Smackdown: Eddie vs. Chavo Guerrero goes to No Contest (first TV with Eddie as champ, attendance 3,000, rating 3.5)

3/14 WrestleMania 20: Eddie beats Kurt Angle (not the main event so I won't count attendance or buys for/against him)

3/16 Smackdown: Eddie beats Rey Mysterio (post-Mania TV, attendance 6,000, rating 3.6)

3/22 Raw: Eddie vs. Triple H ends by DQ (draft episode built around cross-brand matches, attendance 12,000, rating 4.5)

3/23 Smackdown: Eddie vs. Booker T ends by DQ (post-draft, notable for JBL's SD debut, attendance 4,000, rating 3.3)

5/16 Judgment Day: Eddie vs. JBL ends by DQ (the famous bloody match with the deep blading, attendance 18,722, 235,000 buys)

6/27 Great American Bash: JBL beats Eddie in Texas Bull Rope match (universally panned show with an overbooked title change, starting JBL's reign of terror, attendance 6,500, 238,000 buys)

He would later lose a rematch to JBL on SD and get shuffled out of the title picture

Out of seven title matches, just two had a clean finish (and of course Rey was one of them) and none of them were on PPV. His PPV main events did middling numbers but were about on par for Smackdown shows at the time. They tried to protect him a little by not pinning him to lose the title, but that match ended up helping nobody. The matches were good but rarely great, with the exception of the Judgement Day bloodbath. Eddie was very much leaning on schtick and charisma more than great matches at this point in his career.

So yeah, not a great reign, but it could've been a lot better if the booking got behind him instead of making it look like a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/mdatlz/has_charlotte_flair_already_surpassed_her_fathers/

live report of my real life reaction just reading the title:

ahahahahahahahhaha hahahahahahaahahah ahahahaha *choke* ahahahahahaha