Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was red so it signalled Wilford was in charge I believe, you know the red lanterns and all.

Fun little question.

Who else might Wilford have in the drawers? Even before the train actually left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Last Call posted:

Because break men can't be out too long, even with suits. Travelling the full length of Snowpiercer and the trains to Big Alice is quite the journey, a journey moving at full speed, with freezing snow and ice. We saw what condition Icy Bob was in when he made it back and it looked like he barely made it happen. It's why they were increasing his tolerance to the outside. No ordinary person could do it, they probably wouldn't make it a third of the way. Remember you got to kinda climb atop the train like the sole breakman did during this episode.

I dunno, Mel didn't seem to have a problem wearing the suit for long periods of time and walking/working in it. At least they could have given Bob a little bit more clothing. Give the poor man a beanie ffs, it doesn't cost the world

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiteski posted:

I might have missed something, but what was the relevance of the flare that Layton fired right at the end before waking up?

He told his council that if things somehow went wrong in the engine he'd send a flare to let them know.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Layton looking absolutely broken, bathed in the red emergency light was just a depressing moment. The LJ/Oz stuff is interesting - it feels like they've transitioned to more comedy relief characters without being too nerfed as potential threats later on.

Icy Bob :ohdear:
Actually most of the characters are in :ohdear: mode now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was legit surprised that LJ didn’t have an angle or didn’t go chaotic evil at the end there. Not a bad thing, it would have been kind of boring/expected if she had.

It’s still weird that the dick-chopping psycho former rich kid is the one to find fulfillment and purpose in being working class.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The only thing I find super jarring about this show is that bored posh serial killer girl, who preyed on third class men, and who got caught and sentenced to death before getting a deeply unpopular eleventh hour reprieve, not only survived the revolution but went on to become a comedy relief character who pals about with the same guys in second and third class who literally and justifiably wanted her dead a few episodes back on account of the whole being a legit serial killer thing??

She seems mostly superfluous ro requirements now so I have no idea why you don't kill her off instead, or if you really want to keep her around as a character for whatever reason at least make her arc remotely believable.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Her psychopathic nature was nurtured by her awful parents. Sever the parents and a young character can change. Put the character in the worst position possible on the train (do recall that janitorial duties were often filled by the Tailies) and people can view that as a fitting punishment as the only alternatives are cryogenic sleep or... well... nothing. There is no capital punishment on Snowpiercer and the brig is only a detention center, not a prison. There really isn't a worse punishment for her to go through. Not to mention that despite her awful nature, some people felt pity that a young girl had her parents killed. Plus people had their fun when they took over her room.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

I dunno, Mel didn't seem to have a problem wearing the suit for long periods of time and walking/working in it. At least they could have given Bob a little bit more clothing. Give the poor man a beanie ffs, it doesn't cost the world

Mel wasn't standing atop a roaring train.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DaveKap posted:

Her psychopathic nature was nurtured by her awful parents. Sever the parents and a young character can change. Put the character in the worst position possible on the train (do recall that janitorial duties were often filled by the Tailies) and people can view that as a fitting punishment as the only alternatives are cryogenic sleep or... well... nothing. There is no capital punishment on Snowpiercer and the brig is only a detention center, not a prison. There really isn't a worse punishment for her to go through. Not to mention that despite her awful nature, some people felt pity that a young girl had her parents killed. Plus people had their fun when they took over her room.

There is capital punishment in rare cases, we've seen it. And the she was sentenced to death. Also this isn't being a bit of a tearaway, it's literal serial killing! There is just no way the girl who symbolises just how nakedly first despised the lower classes becomes accepted and integrated into the general population a few weeks after a violent revolution sparked in large part because of anger at the outcome of her own trial! You could perhaps have done a much longer redemption arc but this just feels weird.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

She cut off dicks for fun.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

let he who has not murdered people and mutilated their corpses throw the first stone.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

She also had help and (sort of) encouragement from Erik. I also thought she had motive but in looking it all up (since I forget some of the details) it's comical how much this show has thrown off the need to know what the secret of the drawers is when it's the primary reason Mel commutes LJ's sentence. I'll be real curious to see if the drawers play into Wilford's New Train Order somehow.

But yes, you're not wrong. She really doesn't deserve such a fast redemption arc as a psychopathic serial killer just because she's an 18 year old girl. But... I also don't really care so long as she stays as inconsequential as she seems to be. If she's ever given any kind of responsibility past mopping poop water, someone's head isn't screwed on very tight.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol when Wilford ends up putting her in charge of materiel management for the jackboots or something equally loving stupid

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
There's a 50/50 chance Wilford will absolutely love her , or kill her for being as unhinged as he is and therefore a threat.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The idea that somebody or multiple somebodies haven't shanked her is just bafflingly stupid. I mean, really? The last guy she murdered and mutilated even had a whole polygamy thing going on, they don't want revenge?

Likewise, I don't like the idiot ball given to Layton this season. It was bad before in my opinion but after this last episode...you have TWO murderers who have eagerly confessed in custody AND the last remaining breachman (who also is like everyone's favorite person on the train) on your side and you're not even making the case to the people that Wilford is a monster? Come on.

I get that the people in the train are brainwashed super-trauma victims looking for their Train God to save them but you could at the very least try to get a majority on your side.

Also if Icy Bob is dead for good... :(

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 24, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why was there no episode this week?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

NCAA. Double episode finale next week.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

GreenNight posted:

NCAA. Double episode finale next week.

Why the literal gently caress do I not get to watch snowpeircer yesterday/today because there's some goddamn basketball on a different continent? what was netflix thinking?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well it's a TNT show. Netflix just airs it outside of the US. TNT has basketball.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Well it's a TNT show. Netflix just airs it outside of the US. TNT has basketball.

no poo poo? well, you learn something new every day apparently, cheers

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wild speculation time!

Maybe this series will end with Snowpiercer too badly damaged, and they have to merge with another train, or an outpost, and the conflict next season comes from the characters trying to adapt to a new environment (like in the comic), and having to live under a new regime, where even the previous top brass of the train don't have much say - basically everyone from Snowpiercer is lumped together and becomes the equivalent of third class/the tail in this new setting.

It'd be interesting to see Wilford reduced to "just another guy in the crowd", who has to climb the ladder, after all his effort to take the train.

Just wild guessing on my half. If not, there's 2000 people on the train, plenty of excuses to introduce new characters that way still.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The finale is called Into the White which had me thinking along similar lines.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It feels really hokey to end season 2 the same way season 1 ended, though. I'm not against it, it's just feels uninspired due to to seasonal cadence of the show.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I've been wondering what Wilford will do that's so bad enough that eventually the train will turn on him.

Guessing a series of events will start happening, he'll try to put a stop to it and his heavy handed ways backfire after people realize, holy poo poo, this guy is loving mad.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OldMemes posted:

Wild speculation time!

Maybe this series will end with Snowpiercer too badly damaged, and they have to merge with another train, or an outpost, and the conflict next season comes from the characters trying to adapt to a new environment (like in the comic), and having to live under a new regime, where even the previous top brass of the train don't have much say - basically everyone from Snowpiercer is lumped together and becomes the equivalent of third class/the tail in this new setting.

It'd be interesting to see Wilford reduced to "just another guy in the crowd", who has to climb the ladder, after all his effort to take the train.

Just wild guessing on my half. If not, there's 2000 people on the train, plenty of excuses to introduce new characters that way still.

That sounds frighteningly like The Walking Dead so no offense but I hope not.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Since they showed the boarding of the train recently. It has me wondering, what happened to all the guards with the guns?

It showed them still shooting people while the train was leaving. I'm pretty sure if it's the end of the world, the people with guns wouldn't let themselves be left behind

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It was an unplanned disembarking. Wilford wasn't in either. I guess the guys with guns probably made it to Alice?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Remember the train had its own armed security forces (the Jackboots) that were basically the only people allowed to have guns on the train.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Brakemen are the 'civilian' police force, and they're the de-facto peacekeepers in Layton's regime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They had all the guns thrown from the train, they mentioned it a few episodes ago during the flashback.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just watched episode 9. I was surprised to see it was already available on YouTube TV, so everyone should check to see if it's up anywhere else.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's not on Netflix yet

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

They had all the guns thrown from the train, they mentioned it a few episodes ago during the flashback.

Except for a few Jackboots in season one but even then they mostly used riot sticks.

Would not be surprised if Big Alice has a handful of guns under Wilford's control.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
huh.. Didn't realise the actress playing Till was Sting's daughter.

Enjoying the show, though it suffers from the same issues all TV adaptations have. I hope the next season stays on the train. I would have preferred this show to be a prequel leading up to the events of the film, maybe the start of the trains departure and the slow deterioration of morale leading to the tough decisions that they briefly alluded to with flashbacks in the first season.

The characters in the movie were bizarre and like something out of the original Bioshock. Would have liked to see Ruth devolve into the perfectly despicable Tilda Swinton portrayal over time. Really didn't like her dumb redemption arc.

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2021

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I suddenly got a hankering for some baby ribs.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just binge watched every ep of this, good poo poo, I do wish Audrey would stop doing covers of music I like, though her rendition of glory box was pretty alright.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh man that was a bittersweet ending :smith:

Also if you didn't stick around for the post-credits, season 3's confirmed in production

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
LET'S GO MAKE COUP :ussr:

10/10 would watch Bess clock Audrey in the mouth again

Also "The Golden Age of Piracy" was in Wilford's room last ep, so I hope for some hot-roddin' 10-car train piracy hijinks next season.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 30, 2021

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So at least parts of the last episode was filmed after COVID. Couldn't help but think that Wilford's taunt at Layton's (lack of army) was an explicit reference.

I'm gonna assume in a pre-covid world we would have seen more of the secondary characters and where the ended up. Hard to believe that Wilford would have allowed someone like Pike to remain (with appendages intact) when he was so brutal to the Breachmen murderers.

It would be a shame if that's the end of Melanie Caville. It doesn't feel like an appropriate ending for her. I wonder if there was supposed to be a more explicit answer for her outcome originally, but they couldn't get jennifer connelly to stay in quarantine for a few weeks before filming her final scenes.

We know that the geothermal vent at the very least has enough heat to let mammals survive. There's no reason why she couldn't have kept the harddrive in a box within that cave. Just leave some notes/arrows pointing at the entrance.

They've allowed that certain spots on Earth are warming. Is it possible for them to find a bunker within those spots to meet new survivors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
In regards to Melanie (possible spoiler for S3)
Jennifer Connelly is signed on for season 3. It's possible she'll only be in flashbacks though.