Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

When I bought my r1250r, it felt completely unstallable. Then I tried to take off fully loaded with luggage uphill into an intersection, and stalled because I was used to not caring. School bike was a Honda Hornet, so I ought to have learned better from the very start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Verman posted:

I thought covid would drop prices on luxury vehicles sure to people being out of work and it did the exact opposite. They became hot commodities. Used bike prices have easily doubled here in the northwest, especially dirt bikes. I'm very happy I got my bike when I did.

I thought the same thing with home prices in my area and boy was I wrong about that

*edit*
apologies for linking to ZH but this is for slavvy

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1374395960005066764?s=20

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Arkhamina posted:

FWIW, I found mine on Facebook Marketplace, and there was a good variety of other bikes for sale. I'm expecting if last spring, people decided to pick up new hobbies, maybe this year they will be selling off their either unused/failed start bikes, or upsizing to bigger ones. My seller just went from this Rebel 500 to a Triumph. It was kind of sweet, he was obviously attached to it, but he'd gotten into doing longer rides, and the Rebel 500 is not the bike to take cross country (I am told).

A few days late, but congrats! I bought a Rebel 500 almost two years ago now as my second bike and have been very happy with it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought the same thing with home prices in my area and boy was I wrong about that

*edit*
apologies for linking to ZH but this is for slavvy

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1374395960005066764?s=20

Same. My wife and I have been saving up and planning to buy for a few years. We paid my student loans off in November 2020 and were like "ok sweet let's go buy a house". Literally the worst time to buy in an already red hot Seattle market. Inventory shrank, prices went even higher and everybody started moving to the suburbs for more space since we can all work from home now.

Covid was weird for the economy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I dunno. The majority of the first lesson I had was on how to use the clutch and it hasn't been an issue since. This was on a 125.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just signed up for the MSF class on the second weekend in May. :toot:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You're about to have so much fun

but seriously, I had an absolute blast doing at most 25mph in the MSF class

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Midjack posted:

I just signed up for the MSF class on the second weekend in May. :toot:

The one thing I remember about the MSF was that, having never ridden any kind of 2 wheeled motorized vehicle ever, how uncomfortable I was at first, like I thought I had made a mistake. But that only lasted around 45 minutes and it clicked.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Saaaaaaame. Like my hips and legs felt weird and I was wobbling like hell on every corner and constantly feeling like I was gonna stack it and going "poo poo, I paid a fair bit to not enjoy this", and then I chilled out the tiniest little bit and everything was awesome and I didn't stop smiling about it for a couple of weeks.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 25, 2021

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I always encourage my friends who have even just a casual interest in riding to go take the MSF. Even if they don’t go out and immediately buy a bike, it’s just a really fun way to spend a weekend. You get over the “oh god what if I make an rear end of myself and drop the bike in front of everyone??” anxiety quickly once you remember the instructors have seen it all and worse than whatever scenario you’ve imagined yourself getting into.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MSF was a blast for me. First time even going 25 mph I felt like I was going 100 after being so used to cars. Afterwards on my own bike going 45-50 felt insane. Convertibles give you a sense of speed, but it's still nothing like a motorcycle. Can't wait for the weather to get a bit nicer here to go for a ride.

The rebel I did my MSF had an insanely heavy clutch that would start to hurt my hand after 30 seconds. I was shocked how light it was on my N400.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MSF is also unintentionally hilarious

we had an older couple show up for the riding day in matching branded harley gear lol. chose the cruisers of course (dirt bikes are the pro choice as everyone knows). the boomer wife proceeded to hop on and dump the clutch and sent the poor bike into a light post at the community college we were riding at lol

she was unhurt. except for her pride lol she sat in the car for the rest of the day while the husband finished the test, passed, and they left for what was most likely a very quiet car ride home :D

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
This will be my first full season riding, I did my MSF course in June last year and got my bike early July. I rode until just about December but I'm itching to really have a lot of fun this year. I'm taking the bike out of storage on March 31st, just in time for a few days of rain to have helped clear some muck off the roads.

I've got a big stack of coloured cones ready to go do a few hours of practice and drills the first day or two back on the road, gotta shake off the cobwebs and settle my nerves again.

Any other new (or experienced) riders here in/around Ottawa, Ontario? I don't know if socially-distanced bike meet-ups are a SA thing but I figured I'd ask.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

right arm posted:

MSF is also unintentionally hilarious

we had an older couple show up for the riding day in matching branded harley gear lol. chose the cruisers of course (dirt bikes are the pro choice as everyone knows). the boomer wife proceeded to hop on and dump the clutch and sent the poor bike into a light post at the community college we were riding at lol

she was unhurt. except for her pride lol she sat in the car for the rest of the day while the husband finished the test, passed, and they left for what was most likely a very quiet car ride home :D

She should have been told explicitly to let the clutch out gently.

I bet she ignored it and did as she felt like, and of course ate a lamppost.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
During the first few laps the girl in front of me managed to ride the driving schools bike up a dirt gradient and into the property fence. The owner wasn't pleased and honestly I thought he was very unprofessional getting mad at a new rider for making a mistake but it's w/e. Looked spectacular when you are on like your third lap ever and suddenly the bike you are kind of following goes flying.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

The most memorable person from mine wasn’t even a newbie screwing up spectacularly, it was some 30-something guy who’d “been riding for years and finally making it legal,” who showed up to the second course day on his S1000RR to show off and was constantly arguing with the instructors when they called him out for his lovely riding techniques :jerkbag:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

She should have been told explicitly to let the clutch out gently.

I bet she ignored it and did as she felt like, and of course ate a lamppost.

oh 100% lol

we were all told to stand next to the bike before firing it up. she and her husband instead decided to hop on their bikes and once I heard the poor thing bouncing off the rev limiter I knew it was going to be bad times

thankfully she was at the front of our little group in the lot so we all got to watch :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pastor of muppets posted:

The most memorable person from mine wasn’t even a newbie screwing up spectacularly, it was some 30-something guy who’d “been riding for years and finally making it legal,” who showed up to the second course day on his S1000RR to show off and was constantly arguing with the instructors when they called him out for his lovely riding techniques :jerkbag:

I had the same thing in my class, but the guy didn't show up on a bike. You could tell he was a bit off, but somehow despite "riding for years" he was unable to pass the class (only person who didn't actually).

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
In my MSF course last summer, there was an older guy, probably mid-50's or close to 60, that skidded his Jaguar F-Type's tires into the parking lot the first day. He got out of his car in full Ducati Corsa gear from head to toe. He went on to drop the bike(s) multiple times, and just before we did the final test on day two (which he had to do multiple times just to get the bare minimum) he told us he was only doing the course because he had bought a Diavel 1260S two days before the course and just couldn't seem to get the darn thing insured. Had never even sat on a motorcycle until he put his rear end on the Diavel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Those are the most :911: motorcycling posts I've ever read.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

You're about to have so much fun

but seriously, I had an absolute blast doing at most 25mph in the MSF class

I can't believe how loving FAST that felt in the class. The sensation of speed was absolutely mind blowing to me, and I look down to see like 20mph heh.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My class was 2017, and I had just turned 40 - in my state, under 18s have to take it to get an endorsement. We had a trio of dirt bike kids that could ride like they'd been on them since elementary school (and in Wisconsin, this is possible). They were consistently being told to knock off showboating, and get back to the course. There was one guy at my table that had never ridden a *bicycle*! He was Indian American, and said his dad worked in insurance, and thus had seen too many accident reports. He passed fine. I think only one person failed, who just couldn't handle sharp turns. I think he was too nervous to trust that physics would keep him upright.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Our class was pretty uneventful other than two brothers from SEA that completely schooled us on every new section and one older dude with way to much money that had a GS 1200 waiting for him at home. The beemer dude was the one that almost failed by stalling multiple times during the final.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My class also had the standard mix of young kids looking to get a sport bike, old farts, experienced bikers' wives trying to get a license of their own, and surly cops.

Everyone passed except for one lady who crashed and hit her head on the first day and sat out the second, and another lady who showed up just for the test after having failed it the week before, wobbled through the first exercise, then went super wide on one of the precision turns and just got off and walked away.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I can't believe how loving FAST that felt in the class. The sensation of speed was absolutely mind blowing to me, and I look down to see like 20mph heh.

I wish I could have the sensation of speed that you have when you're first riding, but the confidence and abilities of someone who's been riding for a while. I have a distinct memory of having to force myself to go 35mph because it felt like I was already going too fast but I was actually in the 20s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I wish I could have the sensation of speed that you have when you're first riding, but the confidence and abilities of someone who's been riding for a while. I have a distinct memory of having to force myself to go 35mph because it felt like I was already going too fast but I was actually in the 20s.

Get a ct110, I promise the sensation of speed comes back when you get off the sportbike and onto something that actually reacts to bumps street speeds.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the only person who failed at my msf course was a woman on a trike.. i still do not know how she failed the box

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yep, the ct110 brings back the beginner speed feeling for sure. 80km/h feels hectic. I really gotta get mine road registered so I can ride it into town more.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I took an experienced class at a local dealership a couple years ago, and while I was sitting in the shade eating my lunch, some younger Harley meathead guy came up to me thinking I worked there and started talking about how he was there to finally get his license. Same old story, been riding for years, just never got around to doing the practical test for the license and got a ticket. So he was scoffing about what bullshit it was, waste of time, let’s just get this over with, etc. The instructor who tested him made him do some basic poo poo on a TW. He overshot the braking box on every attempt, went wide on all the turns, and nearly dropped once. Pretty sure he failed, and when he left, he just blasted the pipes on his big dumb bike all through the parking lot.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Will one of the new Honda Monkeys give me the same terrifying experience as a ct110?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jcam posted:

In my MSF course last summer, there was an older guy, probably mid-50's or close to 60, that skidded his Jaguar F-Type's tires into the parking lot the first day. He got out of his car in full Ducati Corsa gear from head to toe. He went on to drop the bike(s) multiple times, and just before we did the final test on day two (which he had to do multiple times just to get the bare minimum) he told us he was only doing the course because he had bought a Diavel 1260S two days before the course and just couldn't seem to get the darn thing insured. Had never even sat on a motorcycle until he put his rear end on the Diavel.

it's 50/50 if that guy scared the poo poo out of himself after one ride and a close call on it and then never rode again, or just pancaked himself.

The parking lot behaviour with his car suggests the latter to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Will one of the new Honda Monkeys give me the same terrifying experience as a ct110?

IMO no, because those fat small diameter wheels get scary feeling long before you get any kind of speed at all, and they're total poo poo in the corners. Skinny, large diameter wheels are the key. Not necessarily a supercub postie specifically, but anything with skinny wheels and wet noodle frame will do the job.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got a Yamaha Majesty up to 65 or 70mph and that felt pretty sketch, but that was before I had a bike so I can't really compare

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arkhamina posted:

dirt bike kids that could ride like they'd been on them since elementary school (and in Wisconsin, this is possible).

*raises hand*

Lol you’re describing me to a T

Me, a wisconsin elementary school dirtbike kid

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Speaking of the ct110...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

There was one guy at my table that had never ridden a *bicycle*!

What does everyone think re: how much harder it would be to start on a bike with no bicycle experience? I feel like it'd make a huge difference, but Arkhamina's classmate passed anyway. I learned to ride a bike at six but got my motorcycle license at 32, so it's pretty hard to compare.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I suppose it’s possible but would be exceedingly difficult. pokie attempted this and did not succeed. I am under the impression your balance on two wheels is deeply engrained in implicit and muscle memories and not necessarily conscious thought. This will be a lot easier to learn on a 5 (or 30) pound bicycle than a 300+ pound motorcycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t imagine learning to ride on a 500lb bicycle, and a motorcycle would be much the same?

It’s hard to say because I didn’t go through it, but I feel like that’s what it’d be like

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
He honestly did just fine, no worse than the rest of the 'real' newbies. I have a weird fascination with Royal Enfield bikes, and he was the only one at my table (being of Indian background) who had heard of them. I have a friend who I trust, who assures me I can do much better than them... But the Bullet was so pretty! Discontinued, though...

Those dirtbike kids really just needed their own section for the class. They must have been powerfully bored.

In other news, I had planned to go riding MY MOTORCYCLE on Saturday, for the first time but there is now a 95% chance of rain and it will only be 50F. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How many of you 'know' how to ride a bicycle but haven't tried for years? It turns out it isn't like riding a bike at all, I didn't fall over or anything but it's impossibly wobbly, you have to death grip the bars full-time because there's nowhere to put your legs and the brakes are hideous. And it's SO TIRING.

Imo how much you care about car driving is a much more powerful determinant of how you do. I've found good car drivers are very difficult to deprogram because they've spent years practicing the 'wrong' way to do things as far as bikes are concerned. They're also insanely paranoid about losing the front in ways that you physically can't/are extremely unlikely to, it takes ages to convince them you can turn in at any speed and it won't suddenly sledge for no reason cause bike tire loading doesn't work like they think it does.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 26, 2021