Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It really grind my gears how Duncan does that typical anglo thing of

"oh, I'm so sorry, I don't know french, I'm probably going to butcher this, I'm so sorry, ahum, *procedes to do terrible french accent*"

There is a pretty well accepted way to pronounce french names englishy. Just say robes pee air or whatever. That goes for everyone. You sound worse trying to say it properly. I'm not caught up but it gets even worse in the ones where he's about to/has moved to France for the book. At least he's trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HoR is very good and its rough in the early stuff that most people already know about anyway. It gets way better as it goes and by the time it gets to the later periods like the 5 good emperors and then the crisis of the third century, its humming along.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Mike Duncan is ok for pop history and is miles beyond the The desk of History and the hardcore history guy but his historgriphy is still insanely poor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Angry history grad students have logged on

Actually this thread is so old they're probably angry history adjuncts now

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

Angry history grad students have logged on

Actually this thread is so old they're probably angry history adjuncts now

just lol at the idea of any history grad students even becoming adjuncts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

King of False Promises posted:

just lol at the idea of any history grad students even becoming adjuncts.

Angry walmart night shift

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There has not been an open tenure track history position in 45 years

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

There has not been an open tenure track history position in 45 years

Could be worse I mean my wife initially planned to pursue a PHD in religion . That would have been: undergrad, master’s (seminary), second masters (Chicago or Harvard), PhD program at either Harvard or Chicago... to maybe get adjunct jobs at a small Midwestern college(think IA, WI or MN)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A know someone who moved from Chicago to the Texas panhandle to get an adjunct history job at a community college. The dream is possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sbaldrick posted:

Mike Duncan is ok for pop history and is miles beyond the The desk of History and the hardcore history guy but his historgriphy is still insanely poor.

Yeah I'd recommend Wyman over Duncan any day, but Duncan strikes me as probably the second best history podcaster?

Hit me with your podcast recommendations is what I'm saying. I dream of listening to a series on the Rus' from Rurik to the Mongols, but sadly it seems to be one of those periods that's just extremely inaccessible due to a lack of literacy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

History of the Crusades starts rough to start but She really finds her groove about the fifth crusade, if the first few aren't hitting try and jump in at the crusade against the Cathars.

When diplomacy Fails is also criminally underrated, takes a look at the political side of conflict through examination of the primary participants, Dude was getting his masters last I listened and yet has an absolutely disgusting work rate. There was a point for the anniversary where he was putting out five hour episodes every day for a month. As someone who dislikes Duncan's list of events approach Zach manages, through analyzation of the recent scholarship and primary sources, to really get you into the mind of the actors and understand Why they made the decisions they did.

There's also a history podcast thread, but those two are my only two unconditional rec's
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

PittTheElder posted:

Hit me with your podcast recommendations is what I'm saying. I dream of listening to a series on the Rus' from Rurik to the Mongols, but sadly it seems to be one of those periods that's just extremely inaccessible due to a lack of literacy.

Lol more like the records were almost totally lost in one of the many fires that broke out or were set intentionally in the largely wooden cities that make up Kievan Rus' and its successor states

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I listen to a few, some with more relish than others. Patrick Wyman is great, though now he's doing pre-history. The one I struggle with is the British History Podcast. On one hand Jamie Jeffers seems to really care about the topic, and tries to both have a narrative but also do some analysis and focus away from merely talking about nobles doing noble stuff to actually looking at the peasantry. So that's good! But there's little to no talk of anything but primary sources, so it's never clear if this is his own narrative, or if it's a synthesis of the state of the field? Plus there's a lot of random speculation about why so and so did this in a way that isn't always clear how grounded it is in the record.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Lol more like the records were almost totally lost in one of the many fires that broke out or were set intentionally in the largely wooden cities that make up Kievan Rus' and its successor states

Ah poo poo really? I mean that does add up but that's much sadder.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Carillon posted:

I listen to a few, some with more relish than others. Patrick Wyman is great, though now he's doing pre-history. The one I struggle with is the British History Podcast. On one hand Jamie Jeffers seems to really care about the topic, and tries to both have a narrative but also do some analysis and focus away from merely talking about nobles doing noble stuff to actually looking at the peasantry. So that's good! But there's little to no talk of anything but primary sources, so it's never clear if this is his own narrative, or if it's a synthesis of the state of the field? Plus there's a lot of random speculation about why so and so did this in a way that isn't always clear how grounded it is in the record.

It's British history so for like half the time it's "Bede says this" or "the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles describe this as..." without much else to go on outside archaeology and whatever you can make from Welsh records while avoiding awakening cthulhu on accident.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Zopotantor posted:

Yeah, later in that movie we see what a lovely sword that is, can be broken by any rusty piece of junk from a grave.

Atlantean steel, folded 10.000 times

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Oh and another reply because I'm curious; was this a thing caused by the Mongol invasions in particular, or more just centuries of wooden cities burning down for various reasons (including Mongols).

And if works did exist, but survived in greatly reduced numbers, is there more written about the period in Russian or Ukrainian? It has occurred to me the lack of coverage on the Rus' might be a problem particular to English.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I was thinking that sounded like Aku, and wait, that IS Mako.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Oh and another reply because I'm curious; was this a thing caused by the Mongol invasions in particular, or more just centuries of wooden cities burning down for various reasons (including Mongols).

And if works did exist, but survived in greatly reduced numbers, is there more written about the period in Russian or Ukrainian? It has occurred to me the lack of coverage on the Rus' might be a problem particular to English.

In Korea, there had been literacy from the 1st century BCE, there's records of prolific writing and a number of monumental works from the 400s onwards, and by Goryeo the place was actually fairly renowned for its books, but other than a couple of stone steles and a fragmented village register almost flat nothing survives from before 1145.

I don't know how directly applicable Korea is to Russia's case, but they have wooden cities and the Mongols in common at least. In Korea's case the Mongols were horrifically devastating, but it's clear that plenty was lost even before those invasions. The text from 1145 is a state history (of Silla/Baekje/Goguryeo) and references a whole bunch of older sources it draws from, but it has way more about Silla than the other kingdoms, and we know lots about at least Baekje existed because it forms a huge part of Japan's early state histories; stuff that was written on but no longer survived on the peninsula.
When cities get burned down over and over again (as they did in Korea and I'm sure Russia too), it's staggering how much gets lost.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Koramei posted:

In Korea, there had been literacy from the 1st century BCE, there's records of prolific writing and a number of monumental works from the 400s onwards, and by Goryeo the place was actually fairly renowned for its books, but other than a couple of stone steles and a fragmented village register almost flat nothing survives from before 1145.

I don't know how directly applicable Korea is to Russia's case, but they have wooden cities and the Mongols in common at least. In Korea's case the Mongols were horrifically devastating, but it's clear that plenty was lost even before those invasions. The text from 1145 is a state history (of Silla/Baekje/Goguryeo) and references a whole bunch of older sources it draws from, but it has way more about Silla than the other kingdoms, and we know lots about at least Baekje existed because it forms a huge part of Japan's early state histories; stuff that was written on but no longer survived on the peninsula.
When cities get burned down over and over again (as they did in Korea and I'm sure Russia too), it's staggering how much gets lost.
Here's a fun thought: Goon paranoia or anti-goon sentiment may mean our forum archives are among the better attested historical documents of this period to future historians.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

Here's a fun thought: Goon paranoia or anti-goon sentiment may mean our forum archives are among the better attested historical documents of this period to future historians.

Somethingawful is preserved at the library of Congress.

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2014/06/getting-serious-about-collecting-and-preserving-digital-culture/

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

It comforts me to know that the high quality shitposting of Goons will be preserved instead those plebeians over on Reddit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also there is a fairly well-regarded book on the growth of the alt-right online entitled "It Came From Something Awful"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

iirc their archive doesn't have a sa account, and therefore couldn't access the forums, so it's useless

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

iirc their archive doesn't have a sa account, and therefore couldn't access the forums, so it's useless

Arguably no less useless than two decades' worth of shitposting and shmeltdowns would have been.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's the highest rank in government that a goon has achieved?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vilerat would be my guess, but I doubt any prominent government goon would talk about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We have had goons as highly ranked in the military as O-5 and possibly O-6. No goon flag rank officers yet. I would not be surprised if there are a few GS-14+ goons on the civilian side.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vilerat got killed in Benghazi.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2423

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is actually pretty interesting, in that the sites they're archiving are really the more influential sites from the 2000-2010 era of the internet, but are largely moribund or marginalised now. I don't really know that there's an equivalent for the 2010s or 2020s. Social media (and Reddit) are more platforms than communities. And while the FAANGs may be recording vast amounts of behavioral data on nearly every human on the planet, but I suspect that'll have about the same likelihood of survival and future historical usefulness as Sumerian accounting tablets.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Koramei posted:

This applies to the Greeks and the Romans too, almost no original manuscripts from classical Greece or Rome survive, with the exception of some fragments of papyrus preserved by the desert in Egypt. For everything else, we only have copies of copies made by medieval monks. Unless a well developed process for manuscript copying exists, anything written on fragile materials like paper or papyrus will be lost eventually.

This is why we should go back to writing on clay tablets. Anything we want to preserve for future generations should be inscribed in clay, fired, and buried in the ground. We know so much more about the most eras of the cuneiform-era Near Eastern world than we do about any ancient period, except maybe Late Republican and Early Imperial Rome, because such a relatively large number of their documents have survived, since fired clay tablets are much less fragile then paper or papyrus.

CrypticFox fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 25, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, but the effort involved in etching things in more survivable mediums and then leaving them in places where they'll survive for long periods of time means that you'll only get weird eccentric things surviving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPpB_BRZJ8

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Gonna DM you my answer to keep Rus' Chat separate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but the effort involved in etching things in more survivable mediums and then leaving them in places where they'll survive for long periods of time means that you'll only get weird eccentric things surviving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPpB_BRZJ8
Like the full and complete works of L Ron Hubbard!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

And something to remember is that when the Mongols burned down large cities in Korea, the Goryeo dynasty had invested massively in a metal-based movable type printing press to try and save some of Buddhist works and hopefully outlast the invasion*, and even with that there's still a huge black hole in Korean historical writings

*massively oversimplified

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

sbaldrick posted:

hardcore history is seriously terrible

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Gonna DM you my answer to keep Rus' Chat separate.

cmon man!!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

CrypticFox posted:

This applies to the Greeks and the Romans too, almost no original manuscripts from classical Greece or Rome survive, with the exception of some fragments of papyrus preserved by the desert in Egypt. For everything else, we only have copies of copies made by medieval monks. Unless a well developed process for manuscript copying exists, anything written on fragile materials like paper or papyrus will be lost eventually.

In Korea's case the copies all got lost too. Koreans from at least Goryeo would keep detailed records of the daily goings on of the king ("the veritable records," iirc coming from a Chinese tradition). In Joseon, to try to actually keep them safe, these records were copied and distributed to four separate archives in completely different parts of the country, so that if a disaster took one archive out there would be plenty of backups. During the Imjin War, 3 of the 4 archives were destroyed, and the last came pretty close.

This kind of stuff seems to have even happened to China too, incidentally, which makes it all the more impressive how much ancient stuff actually made it through intact from there. There's an anecdote where iirc the Southern Song, after the flight from the north of the country actually requested a chunk of Chinese works from Goryeo because the copies available to them in the mainland had all been lost.

By comparison I think it's really impressive at how much ancient stuff actually made it through Japanese history basically intact, by comparison. I dunno if there was something cultural going on there or what, or maybe foreign invasion is more devastating or something.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 26, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even at the height of the Sengoku, there were norms around war to limit the devastation. Even notoriously ruthless warlords like Nobunaga observed some of these norms, so there were places like Kyoto and Sakai that remained sacrosanct. The Imjim war on the other hand was a war of Imperial conquest and there were no norms to observe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think it's just War Is hell. And being an island reduces how much war you're exposed to.