Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Do you have to log every time someone interrupts you with a stupid question on slack? Something tells me they're conveniently blind to how much time people waste on that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Forseti posted:

Do you have to log every time someone interrupts you with a stupid question on slack? Something tells me they're conveniently blind to how much time people waste on that poo poo

"The expectation is that you will answer my emails immediately"

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

I'm New England Irish-Italian descent. Telling people off gets me off.

If you ghost them who knows how long it will take them to fire you and stop paying you though, you could double dip

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Forseti posted:

I am supposed to, yes. Considering management here has the foresight of Mr. Magoo they don't see that it discourages people from naturally interacting with each other. If I'm going to have to make a time entry every time a co-worker or some rear end in a top hat from sales has a question for me I'm going to start discouraging taking questions. It's counterproductive for the sake of justifying someone's job to go through time entries. Pure insanity.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Corporate America has never heard of concentration.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
capitalism is so effishunt

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

"The expectation is that you will answer my emails immediately"

I called you to ask if you got the text that I had emailed you

This has literally happened to me more than one time

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gorson posted:

I am supposed to, yes. Considering management here has the foresight of Mr. Magoo they don't see that it discourages people from naturally interacting with each other. If I'm going to have to make a time entry every time a co-worker or some rear end in a top hat from sales has a question for me I'm going to start discouraging taking questions. It's counterproductive for the sake of justifying someone's job to go through time entries. Pure insanity.

this is a big thing in local contract negotiations in this sort of business in norway - typically the rules are fairly strict on both ends, so you're technically justified in logging a half hour, say, for even the shortest phone call, but generally employees don't log two-minute calls and bosses don't look too closely at how the employees spend their flex time

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the expectation that you should just make concessions because they're reasonable is very american and it's seeping into non-unionised workplaces, but serious businesses still have workers cognisant of the inherently antagonistic relationship between them and the company and make sure to get something in return for being reasonable

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I called you to ask if you got the text that I had emailed you

This has literally happened to me more than one time

:same:

"You didn't respond to my Salesforce chatter so I IMed you and you didn't respond despite being set to do not disturb so I emailed you and cc'ed your entire management structure"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

cc'ed your entire management structure"

**THIRD REQUEST**

(in the space of 4 minutes but I failed to mention that the one time I tattled on you)

the most passive aggressive bullshit

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lib and let die posted:

:same:

"You didn't respond to my Salesforce chatter so I IMed you and you didn't respond despite being set to do not disturb so I emailed you and cc'ed your entire management structure"

I think you mean bcc'd.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
it’s just wild to me how much my management talks a big game about flexibility and respecting time away from computer, and then immediately forgets that.

I was lying in bed at like midnight last night and happened to notice my phone buzz with a work chat, and it’s one of my bosses just asking a completely non urgent question. earlier in the day I had to cut a workout short at 7pm because we needed to have a call RIGHT NOW with another one of my bosses. like guys I’m trying to be flexible but all of you are working different hours and expecting me to be online with all of you.

anyway, turns out a bunch of people are quitting and they can’t quite figure out why.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
management talkin a big game about something is basically projection 80% of the time, basically like republicans

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

**THIRD REQUEST**

(in the space of 4 minutes but I failed to mention that the one time I tattled on you)

the most passive aggressive bullshit

URGENT: FWD: FWD: URGENT: FWD: URGENT: Can u call me pls I need to know the weather on site if I should bring a jacket

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

I'm New England Irish-Italian descent. Telling people off gets me off.

I vote gently caress them up, verbally, in your "I'm quitting" email. No decorum, no masters.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I vote gently caress them up, verbally, in your "I'm quitting" email. No decorum, no masters.

Definitely this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had someone at my customer copy their customer into an email

"Len, I sent you this two weeks ago why hasn't this sample shipped?"

So I attached the email she sent the day before at 5pm that had that order and just replied all with a good ol "Because you sent it to me yesterday after I left and it's only 9am. Fedex doesn't come until 3pm"

She did not have a reply

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bhangbhangducx/status/1374629944953692160?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Seems like a design flaw in that canal if a ship can run aground in it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If you make something idiot proof, they'll make a better idiot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sumerian beer was basically fermented porridge, like a wheat version of makgeolli

I watched some three hour doc on the Sumerians last night and the production used carbonated beer closeups when talking about their beer and I thought "ok they were advanced but come on now..."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's amazing how what we think of as beer basically completely changed in the 1800s thanks to J C Jacobsen and his contemporaries. Before that, something like a gose was the standard

They also changed beer from a local thing to an industrial thing. Unsurprisingly, his company, Carlsberg, is worth a lot to this day.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

skooma512 posted:

If you make something idiot proof, they'll make a better idiot.

This, plus no matter how wide a canal you make, they're gonna build the ships a couple centimeters narrower

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres already a few ships that dont fit in any canal anywhere

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

yeah but this way, the project manager didn't have to put in a change order with specifications that would have fit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I always found it interesting that the super mega hyper oil tankers are so big that they generally can't even enter ports, they just anchor off the coast and hook up to a floating pump station that sends the oil to the shore via a pipeline

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

I always found it interesting that the super mega hyper oil tankers are so big that they generally can't even enter ports, they just anchor off the coast and hook up to a floating pump station that sends the oil to the shore via a pipeline

Amazing "How many more points of failure can we add on to this bad boy??"

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
My first day of my first real job, the secretary asked me what time I started work in the morning, because the admins kept everyone's time in the office. I said well usually 730am, but sometimes it might be earlier or later depending on traffic, and she was like oh no don't worry about that, what time do you usually get in? That's when I realized she just had to write down something on the card.

BonHair posted:

They also changed beer from a local thing to an industrial thing. Unsurprisingly, his company, Carlsberg, is worth a lot to this day.

I think fresh beer is amazing. The best beer I ever had was a fresh Miller Lite at the brewery in Milwaukee (though Weiheistephaner is my current go to). And I have a theory that fresh is the only way that Pabst could've won that blue ribbon.

AvesPKS has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Mar 25, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Amazing "How many more points of failure can we add on to this bad boy??"

It's the lesser evil. They don't turn very well and this way it's far from things that will shank it.

Imagine that one getting breached. Humanity would literally give the Earth a black eye.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

I think fresh beer is amazing. The best beer I ever had was a fresh Miller Lite at the brewery in Milwaukee (though Weiheistephaner is my current go to). And I have a theory that fresh is the only way that Pabst could've won that blue ribbon.
Vietnamese bia hơi on cheap plastic chairs is where it's at for fresh beer. Ymmv though.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

How does the plastic chair figure in to the process? I'm a beginner and love Pho and I want to take it to the next level. I wish to gain wisdom on the path to bia hơi (unless wisdom is mutually exclusive with bia hơi).

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Shame Boy posted:

I visited an offshore terminal off Redondo Beach where the relatively small shuttle tankers anchor to pump oil. And by smaller I mean this was an 850 foot long ship. They go out and rendezvous with ULCCs somewhere even further offshore and transfer oil at sea.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

palindrome posted:

How does the plastic chair figure in to the process? I'm a beginner and love Pho and I want to take it to the next level. I wish to gain wisdom on the path to bia hơi (unless wisdom is mutually exclusive with bia hơi).

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Just checked and we have 35+ timesheet codes for non-billable tasks. Just lol if anyone uses them, I dump what I need to into ADMIN/ADMIN to round out my hours for the day.

Also I found a powerbi file on the network drive with, uh, everyone's salary in it. 700+ people. swear I wasn't poking around anywhere I shouldn't have been btw. wow some people are massively under/overpaid.

not sure what the ethical thing to do is, so I'll probably just figure out a way to add this new information to the resentment room in my mind palace.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you can manage to spread it to say, the entire employee base without it leading back to you you might live through some very interesting times.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

Just checked and we have 35+ timesheet codes for non-billable tasks. Just lol if anyone uses them, I dump what I need to into ADMIN/ADMIN to round out my 7.5 hours a day.

Also I found a powerbi file on the network drive with, uh, everyone's salary in it. 700+ people. swear I wasn't poking around anywhere I shouldn't have been btw. wow some people are massively under/overpaid.

not sure what the ethical thing to do is, so I'll probably just figure out a way to add this new information to the resentment room in my mind palace.

That's super cool, be sure to mention it around right before negotiation time. Having that sort of information gives a huge edge for the employees.

Also lol at no one bothering to secure stuff. Not working in Infosec tells me this is far from unusual. At least it's just salary, not medical data and personnel files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
honestly considered it. fake gmail account, throw it into a google doc, share it with the list of staff emails (which is also in the file lmbo)

obliterates my chance of working in the entire industry if it comes back to me somehow though, SO probably not worth the risk.