Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Can't wait for the future of trucking! :science:

this is just elite: dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

American Truck Simulator but as inspired by the Rush song “Red Barchetta” (itself inspired by a short story, A Nice Morning Drive).

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

No, more like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lodin posted:

No, more like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

I really wanted to like that game but something about it just didn't work for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Not until you have to get out of your shuttle to chain up your space tires for driving through a nebula. :colbert:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

It’s not about driving into those cities - Paris, London and Berlin have industries lined all along the ring roads. The one in Berlin is 400 km long! Currently, to represent that, these cities would need to take up a large part of their respective countries. I mean, they could fake it, but they’d beed more smoke and mirrors.

The distance problem is also pronounced in areas with tightly packed cities - ETS doesn’t do justice to places like the Benelux or the Rhine-Ruhr region. You’d need a system of relative map sizes to make it work somehow.

Also, mountains and valleys look bad, for all the great job they’re doing with the map these days. I don’t think it’s fixable in this generation of the engine - maybe in the future, when the train and truck sim genres go through a revolution like Flight Sim has.

You should definitely give promods a go as they have managed an excelent version of London, but the UK in ETS2 is scaled slightly differently from the rest of the map giving them quite a bit more space than on the continent. Still there are lots of parts that are well represented road wise.

The only criticism is that they modeled quite a bit of the centre where most full sized trucks would avoid irl. They have worked through quite a few other parts in the UK making it feel more like it should rather than just some generic roads with british names slapped on them.

Also they massively improved the Benelux area somehow adding quite a few cities and making it way more like it is irl.

I definitely agree with you that some places are going to get missed out due to the scale of the map though and as glad as I am that they are still actively supporting the game for what will be almost 10 years. Part of me wishes that they would put that effort into a new game engine for ETS3 because as nice as stuff looks they still can't manage to have the mountains not draw themselves in the distance which is probably my biggest immersion killer in the game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Just wanted to say that the 1.40 update for ETS2/ATS is amazing and I finally ordered a wheel and pedal having played both games since release.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress new lighting, feast your eyes on the new competition!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1568180/USA_Truck_Simulator/

Featuring a 1% discount bringing it from $1.99 to $1.97. Act fact, this special promotion ends April 1st.

e: Oh my god the "Jay-Walking" tie-in map!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Featuring a 1% discount bringing it from $1.99 to $1.97. Act fact, this special promotion ends April 1st.

now that is some value for your dollar

edit: wow this dev is working hard!

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 25, 2021

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

my favorite part is how the store page says there's 14 american cities and 1 canadian one. i guess the canadian one is mexico city

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Did they swipe art assets from Cities:Skylines for all that shovelware or just the trucking one?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
oh ffs. An accident spawned 5 metres in front of me as I was doing 70mph at night. Completely wrecked my poo poo, I'm at 68% truck, 15% trailer and 5% cargo damage.

Why do you do this to me, ATS. :negative:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I would give up the AI turning right on red if it would also prevent them from entering the intersection to do so while I'm crossing it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They can get the hell out of my way or they can die, this is America and I'm rich, I don't give a gently caress.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What are you talking about, Minneapolis has always been there. There is no Milwaukee.

duz posted:

I would give up the AI turning right on red if it would also prevent them from entering the intersection to do so while I'm crossing it.
Remember: Other vehicles are the enemy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Is there no ownable fuel/hazmat tanker trailer in ATS?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oldstench posted:

Is there no ownable fuel/hazmat tanker trailer in ATS?

If the setup is the same as ETS, you're looking for the "container carrier" trailer. That'll haul hazmat tanks.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Promods for ETS and ATS are now out for 1.40

I can't be hosed to try either out because I haven't played for a while and 1.40 has broke a bunch of mods for me and I can't be bothered to sort through them all. Maybe when Iberia comes out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dareon posted:

If the setup is the same as ETS, you're looking for the "container carrier" trailer. That'll haul hazmat tanks.

Doesn't look like it's in ATS.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh god dammit. Did they gently caress with the detour frequency for the 1.4s? I've been playing ATS (which I don't feel like I'm clicking with, but I'll whine about that later I guess) for ~6 hours and 2/3s of my trips have had some sort of detour. Mostly small ones, but I just jumped back into ETS since I'm loving around with Promods and just got hit with this one:

Which added like 2 hours to my trip and put me 12 minutes over the time limit and cost me a bunch money. :argh:

I've tuned them down from the gameplay menu now, but ugh.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh god dammit. Did they gently caress with the detour frequency for the 1.4s? I've been playing ATS (which I don't feel like I'm clicking with, but I'll whine about that later I guess) for ~6 hours and 2/3s of my trips have had some sort of detour. Mostly small ones, but I just jumped back into ETS since I'm loving around with Promods and just got hit with this one:

Which added like 2 hours to my trip and put me 12 minutes over the time limit and cost me a bunch money. :argh:

I've tuned them down from the gameplay menu now, but ugh.

I turned detours down to 0. One of the few mechanics they've implemented that I just didn't find any fun. There were instances that it didn't seem like there was any good detour or that it would take an inordinate amount of time to go the other way (especially with the time compression in the game). Once I realized that I was trying to creep past them on the shoulder every time they showed up, I just cranked it all the way down.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I turned detours down to 0. One of the few mechanics they've implemented that I just didn't find any fun. There were instances that it didn't seem like there was any good detour or that it would take an inordinate amount of time to go the other way (especially with the time compression in the game). Once I realized that I was trying to creep past them on the shoulder every time they showed up, I just cranked it all the way down.

I just sneak by the cops fuckem. I didn't realize you could turn em down to zero.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah there aren't enough roads in the game to make detours even the slightest bit interesting. After the second time I teleported myself around one because it would add five loving hours to my trip I just turned them off and never looked back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should probably turn them off, by the time I realize that was a detour and not just a traffic stop or accident, I've already blown past it and crashed into the helicopter blocking three lanes of the highway.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Renault are announcing a new truck on the sixth of April and it's coming to ETS later that day.

I just love that both games have now become so big that the manufacturers see it as good PR to include their newest models.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pretty much, I set it to as close to 0 as i could on ATS because sometimes they aren't too bad although I should probably just turn them off. ETS no way, there is no way a detour should take you through an entire different country which it has done sometimes.

In real life you would be able to take the next exit, which in most cases isn't like 300 miles away. The games road network isn't dense enough for this.

I feel like they saw this in I'm gonna say Fernbus which has a lower scale map and thought that they needed to add it to ets also

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The map just isn’t designed for detours. That’s it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Iberia hitting on Thursday. Glad I'm still burnt out from the last time I binged cause I don't have time for truckin right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVEBdGZ7UcM

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I dropped some of that stimulus fun money on an Oculus, and it's giving me a whole new appreciation for ETS2. I'm having to go through the whole 'what truck should I get' rigamarole again, though, especially since some truck stuff got changed around. (Volvo, for instance, is no longer the 'bargain bin vehicle gives you 540 HP' option.) The truck browser helps, but it renders onto a flat screen; the only way to truly get a look around the inside of a truck is to drive one. That said, I've learned that:
  • The Volvo control panel is kind of hard to read during the day; the red needles on the gauges, especially, don't show up well.
  • Entry-level Scanias don't have GPSes stock, even though some of them look like they should.
  • The Renault T's dashboard shows the most critical number - how fast I'm going - nice and big. (This isn't actually a new thing I've learned, but it is handy.) It's a pity that
*record scratch*

Wait. The new truck is a Renault T 2021, sayeth the wiki? And it's coming to ETS2 in two days? ...maybe I can give my eyes a break until then...

e: oh, and Iberia on Thursday. ...all righty then.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 5, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I really wish I could do ATS/ETS in VR, but I get the absolute worst motion sickness from it. I think I’m just too used to driving in real life, my body doesn’t know how to handle not having the sensation of stopping and accelerating. Funny because I don’t get that at all with, like, spaceship games.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Fortunately, I'm extremely resistant to motion sickness, real and virtual. The closest I came to carsickness when I wasn't actually sick was when I tried to read on a hovercraft, and even then, as soon as I stopped reading I was fine.

e: though the weight of the headset does impose limits on how quickly I can comfortably look around.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm in an annoying gray area until I can find a new GPU, where I get enough performance to run ProMods in 2d, and enough performance to run VR in stock, but not both.
I eventually went for ProMods as being the more important experience upgrade, but the game does otherwise do VR very nicely.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Fortunately, I'm extremely resistant to motion sickness, real and virtual. The closest I came to carsickness when I wasn't actually sick was when I tried to read on a hovercraft, and even then, as soon as I stopped reading I was fine.

e: though the weight of the headset does impose limits on how quickly I can comfortably look around.

I can't get motion sick driving in iRacing or TrukDriver. I have issues with anything where I "walk" around, teleport is okay but walking without walking makes my brain go Whuuut, and my stomach go.. EEEEk.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

tater_salad posted:

I can't get motion sick driving in iRacing or TrukDriver. I have issues with anything where I "walk" around, teleport is okay but walking without walking makes my brain go Whuuut, and my stomach go.. EEEEk.

Subnautica was the only game that made me take the VR headset off really quickly.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

shortspecialbus posted:

Subnautica was the only game that made me take the VR headset off really quickly.

I didn't take it off quickly enough and tried to push through, which after twenty minutes ended with me nearly puking and then two fun days of lingering dizziness and vertigo. I was about ready to go to the doctor and ask if I broke my brain.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The ultimate test to see if you're immune to VR motion sickness is watching all of Hardcore Henry in one go without ever taking the headset off. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait. The new truck is a Renault T 2021, sayeth the wiki? And it's coming to ETS2 in two days? ...maybe I can give my eyes a break until then...

good news! the new renault T is the same truck you love but with a new front bumper

literally, if you already own the renault T in-game, you can just buy the facelift parts for it. a really silly thing to hype but that's more on renault's end than SCS' of course