Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

Isn't the recent wave of homebrew ports possible because the Vita is also an ARM device?

Midjack posted:

Vita is ARM. Cortex A9. So emulate it on a new Macintosh. :twisted:

You're right, wonder why I had that in my head.. Well,

Must have had it in my head that they stuck with MIPS because that's what the PSP and PS2 were, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well it does have a MIPS processor. It's how it can run PSP and PS1 games almost flawlessly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, I knew it had the sub-CPU for that but, even so.

Sorry, Kirby brain no work so good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Are there *any* sub $200 handhelds that run decent SNES emulation? That always seems to be a sticking point. One of my earlier memories is being disappointed in SNES emulation on my IBM Aptiva E

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Are there *any* sub $200 handhelds that run decent SNES emulation? That always seems to be a sticking point. One of my earlier memories is being disappointed in SNES emulation on my IBM Aptiva E

Yeah the RG351 and RV351 do. They are $100 (ish)

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

Here you go: https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG--Assembled_p_16.html

It can do everything up to Dreamcast and N64 with no problems

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SNOT CORN posted:

what in god's name were they thinking with that form factor

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

preach it brother

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Necrothatcher posted:

what in god's name were they thinking with that form factor

Nostalgia. The thumbstick looks ill placed but I'm not sure where else it would go.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
The L/R buttons on the back weird me out. Love this poo poo though:

That's an Ethernet port. Where has this functionality been all my life?

Edit sorry for the derail I mixed this up with the retro handheld thread. Vita wise I picked up Jet Set Radio the other day and I'm having a really loving hard time with it. The controls are at once too floaty and too precise, I can't even unlock Garam. The timer in Street levels is a serious bummer. I just want to explore these awesome environments and the game is pushing me out the door. Might give up on this and surprised it was so well received.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 25, 2021

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

the new 3ds family actually has very good snes emulation, both through virtual console injects and the port of snes9x. i recently beat super mario rpg, an SA-1 game, on there with no framedrops, no slowdown, no bs at all and i could never tolerate snes games on the psp.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did they ever fix the thing where you can't buy a PSN game if you've claimed it on PS Plus? I've put a ton of time into Spelunky and I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to "own" it outside of a subscription. But my current Plus subscription runs past the rumored store closing date, so not really sure what my options are.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Minidust posted:

Did they ever fix the thing where you can't buy a PSN game if you've claimed it on PS Plus? I've put a ton of time into Spelunky and I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to "own" it outside of a subscription. But my current Plus subscription runs past the rumored store closing date, so not really sure what my options are.

The only option AFAIK is to do it on a ps4 console. You can buy stuff you've claimed via ps+ that way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SNOT CORN posted:

Honestly once you get into this price range you are better off just getting something like this

https://youtu.be/uo74m1F2YIA

Which would blow the doors off that Pi.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unless you want a single unified device and not a random extra smartphone just for games that you also need to attach a controller to, sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Unless you want a single unified device and not a random extra smartphone just for games that you also need to attach a controller to, sure.

It’s not that different once you attach a controller. It’s also more capable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

quote:

We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on 2 July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27 August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2 July 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.

What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Where can you find out more?
Read our FAQ for more information: https://www.playstation.com/support/important-notice/

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

quote:

• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.
This point is interesting. Since I was specifically concerned about Spelunky on Vita, which I currently have via PS Plus... it sounds like i could still back-door it into my permanent Vita library if I eventually purchased it for real on PS4 (since it's a Vita/PS3/PS4 cross-buy title).

So really any title that's cross-buy for PS4 and Vita could still be indirectly purhcased? That's a small comfort at least, if I'm interpreting this correctly. There's a decent amount of cross-buy stuff.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 29, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Great, so you can still trivially pirate games from Sony's CDN, just not buy them. Good times.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

You would have to make sure what you want to trivially pirate is available to pirate, tho. There's still gaps in there, majorly DLCs and jp games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah for now I think I actually have everything I want from ps3 and vita. The only thing left I want to grab is soul sacrifice delta.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Everyone go buy and play Taco Master, probably one of my favorite digital-only Vita games.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/thegamerwebsite/status/1377216622298030084?s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol that article

Also lol at this

quote:

To make matters worse, the studio bought a new PS Vita developer kit through Sony just last month, with no warning about the looming closure. Some bigger-name developers (who asked to remain anonymous) were warned in advance.

Dear god why?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, surely someone is currently pulling all of the ps3 and vita games off the Sony CDN and prepping them for archive.org right?

RIGHT?

:cry:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, surely someone is currently pulling all of the ps3 and vita games off the Sony CDN and prepping them for archive.org right?

RIGHT?

:cry:

They’re still going to be there, to facilitate people being able to download existing purchases even after the storefronts are shuttered.

I expect we’ll get another deadline when they’re going to pull the plug completely in x years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but if you don’t buy every single vita and PS3 game that you might ever want to play, July is the deadline for you.

Since that’s not feasible, July kind of is the deadline for obtaining the games legally

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What does buying them legally have to do with being able to use a pirated backup down the line? Because that’s the only use backups from the CDN will have at that point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At a certain point once a console is EOL pirating is the only answer.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MarcusSA posted:

lol that article

Also lol at this

Dear god why?

Lmfao yeah lemme buy a Dev kit for a platform that’s been all but dead since 2015, in 2021.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just ordered a Neo geo pocket dev kit. Wish me luck on my future business endeavor!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

What does buying them legally have to do with being able to use a pirated backup down the line? Because that’s the only use backups from the CDN will have at that point.

Exactly. This august you decide you want to check out a game on the PS3 or vita that you don’t already own, modding your system and pirating it is the only option especially on vita if the game didn’t come on a cartridge

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MarcusSA posted:

I just ordered a Neo geo pocket dev kit. Wish me luck on my future business endeavor!

This is still a better prospect than getting a Vita kit and I like the Vita :rip:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The biggest actual issue is going to be the loss of DLC.

I’m sure some enterprising people will come up with a solution eventually but as it is now (afaik) even pirates are gonna be kinda sol on that front.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Healbot posted:

Lmfao yeah lemme buy a Dev kit for a platform that’s been all but dead since 2015, in 2021.

If there's still a profitable market for Vita games, enough to justify getting a dev kit, then why not?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Exactly. This august you decide you want to check out a game on the PS3 or vita that you don’t already own, modding your system and pirating it is the only option especially on vita if the game didn’t come on a cartridge

Then they can still be pulled from the CDN with the same piracy methods that exist today, because they’re still going to be there in August.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

The biggest actual issue is going to be the loss of DLC.
AFAIK it's the usual preservation problem. In order to pirate content someone needs to make a legitimate purchase of it on a modded system and record the CDN URL and the license key. So, things currently on the PlayStation Store that the pirates don't have access to means nobody cares enough to actually purchase it and add it to the pirate database/spreadsheet/whatever. In practice "you" probably don't care about that stuff either, but preservationists do.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I suppose it's worth explaining how backups and piracy works here. I don't have a PS3, only a PSP and Vita so I can only speak for those.

On the PSP there's a CFW plugin, npdrm_free, while on the Vita there's another, NoNpDrm. These plugins are actually very useful even if you only ever legitimately purchase games, so at this point if you have a PSP/Vita and it's somehow not modded, well, time to it them and install these.

For the PSP, the npdrm_free plugin basically completely bypasses the DRM on download titles. This means if you have legitimate purchases on a PSP memory stick, you can swap that stick among other PSPs running the plugin and the titles just work. In fact, all you really need for an effective backup of your download titles is a copy of your memory stick. It's also possible to manually download titles as .pkg files from Sony's CDN and you can use PC tools to extract their contents to a memory stick. Pirates here, share the list of CDN URLs.

For the Vita, the NoNpDrm plugin can't completely bypass the DRM, but it works alongside it. Once you have the plugin enabled, the first time you launch a legitimately purchased title on your Vita, the plugin writes out a license file to your memory stick. With the contents of your memory stick and those license files, you can then launch the same titles on a different Vita also running the plugin. So, for an effective backup of Vita titles you need a copy of your memory stick and have to launch each downloaded title with the plugin enabled to write out the license files. As a bonus, the NoNpDrm plugin will write out a license file for cartridge titles, and using VitaShell you can actually make a backup of your cartridges and then run them off a memory stick as if they were download titles. This is great because, these days, the "memory stick" is often a SD2Vita which takes up the cartridge slot. Again, for the Vita its possible to manually download titles as .pkg files from Sony's CDN, and pirates here share a list of CDN URLs along with dumped license keys.

In both cases though, if nobody knows the CDN URLs/keys for things that we otherwise do know are sold on the PlayStation Store, those might be lost forever.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well i got as far as removing the 3g modem from my vita and the first screw came out without a hitch but the second was immediately stripped so rip my vita i guess. turns out it and its lovely overpriced and unreliable memory sucked all along!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

well i got as far as removing the 3g modem from my vita and the first screw came out without a hitch but the second was immediately stripped so rip my vita i guess. turns out it and its lovely overpriced and unreliable memory sucked all along!!!

Scrape a little notch in either side and use a flat head screwdriver to do it instead.

Or hold the bottom end of a ballpoint pen over a flame for a little bit and push it into the hole then wait for it to go hard again and use that to unscrew it.