Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of them are definitely easier than others.

(all spoilers for end/postgame) The Thief, Beastmaster, Bard, Gambler one is one of the easiest, and the Beastmaster's spear is insanely useful for a healer or buffer. That said, if you can crack it, the Phantom, Hellblade, Monk gate is the most important to farm because of the Hellblade sword being completely bonkers good.

Consider taking time out to unseal your bloody shields, too because the result makes your tank nigh-to-invincible.

I did the easiest one, struggled a LOT to beat it, and jumped straight to White Mage, Vanguard, Red Mage, Hunter One and boy is it kicking my rear end

How the hell am I supposed to counter the enemy getting BP every time I do an ability? I feel like I'm really missing something here, I was hoping to get those jobs to 15 before I got into the end of the game but I'll have to settle with having 1 useful job unlocked

I got the Thief Knife which is now by far the best weapon I have even if the passives are not the greatest ever. I think I might go back and just farm that fight for drops for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Level 12 Phantom + Salvemaker does a lot to ease the suffering, because the bosses tend to be very, very susceptible to disables.

It's really boring as a result, but hey!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LiefKatano posted:

Level 12 Phantom + Salvemaker does a lot to ease the suffering, because the bosses tend to be very, very susceptible to disables.

...I did not think of this

Well another reason to level another job to 12! That's what growth eggs and giant JP orbs are for

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How the hell am I supposed to counter the enemy getting BP every time I do an ability? I feel like I'm really missing something here, I was hoping to get those jobs to 15 before I got into the end of the game but I'll have to settle with having 1 useful job unlocked

This is the dumbest thing about the fights. "Counter any ability" is a dumb counterattack, there's no real counterplay. You just need to play it as if the enemy will have 4 BP every turn, no matter what, and focus on one-shotting one or two of them so that it doesn't matter how many BP they have. Figure out which is weakest and Godspeed Strike x4 at the start of the fight on two or three characters, then have the last character spam heals and reraise and hope you get another turn to repeat. Spearhead (the Beastmaster passive) helps.

In some of them you can equip certain items to get an advantage (e.g. the Pictomancer spams an instant KO attack, but if you're immune to instant KO then she basically does nothing). But that's the basic principle of how I won most of them.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 25, 2021

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Contagion also does amazing wonders if you can survive the onslaught while it bleeds em (takes about 10 turns or so). Most enemies AI basically will keep spamming spells or abilities they have not enough mana to cast, so fights get hilariously silly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

berenzen posted:

That math seems off, it takes me more than 2 fights to max out a job when I did beach farming (it's ~6000 jp to go from job level level 1 to level 12)

It is, I watched another video and looked at how much the exp gain was between runs.

The jp number at the top of the post battle screen already includes the battle multiplier.

It doesn't include the passive ability jp boost number though (which makes sense as this will vary per character it's equipped on).

So a single run of the beach gives ya about 2000jp.

That's about the same as killing the snake boss 4 times.

With how much faff it is to wrangle enemies and fight the battles, the boss is better for farming.

Presumably there's a better end game farming approach though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Kin posted:

Not really, at least that I've found. There are other world bosses that give you more JP per fight, but they have no easy way of respawning them so it cancels out in the end. It's hard to beat just how fast you can get into a fight with that snake, wipe the floor with it, and respawn it in under a minute.

The one possible exception is the portal fights, since they can drop 3000 JP orbs. But by the time you can kill those quickly and reliably you don't really need more JP, it's more about the asterisk weapons.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"Counter any ability" is a dumb counterattack, there's no real counterplay."

I got a lot of milage out of Equalizer, on the Bravebearer/Black Mage/Bastion gate. Really I got a lot of Milage out of it period at the very end.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ramc posted:

I got a lot of milage out of Equalizer, on the Bravebearer/Black Mage/Bastion gate. Really I got a lot of Milage out of it period at the very end.

I really wish stuff like this was more viable, it's just kind of sad that so many of the game's challenges (including that one) can be solved so much more easily by "All-cast Reraise, then Godspeed Strike x4/Ultima Sword+HP/MP Converter/Across the Board" than doing anything interesting. Well, I guess the second thing is a little interesting, at least, but it would be nice if it didn't demolish practically everything in the entire game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Per usual, I hate JRPG minigames

BnD is frustrating. Old lady was easy. Boy is considerably harder.

I watched this but I don't understand, at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpz1JVQvRgA

BnD is basically othello except you get to put multiple pieces on the board at a time. Basic strategy I used to win everything through S rank is:

1) take corner
2) take adjacent corner
3) flank
4) win

As the opponents go up in rank you'll need to deal with them neutralizing your squares and using cards that do poo poo like disable use of cards that occupy x number of squares, but sticking to the core strategy of flanking when possible and placing your squares to prevent being flanked is going to win you the game 90% of the time. The Horten card (which converts two neutralized enemy blocks to your color and reinforces them so they have to be flanked / neutralized twice before you lose them) can be won from one of the very first opponents and will take you a long way, and it only gets easier the more cards you get that cover up to 4/5 squares at a time.

Also, the job cards (the ones that don't occupy squares, not the character cards like Horten) are almost all worthless, there's no reason to use them over cards that take up more territory on the board. Some of them will make your cards occupy extra squares, but they also help the other player too, so let the opponent place those for you.

raditts fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 25, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never played othello, but I basically just brute forced it.

I'm not liking these B rank fights where you can potentially lose a card if you lose, especially since you can just save scum to avoid losing the card in the first place.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think I liked the card game more than the actual game but I don't know if there's any good reason to play it in terms of rewards?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Do the super fights have items to steal, or is it only drops?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ragequit posted:

Do the super fights have items to steal, or is it only drops?

Assuming you mean the endgame refights, yes, but it's all high-tier armor/accessories, not on the level of the special class weapons.

The biggest yoink IMO is the Pictomancer refight has Ribbons to steal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So, finally decided I was ready for this game to end, so I set up my beastmaster murder squad and marched through the last bit last night. I think Ninefold Flurry puts Godspeed Strike to shame, a 4x brave with my Swordmaster main / beastmaster sub with dual wield / surpassing power nearly singlehandedly destroyed the final boss, just shaved off a good 120k in the blink of an eye. Mopped up the rest with some godspeed strikes and the boss didn't even have a chance to attack.

As for the ending: I didn't hate it, I guess? I liked the REMEMBEERRRRRRR part in the final battle. Although I fuckin laughed out loud that they took the plot of a Harry Potter book and filed the serial numbers off. And I definitely agree with previous posts saying that it went way too safe with the meta-weirdness, like I thought they'd at least go a little further with integrating the boat stuff into the plot than Seth just going "duhhh, what was that??" like 4 times. And nothing about the villain made sense, like why was Night Nexus lady so obsessed with assimilating everything, and why did the magical knowledge stuff in fairy world turn her into Mumm-Ra, and why did she keep repeating "NEVER FORGIVE NEVER FORGET GRAAAAAAAAAGH" and did they ever explain why Edna hated humans so much and why she wanted to revive the Nexus so much? It just kinda felt like they forgot the plot 3/4 or so of the way in.

To be fair though, it's not as though Bravely Default or Second had a great or coherent plot either, I think it's just that they nailed the weird meta stuff a lot better so it papered over the fact that everything else was mostly a slurry of nonsense.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've never played othello, but I basically just brute forced it.

I'm not liking these B rank fights where you can potentially lose a card if you lose, especially since you can just save scum to avoid losing the card in the first place.

The actual odds of losing a card seem pretty low, out of the 5-10 times I lost a match, I only lost a card once. And all you have to do is go back to the person you originally got it from and beat them again, the Lore section on the options menu tells you who has it. As long as it takes this game to load things, save scumming seems like it would be exhausting.

Eventually you'll find that there are certain people whose card decks are much easier to beat than others, and it's easier to just beat them 5-10 times in a row after you can unlock rule changes and rack up enough points to where you only have to beat other people once and take all their cards in one go.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 25, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kin posted:

It is, I watched another video and looked at how much the exp gain was between runs.

The jp number at the top of the post battle screen already includes the battle multiplier.

It doesn't include the passive ability jp boost number though (which makes sense as this will vary per character it's equipped on).

So a single run of the beach gives ya about 2000jp.

That's about the same as killing the snake boss 4 times.

With how much faff it is to wrangle enemies and fight the battles, the boss is better for farming.

:v: then my math is wrong and the boss is superior!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You know what I actually kind of think is a shame? (True ending spoilers) "The end boss saved her game in your list of savegames and keeps reloading it, and you have to overwrite her savegame" is not a bad twist for a Bravely game. But they don't push the idea nearly hard enough! I'm convinced it's entirely possible to complete the game and not reflect on that at all, especially because all you really need to do is think to yourself "huh, I wonder what that swirly purple thing is" and the game won't really drive the point home for you.

edit: Actually, "thing X is not a bad idea but they don't do enough with it" is emblematic of almost every part of this game that I didn't like.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 25, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You know what I actually kind of think is a shame? (True ending spoilers) "The end boss saved her game in your list of savegames and keeps reloading it, and you have to overwrite her savegame" is not a bad twist for a Bravely game. But they don't push the idea nearly hard enough! I'm convinced it's entirely possible to complete the game and not reflect on that at all, especially because all you really need to do is think to yourself "huh, I wonder what that swirly purple thing is" and the game won't really drive the point home for you.

edit: Actually, "thing X is not a bad idea but they don't do enough with it" is emblematic of almost every part of this game that I didn't like.

Yeah, I didn't realize what that was supposed to even mean until after I'd done it and the characters were talking about destroying the book and it didn't even occur to me that reloading its save was the reason it kept coming back.

It almost feels like they ran out of dev time or something before they could flesh things out enough to make sense. That would track with how dull the game world is outside of the few towns that exist.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 25, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LiefKatano posted:

Thank you for this. I have destroyed the game in half as a result lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s an ability that says “doubles the potential effects of all stat boosts received”. What does this refer to? Does that include stat-ups from equipment?

Also, does Thrust and Parry work with Dual Shields?

LiefKatano posted:

They are????? As in all bosses? Status effects have historically never been useful on bosses because JRPGs train you to expect every boss to resist all status effects. I’m surprised this game is an exception.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It varies a bit - none of them are vulnerable to instant KO, for example - but a startling number of bosses are susceptible to paralysis. It is incredibly possible to stunlock bosses forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

There’s an ability that says “doubles the potential effects of all stat boosts received”. What does this refer to? Does that include stat-ups from equipment?

Also, does Thrust and Parry work with Dual Shields?

They are????? As in all bosses? Status effects have historically never been useful on bosses because JRPGs train you to expect every boss to resist all status effects. I’m surprised this game is an exception.

The big problem with status effects in this game is that their base chance of landing via spells/skills seems really bad, so you need to either use captures (which seem to inflict them at much higher rates) or passives that boost success rates. Then it's just a matter of using stuff the enemy isn't immune to.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pollyanna posted:

Play more jrpgs.

Or just loving try options instead of just going "The only way to beat bosses is GSS spam".

Half the fun of BST and Salve-maker is just slapping all the statuses on everyone all the time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, jeez. I’ll see what I can do.

By the way, is there a use for the monster drops/collectibles? Just yes or no.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Salve maker doesn't really come with a manual of how to inflict status effects so I honestly never used it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Salve maker doesn't really come with a manual of how to inflict status effects so I honestly never used it

All you do is click 1 attack item in your compund list and every possible combo with the herbs is named right there things like "Sleep Bomb" "Poison Bomb" "Big Dread Bomb"

It explicitly gives you the manual you just have to read.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

The FF5 pedigree is grounded in "there's a lot of statuses you can stick on bosses". :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LiefKatano posted:

Pollyanna posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

The FF5 pedigree is grounded in "there's a lot of statuses you can stick on bosses". :v:

When I was first playing this game, I read one reviewer and he was all 'status effects never work so this game is dumb and bad!' and I was just mindboggled about what he was talking about, because status effects are the way to kill every boss in these sorts of games.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All you do is click 1 attack item in your compund list and every possible combo with the herbs is named right there things like "Sleep Bomb" "Poison Bomb" "Big Dread Bomb"

It explicitly gives you the manual you just have to read.

Nah I ain't gonna do all that. All I gotta do is click every possible combo to see what the description is? Wow who could known it was so simple

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nah I ain't gonna do all that. All I gotta do is click every possible combo to see what the description is? Wow who could known it was so simple

you aren't super good at reading are you

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Pollyanna posted:

JRPGs in general maybe, but Bravely has always had its bosses very susceptible to status effects and you are very much rewarded for using them; in BD1 outside of the final bosses and a very select few others, nothing resists most status effects, it's incredibly easy to lock down almost every single boss fight in the game, including late-game rematch bullshit, with a combination of poison and paralysis.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I ain't got patience for all a that bullshit

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I ain't got patience for all a that bullshit

Following this conversation is more reading than using salve-maker constantly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, jeez. I’ll see what I can do.

By the way, is there a use for the monster drops/collectibles? Just yes or no.

Save your Oberon Gems, otherwise no.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You'd be forgiven in this game for not knowing that status effects work on bosses. I whiffed poison five or six times on the first bosses. If I didn't know that they worked because I'd played the prior games I might have reasonably assumed that they were just set to always miss on bosses.

In fact in BD1 most bosses had tremendously high resistance to status, but not immunity. Typically to actually land status effects you had to use custom specials to make them vulnerable to the effect that you were trying to drop on them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just hit level 12 with a whole bunch of jobs like dragoon and beastmaster, etc at the start of chapter 5.

What passives/jobs should i equip on my team to make a silly overpowered farming team that attacks/kills everything in one go, steals rare items from them and captures them?

I think i've got the skills down: the ones from thief for mugging enemies and getting 25% towards rare drops, the berserker one to attack everyone, the beastmaster one to capture enemies and the hellblade one for exceeding damage cap right?

I saw a dragoon skill for full power or something that makes group attack skills do more damage or something so wasn't sure if i should be swapping out the 25% rare items passive for that.

For jobs i was thinking vanguard until I capture more monsters because it seems to have the highest attack stats of all my jobs, but wasn't sure if something like Swordmaster with doubled up axes would end up with more power or something.

Also, money, where the hell do i get loads of that at the beginning of chapter 5? The shops have gear that's way of out my price range at the moment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Basic cleave steal is:

Mug/Magpie/Indiscriminate Rage/Counter Savvy passives.

Add in Swordmaster as job or sub job for Solid stance->Attack 3 times.

That on a Phantom with decent daggers will kill almost everything in the game pretty reliably with the first move and you can just dump it on two characters in case you need clean up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:hmmyes: man I must have totally missed status poo poo in previous games. Oh well.

Good to know I can just sell these scales.

Also, is a magical attack of 227 low for level 50? I know magic is hella underpowered in this game, but drat, Firaga on 4 targets deals about 250 damage at 227 MATK. Level Slash on 4 targets deals like 3500 on average at this point. That is depressing.

I wonder if they just hosed up the calculations?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 25, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kin posted:

I just hit level 12 with a whole bunch of jobs like dragoon and beastmaster, etc at the start of chapter 5.

What passives/jobs should i equip on my team to make a silly overpowered farming team that attacks/kills everything in one go, steals rare items from them and captures them?

I think i've got the skills down: the ones from thief for mugging enemies and getting 25% towards rare drops, the berserker one to attack everyone, the beastmaster one to capture enemies and the hellblade one for exceeding damage cap right?

And set Phantom as your main job for Results Guaranteed, so all those things happen every time for every attack action (although you might get tired of seeing capture / steal messages flashing all over your screen). Not sure if there's a way you can use that without maining Phantom though, since it's not a passive.

If you do use that, then set Aspir Attack as a passive, since Results Guaranteed uses 40mp per guarantee (I think this may just be for the first time per attack though, so for example if you capture 5 enemies with in the same attack using Indiscriminate Rage, it will only charge you 40mp once for the Beast Whisperer usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you do Swordmaster main plus dragoon sub + indescriminate rage and equip two swords, you can pretty much have one character jump once and kill everyone while the rest of your party does whatever