Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

while we're posting art, think this is the cloth map from the deluxe edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

lets hang out posted:

while we're posting art, think this is the cloth map from the deluxe edition

no way could the communist shoot into klaasje's room from the island as depicted in this map

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have to admit the Thought Cabinet seemed to have some cool pictures but they all kinda blended together for me and I can't remember a single one of them. I wish each looked a bit more distinct.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the one line that sticks with me is

Empathy: If you say 'two days maybe' it will be etched in her mind forever.

that whole sequence still makes me a bit emotional. incredibly well written.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So, I’m definitely buying the final cut of this. Been looking forward to it for some time and am grateful to have the opportunity to play it at all. That amount of text doesn’t work for someone who’s got eyesight as lovely as I do.

Anything in particular you should know going into this? It looks real PS:T in terms of your RP potential, which is cool for sure. I’m generally okay with just rolling with my choices, but if there are any stupid gotchas, it would be nice to know.

Also, I’m not going to complain over much, but most of that VO sounds super stiff. I do like the accents though, and like I said I’m just happy to have this game be accessible to me in the first place.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The only big dumb gotcha, IMO, is finding a way to make sure you can pay to rent your room early on in the game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
for only 400€ you too can be as cool as kim kitsuragi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHJW5Jd86M

you can never be as cool as kim kitsuragi

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Really happy that being to fat to fit into this removes my temptation to buy this.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Getting real Sunday Friend vibes from this luxury merch

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Where's my official horrific tie, ZAUM‽

I got a fantastic unofficial one off Etsy, but still.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BurningBeard posted:

So, I’m definitely buying the final cut of this. Been looking forward to it for some time and am grateful to have the opportunity to play it at all. That amount of text doesn’t work for someone who’s got eyesight as lovely as I do.

Anything in particular you should know going into this? It looks real PS:T in terms of your RP potential, which is cool for sure. I’m generally okay with just rolling with my choices, but if there are any stupid gotchas, it would be nice to know.

Also, I’m not going to complain over much, but most of that VO sounds super stiff. I do like the accents though, and like I said I’m just happy to have this game be accessible to me in the first place.

There's two, technically maybe 3 dumb gotcha's:

1) Have at least two points of ENDURANCE and preferably VOLITION at the start, your health meter skills, so you avoid potentially getting a heart attack trying to get your tie from a ceiling fan or get a game over 2 minutes afterward. You also have a SIGNATURE SKILL POINT you can drop in anything to give it an small edge early on after you allocate the regular skill points to start your character, good for rounding stuff out.
2) You are required to pay rent at least twice, once for the first day and once for the second day. After that you're home free almost literally :smuggo:
3) There's also a point relatively early on where you're interviewing somebody and you can get softlocked by not having enough health/medicine and no ability to get out afterward, but that's mostly on poor planning and easily avoidable. Always good to be topped off and/or have some meds in your pocket

Other than that, world's your oyster.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also you can use your health potions at any time, even during conversations and even for a couple seconds after your health hits zero!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

EorayMel posted:

There's two, technically maybe 3 dumb gotcha's:

1) Have at least two points of ENDURANCE and preferably VOLITION at the start, your health meter skills, so you avoid potentially getting a heart attack trying to get your tie from a ceiling fan or get a game over 2 minutes afterward. You also have a SIGNATURE SKILL POINT you can drop in anything to give it an small edge early on after you allocate the regular skill points to start your character, good for rounding stuff out.
2) You are required to pay rent at least twice, once for the first day and once for the second day. After that you're home free almost literally :smuggo:
3) There's also a point relatively early on where you're interviewing somebody and you can get softlocked by not having enough health/medicine and no ability to get out afterward, but that's mostly on poor planning and easily avoidable. Always good to be topped off and/or have some meds in your pocket

Other than that, world's your oyster.

iirc, they patched in a way out of the third one.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks a ton. That’s exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid. The older I get, the less I like those kinds of things in games. We only get so much time to play. Just want to tool around and have fun defining a character without worrying about poo poo like that.

This is less important, but I’m super curious about it. The game is obviously political, and any amount of research will make it very clear where the developers land on the spectrum, and yet they included some pretty repellent political options. I’m a full blown leftist gay space communist, but I’m still curious, do the centrist and rightwards political avenues mock the player for choosing them? It’s interesting how you get this spectrum of political expression, but prevailing culture outside of the game, and all that, makes me wonder how those less tasteful angles are handled by the developers, their own political biases aside.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks a ton. That’s exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid. The older I get, the less I like those kinds of things in games. We only get so much time to play. Just want to tool around and have fun defining a character without worrying about poo poo like that.

This is less important, but I’m super curious about it. The game is obviously political, and any amount of research will make it very clear where the developers land on the spectrum, and yet they included some pretty repellent political options. I’m a full blown leftist gay space communist, but I’m still curious, do the centrist and rightwards political avenues mock the player for choosing them? It’s interesting how you get this spectrum of political expression, but prevailing culture outside of the game, and all that, makes me wonder how those less tasteful angles are handled by the developers, their own political biases aside.

The thought cabinet/perk system also has political thoughts you can internalize for different bonuses, and accepting the fascism thought damages your health every time you say something fascist/right wing, yet rewards you with a bigger physical skill increase by guzzling alcohol. Where consuming alcohol ALSO damages your health. And there is also nothing stopping you from internalizing all the fundamentally different political thoughts at once for a whole hodgepodge of ideologies

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

BurningBeard posted:

IIRC the narration is pretty scathing if you go moralist (centrist). And pretty much the only character the game seems to actively hate and have (almost) no sympathy for at all is a moralist. And fascism goes like EorayMel said, and also makes it pretty clear you're a pathetic loser with the tone the narrator takes. Actually I remember seeing some review where some fash guy was complaining about the game being mean to him.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Remember

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

still my all time favorite

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

to be fair all the political ideologies get pretty roundly mocked, but yeah some definitely more than others

the centrist thought is still one of the greatest pieces of writing in this game

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Staltran posted:

IIRC the narration is pretty scathing if you go moralist (centrist). And pretty much the only character the game seems to actively hate and have (almost) no sympathy for at all is a moralist. And fascism goes like EorayMel said, and also makes it pretty clear you're a pathetic loser with the tone the narrator takes. Actually I remember seeing some review where some fash guy was complaining about the game being mean to him.

Interesting. This is pretty much what I expected. I’m down for authorial intent, and gently caress fascists, but I’m a touch disappointed that the game’s agenda is so transparent. I will say I think it’s pretty awesome that the game has an evident message reflected in mechanics at all. Can’t think of too many games that do a good job of that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can't wait for the lib ideology quest, I have high high hopes.

In other news I snoozed and losed on the 500 dollar jackets :negative:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I took a mix of options because I wanted good results in individual conversations and ended up getting called out in the game hard for my incompatible theories and centrist dithering.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

for only 400€ you too can be as cool as kim kitsuragi

you can never be as cool as kim kitsuragi

Already sold out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can still get the nightmarish thought cabinet mumu, which I certainly respect but lack the confidence to pull off personally

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

coolusername posted:

I took a mix of options because I wanted good results in individual conversations and ended up getting called out in the game hard for my incompatible theories and centrist dithering.

Ok that’s pretty loving cool.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

IIRC for communism and ultraliberal/libertarian Communism is presented as "yes it is heavily flawed, but it at least gives hope out of everything else you can choose" while also the lore makes it clear the communists also lost the revolution in the pre-game story. Because as the skill and thought tied to it puts it, communism is about failure, you see. Mechanically you get a small speech skill boost and every left-wing thing you say gives a small boost of experience.

Ultraliberal/Libertarian, is pretty straightforward: all about free market with no regulation/go capitalism/taxes are actually bad/greed is good money monEY MONEY above everything else. Mechanically you take a big hit to your Empathy, but every capitalist thing you say conjures a small amount of money in your pockets. And moralism/being a centrist mechanically heals you a little bit every time you say a centrist thing, because you don't need to worry about having a potentially contentious side on something and thus makes you feel better because everything is actually good and any change in any direction is no good obviously.

Note that all the political ideologies can be freely mixed/matched by whatever you say and internalize, and can be further combined by your cop archetype: an entirely separate thing such as being an Art Cop who is also a fascist and/or an Apocalypse Cop who is also an ultraliberal and/or a Superstar Cop who is also a communist etc.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

BurningBeard posted:

Interesting. This is pretty much what I expected. I’m down for authorial intent, and gently caress fascists, but I’m a touch disappointed that the game’s agenda is so transparent. I will say I think it’s pretty awesome that the game has an evident message reflected in mechanics at all. Can’t think of too many games that do a good job of that.

To be fair the game isn't exactly super optimistic about communism either.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

While the game at first glance looks like it does the South Park thing of mocking everyone, it quickly becomes apparent that the game directly mocks the ideologies of ultraliberalism (ancap), neoliberalism, fascism and centrism themselves and calls out those who follow them as cowards or evil while the absolute worst it has to say about communism is that it's an impractical dream and it's far more interested in mocking those who use lip service to communism for violent or self-serving ends.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 25, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Staltran posted:

To be fair the game isn't exactly super optimistic about communism either.

"It's about failure."

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Really great answers, thanks goons. If anything I’m more pumped to play it now.

Oh before I forget, does it have object highlighting? And a scalable interface? Both help me a lot, visually speaking.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 25, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

coolusername posted:

I was actually kind of worried about this. Sounds like it really wants you to roleplay quite heavily in one direction or another rather than make people in game feel good/get what you want. Which I suppose is a message in itself?

E: At least it'll be different from most games I play where I just relentlessly lie to everyone so I can get my shiny loot.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

BurningBeard posted:

Ok that’s pretty loving cool.

It definitely is a game that rewards you for really roleplaying a character and leaning into the concept hard, rather than treating it like a “pull each conversation option lever to get +1?romance without considering what your character is saying” type of RPG, and having both internal narration and npcs react to my cowardice approach and terrible “like me I have no principles” conversation dithering was hilarious.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I would encourage doing an ultra liberal playthrough. There are some very funny things you get to say by interpreting all the case details and characters moments through that very absurd lens, and it's not as brutally sociopathic as the fascist one so you still can get the humanist themes imparted by the end. Now I get to do a communist one for my Final Cut playthrough.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

Oh before I forget, does it have object highlighting? And a scalable interface? Both help me a lot, visually speaking.

scalable interface I'm not sure. it does have a function to highlight interactables. you'll enjoy it.

dogstile posted:

I was actually kind of worried about this. Sounds like it really wants you to roleplay quite heavily in one direction or another rather than make people in game feel good/get what you want. Which I suppose is a message in itself?

E: At least it'll be different from most games I play where I just relentlessly lie to everyone so I can get my shiny loot.

roleplaying as an amoral sociopath who lies to people to get what he wants is an utterly valid version of harry

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

coolusername posted:

It definitely is a game that rewards you for really roleplaying a character and leaning into the concept hard, rather than treating it like a “pull each conversation option lever to get +1?romance without considering what your character is saying” type of RPG, and having both internal narration and npcs react to my cowardice approach and terrible “like me I have no principles” conversation dithering was hilarious.

Yeah while I wish games would lean into ideological fluidity in a smooth way, I think it’s hard to do without making the character you’re playing feel nebulous. This kind of thing, tweaking the player’s tendency to try to optimize, is something I really like. Kind of like when player’s are inclined to use the conversation skills in a game because they’re the auto-win dialog button. Obsidian does a nice job with this in a lot of their games where the content of what you’re saying is far more important than the skill you’re using to negotiate the conversation. Sure, you can intimidate that dude, but even if you do so successfully, there may be a negative consequence for it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

Holding ctrl or alt highlights stuff you can interact with, as well as holding shift and/or double-clicking to run from point A to point B. And the more perception you have, more things will actually stick out and can be interacted with

Also :siren: sometimes failing certain skill checks is actually more beneficial than passing them! Don't savescum stuff nor be afraid to just accept and roll with failures. Not all of them are actually bad! :siren:

Also also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not quite the same as a softlock, but a note for new players is that you sometimes can't just pick every conversation option down the list - often picking certain options will advance the conversation in such a way that locks other options. This is normally pretty organic, like as a made up example picking an option that says you hate cats will probably remove the option to cat-sit that you saw on the list below it. But it's worth knowing since a lot of people I've spoken to have said it frustrated them at first because they were just clicking down the list to see All The Lore without considering what they were actually saying in conversations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I think it's so hard on communism because the game makers are from Estonia and are probably reminded every day of what a failed communist state looks like. Even despite that though, they still have socialist leanings because as another poster mentioned, it offers hope even through the failure.

I thought they did it quite well. Also it loving rules to dunk on centrism and fascism. The game would have been a lesser piece of art if it blocked you from those options all together, instead, it gets you to admit your feelings about situations and then guides you into the larger traps of those ideologies. If you continue to press forward it just starts bashing you over the head with how loving stupid you're being.

Can't wait for the final cut!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

dogstile posted:

It made the actual interactions feel way more rewarding IMO. Rather than it being like a trite “give gift, raise relationship bar” where you can simultaneously be a ruthless baby eater and an innocent saint to two different characters by choosing to be what they like, if you do that in this game the game itself kinda pushes you to take your detective more seriously as a character in himself with stances and a personality rather than an empty avatar doing incompatible acts for your goals. And I’m pretty sure if you choose to be a manipulative liar for loot that’s also a valid character personality, there’s the “Suggestion” skill tree which is all about being manipulative.

And I mean I had fun being a dithering moralist centrist anyway, the game definitely wasn’t unfun that way! If anything it was even more funny when an npc is like “somehow he’s both a left leaning communist and believes in the free market. No I don’t get it either.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EorayMel posted:

Holding ctrl or alt highlights stuff you can interact with, as well as holding shift and/or double-clicking to run from point A to point B. And the more perception you have, more things will actually stick out and can be interacted with

Also :siren: sometimes failing certain skill checks is actually more beneficial than passing them! Don't savescum stuff nor be afraid to just accept and roll with failures. Not all of them are actually bad! :siren:

Also also:

I always love any time you fail a check and can go "wait why are all these dialogue options lovely"