Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Has it been mentioned that the MV Ever Given appears to exceed Suezmax? Compared against the Suezmax limits the MV Ever Given appears to exceed the maximum tonnage by ~40,000 DWT and the maximum beam by ~10m.

I'm no expert of course, maybe there's some nuance or margin on the limits idk. That aside it really looks like the ship shouldn't have even attempted to navigate the canal to begin with.

Nah. It was fine to pass through and ships of that size routinely do. There was a confluence of bad weather, a sandstorm, and some sort of power failure on the ship. The ship is less than 4 years old, so I dunno if it is a maintenance issue. It seems more like bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Has it been mentioned that the MV Ever Given appears to exceed Suezmax? Compared against the Suezmax limits the MV Ever Given appears to exceed the maximum tonnage by ~40,000 DWT and the maximum beam by ~10m.

I'm no expert of course, maybe there's some nuance or margin on the limits idk. That aside it really looks like the ship shouldn't have even attempted to navigate the canal to begin with.

HarmB posted:

It's still within all the actual limits of the canal though. Under regular rules(https://web.archive.org/web/20161114134414/http://www.antaresegypt.com.eg/suez_rules.pdf) you can go up to 64×∞. Vessels up to 74m can transit unloaded without any special permission, while larger still can get permission to transit.

Had they not lost control of it, it could have easily transited it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What are the odds this ends in some really crazy stuff like them having to try to break a ship in the middle of the suez canal?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

According to Wikipedia at least, Suezmax refers "almost exclusively" to tankers, ""Capesize" refers to bulk carriers too big to pass through the Suez Canal—and needing to go around the Cape of Good Hope—but recent dredging means many Capesize vessels can use the canal", and that pretty much all container ships fall within the size limits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wilderthanmild posted:

What are the odds this ends in some really crazy stuff like them having to try to break a ship in the middle of the suez canal?
Shipfucklers can do some really wild poo poo without breaking the ship so probably 0. Anytime spent on shipfuckling is almost guarenteed to be faster than trying to chop a ship into parts in the desert.

A shipfuckler will usually float wrecks to drive then to breaking yards for example. Breaking is infrastructurally intense, in that the ship pieces are probably gonna sit wherever forever.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Unloading the cargo to a barge or building a coffer day to dig out the prow are way more practical than breaking up the ship.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My personal Crazy Idea is to get inside the prow, build a new watertight bulkhead in there to isolate it from the rest of the hull, then cut it off so the ship can float away with slightly worse hydrodynamics. Leave the prow stuck in the bank as a monument to man's hubris

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2iL36QAvM

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zedprime posted:

Shipfucklers can do some really wild poo poo without breaking the ship so probably 0. Anytime spent on shipfuckling is almost guarenteed to be faster than trying to chop a ship into parts in the desert.

A shipfuckler will usually float wrecks to drive then to breaking yards for example. Breaking is infrastructurally intense, in that the ship pieces are probably gonna sit wherever forever.

Yeah, even the half-sunk Costa Concordia got leveled and floated away to be broken apart instead of breaking it apart where it was.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Tim Hunkin's latest video is on switches and he talks about the action of a switch under high voltage. They're built to connect and disconnect quickly to prevent arcing. However he shows videos of switches at very high voltage substations disconnecting and notes that the switch arms tend to move very slowly with a resulting large and loud arc.

He then notes that he's not sure why they tend to move so slowly and allow the arcing instead of springing open and closed quickly. I find this curious too. Does anyone here in the OSHA thread know why this is?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can we please just get a Jaeger with a racist name to grab it out of there

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks everyone for the info and clarification re the Suezmax thing!

zedprime posted:

There's a fantastic article from 2008 about an outfit called TITAN Salvage which undertook some insane maritime salvage operations including refloating the Cougar Ace RORO. Unfortunately the article is on WIRED and they've got a new hosed-up "paywall" where you're force to register an account to read but you should be able to bypass it by switching to reader view: https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

The Bloop posted:

Can we please just get a Jaeger with a racist name to grab it out of there

what's a racist name? :confused:

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

Tim Hunkin's latest video is on switches and he talks about the action of a switch under high voltage. They're built to connect and disconnect quickly to prevent arcing. However he shows videos of switches at very high voltage substations disconnecting and notes that the switch arms tend to move very slowly with a resulting large and loud arc.

He then notes that he's not sure why they tend to move so slowly and allow the arcing instead of springing open and closed quickly. I find this curious too. Does anyone here in the OSHA thread know why this is?

Same reason you close water valves slowly to avoid pressure spikes due to water hammer. The power lines and transformers have significant electrical inductance and current, and if you interrupt that current quickly the voltage goes way up. Extinguishing an arc quickly will cause higher voltages to appear than drawing it out as far as possible because the current changes more quickly. The disadvantage to this is that you have to design for arcing, but at least in this case it's arcing in one piece of switchgear instead of massive overvoltages everywhere from disconnecting too quickly.

V V V (somebody who isn't dumb like me made a better post below. read it instead)

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 25, 2021

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

"Well there's your problem"

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

what's a racist name? :confused:

It was called Pikey Peril or something.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Fumble posted:

It was called Pikey Peril or something.

Different group of Travelers: https://pacificrim.fandom.com/wiki/Gipsy_Danger_(Jaeger)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Everyone laughed at Mike Mulligan when this started but he is single handedly getting that ship out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

a book I've found in our small office library:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zero One posted:

Everyone laughed at Mike Mulligan when this started but he is single handedly getting that ship out.

Nah. The red line there is the waterline. At the back of the ship, it is flush with the top of the water. A massive chunk of that ship is still aground, and they cannot drag it straight backwards to pull it out. The salvage people are literally gonna have to float the front to move it, which may or may not be possible with the cargo on deck.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm no expert in any of this, but I think they should add a second digger.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

They shoulda brought in Bagger 288!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I mean I'm no expert in any of this, but I think they should add a second digger.

Big Beef City posted:

"Guys why don't they just dig it out faster?"

--literally goons.

Oh, fuckin WORD? No one involved in this multi-billion dollar a day fuckup affecting the entire planet has considered this brilliant strategy you've derived after looking at one photo of a boat on twitter. Thank you for this hard hitting commentary

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

*pounding fists on table* NUKE THE BOAT! NUKE THE BOAT!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ok, stop me if this is crazy - but get ten thousand helicopters and tie them to the ship and use that to lift them up. you could strap on a few rocket engines to the bottom of each helicopter for extra lift

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Have they tried tugging the ship yet

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

bury the boat deeper into the sand and use a bunch of cranes to move the cargo from one side of the ship to the other

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Why don't they just lower the sand? Or raise the water level?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1YOijPo.mp4

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

Same reason you close water valves slowly to avoid pressure spikes due to water hammer. The power lines and transformers have significant electrical inductance and current, and if you interrupt that current quickly the voltage goes way up. Extinguishing an arc quickly will cause higher voltages to appear than drawing it out as far as possible because the current changes more quickly. The disadvantage to this is that you have to design for arcing, but at least in this case it's arcing in one piece of switchgear instead of massive overvoltages everywhere from disconnecting too quickly.

Switching circuits open/closed is typically handled by circuit breakers which have very fast operating times (typically less than 83ms). The impulse generated by switching events is considered when designing a substation and choosing equipment so that the insulation in a substation is appropriate based on the expected switching voltages. The speed of interruption isnt a very significant factor in the voltage impulse, the biggest factor is the time difference between when the current is interrupted and when a normal power system 0 crossing would have taken place. A manual switch isnt going to have good control of this value as the arc is an open air and the contacts are parting slowly.

The biggest reason disconnect switches are designed to handle arcing and open slowly is simply cost. If you don’t want to pay for a circuit breaker, you can use a load break switch. Since these switches are operated by hand or small motors and are very large, the opening speed is very slow so arcing is going to exist for a period of time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LifeSunDeath posted:

I like that each rotor blade has a rocket inside it so it can yeet away...would definitely make me feel unsafe just flying it under normal conditions.

Not rockets, just a small explosive to pull out a bolt or something. The forces already acting on the blades are more than enough to send them on their merry way. Ejection seats are pretty metal, but the fundamentals are pretty straightforward.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is the best solution anyone's proposed so far.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Could they fill and empty the ballast tanks over and over? Would that loosen up the poo poo stuck around the prow?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How to run around and challenge everyone to duels.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wesleywillis posted:

Could they fill and empty the ballast tanks over and over? Would that loosen up the poo poo stuck around the prow?

the issue isn't the stuck bulbous bow. It's that the front 1/4 of the ship or so is on land, and they can't drag it straight backwards. Dragging it laterally isn't really an option, so the salvage team will have to float the front to get it to move. Whether they can do that without moving containers is yet to be seen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Kablooey posted:

Have they tried tugging the ship yet

have they tried ramming the ship with a bigger ship?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/TTJlvwf.gifv

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

have they tried ramming the ship with a bigger ship?

That's how you get two stuck ships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I usually stuck with scaling weapons myself but Fire was good if you wanted to do low SL invading like a dick.