Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

learnincurve posted:

“It’s cool” with occasional “oh poo poo this cream is about to go off” (e; you do get the butter milk as well which makes it ever so slightly profitable)

It is way more delicious than your supermarket own brand butters though - I do a thing where I combine it with black garlic and then spread it on toast.

Double cream NEVER lasts to the point where it’s going to go off in our house. Have been wanting to do my own butter at some point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Eddy-Baby posted:

A friend requested a primer on "politics"; they have not been interested in this, ever, but it seems they might be starting to notice that Bad Things are Happening. The recommended reading for this thread seems a bit heavy, though. Any thoughts on what/where I could send them?
If you do have a chat (or series of chats) with them as people have suggested I’d love to hear about how they take each crack-ping milestone along the way

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Wut. German bread is their worst crime against humanity.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel

A German colleague keeps banging on about how the red wine from Pfalz is the best wine in the world, while overlooking that our office is a 1.5 hour drive from Beaune.

This is a strong reason I don't want to move to the Basel vicinity for work - I couldn't hack the cultural arrogance of Germans, Italians, French, and Swiss (the Big Four of oval office countries) all banging on about how their version of a ham and cheese sandwich is superior to all others.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Err are you kidding? Most US states are murder on drink driving. Having an opened bottle of alcohol in your back seat can get you arrested. Getting drunk and sleeping in the back of your turned-off car can get you arrested.

What might make a difference is that you can get a driving licence a lot more easily there than here, which in turn implies a lot more bad, inexperienced drivers on the roads.

I meant more culturally.

You think billy bob cares if he gets shitfaced before driving down to the monster truck rally?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Butternubs posted:

I meant more culturally.

You think billy bob cares if he gets shitfaced before driving down to the monster truck rally?

I think I've mentioned before but I got drunk-driven home by an NYPD officer who then gifted me his spare hat. It was a very weird interaction but was presented as totally normal. In reality, it was only driving down a quiet suburban street late at night, and the dynamics were such that I wasn't willing to make a stand against it (plus I was somewhat judgement-impaired at the time).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/SimsonPete/status/1374695796541640704?s=19

I'm shocked. Shocked.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

Something similar happened when one of her mates got her a freshly killed pheasant (or something, I forget what type of bird) and she had a go at defeathering and butchering it from scratch herself.
It takes a bit of practice, but is pretty quick & easy when you get the hang of it.

...which I haven't done, because I instead just take the wings, feet & head off with a pair of secateurs, slice down the breastbone with a stanley knife, then peel the skin off like a jacket, fillet the breasts & throw them & the legs in a pot with some red wine & chestnuts. Bish bash bosh. There's not much decent meat on the wings anyway, and I'm not a huge skin-eater in general (I tell myself, workshyishly)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is a strong reason I don't want to move to the Basel vicinity for work - I couldn't hack the cultural arrogance of Germans, Italians, French, and Swiss (the Big Four of oval office countries) all banging on about how their version of a ham and cheese sandwich is superior to all others.

It's all a croque of monsieur.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When we were really skint in the 60s, dad used to trundle round after dark in his old morris minor (or whatever it was) knocking off ducks and rabbits, then he'd bring them home, pluck or defur them and wonder why none of us would eat them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

knox_harrington posted:

Wut. German bread is their worst crime against humanity.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel

A German colleague keeps banging on about how the red wine from Pfalz is the best wine in the world, while overlooking that our office is a 1.5 hour drive from Beaune.

This poo poo is good, to the point that when I get stuff sent to my university address from home the padding is German breads instead of bubble wrap.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

suck my woke dick posted:

This poo poo is good, to the point that when I get stuff sent to my university address from home the padding is German breads instead of bubble wrap.

'It's great packing material' is not the slam dunk you seem to think it is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is there any reason to do that other than "it's cool"? like, don't get me wrong, that's a good reason, but does it work out cheaper or does it taste appreciably nicer to churn your own butter?

were i to do that it'd be a case of getting supermarket cream, rather than popping down to see my friendly neighbourhood cow, so it's not a case of starting from better ingredients

i think it's a bit like fresh pasta in that while you absolutely can use a much more convenient product, doing it with fresher ingredients (properly, to a good recipe) makes a superior end result. it's just, who the gently caress has the time to spool spagetti/churn butter.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Failed Imagineer posted:

True. On the other hand when it's office based again you can mix and match the best parts of different cultures' slacking off habits - turn up at 9:30 with the Italians, take 90 minutes for lunch with the French, and leave at 5 on the dot with the Germans - and no-one's the wiser.

I haven't done it but in summer in Basel there seems to be a lot of floating around in the river getting beers from the buvettes you hazily cruise past
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/aug/19/city-swimming-rhine-basel-switzerland-sightseeing

Bit far from the mountains though

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Normal Tory MP things

https://twitter.com/kate_m_proctor/status/1375094581306519557?s=21

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Unsurprisingly I was already beaten for my idea:

https://twitter.com/jonwalker121/status/1375097105275088905?s=20

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

this is actually part of the ritual to bring back thatcher from the dead.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

knox_harrington posted:

True. On the other hand when it's office based again you can mix and match the best parts of different cultures' slacking off habits - turn up at 9:30 with the Italians, take 90 minutes for lunch with the French, and leave at 5 on the dot with the Germans - and no-one's the wiser.

And half-rear end the work you do in the meantime like a Brit

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Isn't Charles Walker the guy who was opposed to the legislation to ban up-skirting?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

A fair point, plus the Swiss approach of having apparently 3x as many national holidays as anywhere else (I assume it's a canton thing)

knox_harrington posted:

I haven't done it but in summer in Basel there seems to be a lot of floating around in the river getting beers from the buvettes you hazily cruise past

I've heard rumours of people putting their work clobber into waterproof bags and then commuting home by floating down the Rhein, which sounds kinda nice. Beats walking around London with a carton of milk anyway

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's all a croque of monsieur.

:hmmyes:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/niallgriffiths/status/1375097163194236930
how long before the government takes over Manchester to put an end to Red Andy's campaign of terror against law-abiding business owners?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MikeCrotch posted:

Rye bread (not pumpernickel) absolutely bangs

Also Italian cheese is superior to French. Fight me, frogs

you guys wanna try some rye bread come to finland

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not sure those countries are worse than Brits and Yanks tbh

His Divine Shadow posted:

you guys wanna try some rye bread come to finland

This may be the first time in human history a Finn has encouraged someone outside of Finland to come to Finland

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

This may be the first time in human history a Finn has encouraged someone outside of Finland to come to Finland

Yeah but "come to Finland" from a Finn has the same energy as "meet me in the carpark in 5 minutes"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mike Gapes just got a tingle down his spine and doesn't know why

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, we're far more "TERFs keep out" lately.

We're just very selective about who gets invited. I've only invited people who piss off the True Finns by daring to exist, for example.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Kate_M_Proctor/status/1375094838715162625

....!?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eddy-Baby posted:

A friend requested a primer on "politics"; they have not been interested in this, ever, but it seems they might be starting to notice that Bad Things are Happening. The recommended reading for this thread seems a bit heavy, though. Any thoughts on what/where I could send them?

It's frustrating that there's not really a great place to point to imo.

The Establishment by Owen Jones is the closest thing I can think of as a UK primer but its not perfect.

I guess I'd do neoliberalism and how it's relatively recent and doesn't work rather than orthodoxy

BBC is state propaganda, the other major magazines are products that sell narratives

Security state meddles and lies habitually that's their job

The vast majority of voters trust what theyr told by whatever media they glance at without checking

The parties and media currently represent the same broad class but that was not always the case.

I dunno maybe we should make a wiki

E oh you gotta have culture war in there too and the two opposing sides of stuff that doesn't affect the powerful that were allowed to argue endlessly about and every genuine major issue gets folded into

E2 and unaccountability + power = cruelty 99 times out of 100 and we have at least 3 major state organisations that are defined by being unaccountable including parliament

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 25, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc imagine running out to the shop for a pint of milk and a Tory MP starts staring you down and trying to chat

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The Shock Doctrine is quite good as an overview of not just capitalism as it relates to disasters but also neoliberalism generally. It's the first thing I read other than Chavs that gave me a good grounding in how poo poo works and why it doesn't actually work for anyone but the wealthy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

What’s that Elsie??? an opportunity to tell people how to make their own spreadable butter!!!!!!

kenwood mixer + the ball whip (fneh fneh) attachment. You want two large double creams, set it going at 3 and let it go from standing constituency till it starts to break down into a yellow liquid. Panic that you hosed up, keep it going until all of a sudden your ball is full of butter, and the rest is butter milk.

Pour the butter milk off and keep for pancakes and Extract butter from between wires.

Now loads of people wrap the butter in muslin at this point but I can never be arsed, plunge into cold water and kneed and squeeze till butter milk stops coming out.

Put back in food processor with 1/4 tsp of salt and beater attachment, set it going and add a splash of olive oil to make it spreadable.

Use quickly or freeze half for later use because you’ve done it in your kitchen and it’s the buttermilk you won’t have got out that will send it off in a week.

I just use a cheese slicer (scandi type) on regular blocks butter. I never need to spread butter and I can keep it cold. My grandfather taught me this trick.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Just got jabbed with the AZ gear. Hoping for mild but noticeable side-effects so I can stay in bed and be doted on all weekend.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Mike Gapes just got a tingle down his spine and doesn't know why

A cross-party committee on milk featuring Gapesy, Walker and Tim Farron.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29bR_PM37kU

One for the boomers in the chat

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jakabite posted:

The Shock Doctrine is quite good as an overview of not just capitalism as it relates to disasters but also neoliberalism generally. It's the first thing I read other than Chavs that gave me a good grounding in how poo poo works and why it doesn't actually work for anyone but the wealthy.

Shock doctrine is very good, the owen jones' books are good.

but if we're talking someone who is in the early "Something is wrong with society and I'm not sure what" phase they may not want to immediately commit to a booklist. So if that's the case, despite the internet and the left having moved on in the last 8 years, Pervert's Guide to Ideology is an incredible 2 hour attack on the idea of impartiality and ideology as used by right-wingers to obscure their actions, and I've never met anyone who watched it and ever said "I don't have an ideology" again.

If someone internalises that idea of ideology as the posh word for things you think and feel and do, they end up doing the criticism of media themselves.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

sebzilla posted:

FINALLY the unity this country has been craving

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Funny you say that...

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1375104074320912385?s=21

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
He’s not wrong about the descent into authoritarianism but it’s not around masks and vaccines. He so nearly got the point but then missed it by mikes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ok so Charles Walker was chair of the House of Commons Procedure Committee for 8 years, it was given to him as a sweetner after losing the speaker elections to Bercow. He’s your “classic Tory” ok on LGBT+ rights but far too interested in his select committee work to do anything but vote the party line.

and was until this exact moment seen by most parliamentary nerds as “relatively sane for a Tory”

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1375068894080163843?s=19

can't help but feel there's some rather relevant context bring glossed over here :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Help me with the milk thing. Why would he need to carry milk when walking round London?