Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

graph posted:

yeah i was gonna say what discount rear end daycare are you using

i know folks across the country paying 4 figures/mo per kid

iirc the daycare i sent my kids to was $1400 a month and it wasn't even particularly nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

iirc the daycare i sent my kids to was $1400 a month and it wasn't even particularly nice

we were paying $2k for an infant in a completely middle of the road place in west san jose a couple years ago

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
We were paying about $300 a month for public daycare, but as of last year they made it free for kids from 3-5 years old. :toot:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rotor posted:

my boss has a 3 year old and a 6 year old and i literally cannot imagine how hard that has been over the last year
It's been emotional and zero work got done.

rotor posted:

People always make fun of euro wages before realizing how much we *don't* pay for stuff. Daycare is about $140/month here and it's *nice*. Healthcare costs barely even register.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

surely you missed a digit in front

25/day for the oldest, so if he went all five days it’d be 500/month. on par with other places around here. maybe it’s because we’re in a smaller metro area or something. idk.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
we have an in home sitter we pay 14 an hour so about 84 a day for 3 days a week. those are the only 3 days I get anything done and mine isn’t even fully walking yet.

the sitter is great, they’re in the same classes as my partner (upper level biology stuff), speak only Spanish to the kiddo (and me, I’m learning too), reinforce sign language and all that stuff. I’d love to use a daycare but I’m terrified of the outside world so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the best sign language to teach your preverbal toddler are the signs for "more" and "done"

i used to be down on it but it's actually come in handy for mealtimes esp after coming home from daycare for the day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. we’ve done that with both if our kids. “please” has been more difficult to get to stick for some reason...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the best sign language to teach your preverbal toddler are the signs for "more" and "done"

i used to be down on it but it's actually come in handy for mealtimes esp after coming home from daycare for the day

Since like... 2 months we have been showing the baby babble videos from http://www.talkingchild.com/ (bought them on amazon prime video to support the makers, but I hear you can stream it on youtube). These videos are made by child speech pathologists and introduce lots of sounds, concepts, and sign language things in a really engaging way. The first time I watched them it gave me like Avant Gard vibes but it really works. We reinforce the concepts in the videos all the dang time!

Baby has been doing signs since about 7 months and since a few weeks ago has been stringing them together like "more" and "milk" (which is used interchangeably with food and context rules here)

I'm always amazed at how smart these lil people are. The other day i dropped somthing and said "oh gently caress" and I swear i heard a real mumbled unarticulated "oh gently caress" from behind me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my toddler doesn’t mimic very accurately yet so i still feel safe swearing around him

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the important thing about swearing is to not panic and react strongly when they repeat it

my wife almost got into an accident a few weeks ago and my 3yo said "OH poo poo" a few times afterwards but since we didn't react to it (aside from quietly lmaoing around the corner from her) she doesn't think it is something she should remember to say more often

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that’s how we treat it, yeah. i just tell my oldest to be careful when he uses it and around who, and he practically never swears (that i hear)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'm always amazed at how smart these lil people are. The other day i dropped somthing and said "oh gently caress" and I swear i heard a real mumbled unarticulated "oh gently caress" from behind me

my 1 year old is juuuuuust about to come up on the "language explosion" but she's been mimicking sounds for awhile now, the funniest is when she'll grab her little coat and just start murmuring "shoosh shoosh shoosh" (shoes) because she wants to go outside

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

when mine was ~10 months old she PERFECTLY parroted the phrase "raspberry jam" and then didn't make another english-sounding word again for another couple of months

if my wife and I hadn't've both been there for it I would have sworn I was hallucinating

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my pro parenting tip is to always have subtitles on the TV. Both my kids learned to read really well and really early and I give the "just leave the subtitles on for Blues Clues" strat lot of credit for that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

my pro parenting tip is to always have subtitles on the TV. Both my kids learned to read really well and really early and I give the "just leave the subtitles on for Blues Clues" strat lot of credit for that.
same but first picked it up when we didn't want to wake the baby

they can be iffy for live broadcast tv but for streaming they're almost always timed well and accurate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what the gently caress is "live broadcast tv??"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

something old people watch. idk man.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
so it's like streaming?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

the important thing about swearing is to not panic and react strongly when they repeat it

my wife almost got into an accident a few weeks ago and my 3yo said "OH poo poo" a few times afterwards but since we didn't react to it (aside from quietly lmaoing around the corner from her) she doesn't think it is something she should remember to say more often

this is my approach too and it occasionally leads to hilarity

like when my daughter was 4 i was mildly scolding the dog for something and she said ‘he’s a loving dog isn’t he daddy’. my wife gets pissed at him and says ‘loving dog!!!’ kinda often

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I swear like a loving sailor and done it like, twice in front of our kids. As mentioned previously the trick is to not react if you don't want them to pick it up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so it's like streaming?

it’s streaming for expensive psports

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
i’m currently looking after a 5 month old (as of yesterday!) all day in addition to trying to work on my thesis and teaching a class this semester. you can probably guess which of those things isn’t getting worked on a lot lol

also holy gently caress i severely underestimated how exhausting it is to try and entertain someone with a 5 minute attention span for 12 hours a day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that is loving brutal :stare:

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

President Beep posted:

that is loving brutal :stare:

it’s honestly not so bad, plus now that the vaccine is widely available here we feel a lot more comfortable looking into daycare. be nice to have a few days a week since my dad also died in january and there hasn’t really been time to process that yet

helluva year so far, really

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The ongoing, losing battle against screen time probably makes a lot more sense now. Most days daddy is able to juggle things but some days daddy just needs to pull out the old hynotoad for the kids and get some work done.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JFC that’s.... a lot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TimWinter posted:

The ongoing, losing battle against screen time probably makes a lot more sense now. Most days daddy is able to juggle things but some days daddy just needs to pull out the old hynotoad for the kids and get some work done.

i was fighting it for a while but then my kids schools said "from now on all students will have ipads and do their homework on ipads and read their lessons on ipads" and i fuckin gave up, sorry kids i did my best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we do around an hour or so of tv after daycare, which is highly, highly contingent on no tantrums, esp tantrums arising from bathtime/turning the tv off

i was disturbed the other day when i had just wrestled the 1 year old into the high chair for her dinner and the 3 year old requested "some tee bee dee" and when it was switched on the 1 year old started clapping and got all excited about it

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
my kid started clapping at particularly good renditions of her favorite books, esp if I sing the words. just melts my heart every time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

babby status is currently "no sleep for more than an hour at a time thanks" and also "father is dead to me, if he holds me I will only scream as he reminds me of my own mortality"

so that's not great

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Our kids get about 45mn of screen time/day on the weekend. The critical part is that they have to agree on what to watch, and if they fight it goes away.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

babby status is currently "no sleep for more than an hour at a time thanks" and also "father is dead to me, if he holds me I will only scream as he reminds me of my own mortality"

so that's not great

it can feel real fucken bad when kids get like this but my wife and I always say "daddy forever, for now!" (or "mommy forever, for now!" as appropriate) to remind eachother that the non-chosen parent hasn't failed or permanently been exiled, its just a lil phase and they'll be obsessed with you again in no time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah my daughter went through a 2 or 3 month long phase at around 4 or 6mos where she wanted nothing to do with me and would scream and cry if anyone except mom held her but at that point it was our second child and i was just thankful for the rest

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my now 1 year old was almost exclusively changed and dressed and bathed and brought outside and basically everything beyond holding and nursing by me for her first 4ish months of life because my wife broke both her legs at work when she was 7 months pregnant, and at the time we lived in a place with stairs (all the tubs and bedrooms were upstairs there)

but now that she can walk again and still feed her directly from her body guess who is the favored parent

otoh thanks to that time her older sister still rates me as the Master of Bedtime whose unquestioned authority is spake unto her from the lord. somehow i occupy both this position and the "fun parent" slot, so idk, kid brains are weird

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my wife broke both her legs at work when she was 7 months pregnant

:stonk:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah seriously that's insane how the hell did you manage to keep it together? I'd have had a breakdown

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the funniest thing was in the delivery room, everyone kept telling us how they'd never had someone give birth in two leg casts before

part of my job during delivery was to keep each leg in precise positions so that they didn't accidentally re-fracture during the pushing (they didn't, everything went fine)

but yeah it was tough, if you're immobilized enough you hafta poop in this bucket thing which is gross. and learning how do deal with a wheelchair is tough if you're pregnant, since it's not like you can safely fall if you gently caress up transferring (sliding along a board to get into or out of the chair). i actually tore a buncha muscles in my arm trying to catch and arrest her fall once, that sucked - i couldn't lift my arm for like three weeks after that

but we got help from our parents, and rented one of those SNOO vibrating bassinets which is straightup magic for newborns, and finished forming babby right before the pandemic hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

surprised they didn't just say "ok c-section it is"