Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/08/08/national/social-issues/uighurs-japan-speak-plight-kin-back-china/

I'm sure these Uighurs in Japan with similar allegations of disappearances to the account posted earlier in the thread also work for the US state department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ram dass in hell posted:

almost certainly huh, well then I'm sure you can demonstrate that with evidence
loving look at the definitions of genocide used to establish consensus on the United States committing genocide at the southern border and tell me that rounding up entire ethnic groups and putting them in an internment camp doesn't meet it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

loving look at the definitions of genocide used to establish consensus on the United States committing genocide at the southern border and tell me that rounding up entire ethnic groups and putting them in an internment camp doesn't meet it.

the united states is not committing genocide on the southern border. give it a couple of years for the climate refugee waves to start hitting, then we'll most certainly be gunning people down in the open

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dolphin posted:

Why bother?

https://shahit.biz/eng/#evidence

We can start here I suppose. Folks do these people work for the state department?

this might be good proof of ongoing state oppression against a state minority, which is not being denied. it is not evidence of genocide or death camps

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://bitterwinter.org/in-xinjiang-its-the-cultural-revolution/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Quit beating around the bush and just loving say you believe that actually, re-education camps are good when communist countries do them.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Quit beating around the bush and just loving say you believe that actually, re-education camps are good when communist countries do them.

There are no existing communist countries. If a communist country did a reeducation camp it would be good by definition.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

don’t shift the discussion now to try and assert people are claiming there is no state repression in china

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

the united states is not committing genocide on the southern border.
Okay time out I thought c-spam consensus was pretty clear on this one.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

well their sources certainly seem to be beyond reproach

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

There are no existing communist countries.
Tell that to the people itt who think Kim-Jong Un is "a victim of anti-communist propaganda"

Serf
May 5, 2011

this book seems to be about the cultural revolution, with a surrounding push to say that what is happening in xinjiang today is the same thing. not sure this one holds up

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

i mean i could be the odd man out here but i've only seen concentration camp rhetoric, not death camp.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Comrade Koba posted:

well their sources certainly seem to be beyond reproach, gonna say it's all legit

drat how does that name show up everywhere lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

Why bother?

We can start here I suppose. Folks do these people work for the state department?

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1289523972862668801
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1316777350789500928
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1287426960965197825

love too be a China watcher

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
actually re-education camps are good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

wait is there evidence that biden is systemically exterminating refugees on the border? that is hosed up, and i’m against it

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The consensus is that the US has concentration camps. These have a long and horrible history in the united states and elsewhere, as most innovations of the British empire do. These are not extermination camps.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

love too be a China watcher

lmao every loving time

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Again, there are multiple overlapping definitions of genocide, so it can be reasonable to say the US is committing genocide at the border and also reasonable to say that the US isn’t committing genocide at the border.

That’s why arguing over the word without discussing which definition you are using is a distraction, almost like it is intentionally used to shift the conversation away from reality and towards labeling individuals as deniers to try and hurt their credibility.

Serf
May 5, 2011

THS posted:

wait is there evidence that biden is systemically exterminating refugees on the border? that is hosed up, and i’m against it

not so much "systematically exterminating" as "detaining in horrific conditions and then chaotically exiling back to an uncertain fate in places turned to poo poo by american intervention"

its all very neoliberal, very hands-off. the most enterprising refugees will make it back, the others will not. the free market at work

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Candy posted:

The consensus is that the US has concentration camps. These have a long and horrible history in the united states and elsewhere, as most innovations of the British empire do. These are not extermination camps.

lmao i got called a genocide denier when i expressed skepticism that there were mass graves just outside of ICE facilities

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is pathetic dude

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Serf posted:

not so much "systematically exterminating" as "detaining in horrific conditions and then chaotically exiling back to an uncertain fate in places turned to poo poo by american intervention"

its all very neoliberal, very hands-off. the most enterprising refugees will make it back, the others will not. the free market at work

yeah sorry i was flippant, i just want to be careful on terms - if only because this entire thread is essentially about what terms should be used to describe what and if people should be banned for using the wrong terms

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dolphin posted:

This is pathetic dude

were you expecting that you would drop a web URL and all your opponents would be defeated by the incontrovertible evidence? that no one would look into the source

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Serf posted:

the united states is not committing genocide on the southern border. give it a couple of years for the climate refugee waves to start hitting, then we'll most certainly be gunning people down in the open

forcibly removing children from their parents and putting them into homes from someone of a different culture is 100% a genocide and it 100% happened along the southern boarder

i think a lot of the confusion coming from people here is that genocide doesn't just mean death camps

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

This is pathetic dude

refute it

THS posted:

yeah sorry i was flippant, i just want to be careful on terms - if only because this entire thread is essentially about what terms should be used to describe what and if people should be banned for using the wrong terms

not that our opinions matter, but people should not be probed or banned for using the wrong terms or expressing skepticism, and terms should not themselves be banned (lol d&d). probes and bans should be reserved for active cheerleading of these efforts imo

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

were you expecting that you would drop a web URL and all your opponents would be defeated by the incontrovertible evidence? that no one would look into the source
https://www.utjd.org/

No I was expecting exactly what I said would happen where I can drop literally 1000 pages of documents in this thread and you idiots will search tweets about the author and post them like you've made another slam dunk

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also to take a step back and reiterate on the point of this thread, i dont think any of the discussion so far constitutes thoughtcrimes so bad that it has to be purged from cspam, regardless of what point of view they have been arguing

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

No I was expecting that exactly what I said would happen where I can drop literally 1000 pages of documents in this thread and you idiots will search tweets about the author and post them like you've made another slam dunk

what makes it not a slam dunk to point out that his methodology is bad and his motivations aren't what he claims? also his ties to adrian zenz are pretty lolworthy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/08/08/national/social-issues/uighurs-japan-speak-plight-kin-back-china/

I'm sure these Uighurs in Japan with similar allegations of disappearances to the account posted earlier in the thread also work for the US state department

https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1373786051513303047

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

Why bother?

Literally no way of knowing from looking at that site. They've got information about looking for both paid and unpaid volunteers but im finding no information about their funding. Tried to download a couple of their lists but got File Missing errors so really I can't tell if maybe this is one of those thing that someone wants someone to look at the surface and go "oh this is terrible" when its in fact all just made up, like the NYT linking to chinese articles which are about something completely different from what they're claiming they are.

What i've always been taught about evaluating sources is to first find out who is paying for it, so uh, who's paying for these paid volunteers?

And im not finding anything proving a genocide, only state oppression, which is not the same thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dolphin posted:

No I was expecting that exactly what I said would happen where I can drop literally 1000 pages of documents in this thread and you idiots will search tweets about the author and post them like you've made another slam dunk

hate to tell you this but the author stating that their content cannot be considered factual does, indeed, debunk the idea of using their content as a factual source

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

forcibly removing children from their parents and putting them into homes from someone of a different culture is 100% a genocide and it 100% happened along the southern boarder

i think a lot of the confusion coming from people here is that genocide doesn't just mean death camps

At times it feels less like confusion and more like an intentional rhetorical choice, along the same lines as "actually the United States is responsible for the Holocaust because Hitler got all his ideas from Jim Crow."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

refute it

not that our opinions matter, but people should not be probed or banned for using the wrong terms or expressing skepticism, and terms should not themselves be banned (lol d&d). probes and bans should be reserved for active cheerleading of these efforts imo

Agreed 100%

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Usually considering the background, funding, and reputation of an author is an absolutely normal activity when researching complex and controversial issues.

Like, it does actually matter if the “scientist” claiming global warming is fake also gets paid by the American Petroleum Institute.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
lol i saw someone posting refutations by grayzone, a site that shamelessly posts russian propaganda. look, adrian zenz is bad and a cia plant, but this platform started a month after blumenthal visited moscow and suddenly changed his views 180 degrees... are very good

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Dolphin posted:

This is pathetic dude

The Xinjiang victims database openly admits that their data is not reliable so I don't see how that counts as evidence
https://shahit.biz/eng/#faq

quote:

Do you fact check all submissions? No, as this is too cost-prohibitive (given our resources) and often impossible (given the information vacuum in Xinjiang). For the most part, shahit.biz operates passively and imports data from a mix of public sources – such as video testimonies and media reports – and official documents, reporting as accurately as possible the information conveyed in the original source. It is outside our scope and ability to go out and corroborate each and every testimony. However, it is not rare for specific cases to become corroborated naturally over time, as new information comes in and we add it to the existing victim entries. Additionally, we do have staff dedicated to searching the Chinese internet for information about the documented victims, which sometimes yields corroborative information about their identities or, less frequently, about their detentions. Occasionally, though not very often, victims reported by people outside of China will also show up in the official government documents that we have limited access to. In the case that we receive an unsolicited submission from someone we do not know and whose identity we cannot immediately verify, we typically reach out to that person via e-mail so as to get additional details and to confirm their identity. Unsolicited submissions for which we cannot verify the submitting party nor corroborate the content are usually not accepted

How reliable is your data? It depends entirely on the victim(s) in question and on what you want to do. It should go without saying that reports about a given victim’s situation – even those sourced from official government documents – are only data points and should not be treated as cold facts. This is particularly true with Xinjiang, where even such a trivial task as calling a police station to confirm someone’s detention is either extremely difficult or impossible or even dangerous, with police refusing to discuss and hanging up over 90% of the time (and not saying anything helpful the other 9.99%). Consequently, the best way to process the data that result is by considering a LOT of it, searching for patterns, and using a certain amount of common sense. If the thermometer in your kitchen reads 30 degrees while the thermometer in your basement reads 15, it is unlikely that either represents the true temperature of your home, but – taken together – can still let you know that it is somewhere between these extremes and not, say, -5. If you are only looking at a few particular victim cases, then our best advice is for you to use us purely as a facilitator and to go through the cases yourself – analyzing the original source material that we have conveniently summarized for you and deciding for yourself what you think of it. If you are looking at large samples and don’t have time to analyze each victim entry in detail, then we suggest making use of our quality-rating system and restricting yourself to Tier-1 and Tier-2 entries only (high- and medium-quality entries) with the help of our filters page. In our experience, these entries are generally fairly reliable, as they are usually characterized by multiple testifiers, greater detail, and – in some cases – independent corroboration. Please do reach out and ask our opinion, however, as there are occasional nuances that may be difficult to grasp.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Somaen posted:

lol i saw someone posting refutations by grayzone, a site that shamelessly posts russian propaganda. look, adrian zenz is bad and a cia plant, but this platform started a month after blumenthal visited moscow and suddenly changed his views 180 degrees... are very good

lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

At times it feels less like confusion and more like an intentional rhetorical choice, along the same lines as "actually the United States is responsible for the Holocaust because Hitler got all his ideas from Jim Crow."

where's the lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gringostar posted:

It's like Trabisnikof said, theres multiple definitions so it depends on how technically correct you want to be. Are the camps designed to kill them? No, they're designed to make more money for private contractors and deter more refugees and immigrants. They aren't designed to kill, so in that way they aren't a genocide... but people do die there due to the horrific conditions which the US is engaging in due to lack of care, humanity and because it makes more money. In that way, it is a genocide.

THS posted:

also to take a step back and reiterate on the point of this thread, i dont think any of the discussion so far constitutes thoughtcrimes so bad that it has to be purged from cspam, regardless of what point of view they have been arguing

Agreed 100%. This has been interesting to read, as someone with little knowledge of the situation outside of cultural osmosis. I do want dolphin to keep posting though, because the combination of cspam style "scream at your opponent" and dnd style "post a source you found on Google you haven't read and assume its a slam dunk" has been entertaining.