Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I always forget about that.

Also it's [Windows Key] + [.] for anyone who don't use "full stop" in place of "period" :raise: But enough off topic chat :v:

Any idea who the new hero is? I saw a news article suggesting Selememe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

If you want to type emojis on windows, winkey + fullstop will open the emoji menu. You can then type to search inside that, or select from it.
Other OSs also have emoji keyboard shortcuts but I don’t remember them.

I was trying to test this and it wasn't working but then realized it's because I have autohotkey set up to disable the win key when a "Dota 2" window is active and apparently that included this thread lol

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Notably with the new player update smurfing is now a bannable offence and it can be reported after games.

This is actually huge and I think it'll make the game much more friendly for new players

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Sab669 posted:

I always forget about that.

Also it's [Windows Key] + [.] for anyone who don't use "full stop" in place of "period" :raise: But enough off topic chat :v:

Any idea who the new hero is? I saw a news article suggesting Selememe

before hood wink came out the data mining folks were saying it was fenrir or something to that effect

Thom and the Heads posted:

This is actually huge and I think it'll make the game much more friendly for new players

people said they were gunna report me or someone else in my games for smurfing the last 3 games i was in, because we played together well and used are spells correctly and owned them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sweet, DOTA is lacking in its number of dog themed heroes.

And I'm sure they'll factor in things like the age of the account / games played / win-loss ratio / games played on a specific hero etc. when determining if something's a "valid smurf report".

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Sab669 posted:

And I'm sure they'll factor in things like the age of the account / games played / win-loss ratio / games played on a specific hero etc. when determining if something's a "valid smurf report".

Yeah I'd imagine there's going to be a few factors that go into the banning decisions.

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1374884668047261696

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having been accused of smurfing for my crime of hitting roughly 50% of my ancient apparition ults because i know to look at the minimap occasionally i'm mostly hoping that they have an at least somewhat rigorous process for vetting this

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

having been accused of smurfing for my crime of hitting roughly 50% of my ancient apparition ults because i know to look at the minimap occasionally i'm mostly hoping that they have an at least somewhat rigorous process for vetting this

😬

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I think it would be incredibly easy to spot a smurf using in-game statistics and looking for their deviation from standards at a given MMR.

Oh, you’re playing Juggernaut? Out of the 25,000 games played in the last week with Juggernaut on Dire against OPPOSING_HERO_SET @ MMR_LEVEL, we can expect with 99.95% confidence that your last hits will be within INTERVAL @ TIME_POINT.

Do that for 15 different metrics tracked over 20 games and... yeah.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're right, we're doomed

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also the Overwatch system now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DNK posted:

I think it would be incredibly easy to spot a smurf using in-game statistics and looking for their deviation from standards at a given MMR.

Oh, you’re playing Juggernaut? Out of the 25,000 games played in the last week with Juggernaut on Dire against OPPOSING_HERO_SET @ MMR_LEVEL, we can expect with 99.95% confidence that your last hits will be within INTERVAL @ TIME_POINT.

Yea, exactly. Oh you have 200 games played and 185 of those are on 1 hero and you regularly stomp? HMMMMM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sab669 posted:

Sweet, DOTA is lacking in its number of dog themed heroes.

They shoulda kept Arc Warden as a gnoll.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Smurfing is one thing, account buyers/boosting is another one too. I think the biggest tell for those, after watching Sing's overwatch cases for a while, is the performance schism when the account gets handed off. It seems reaaaally obvious in dotabuff. Maybe it's not at the same level of systemic problems though?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think they probably don't care about account buying AS much if only because it's mostly some dipshit thinking they're hot stuff and being handed reality again once they buy the boosted account and trash the ranking. in that scenario they'll probably be dragging down some higher-rank games for a little bit before it craters again but that's not as bad as someone intentionally crushing new players. especially since smurfing has way less investment involved.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Making the boosted account in the first place also ruins a bunch of games through smurfing though.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DNK posted:

Sayeth Valve: patch on April 9th w/new hero

I'm excited to see who's self-insert furry OC makes it in this time

DNK posted:

My mmr keeps tanking because of my love of grimstroke and then I use my role queue games to boost it back up, I might look like a smurf :ohdear:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Making the boosted account in the first place also ruins a bunch of games through smurfing though.

Yeah, this was my point, thanks. Presumably as soon as the account is handed off there's another unboosted account getting started and presenting like smurfs. Maybe the booster will just get folded into the smurfing detection, it's basically the same thing, I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was so wrapped up in the schadenfreude of someone buying a boosted account and beefing it hard afterwards that i forgot the smurfing needed to make the boosted account to begin with

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's really not that difficult to spot smurfs versus people that are just having a great game, despite what Reddit says. Their in-game profile usually looks abnormal in several ways. It's probably even easier for Valve so I don't know why they're relying on player reports for this.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's really not that difficult to spot smurfs versus people that are just having a great game, despite what Reddit says. Their in-game profile usually looks abnormal in several ways. It's probably even easier for Valve so I don't know why they're relying on player reports for this.

1. make it a report option so people think they are actually banning smurfs unlike the last one hundred updates to the dota blog saying they are banning smurfs

2. there is no step 2

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Surprised that this thread is so dead. Last page has posts from November. Is the Pro dota thread the more active one?

I haven't played regularly in 7 years but I wish I could get my friends to get in on it. Maybe this update will help.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

KingKapalone posted:

Surprised that this thread is so dead. Last page has posts from November. Is the Pro dota thread the more active one?

I haven't played regularly in 7 years but I wish I could get my friends to get in on it. Maybe this update will help.

The vast majority of dota fans, especially those who post on the internet love watching dota but don't really want to spend their time playing it because its a very time consuming and punishing game and there are lots of more entertaining games that are less stressful.

Then you have my buddy who just had his 2nd kid and hasn't played anything non dota since starcraft 2 came out and still is quite happy with one death prophet game every night as 1am.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
dotes dads checking in

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My group and I have all resolved to start expanding our hero pools. I've decided I want to play Chen because our go-to Mid player has been spamming the poo poo out of Brood so another early pusher sounds cool and good and I don't like BM/Lycan. I played him last night and we lost, for a variety of reasons, but one of the biggest issues I had is... I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing for the early levels where Holy Persuasion can't take over any decent jungle creeps? Do I just stay in lane until like Level 4 and then gently caress off to the Jungle? Should I be stealing enemy Ranged creeps, or bring in one of the dudes from the safe lane pull camp?

Edit: Also wtf do you even do when you're losing and can't even go into your jungle to restart your menagerie :( just be sad?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 26, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Playing Chen well requires you to know which of the small creeps are secretly insanely busted and lane winning. Like Harpy Stormcrafter is very strong if you can feed it mana with Ring of Basilius and Hill Troll Priest. And Ghost does a tonne of damage and slows.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

My group and I have all resolved to start expanding our hero pools. I've decided I want to play Chen because our go-to Mid player has been spamming the poo poo out of Brood so another early pusher sounds cool and good and I don't like BM/Lycan. I played him last night and we lost, for a variety of reasons, but one of the biggest issues I had is... I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing for the early levels where Holy Persuasion can't take over any decent jungle creeps? Do I just stay in lane until like Level 4 and then gently caress off to the Jungle? Should I be stealing enemy Ranged creeps, or bring in one of the dudes from the safe lane pull camp?

Edit: Also wtf do you even do when you're losing and can't even go into your jungle to restart your menagerie :( just be sad?

All of what you are saying is why i don't play dota anymore. Someone out there has put enough hours in to solve the chen questions you are asking and they have much more free time than you or i ever will

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I have plenty of time to play. I'm single, and sure I do work full time / have 2 dogs to take care of / rock climb regularly, but outside of that I basically just play DOTA. I've gotten 107 games in in the last month, according to dotabuff. Been playing pretty regularly for the last 3 months. Of my 3K games played total, the overwhelming majority of those are pre-2016 and I've transitioned more towards the "Yea I'll re-install DOTA and play for a little while" phase but I still do play a lot.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I mean thats cool man and it is absolutely not my place to tell you what games to play like i said earlier my mate has 2 young kids and only squeezes in a few games a week in the middle of the night but at some point most dota players seem to have a revelation that its just not worth your time. If you still enjoy it then ride that wave brother

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In general I just don't get "tilted" like many players do. Laugh it off when I / pubbies / friends do dumb poo poo. I'm never gonna go pro but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. I'm not gonna be a pro climber either but I still do it.

And I mean during the worst time line, what else is there to do? Paint my Warhammer minis I can't even play with? Play boring repetitive AAA video games that don't make me think? Why do anything nihilism.txt 🙃

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

And I mean during the worst time line, what else is there to do? Paint my Warhammer minis I can't even play with?

Pretty good suggestion to be honest. I did consider doing some dota hero conversions with warhammer models but i realised it would be expensive and a lot of work :classiclol:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I want to buy Cursed City explicitly because of this dude who looks like Necrophos:

And I did manage to assemble ~2 whole Plague Marines~ earlier this week, which is the most I've done in the last 3 months :negative:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm also old and play like 1 unranked dota game late at night these days and that's about it.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
The new player game mode seems like just what I always wanted.. but all my games are all bots. I assume it is trying to cut down on queue times, but it only makes me wait a minute and then just dumps me into a bot game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

baby puzzle posted:

The new player game mode seems like just what I always wanted.. but all my games are all bots. I assume it is trying to cut down on queue times, but it only makes me wait a minute and then just dumps me into a bot game.

Part of the patch notes mention that if your account doesn't count as "new" you'll always get bots. Was a way to let anyone queue into it, like with parties, without ruining mm. Also lets new players drop and be replaced by bots without leaver penalties.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

Usually start with headdress and aura then harass with right clicks when you can (making sure to be out of creep aggro range when needed, etc). You can be annoying enough to take pressure of your carry in most matches. If you've got a high kill potential carry like Juggernaut you can instead get an early point in pentience and hope for a ghost or something at level 2.

Harpy Stormcrafters are godly for harass, Troll Priests are incredible sustain, and the big ghost is great for kills with it's slow. Satyrs were nerfed but mana burn and purge can both be useful, in the right lane. Gnoll and kobold camps are the bad spawns you can't do much with.

If you're interested in pushing heroes, Keeper of the Light and Jakiro are strong picks right now that are a little easier in lane (though KotL's fairly difficult in some ways, as you can mess up your carry's lane).

Treant Protector and Winter Wyvern are also solid contenders; They're fairly effective against some of the heroes Broodmother has the most difficulty with.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2021

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Winter Wyvern

Just prepare to get yelled at because you hosed up your ult (actually buy Orchid every game and use it to score kills).

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

ILL Machina posted:

Part of the patch notes mention that if your account doesn't count as "new" you'll always get bots. Was a way to let anyone queue into it, like with parties, without ruining mm. Also lets new players drop and be replaced by bots without leaver penalties.

Hmmm, I was afraid that might have been the case. Sure I've played a FEW games, over many many years. Maybe this feature actually isn't for me?

So I think I'll try the request-a-coach feature. Maybe that's where I should be at.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Usually start with headdress and aura then harass with right clicks when you can (making sure to be out of creep aggro range when needed, etc). You can be annoying enough to take pressure of your carry in most matches. If you've got a high kill potential carry like Juggernaut you can instead get an early point in pentience and hope for a ghost or something at level 2.

Harpy Stormcrafters are godly for harass, Troll Priests are incredible sustain, and the big ghost is great for kills with it's slow. Satyrs were nerfed but mana burn and purge can both be useful, in the right lane. Gnoll and kobold camps are the bad spawns you can't do much with.

If you're interested in pushing heroes, Keeper of the Light and Jakiro are strong picks right now that are a little easier in lane (though KotL's fairly difficult in some ways, as you can mess up your carry's lane).

Treant Protector and Winter Wyvern are also solid contenders; They're fairly effective against some of the heroes Broodmother has the most difficulty with.

Much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How come they don't let you have role queue games unless you queue for all 5 roles? Seems like selecting the 3 less desirable roles should give you something, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that want to queue carry/mid.