Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

Who else is stoked about the Windows 10 spring update?? It's going to have Multicamera support for Windows Hello, tons of upgrades to Windows defender so you'll never be a victim of hacking, plus Windowss Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) for support of remote work! It's the most amazing upgrade to an operating system in history and just in time for the new surge in Covid19 cases!

lol this just makes it easier for corporate to lock down your laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

April Fool's Day 4/1

hey me too!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Forseti posted:

Is there an easy way to check your vaccination history? I'm about 95% sure the answer is no, but like, even if you ask your doctor are they even likely to be able to access it if they aren't the ones that administered it?

I had a bunch of boosters in 2015 before I did a big through hike, but the ones that stand out in my mind are tetanus and hepatitis

do you know where you received the vaccines? i'm sure they would have a record of it if you call them up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

no one wears a mask in my neighborhood when out and about walking, they’ll still cross the street to avoid other people though. kid across the street routinely has 4-5 other boys playing basketball everyday after schools for hours. covid is over get your shot who gives a gently caress what happens to everyone else.

No one wears a mask in my apartment. There's a good 6 kids that play in the loving stairwell, no masks. Their families never wear masks, and the other people who live there never wear masks. On top of that maintenance and other staff that I see occasionally are never wearing masks either.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

time to revisit my first post in this thread,

Tzen posted:

jesus christ I thought this photo was recent but after looking into it no, no, it is not recent. loving April. APRIL.

FILE PHOTO: Drone pictures show bodies being buried on New York's Hart Island where the department of corrections is dealing with more burials overall, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in New York City, U.S., April 9, 2020.

loving gently caress kill me now

lol time is a flat circle

here's an updated photo P1 represent

Cemetery workers in protective gear carry a coffin that contains the remains of a person who died from complications related to COVID-19 to a gravesite at the Vila Formosa cemetery in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Wednesday. (Andre Penner / The Associated Press)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thoguh posted:

What's the excess death from all causes look like?

I'm not sure how to find this information but I found this tweet which is making me laugh.

https://twitter.com/BickerinBrattle/status/1348650523579330563

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Iron Crowned posted:

No one wears a mask in my apartment. There's a good 6 kids that play in the loving stairwell, no masks. Their families never wear masks, and the other people who live there never wear masks. On top of that maintenance and other staff that I see occasionally are never wearing masks either.

i'm about the only one who wears a mask around here but the neighbors at least have the decency to look vaguely guilty when i walk by 'em. all the stairwells and everything are outdoors, though, so i guess it's not that big a deal

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Having a look at the danish variant data so far 305 cases total have been found carrying the E484K mutation, 34 of which are from the SA variant, 2 from P.1, 238 are from a new variant called B.1.525 and 30 are not a part of any identified variants.

Source (in Danish): https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/virusvarianter/status/status-virusvarianter-17032021-6l8a

Edit: lol

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It has been said, but “normal” is going to be different forever. Even if we manage to roll out boosters to handle escape variants (LOL no) masks will be a thing forever, at least for me. There is almost zero cost to strapping on an N95 when around people outside one’s household. Not that it won’t be banned legislatively to ensure functional facial recognition.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Loucks posted:

It has been said, but “normal” is going to be different forever. Even if we manage to roll out boosters to handle escape variants (LOL no) masks will be a thing forever, at least for me. There is almost zero cost to strapping on an N95 when around people outside one’s household. Not that it won’t be banned legislatively to ensure functional facial recognition.

georgia already passed an anti-mask law, we're just not currently enforcing it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Loucks posted:

I probably won't be wearing N95s forever, but I've definitely been collecting cloth masks for future use. I intend to treat them somewhat like a tie whenever I feel like I don't need to wear a full face respirator everywhere.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my BiL has been working at Home Depot this entire year and hasn't caught COVID. she'll probably be fine

Pretty much anything other than indoor dining/bar/movie theatre type stuff is very low risk for any individual trip. It's just an aggregate approach thing about being mindful about when and where to go out since we're still in a pandemic. Especially when we've already had out first shots and are just a little over a week from our second.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Sigh. I will get a respirator then. Need to measure my face and poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

chicago's health dept head posted:

The voucher code and website in the message are actually meant to be used by people who live in specific ZIP codes where communities were hit hard by COVID-19.

That means the city’s health department staff are having to go through appointments made with the code and cancel those of people who don’t live in those ZIP codes, Arwady said.

Arwady asked people to stop spreading the misinformation and signing up using the code because it’s creating more work for the health department.

Look at this poo poo. So the mass vax site being run by the feds is restricted to weird numbers of city , county, state residents, and eligiblity of those varies including for 17 zip codes you need zero reason to sign up, just put in an address in the zip

And they're so bad at programming they're blaming a ton of people for seeing a code on social media, putting it in, giving their correct address. Then the health dept manually goes through and cancels them all since the website can't do a simple check

Of course if you just put in a fake address there's no issue! Grats on your vaccine!

But yes, blame the people for this who didn't know it was a voucher code for just a few zip codes, some of which are also getting publicized local events. I shared it with my friends thinking that since the zips had their own events that the mass FEMA site wouldn't care about those

Just more blaming of the populace instead of taking any responsibility

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

finally booked my first shot for the 31st when WA eligibility officially expands to include Goons

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

slippery doc posted:

finally booked my first shot for the 31st when WA eligibility officially expands to include Goons

Solid prelude to your goon jab success story.

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

I probably won't be wearing N95s forever, but I've definitely been collecting cloth masks for future use. I intend to treat them somewhat like a tie whenever I feel like I don't need to wear a full face respirator everywhere.

I considered that, but since N95s are so much more effective than cloth masks in general it seems like a low effort upgrade. Looking forward to ditching the full face respirator, but that’s not happening anytime soon.

🎶 Here comes P1, doo da doo doo 🎶

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

Trust the plan!

And people were threatening the PM's life for not making it happen sooner.

Pingui posted:

Having a look at the danish variant data so far 305 cases total have been found carrying the E484K mutation, 34 of which are from the SA variant, 2 from P.1, 238 are from a new variant called B.1.525 and 30 are not a part of any identified variants.

Source (in Danish): https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/virusvarianter/status/status-virusvarianter-17032021-6l8a

Edit: lol

Oh, I bet the the news is all over this!

*checks*

"OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN OPEN BIDEN"

Alright then.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Whoever is in the Cincinnati Area - https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/screening is showing slots open up in Springdale. Just click that you are 40 and then schedule your appointment after the 29th if you are afraid of rules.

15 slots open as of 30 minutes ago.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://kstp.com/news/health-officials-say-some-minnesota-parents-are-not-testing-kids-for-covid-19-to-keep-athletics-going/6052769/ posted:

Health officials say some Minnesota parents are not testing kids for COVID-19 to keep athletics going

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Fasdar posted:

Whoever is in the Cincinnati Area - https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/screening is showing slots open up in Springdale. Just click that you are 40 and then schedule your appointment after the 29th if you are afraid of rules.

15 slots open as of 30 minutes ago.

That's odd, I assumed all of Ohio had already opened eligibility to ages 16+. I was able to sign up in Montgomery County on Monday with no issues.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

from a story about shady small-time ppe brokers

quote:

If the federal government had handled things correctly, there would have been no PPE procurement or production issues during the pandemic—because the federal Strategic National Stockpile would’ve simply had enough supplies. Instead, according to recent New York Times reporting, over the last decade the government stockpile has used roughly half of its $500 million yearly budget buying anthrax vaccines from one well-connected Maryland company. In 2016, a business called American Medical Depot “pitched a reusable mask to the stockpile”; the government “expressed interest but said there was no money.”

looking at that times article linked and it puts it all in a "I learned it from watching you, dad" frame. meet Emergent BioSolutions, a company that routinely sucked up half of the annual budget of the national stockpile on a hardly useful anthrax vaccine by lobbying a bunch of terrified morons in government.

quote:

An investigation by The New York Times found a hidden explanation: Government purchases for the Strategic National Stockpile, the country’s emergency medical reserve where such equipment is kept, have largely been driven by the demands and financial interests of a handful of biotech firms that have specialized in products that address terrorist threats rather than infectious disease.

Chief among them is Emergent BioSolutions, a Maryland-based company now manufacturing Covid-19 vaccines for AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson. Last year, as the pandemic raced across the country, the government paid Emergent $626 million for products that included vaccines to fight an entirely different threat: a terrorist attack using anthrax.

In the two decades since the repository was created, Emergent’s aggressive tactics, broad political connections and penchant for undercutting competitors have given it remarkable sway over the government’s purchasing decisions related to the vaccines, the interviews and documents show.

One of the vaccines has yet to be approved as safe and needed special clearance to be bought by the government, which has maintained a large supply of another Emergent vaccine after a string of anthrax attacks nearly 20 years ago left five people dead. Those were the last anthrax attacks in the United States. While national security officials still consider anthrax a threat, it has not received specific mention since 2012 in the intelligence community’s annual public assessment of dangers facing the country, a report that has repeatedly warned of pandemics.

Emergent bought the license for the country’s only approved anthrax vaccine in 1998 from the State of Michigan. Over time, the price per dose the government agreed to pay Emergent increased nearly sixfold, accounting for inflation, contributing to record revenues last year that topped $1.5 billion. The biggest source was the sale of anthrax and smallpox vaccines even as the company also began manufacturing coronavirus vaccines.

The company’s chief executive, Robert Kramer, told Wall Street analysts last month that 2020 was “the strongest year in our 22-year history.” Emergent’s stock performed so well that its founder and chairman cashed in shares and options worth over $42 million, more than he had redeemed in the previous five years combined, corporate filings show.

As Emergent prospered, other companies working on pandemic remedies for the stockpile were squeezed out of government spending decisions, and former federal health officials said preparations for an outbreak like Covid-19 almost always took a back seat to Emergent’s anthrax vaccines.

In one telling example, The Times found, the government approved a plan in 2015 to buy tens of millions of N95 respirators — lifesaving equipment for medical workers that has been in short supply because of Covid-19 — but the masks repeatedly lost out in the competition for funding over the years leading up to the pandemic, according to five former federal health officials involved in the effort. During the same period, Emergent sold the government nearly $1 billion in anthrax vaccines, financial disclosures show.

Yet that official, Dr. Robert Kadlec, also said that spending on the company’s anthrax vaccines limited his ability to prepare for other potential disasters.

“If I could spend less on anthrax replenishment, I could buy more N95s,” Dr. Kadlec said in an interview shortly after leaving office. “I could buy more ventilators. I could buy more of other things that quite frankly I didn’t have the money to buy.”

But even as he fretted over the stockpile’s lack of preparedness for a pandemic, Dr. Kadlec said, he felt compelled to continue preparing for anthrax and other bioterrorism threats. His office awarded roughly $3 billion in long-term contracts to Emergent in the months before the Covid-19 crisis, and last year decided to buy the company’s unlicensed anthrax vaccine — relying on the same emergency authority that has allowed the use of unlicensed coronavirus vaccines and treatments.

In 2009, a deadly influenza outbreak forced the government to re-evaluate the reserve. The spread of a novel strain of H1N1, in many ways a trial pandemic, sounded an alarm about the government’s poor readiness for naturally arising threats.

That virus claimed an estimated 12,000 lives in the United States. It was a small fraction of the Covid-19 death toll, yet even then the stockpile ran short of protective gear.

“People are saying that we dodged a bullet, and it isn’t that we dodged a bullet,” Dr. Richard Hatchett, a public health adviser to Mr. Obama, recalled telling him during a meeting in the Oval Office. “It’s that nature shot us with a BB gun.”

The review didn’t single out BioThrax for criticism. But a Times analysis of federal documents and corporate disclosures found that from 2010 through 2018, the anthrax vaccine consumed more than 40 percent of the stockpile’s budget, which averaged $560 million during those years.

The company in 1998 agreed to charge the government an average of about $3.35 per dose, documents show. By 2010, the price had risen to about $28, according to financial disclosures and statements by Emergent executives, and now it is about $30. Over the past 15 years, the company recorded a gross profit margin of about 75 percent for the vaccine, in an arrangement that one Emergent vice president called a “monopoly.”

“It is a very, very good business,” the vice president for investor relations, Robert G. Burrows, said in a 2010 presentation.

Dr. Ali S. Khan, who ran the C.D.C. office managing the stockpile until 2014, said bluntly: “We overpaid.”

Unlike smallpox or the coronavirus, anthrax doesn’t spread from person to person, instead infecting people when its spores are released in the environment. The main defense against it is the kind of cheap, commonly used antibiotics that were dispensed after the 2001 letter attacks, also kept in the stockpile.

Emergent’s vaccine, given in three doses, would be useful for emergency workers and others who might risk extended exposure to the spores. But for the general public, it would be an added precaution, multiple health officials said. “The best approach toward anthrax is antimicrobial therapy,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the government’s top infectious-disease expert, told Congress as early as 2007.

So government officials started asking: Did the stockpile need so much of the vaccine?

The government already had part of the answer. Health officials had hired the disaster-preparedness firm I.E.M. to calculate how much benefit the vaccine provided. In an analysis published in 2007, the firm determined that giving antibiotics immediately after a large outdoor anthrax attack was likely to reduce serious illnesses by more than 80 percent. Administering the vaccine would then cut serious illnesses only by an additional 4 percent.

The Times found that the origin of the 75-million-dose goal was not scientific analysis or intelligence gathering.

“A bunch of people, including myself, were sitting in a room and asking what kind of attack might happen,” said Dr. Kenneth Bernard, a top biodefense adviser to Mr. Bush, recalling a meeting in the months after the 2001 attacks.

“And somebody said, ‘Well, I can’t imagine anyone attacking more than three cities at once,’” he said. “So we took the population of a major U.S. city and multiplied by three.”

The three cities combined, they figured, would have about 25 million people, each needing the three-dose regimen. The 75 million goal, according to Dr. Bernard and another official involved in the decision, was meant as a rough starting point that would be reassessed.

Memories of the powder-filled letters that temporarily shut down the Capitol in 2001 have haunted members of Congress ever since.

“If you talk to the head of the House Intelligence Committee,” Don Elsey, Emergent’s chief financial officer, told investors in 2011, “and you say, ‘What are you most worried about?’ he’ll say, ‘Let me see: Number one, anthrax; number two, anthrax; number three, anthrax.’”

Emergent’s sales strategy was to address that fear by promising the federal government peace of mind with its vaccine.

“There’s a political element involved,” Mr. Burrows, the company’s vice president of investor relations, said at an industry conference in 2016. “I don’t have a marketing expense. I have lobbying expense.”

Since 2010, the company has spent an average of $3 million a year on lobbying — far outspending similarly sized biotech firms, and roughly matching the outlays of two pharmaceutical companies with annual revenues at least 17 times greater, AstraZeneca and Bristol Myers Squibb, Senate lobbying disclosures show.

Because Emergent was the sole manufacturer of a product deemed critical to national security, the company has played what one former executive described to The Times as “the we’re-going-to-go-bankrupt card.” Mr. Cole, who received $16,000 from the company’s political action committee in recent years, was familiar with the pitch.

In the end, the government came through with what amounted to a $100 million bailout, dipping into the budget of an agency created to develop new products for the stockpile, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, also known as Barda.

Just a year later, Emergent spent about $200 million in cash, and made other financial commitments, to acquire Sanofi’s smallpox vaccine and GlaxoSmithKline’s anthrax treatment, two products with established pipelines to the stockpile. The purchases expanded Emergent’s hold over the reserve.

And a plan five years earlier to create an emergency supply of N95 respirators was simply not funded. A team of experts had proposed buying tens of millions of the masks to fill the gap during an outbreak until domestic manufacturing could ramp up, according to five officials involved in the assessment, which has not been previously disclosed.

The masks were supposed to be purchased with money left over after the stockpile acquired higher-priority items. But that never happened. Even the N95s distributed to states and hospitals during the H1N1 outbreak in 2009 were not replaced. By the time the novel coronavirus emerged, the stockpile had only 12 million of the respirators. The stockpile has since set a goal of amassing 300 million.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Zisky posted:

It's been over a year since Trump first mentioned hydroxychloroquine.

I forgot entirely about all these snake oil cures trump and his pals were desperately hawking last year

remember that one couple that took fish tank cleaner and one of them died lmao

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

sports parents are the absolute loving worst people in this country

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

aggressive people need to gently caress off

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the rain forests of Brazil will claim back what is theirs one way or another.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

CaptainBeefart posted:

That's odd, I assumed all of Ohio had already opened eligibility to ages 16+. I was able to sign up in Montgomery County on Monday with no issues.

Different apps with different stupid screening poo poo. It all opens up on the 29th, officially.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

wooo number go up!

https://twitter.com/ZachReports/status/1375119828634234880

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fireside Nut posted:

do you know where you received the vaccines? i'm sure they would have a record of it if you call them up

Thanks, I may have to call around to look into it. I actually have an appointment with my current doc tomorrow, so I guess the first thing would be to try to remember to just ask him then.

Pretty sure I've had one or two vaccine boosters more recently where the nurse before the doctor comes in will be like "looks like you're due for whatever booster, want to take care of it now?" and after confirming it's "free" to me, I'm always like hell yeah shoot me up, but to be honest I really don't remember what those were for either.

It baffles me that people don't want to get vaccines, I always just take whatever they offer if the insurance company is paying for it to the point where I don't even remember what they've all been for. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never really had a reaction to any vaccine worse than what I imagine is caused by physically sticking a needle into my arm. Or maybe I don't have reactions because I get plenty of vaccines :shrug:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://bidetking.com

enjoy friends. I'm getting a toto one delivered and installed in the new house I'm moving in to next month. perfect timing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

[extreme 3 months from now voice] if only we had some sort of warning signs we could point to for the last surge of infections

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol get better friends

gently caress off wapo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

SchnorkIes posted:

Israel has barely any of the escape variants that are starting to hit the US. No brazilian or south african variant prevalence

frantically trying to stomp out the increasingly evident hope that this will actually end

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Nonsense posted:

the rain forests of Brazil will claim back what is theirs one way or another.

less poors in the way will make it easier to clear the rain forest!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

fosborb posted:

lol get better friends

gently caress off wapo

if i had a friend who figured out how to jump the line in CT id be buying them gifts till they told me how they did it.

CT feels locked down like a safe.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

lol get better friends

gently caress off wapo
lmao this article is gold

you fools, loving go get your slut juice jabs, you absolute morons

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fosborb posted:

lol get better friends

gently caress off wapo

Wasn't there a health expert that said once people figure out how to game the system it's time to remove the restrictions because they'll start doing the opposite of what was intended?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Wasn't there a health expert that said once people figure out how to game the system it's time to remove the restrictions because they'll start doing the opposite of what was intended?
Yes. One of the Seattletimes articles mentioned this and quoting some folks. i've also read it a handful of times elsewhere over the past couple months

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

McCracAttack posted:

that sounds like something I posted yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
claiming status as health expert because no one else in my country seems to loving be one