Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thesaurus posted:

Donut deal is NOT being honored at the krispy kremes in Puerto Rico!!

God drat

statehood now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm never going back to normal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please do not tell people to "go back to normal"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
As usual the real entities to be angry at are governments.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Does anyone have that paper where the same post-e484k escape variant repeatedly showed up in lab experiments

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crazyweasel posted:

Obviously open er up has led to big curves in Michigan and NJ, but many other places are basically flat or declining.

I just had a quick look at all the US states on worldometers and about a dozen are definitely increasing but the majority have hit a plateau.

Michigan's curve is real ugly:

yikes

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zisky posted:

As usual the real entities to be angry at are governments.

:hai:

we were making GBS threads on this epidemiologist earlier for keeping her kids in daycare

https://twitter.com/WhitneyEpi/status/1373817386898456578?s=19

and following the advice of a chud uk political pediatrician rather than everyone in her own profession

https://twitter.com/WhitneyEpi/status/1373817403730231299?s=19

but she is ABSOLUTELY right with this:

https://twitter.com/WhitneyEpi/status/1373819892416274432?s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
No dad YOU go back to normal!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Forseti posted:

Is there an easy way to check your vaccination history? I'm about 95% sure the answer is no, but like, even if you ask your doctor are they even likely to be able to access it if they aren't the ones that administered it?

I had a bunch of boosters in 2015 before I did a big through hike, but the ones that stand out in my mind are tetanus and hepatitis

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-locate-records.html

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SchnorkIes posted:

Does anyone have that paper where the same post-e484k escape variant repeatedly showed up in lab experiments

just relax, shoot some vax, and grab a donut or something

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Serf posted:

i'm never going back to normal

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The donuts are the plain glazed one

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Good timing, I am about to have to go to a big box for some PVC stuff and now I've decided I'm going after 8pm. It will be my first trip inside a retail store in over a year.

Just scroll down on google maps after selecting a place and it'll show you the aggregate location data for that location, it's creepy as hell but really helpful in a pandemic to know when places aren't busy. Whic has been my premise the whole time, avoid trips that I don't need to take, but if I need to take a trip I'll take it, just go during off hours.

Post vaxx I'm going to loosen up a lot on whether a trip is a "need" (like going furniture shopping, which we've been putting off for a year will be something we do a few weeks post-vaxx) but I'm still gonna make an effort to go to places when they aren't busy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Judakel posted:

The donuts are the plain glazed one

Those are the only donuts they make in store anyway, everything else is made in a factory downtown

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Iron Crowned posted:

Those are the only donuts they make in store anyway, everything else is made in a factory downtown

no that's peaches

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

They need to be a store that sells only hot plain glazed and coffee imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

Post vaxx I'm going to loosen up a lot on whether a trip is a "need" (like going furniture shopping, which we've been putting off for a year will be something we do a few weeks post-vaxx) but I'm still gonna make an effort to go to places when they aren't busy.

My neighbourhood is having hard rubbish collection next week so I'll be taking my hand trolley and running up and down all the streets in the middle of the night grabbing discarded furniture. I've kitted out most of my house that way over the years.

Furniture stores are for suckers!!

E: one year I saw a guy with a van driving around collecting all the dirty stained mattresses that people had thrown out, I hope he wasn't running a backpackers business or a boarding house :gonk:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My neighbourhood is having hard rubbish collection next week so I'll be taking my hand trolley and running up and down all the streets in the middle of the night grabbing discarded furniture. I've kitted out most of my house that way over the years.

Furniture stores are for suckers!!

E: one year I saw a guy with a van driving around collecting all the dirty stained mattresses that people had thrown out, I hope he wasn't running a backpackers business or a boarding house :gonk:

That's usually the cops, they check the stains against warrants and missing persons

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

Most definitely, but before 8 AM or after 7PM on weekdays it's almost empty. The thing is it's extremely easy to look at a place and figure out when is a good time to go! Google Maps shows you expected amount of people there for any day of the week plus data in real time for what it's currently like.

Hardware stores are at their busiest in the early afternoon, any day of the week.

Eh, stores like Home Depot are so large that you're not really going to be packed in with people even when they're super busy. Google maps isn't wrong, though. Late morning to early afternoon is when a ton of contractors roll in so it's usually the busiest time, but I had to make more home improvement trips than I would've liked last year and I never needed to get within ten feet of anyone in the store.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

no that's peaches

A factory downtown can make more than one thing! See also tree nuts and shellfish

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, stores like Home Depot are so large that you're not really going to be packed in with people even when they're super busy. Google maps isn't wrong, though. Late morning to early afternoon is when a ton of contractors roll in so it's usually the busiest time, but I had to make more home improvement trips than I would've liked last year and I never needed to get within ten feet of anyone in the store.

Counterpoint: last week at the home depot I witnessed not one but two near fistfights over contractors being yelled at to put on their loving mask at the entrance. One boomer promptly took the mask off and threw it on the floor after getting past the greeter.

Being a greeter in retail nowadays has to be one of the worst jobs on earth.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pryor on Fire posted:

Counterpoint: last week at the home depot I witnessed not one but two near fistfights over contractors being yelled at to put on their loving mask at the entrance. One boomer promptly took the mask off and threw it on the floor after getting past the greeter.

That's fair. Mask compliance around me is still exceptionally high so I don't really think of this aspect much anymore since it's so rare that I see anyone without a mask on.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

smoobles posted:

I don't get why they're pausing AZ in these countries instead of opening it to all age groups. I'd be so pissed if I was a young person in those countries.

Considering the efficacy of AZ against the SA variant, that the SA variant is gaining in prevalence here and the surrounding countries and that it can't be upgraded like the mRNAs I don't think it is quite the logical slamdunk as one could have hoped.

The current political wind in Denmark is to open everything up once everyone over 50 is vaccinated and I suspect that once you have a shot, you would get prioritized down for a different shot. Even if your current shot doesn't really do anything.

Combine these two and I would much rather wait than get the AZ shot. But then I am also doomer bunkering and my thinking would pan out differently if I wasn't.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Forseti posted:

'Bout to Dale Earnhardt this poo poo! USA! USA!
lmao we're so hosed (ARE WE NOT ALREADY!?)

headlines got me crack pinging hard this morning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's not uncommon that I see people not wearing a mask, or even a face covering of any kind. On top of that I've seen just too many people who have obviously pulled it down over their chin at some point after entering the store.

I'm definitely going to be wearing a full face respirator in public for quite a while

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so glad i got my bidet

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

A factory downtown can make more than one thing! See also tree nuts and shellfish

he was referencing a popular song from the 1990s

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Sure, and I'd go if I had to get something right now because my toilet was leaking or something. But if it's just gardening poo poo that will be used at some unknown time in the next month and definitely not today... it can wait until after 7PM.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

not my poo poo paper

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bearjew posted:

not my poo poo paper

turn on your monitor

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

actionjackson posted:

he was referencing a popular song from the 1990s

I know :ssh:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's interesting to me that Wisconsin, which has been effectively fully opened up this whole time thanks to the Republicans, has one of the lower death rates in the country. 1100 deaths per million, good for 12th place and competing with states like Colorado. I would've thought a state with the amount of drinking that we do would have had worse outcomes.

The Dakotas have twice our death rate but only 30% more cases per capita.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

SchnorkIes posted:

I do recall reading that; I'll have another look. In the meantime, enjoy some lovely pictures!

covariants.org

outbreak.info

It's very cool how the new variants surge and start out-competing the wildtypes right around the end of february. Open Biden!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol America is definitely at a corner of sorts

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...aying-football/

quote:

How to finesse wearing a mask is the latest desired skill in high-school football.

There’s placement with the chin strap. Adding a mouth guard. And, of course, how to yell without the faux pas of pulling the mask down to project your voice.

“We’ve tried to kind of work through the process of instead of pulling it down, pull it out so it’s not in our mouth,” Kentwood coach Michael Bush said. “That’s been a big change. As I’m watching games and watching teams, myself included, you want to pull it down and say something. But it’s like, that’s a little bit defeating the purpose of the mask.”

Motivation to comply with new safety protocols is that the guidelines established under Gov. Jay Inslee’s reopening plan for Washington is the only way high schools are cleared to play sports amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Leagues in Snohomish and King counties were among the last to play football. As those teams near a month of competition, keeping the mask in place is the biggest challenge.

Even the rule — everyone must wear a mask — was a problem.

“There was no meat to the rule,” said Steve Jensen, who assigns officials for football games in Snohomish County. “You can tell them (coaches and players) until you’re blue in the face to pull up their mask, but they’re smart; they know there’s no penalty.”

Earlier this month, the Washington Officials Association worked with the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association to set infractions for mask violations during games, whether it’s by a player or coach. If a player is wearing the mask incorrectly while on the field, they’re sent off for one down.

The first sight of a team wearing a mask inaccurately is a reminder to the coach about properly wearing masks. The second is a sideline warning. The third violation is a 5-yard penalty, then a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct against the coach and the fifth violation gets the team’s head coach ejected along with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

“It’s a huge change; it’s awesome,” Jensen said of compliance now that there’s a consequence. “Teammates are telling other teammates to pull up your mask. And we’re not out to penalize them, we’re out to remind them, and 99% of the time, they follow the rules. … As an official, it’s also really hard to do because you’ve got to keep your whistle in your mask. It’s not normal, but you figure it out.”

Multiple coaches said the first few weeks of practice were lessons on how to wear a mask and play. Some schools purchased shields for the football helmets for added protection.

“There’s little nuances figuring out how to get comfortable,” Seattle Prep coach Aaron Maul said. “Once they settled into the mouthpiece under the mask and then the mask underneath the chin strap, now it’s become just part of their routine in how they dress.”

Other safety protocols have been easier to follow. Teams have individual water bottles or use paper cups. Dots or tape mark the social-distancing spacing on sidelines and seating in the stands. Reports are that attestation screenings are working, but there have been COVID outbreaks across the state that have caused games to be canceled.

The possibility prompted Everett School District athletic director Robert Polk to send a mass email to his coaches to remind them to not “get blasé” about safety protocols. Everett Memorial Stadium held its first game with fans last week. Polk spent hours walking the stands with his tape measure to mark socially distanced, two-person pods.

Cascade defeated Everett 46-20 before about 400 people, mainly parents of players and cheerleaders and a few students.

“The P.A. announcer felt like he was actually talking to somebody,” Polk said. “To hear a reaction to a great play or an almost-great play, getting back to what we’re used to was really great.”

The Metro League is still devising a plan to host spectators, which meant one of the biggest upsets wasn’t experienced in-person by the student body. Seattle Prep defeated O’Dea 15-14 on a two-point conversion with time expired last week. It was the first time the Panthers beat the Fighting Irish in 41 years.

“There are generations of Panthers that have reached out,” Maul said of the congratulatory calls he’s received. “It being a (COVID season) makes it more special. What these kids have had to overcome and what they’ve experienced in the last year, for them to have the opportunity to experience what they experienced Friday night is a blessing.”

it's all just so loving stupid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting to me that Wisconsin, which has been effectively fully opened up this whole time thanks to the Republicans, has one of the lower death rates in the country. 1100 deaths per million, good for 12th place and competing with states like Colorado. I would've thought a state with the amount of drinking that we do would have had worse outcomes.

The Dakotas have twice our death rate but only 30% more cases per capita.

What's the excess death from all causes look like?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Lol, add me to goon spouses.txt, my wife said she was gonna take some vacation from work this afternoon to go to Home Depot and get a bunch of gardening stuff and got real mad when I said we should just go after dinner when they arent busy instead, Google maps tells you exactly what hours places are usually full of people but I guess that's not a valid data source. We're in between our first and second shots this is the stupidest poo poo we are only three weeks away from being two weeks post our second shots.

my BiL has been working at Home Depot this entire year and hasn't caught COVID. she'll probably be fine

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thoguh posted:

Sure, and I'd go if I had to get something right now because my toilet was leaking or something. But if it's just gardening poo poo that will be used at some unknown time in the next month and definitely not today... it can wait until after 7PM.

Yea I made some excuse up to go to the store yesterday and then realized I didnt actually need to. Consumption is back baby

Paradoxish posted:

That's fair. Mask compliance around me is still exceptionally high so I don't really think of this aspect much anymore since it's so rare that I see anyone without a mask on.

It's like 25-50% of the people around me

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
no one wears a mask in my neighborhood when out and about walking, they’ll still cross the street to avoid other people though. kid across the street routinely has 4-5 other boys playing basketball everyday after schools for hours. covid is over get your shot who gives a gently caress what happens to everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Turns out 40% of the vaccines are on that grounded Suez Canal ship