Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the coolest thing that can happen is when a laser rakes across something then the line explodes a second later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That part where they both slash their swords and they stare at each other until one spits blood is kinda standoffy

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whizzing Wizard posted:

MGS games ranked on how memorable the bosses are:

Rising

5. Peace Walker

Metal Gear Rising is one of the best games I've ever played. I don't think Hideo Kojima directed any truly bad metal gear games, but 4 and 5 were definitely a huge step down in writing quality.

There's an interesting (long as hell but if you've played MGS4 you clearly don't mind watching long cutscenes) video someone made detailing a lot of criticisms of MGS4 and why people feel the plot falls apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-_r0w7ykI

Having big boss in it was a mistake and the Patriots should not have been the final boss to metal gear.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 25, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I wonder if the movie is gonna make the protagonist interesting or good in any way or do what the game did instead

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Relax Or DIE posted:

the coolest thing that can happen is when a laser rakes across something then the line explodes a second later

:haibrower:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hatty posted:

It’s always weird to me when someone makes a movie about a game that’s heavily inspired by movies. It’s like a weird infinite loop

The smart ones will take inspiration from those original movies, like the MK film did. Otherwise you end up with nonsense like the Hitman or Max Payne films where it comes across like someone aping something they don't understand.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My cat has started cuddling up with the big stuffed toy Dinosaur we humans also use as a pillow.

:kimchi:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yo this is another request that I'm gonna be starting MGS4 in a few days so please can people spoiler tag stuff? :(

NG2: Zedonius took a few attempts but in the end he went down so easy I didn't even burn through all my healing items. 3 Arch Fiends down, 1 to go and now we're off to the Amazon to get wet and wild :toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Alan Wake worth playing? It's referenced in Control through little documents and stuff. Does it sound more interesting just because Control and the FBC are interesting, and they've since backwards worked that stuff into the Control universe? I assume it's also too shooty but do they let you fly n poo poo to make it fun?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Alan wake is mediocre

MGs4 chat: mgs4 is also mediocre

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's OK I guess? You don't have cool flashy superpowers, you spend most of the game running through a dark forest killing ghosts with a flashlight. Maybe if you really like Remedy's style and storytelling, but Control is better in almost every way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, as a game, it's just kind of unremarkable. Alan Wake got a lot of attention because an enormous amount of money was invested into it, so it has incredible production values. I got it for free from Epic one week and didn't play it more than an hour or two because it's just not really all that fun to play. If the plot interests you, I think a Youtube collage of the cutscenes would show you everything worth seeing.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
In terms of Metal Gear bosses I did find the fights in MGS5 to be a bit disappointing, but I have a personal theory about why.

Since the plot of MGS5 is deeply linked to the plot of the very first Metal Gear it almost makes sense that the bosses get less memorable. Even though Big Boss has been running around fighting all kinds of crazy poo poo Solid Snake didn't really do that until MGS1. The world itself is moving away from the outlandish pseudo sci-fi conflicts, and back to a period of more grounded conventional warfare. In fact, if we look at the kinds of bosses that Solid Snake would face in MG1&2 they are very similar to the ones we fight in MGS5.

Obviously just a personal theory, but it kind of makes sense to me. MGS5 has some serious issues on a lot of fronts, and who knows what revalations might have been cut. It just feels, to me, like the whole game is an attempt to bring the franchise full circle back to its starting point. Not just in terms of story, but also world design and aesthetics.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
In Metal Gear 2 Snake fights a boss call “running man” whose special power is he can run real good. I miss Metal Gear so much

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zushio posted:

In terms of Metal Gear bosses I did find the fights in MGS5 to be a bit disappointing, but I have a personal theory about why.

Since the plot of MGS5 is deeply linked to the plot of the very first Metal Gear it almost makes sense that the bosses get less memorable. Even though Big Boss has been running around fighting all kinds of crazy poo poo Solid Snake didn't really do that until MGS1. The world itself is moving away from the outlandish pseudo sci-fi conflicts, and back to a period of more grounded conventional warfare. In fact, if we look at the kinds of bosses that Solid Snake would face in MG1&2 they are very similar to the ones we fight in MGS5.

Obviously just a personal theory, but it kind of makes sense to me. MGS5 has some serious issues on a lot of fronts, and who knows what revalations might have been cut. It just feels, to me, like the whole game is an attempt to bring the franchise full circle back to its starting point. Not just in terms of story, but also world design and aesthetics.

I was incredibly let down that at no point does MGS5 have a old-school vampire as the ultimate anti-big boss weapon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Rising

5. Peace Walker

why did you put peace walker on this list twice

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

In Metal Gear 2 Snake fights a boss call “running man” whose special power is he can run real good. I miss Metal Gear so much

I'm a huge fan of the scientist that chokes you out from behind and you have to use those remote controlled missiles to kill him.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
At the very least on the boss front MGS5 has the Quiet fight which is The End 2.0

I kinda hate all the other boss fights in 5

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll just find a youtube analysis of it or something then. I like a lot of things about Control, but their style seems to still be kind of a work-in-progress. It also feels hopelessly chained to shooters, I get it, that's a popular thing in videogames and obviously sells very well. It also just kind of undercuts and undermines their story by forcing every game's fundamental verb to be be "gun violence." Cracked me up after a credit fakeout, I've got my hair up, Big Boss suit on, standing in my office kind of proud to be Director, but also still got this gun glued to my hand lol. Trench was nuts but I don't think even he ran around 24/7 with supergun in hand.

I think Control could've been a Banjo-Kazooie style platformer and leaned into it's strengths and been the better for it. Some gunplay moments can be fun, totally a Controlly way to make some funky item for those situations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao Rogue Squadron wasn't a very long or very hard game was it

I was just bad at vidyas as a kid

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

WOW

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cardiovorax posted:

It is actually named after the god of giant chickens, Wark.

"Kweh" in other territories...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Relax Or DIE posted:

bonus points for a visible and very loud powerup sequence - thinking Freespace 2 capital beam weapons here

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
MGS4 Chat

I haven't played it, I think there is a snake, maybe?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kweh, or as some say, kwehsm...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A good wow?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm more jealous of the dinosaur than the cat, tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

At the very least on the boss front MGS5 has the Quiet fight which is The End 2.0

I kinda hate all the other boss fights in 5

Complete with plenty of wiggle room to break the fight and clown on the sniper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JzJWDgNYI&t=451s

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Ciaphas posted:

bonus points for a visible and very loud powerup sequence - thinking Freespace 2 capital beam weapons here

:hai:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A visible charge-up sequence makes any beam weapon better. Ominous hum obligatory.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like laser beams that are visible from space

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

VideoGames posted:

My cat has started cuddling up with the big stuffed toy Dinosaur we humans also use as a pillow.

:kimchi:

Good cat, would pet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

A visible charge-up sequence makes any beam weapon better. Ominous hum obligatory.

This sound is burned into my mind forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aoYFqhpq8k

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I like laser beams that are visible from space

cool sword

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm a huge fan of the scientist that chokes you out from behind and you have to use those remote controlled missiles to kill him.

When you have to lure a guard from his post by hatching an owl egg and making the owl hoot so the guard thinks it's nighttime and goes to bed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Kweh, or as some say, kwehsm...

:hmmyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I started getting into Shadowverse again last night and was playing through the story and did not expect sexy anime hearthstone to have a story arc in which a cop is repeatedly told "it's not your fault you shot that civilian, you need to stop blaming yourself"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Six Days in the Shadowverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Khanstant posted:

I'll just find a youtube analysis of it or something then. I like a lot of things about Control, but their style seems to still be kind of a work-in-progress. It also feels hopelessly chained to shooters, I get it, that's a popular thing in videogames and obviously sells very well. It also just kind of undercuts and undermines their story by forcing every game's fundamental verb to be be "gun violence." Cracked me up after a credit fakeout, I've got my hair up, Big Boss suit on, standing in my office kind of proud to be Director, but also still got this gun glued to my hand lol. Trench was nuts but I don't think even he ran around 24/7 with supergun in hand.

I think Control could've been a Banjo-Kazooie style platformer and leaned into it's strengths and been the better for it. Some gunplay moments can be fun, totally a Controlly way to make some funky item for those situations.

I didn't like Control's combat much at all so I would've loved it if the game was just more exploring and finding documents about the various things that are being kept there. That part was easily the highlight for me. The game really nailed the setting they were going for, I just found the combat annoying and tedious and every fight felt like it took an eternity. Despite that the maze section was still awesome (the two "boss fights" afterwards made me want to die though).

I kind of felt the same way about Alan Wake though so. I think Remedy just knocks it out of the park when it comes to tone and setting.