Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh gently caress off and go write in kamala again. no one disagrees that human right abuses are occurring in xinjiang or that cultural genocide is occurring on some scale. what people are pushing back against are the bullshit claims that china's opened death camps

I am actually saying that there is no genocide, cultural or otherwise in Xinjiang. I firmly believe that China is doing counter-terrorism stuff and are going way to heavy handed crossing the line(by a fair bit) into human rights abuses but that is not the same as genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fanfic insert posted:

I am actually saying that there is no genocide, cultural or otherwise in Xinjiang. I firmly believe that China is doing counter-terrorism stuff and are going way to heavy handed crossing the line(by a fair bit) into human rights abuses but that is not the same as genocide.
the us is also doing counter-terrorism stuff

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dolphin posted:

no clue. it's ethnic cleansing regardless

if their cultural identity wasn't repressed or exterminated then no I'm afraid it's not

this isnt to say Japanese internment wasn't morally repugnant and even at the time the camps were labeled as concentration camps but the question is if the camps rose to the definition of genocide which is a targeted ethnic repression/extermination policy

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

We know that the camps exist, and we know that they're "re-education camps" designed to "prevent terrorism" by "eradicating dangerous beliefs". That's straight from the chinese government.

and the US government wants you to believe there are millions of people in them, being forcibly sterilized, as do separatist groups based out of DC, all with the goal of manufacturing consent for the new cold war, and to juice the military industrial complex so we can confront china. the sanctions have already begun. sanctions tend not to escalate, though, im sure

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gringostar posted:

if their cultural identity wasn't repressed or exterminated then no I'm afraid it's not

this isnt to say Japanese internment wasn't morally repugnant and even at the time the camps were labeled as concentration camps but the question is if the camps rose to the definition of genocide which is a targeted ethnic repression/extermination policy

they gunned down anyone that got too close to a fence line and all their land and property was stolen from them

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

A lot of people agree with you that it isn't a 'genocide' but it's designed to homogenize and culturally assimilate a smaller minority, similarly to the reservation school poo poo the US did

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Dolphin posted:

if jimmy says the grain elevators are on fire and he's lying, you hit him with the beating stick and hope that he doesn't do it again. if he does it again you say "maybe this time it's true" because it would be really bad if the grain all burnt up.

like you can go "ugh, he lied before but we better check" but you don't go "nah just another lie let's go fishing"

okay this is a different argument right? you're saying here 'why not check even if the source isn't trust worthy? the consequences are vast'

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

We know that the camps exist, and we know that they're "re-education camps" designed to "prevent terrorism" by "eradicating dangerous beliefs". That's straight from the chinese government.

They call it vocational training and education but here is what the Chinese government has to say about it:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201908/17/WS5d574e53a310cf3e355664b1.html

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

"including"

doing a lot of heavy lifting here

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

the us is also doing counter-terrorism stuff

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France etc etc etc are also doing counter-terrorism stuff? whats your point? some do it more heavy handed than others and some stray into human rights abuses and others stray into genocide, like saudi arabia and the us are doing in Yemen.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Grapplejack posted:

Yes, absolutely, and I've seen some scathing criticisms of them by, for instance, Indian Maoists who work purely off China's own words and (some leaked) internal documents: https://www.cpiml.net/liberation/2020/08/chinas-concentration-camps-for-uyghurs-in-chinas-own-words

There's no question that, using the threat of terrorism as a pretext, the Chinese government is taking coercive measures to shape the religious practice and general training and education of some slice of Xinjiang's Uyghur population. The Uyghurs aren't the only ethnic group which is facing pressures to assimilate (I referenced earlier the way that Mongolian-primary schools are giving way to Mandarin-primary schools in which Mongolian is an elective course) but they might be facing the greatest and most direct pressure as a result of instability in the region.

The thing is, this is exactly where specific details, starting with but not limited to actual numbers, become important. There's a big difference between mandatory schooling for some adults who get to go home on weekends and for all children who board there for months, for instance. The former, more mild-sounding case still represents a top-down attempt to sculpt a population's cultural and religious beliefs to be friendlier to the state, obviously, but it's a far cry from trying to annihilate a culture outright, and as I've said before there's a sharp divide between trying to forcibly drive minorities into the workforce and trying to forcibly push minorities out of the workforce even if you use cops and holding facilities to do either job.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

A lot of people agree with you that it isn't a 'genocide' but it's designed to homogenize and culturally assimilate a smaller minority, similarly to the reservation school poo poo the US did

While also giving grants to preserve the culture?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

and the US government wants you to believe there are millions of people in them, being forcibly sterilized, as do separatist groups based out of DC, all with the goal of manufacturing consent for the new cold war, and to juice the military industrial complex so we can confront china. the sanctions have already begun. sanctions tend not to escalate, though, im sure

ah yes, sanctions, the peacekeeper's quiver of arrows,

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

While also giving grants to preserve the culture?

The US has an entire government division for this, yeah. ;)

Serf
May 5, 2011

the more i think about it, the more i agree with that poster from earlier. if we can't agree on sources of information then our realities do not intersect, and i'm not sure what sort of useful interactions can come out of that

THS
Sep 15, 2017

posting is its own point

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fanfic insert posted:

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France etc etc etc are also doing counter-terrorism stuff? whats your point? some do it more heavy handed than others and some stray into human rights abuses and others stray into genocide, like saudi arabia and the us are doing in Yemen.
my point is that "anti-terrorism" is a very popular euphemism for doing unconscionable poo poo

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

tbh it's a bit unfair to dismiss zenz as nothing but a state department shill, we should at least acknowledge his contributions to the field of theology

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

the more i think about it, the more i agree with that poster from earlier. if we can't agree on sources of information then our realities do not intersect, and i'm not sure what sort of useful interactions can come out of that

Having a thread about it for people to talk about it even if no one is convinced of anything helps take the pressure off and removes an otherwise touchy topic from other threads, at the very least.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gringostar posted:

whoopsie-doodle

quote:

Of the 110,000 Japanese Americans detained by the United States government during World War II, 30,000 were children.[128] Most were school-age children, so educational facilities were set up in the camps. Allowing them to continue their education, however, did not erase the potential for traumatic experiences during their overall time in the camps.[129] The government had not adequately planned for the camps, and no real budget or plan was set aside for the new camp educational facilities.[130] Camp schoolhouses were crowded and had insufficient materials, books, notebooks, and desks for students. Not only that the education/instruction was all in English, the schools in Japanese internment camps also didn't have any books or supplies to go on as they opened. The state decided to issue a few books only a month after the opening.[131] Wood stoves were used to heat the buildings, and instead of using separate rooms for different kinds of activities only partitions were used to accomplish that. Japanese internment camps also did not have any libraries (and consequently no library books), writing arm chairs or desks, and no science equipment.[132] These 'schoolhouses' were essentially prison blocks that contained few windows. In the Southwest, when temperatures rose and the schoolhouse filled, the rooms would be sweltering and unbearable.[130] Class sizes were immense. At the height of its attendance, the Rohwer Camp of Arkansas reached 2,339, with only 45 certified teachers.[133] The student to teacher ratio in the camps was 48:1 in elementary schools and 35:1 for secondary schools, compared to the national average of 28:1.[134] This was due to a few things. One of them was that there was a general teacher shortage in the US at the moment, and the fact that the teachers were required to live in those poor conditions in the camps themselves.[131] "There was persistent mud or dust, heat, mosquitoes, poor food and living conditions, inadequate instructional supplies, and a half mile or more walk each day just to and from the school block".[135] Despite the triple salary increase in the internment camps, they were still unable to fill in all the needed teacher positions with certified personnel, and so in the end they had to hire non-certified teacher detainees to help out the teachers as assistants.[131]

The rhetorical curriculum of the schools was based mostly on the study of "the democratic ideal and to discover its many implications".[136] English compositions researched at the Jerome and Rohwer camps in Arkansas focused on these 'American ideals', and many of the compositions pertained to the camps. Responses were varied, as schoolchildren of the Topaz camp were patriotic and believed in the war effort, but could not ignore the fact of their incarceration.[137] To build patriotism, the Japanese language was banned in the camps, forcing the children to learn English and then go home and teach their Issei parents.[138]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

"including"

weird how that was the only group they actually bothered to mention then

also weird how it turns out all these thousands of sources you keep throwing out all happen to link back to the same discredited crank. one would think that you should be able to see a pattern emerging here at some point

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

this whole thing could easily be cleared up by letting reporters tour the facilities. I'm sure it's just a big misunderstanding.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

The US has an entire government division for this, yeah. ;)

So explain how this works in China then, how are they trying to destroy the culture by first giving them decades of grants to standardize their script and language(which is different from the majority Han) only to then decades later turn around to start destroying it while also simultaneously keep giving grants to cultural centers? Are they forcing them to spend the grants on secretly embedding anti-Islam messaging in their textbooks or something? Was giving them exemptions from the 1 child policy also a plan to overpopulate them so they'd all starve or something? I don't understand how this is suppose to destroy the culture, which is what people are claiming the genocide is about.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Having a thread about it for people to talk about it even if no one is convinced of anything helps take the pressure off and removes an otherwise touchy topic from other threads, at the very least.

its entertaining, i mean, just not useful. like we're not gonna actually solve the issue of the moderation problems in this here thread, something will be arbitrarily handed down from on high, and i don't think the skeptics are gonna be happy with the result lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dolphin posted:

my point is that "anti-terrorism" is a very popular euphemism for doing unconscionable poo poo

I agree, and definitely think there's a self-serving element to the CCP's policies in Xinjiang for which counter-terrorism just serves as a pretext or excuse. The question is not whether Pres. Xi's heart weighs less than a feather, but what the self-serving element is. How is China cynically, materialistically advancing its own interests by repressing certain kinds of Islamic practice in Xinjiang? The best answer is that it is speeding up the rate at which certain rural or marginal populations enter the urban workforce.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

You're the one saying we should be looking at every at a case-by-case basis but now you're not onboard with that anymore?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

weird how that was the only group they actually bothered to mention then

also weird how it turns out all these thousands of sources you keep throwing out all happen to link back to the same discredited crank. one would think that you should be able to see a pattern emerging here at some point
they don't all link back to the same dude. the dude you're talking about is prolific and has a big mouth though. kinda like michael moore.

i am in no way defending michael moore.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

this whole thing could easily be cleared up by letting reporters tour the facilities. I'm sure it's just a big misunderstanding.

i actually don't think it would clear up anything. the chinese ccp (my bad, i shouldn't conflate the two) could put on a good show for the reporters, or the reporters could just misconstrue whatever they see inside. truth cannot be disentangled from ideology

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fanfic insert posted:

You're the one saying we should be looking at every at a case-by-case basis but now you're not onboard with that anymore?
I'm totally onboard with that. may we see the camps and the charges of everyone involved?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

I'm totally onboard with that. may we see the camps and the charges of everyone involved?

Yeah we're working on China at the moment, you wanna switch subject?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

whoopsie-doodle

and this is why i asked earlier if the Japanese language was outright banned (because i have heard different account of that at different camps), because if it was then yeah... genocide

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Dolphin posted:

wait I thought you had sources, why would you need more reporters to tour the facilities

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

i actually don't think it would clear up anything. the chinese ccp (my bad, i shouldn't conflate the two) could put on a good show for the reporters, or the reporters could just misconstrue whatever they see inside. truth cannot be disentangled from ideology
i think about this the same way i think about the camps on our borders. biden isn't letting reporters in but I'm sure everything is nice and happy there and kids arent freezing to death in cages.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

i think about this the same way i think about the camps on our borders. biden isn't letting reporters in but I'm sure everything is nice and happy there and kids are freezing to death in cages.

i'm not even sure where this is going anymore. i think having your sources discredited so easily is having a weird effect on your posting

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Serf posted:

its entertaining, i mean, just not useful. like we're not gonna actually solve the issue of the moderation problems in this here thread, something will be arbitrarily handed down from on high, and i don't think the skeptics are gonna be happy with the result lol

hopefully this is a honeypot and tomorrow we all get perma-banned. finally free

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

whoopsie-doodle

The worst part about the japanese camps is that I've been to towns in appalachia that are in worse condition

This country loving sucks

fanfic insert posted:

So explain how this works in China then, how are they trying to destroy the culture by first giving them decades of grants to standardize their script and language(which is different from the majority Han) only to then decades later turn around to start destroying it while also simultaneously keep giving grants to cultural centers? Are they forcing them to spend the grants on secretly embedding anti-Islam messaging in their textbooks or something? Was giving them exemptions from the 1 child policy also a plan to overpopulate them so they'd all starve or something? I don't understand how this is suppose to destroy the culture, which is what people are claiming the genocide is about.

There's a lot of ways you can frame things using museums to notate traditional culture as being 'outdated and archaic' and reinforce whatever modern beliefs are, and you can do similar things with textbooks in order to reinforce a specific narrative that you're looking to build. The US did it by starving out these groups, but also used framing to enforce their systems on these groups.

It's also not super weird that the opinion on these minority groups changed, since the opinion on a lot of things have shifted over time with the Party since Mao, currently landing in Xi's heavily nationalistic government

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dolphin posted:

they have

https://medium.com/@sunfeiyang/breaking-down-the-bbcs-visit-to-hotan-xinjiang-e284934a7aab

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to whether or not you personally trust the chinese government and that's going to color all of your interactions and readings of information, both from them and other groups. That's not really something this thread is going to fix tho lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

i'm not even sure where this is going anymore. i think having your sources discredited so easily is having a weird effect on your posting
i didn't read them, the point was that in response to any article whatsoever you all will just engage in character assassination and nitpicking. it's the same poo poo blue checkmarks on Twitter do if you post things about the camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

THS posted:

hopefully this is a honeypot and tomorrow we all get perma-banned. finally free

that was my initial thought about this thread. and if it's true then lol so be it