Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone know how ski instructing works in the Epic resorts? A few years back, I discovered that if you sign up for group lessons and actually know how to ski, there's a very good chance that you may be one of the few in the "advanced" group and you end up getting a private ski lesson for a group lesson price. Last week, my wife and I both signed up for a group lesson at Crested Butte, which was running a deal for an all day lesson for $100. We ended up getting a ski instructor working with just the two of us and showing us around the North Face (double black terrain with lots of tight trees/mandatory cliffs in spots that we were unfamiliar with). The guy was awesome and we got his number, but is our only option to get him again to pay Epic...$800 for a private lesson? $1200 at Vail? Is that the way this works?

Are there cheaper ways of getting ski instruction?

Most of the instructors at CB are cool and good and yes, if you’re advanced it’ll usually turn into a private or semi-private lesson. Of my two group lessons there, one became functionally private (we worked on steeps technique), and the other turned into a tour of hidden spots because a lot of the steep stuff was closed (late season). This has been my experience at other places as well. If you do get grouped up, it will usually be with someone at approximately your skill level. I wouldn’t drop $800 for a private lesson.

Verman posted:

Getting stuck on flats or an uphill as a snowboarder is lovely and there's really no way around it. Some people carry a small pole in their pack but its rare.

On skis its so much easier. You can either skate ski, side step, V walk or just muscle with your poles.

Just be sure to switch up occasionally so you don’t get scooch leg.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I was pretty close on my guesses. $783 for Full Epic, $583 for Local, Heck a 4 pack is only $323. Honestly that is all a pretty screaming deal.

This means:

1. They didn't sell very many Epic passes this year.
2. Between the price and the removal of the reservation system (which still seemed to keep things busy on the hill), Epic resorts are going to get absolutely mobbed next year.

Right?

edit: lol wrong on #1

quote:

Season pass sales through September 18, 2020 for the upcoming 2020/2021 North American ski season increased approximately 18% in units and decreased approximately 4% in sales dollars as compared to the period in the prior year through September 20, 2019, with sales dollars for this year reduced by the value of the redeemed credits provided to 2019/2020 North American pass holders. Without deducting for the value of the redeemed credits, sales dollars increased approximately 24% compared to the prior year.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 24, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

Speaking of Epic resorts, why are there so many male ski Karens at Stowe. Maybe we ski/ride like savages but I've never had so many self appointed mountain safety guys at any resort east coast or west

I don’t know about Stowe in particular but I feel like all the big east coast resorts have a high concentration of guys who’ve been driving up there for a ski week all their lives, since before the mountain was overrun with tourists, and think they’re protectors of the correct ethos of the mountain and skiing writ large.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't expect the epic resorts to really be any different than they were. Everyone is going all 2nd, 3rd, 4th level thinking on get an Ikon for less crowds. So many of my CO friends have switch to Ikon already, will they switch back... not sure.

Holidays and weekends will still be crowed at most major resorts on any pass. Weekdays less so. Spring is the best time in the resort and no one is there. The back country still has the best snow.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I was pretty close on my guesses. $783 for Full Epic, $583 for Local, Heck a 4 pack is only $323. Honestly that is all a pretty screaming deal.

I am really happy that Epic offers Vetern passes, as most places seem to only do retired or active duty. Picked up the Epic vet pass for myself and my son for about what it costs for me to get a pass with no restrictions to my local mountain, Meadows, just for myself.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I tell all my armed forces folks to get one and just come visit me. you only have to ski 2-3 days for it to be worth it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

This means:

1. They didn't sell very many Epic passes this year.
2. Between the price and the removal of the reservation system (which still seemed to keep things busy on the hill), Epic resorts are going to get absolutely mobbed next year.

Right?

edit: lol wrong on #1

I think that most of their profit probably comes from food and lodging, so the more pass holders there are and the more resorts there are on the pass the more likely someone is to say "OH hey, I normally wouldn't fly to Tahoe/Denver/Wherever, but since I have unlimited days at the big resort there, it makes the trip affordable enough". Like, I live in central Oregon and have had the epic pass two years in a row now, and just purchased it again today, so I am probably falling right into their plan.

The Epic pass for Retired and Active duty is like 175 bucks, less than a day ticket at Vail/PCMR/BC, so it is a screaming deal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think that most of their profit probably comes from food and lodging, so the more pass holders there are and the more resorts there are on the pass the more likely someone is to say "OH hey, I normally wouldn't fly to Tahoe/Denver/Wherever, but since I have unlimited days at the big resort there, it makes the trip affordable enough". Like, I live in central Oregon and have had the epic pass two years in a row now, and just purchased it again today, so I am probably falling right into their plan.

This is exactly why they bought a bunch of tiny local hills in the midwest.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ought ten posted:

I don’t know about Stowe in particular but I feel like all the big east coast resorts have a high concentration of guys who’ve been driving up there for a ski week all their lives, since before the mountain was overrun with tourists, and think they’re protectors of the correct ethos of the mountain and skiing writ large.
Some guys on the lift yelled at my daughter for skiing too fast on Liftline. Liftline is one of the notorious Front Four double blacks at Stowe. How are these guys being the speed police on what's supposed to be a double black.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

Some guys on the lift yelled at my daughter for skiing too fast on Liftline. Liftline is one of the notorious Front Four double blacks at Stowe. How are these guys being the speed police on what's supposed to be a double black.

That’s hilarious. gently caress those guys. I hope she yelled “Okay boomer” back.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verman posted:

Getting stuck on flats or an uphill as a snowboarder is lovely and there's really no way around it. Some people carry a small pole in their pack but its rare.

I can’t imagine anything less embarrassing as a snowboarder than carrying a ski pole with me in case I get stuck in the flats.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

highme posted:

I can’t imagine anything less embarrassing as a snowboarder than carrying a ski pole with me in case I get stuck in the flats.

Solution: always ride a split board as cover

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Man I thought we had to be getting close to average snowpack. 80% leaves me hoping for a very snowy offseason.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Vail resorts have those mountain safety people that issue you tickets and poo poo for going too fast, right?

I've never been to a vail resort in the winter but I've heard all about those guys. My buddy was a yellow jacket for a time and he got fired for not pulling enough peoples passes.

I've never seen speed patrols at any of the places I've skied or boarded.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Jesus lol we just ignore the yellow jackets here, they’re usually first season employees getting paid the bare minimum to wave their arms at you

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I mean I've had patrol do the 'slow down a bit' arm waves at me but I've never heard of anyone losing a pass for skiing fast at a non-vail resort.

Snowbird had a fleet of snow safety folks for a few years but they'd usually just smile and wave and have only ever said 'yeah!' or 'nice!' as I rip by. They seemed to mainly be there to help people and they haven't been around at all in a few years.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Vail resorts have those mountain safety people that issue you tickets and poo poo for going too fast, right?

I've never been to a vail resort in the winter but I've heard all about those guys. My buddy was a yellow jacket for a time and he got fired for not pulling enough peoples passes.

I've never seen speed patrols at any of the places I've skied or boarded.

I did not see a single one at Vail on Superbowl Sunday. I skied Beaver Creek for a month and only saw them a few times. They were actually moving with ski instructors and groups though, as opposed to stationary. Last season, the December prior to Covid, I went to Park City really early season when it was not crowded at all and saw multiple yellow jackets every day all over the place. I don't recall seeing any at Whistler. So it seems like it might vary a lot.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Some dipshit broke into my car and stole my jacket and goggles. So time to buy new ones. What are everyones favorite goggles currently? I'm thinking of going with the Smith 4D unless anyone has any better recommendations.

And yes I am also a dipshit for leaving this stuff in my trunk.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

Some dipshit broke into my car and stole my jacket and goggles. So time to buy new ones. What are everyones favorite goggles currently? I'm thinking of going with the Smith 4D unless anyone has any better recommendations.

I really like Outdoor Master goggles I get from Amazon. $50 for the goggles and lens, and like 30 for just a lens. So I have a bunch of lenses. They seem to work really well for me. Some of these goggles can get in the 200 dollar range and that just seems so expensive to me.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I've been happy with my Smith 4Ds and several smiths before that.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

casque posted:

I've been happy with my Smith 4Ds and several smiths before that.

I realized that they use the same lenses as their sunglasses which have been amazing for back country. Also Amazon has them for $150 so sold.

highme
May 25, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

Had a similar experience, it’s how I learned the lock for the sliding door on my old Astro didn’t always engage fully and I got to buy a bunch of new gear before a Japan trip. Haven’t tried the newer stuff but my Smith Squad XLs with Chromapop are amazing and I would have a hard time going with something else. To be fair, that’s mostly because I’m a sweaty bastard and they’re the only goggles I’ve worn in the last couple of years that don’t constantly fog up in PNW.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm not a big fan of the curved lens on the 4D Mag. Kinda distorts your vision and is distracting at times without much benefit to your FOV, I would try them on first if you can to see if it bugs you. I've been using them for the last couple seasons and when they break or get lost I'll prob get something else (Squad XL as highme said would be on my short list)

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Beginning my journey of learning to snowboard today at Park city. I'll try to drop some good pictures of my disasters.

I didn't know vail sucked when I booked.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Krataar posted:

Beginning my journey of learning to snowboard today at Park city. I'll try to drop some good pictures of my disasters.

Vail might suck, but they definitely own some of the best resorts there are out there. Park City is amazing, loved my trip there and will be going back.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krataar posted:

Vail the Company != Vail owned resorts. Vail (the company) does annoying things, but they definitely own some great resorts. Park City is great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I mean I've had patrol do the 'slow down a bit' arm waves at me but I've never heard of anyone losing a pass for skiing fast at a non-vail resort.

Snowbird had a fleet of snow safety folks for a few years but they'd usually just smile and wave and have only ever said 'yeah!' or 'nice!' as I rip by. They seemed to mainly be there to help people and they haven't been around at all in a few years.

You only lose your pass if you are being a complete jackass. Usually it is just an arm wave to slowdown. The people who bitch are usually being jackasses (jumping of blind rollers with no jumping signs, spooking beginners on schoolmarm, etc.)

Even then if they "pull your pass" you usually get a warning as the first offence (unless you are just being super egregious).

highme
May 25, 2001

A couple of seasons ago we had a mountain safety volunteer that had such a hard-on for loving with snowboarders they’d show up up at the top of course for every event to give an obnoxious lecture. Then they’d spend the rest of the day at our course exit yelling at our athletes but ignoring the spandex clad kid in full tuck ripping past the slow sign. Eventually the race director was able to communicate to that department that they were being assholes and the problem went away.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Man I thought we had to be getting close to average snowpack. 80% leaves me hoping for a very snowy offseason.

In the CAIC members update last week they said we would need 150-175% of average for the rest of the season to just get to average. That seems unlikely though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I did not see a single one at Vail on Superbowl Sunday. I skied Beaver Creek for a month and only saw them a few times. They were actually moving with ski instructors and groups though, as opposed to stationary. Last season, the December prior to Covid, I went to Park City really early season when it was not crowded at all and saw multiple yellow jackets every day all over the place. I don't recall seeing any at Whistler. So it seems like it might vary a lot.

My yellow jacket buddy fired for not meeting quotas was at Park city so that makes sense.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My yellow jacket buddy fired for not meeting quotas was at Park city so that makes sense.

I would be interested to know why Park City is so adamant about this while the rest of the resorts seem much more lax. Realistically, the way I saw it at Beaver Creek was best; with the yellow jackets going with big groups of kids/learners in classes. I feel if the run has beginners on it and people going slow and making unexpected turns even good skiers need to slow down, but if you are the only skier on the run, seems like it would be ok to speed up.

Also, one thing I noted about Park City that I really liked is that they had specified "rest zones" that were cordoned off on some of their longer runs, and that was really nice as it helped guide people to rest in safer more visible areas.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's none at Whistler this year, they just set up the slow signs and that's it, it's awesome. Although at Whistler they're always in the exact same place so everyone knows where to slow down.

I've only heard of them pulling a pass once, for two weeks here.

I had one guy follow me into the race arena once and yell at me for skiing too fast down a black run past a group of kids. For one thing, it's a black run, and for another, the kids were on the compete opposite side of the run, a solid 70 feet away from where I was skiing. I pretended to apologize and he left lol.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How was Whistler this year without foreign tourists? Was it blessedly uncrowded on the mountain? I imagine that would be awesome for the skiers, but the majority of people working in the tourist industry there, this might have been a tough year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Partial Octopus posted:

Just got some Anon M2s, haven't had them on the mountain yet, but so far i love them. Big but not gently caress-off huge. The magnetic lens change is sweet, and the magnetic neck-gaiter/facemask is super sweet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How was Whistler this year without foreign tourists? Was it blessedly uncrowded on the mountain? I imagine that would be awesome for the skiers, but the majority of people working in the tourist industry there, this might have been a tough year.

It's absolutely beautiful on weekdays. There's no one here and it's like skiing 25 years ago according to locals who are older than me and have been here for that long. Weekends are still pretty crowded with people from the city, but I've just been skiing Monday-Friday to avoid it.

It's been a tough year for a lot of businesses, no question. And we got ravaged with covid at Christmas from people visiting from other provinces. But as far as the skiing goes, it's been all-time.

Mr. Hookshot and I were getting fresh tracks off the main bowls on Harmony at 11am yesterday with two minute lift lines.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Wow, this is hard. Having fun but holy crap. Being on my butt for a year didn't help.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Krataar posted:

Wow, this is hard. Having fun but holy crap. Being on my butt for a year didn't help.

The learning curve for snowboarding is steep as compared to skiing. The other hard part is having both legs strapped in making falls, even slow ones, hurt more because once you lose your balance you're falling over. Just keep with it, take a lesson or watch some videos on technique and it will start to click.

You'll probably want some ibuprofen tomorrow for those knees, wrists, hips and butt. I'm so thankful I learned as a kid because I don't think my body could take learning how to snowboard now.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Krataar posted:

The beginning is the hardest. Take all the time you need to rest between runs, there's no prize for getting up and falling down quickly. When you decide to try something, commit to it. Snowboard handling is a lot like a bicycle --it won't turn well at super slow speeds, so you'll have to do short bursts of committing to picking up speed and riding when you want to start turning. Committing on a snowboard usually means keeping your mass forward toward your front foot instead of leaning back in fear when you get speed. Controlling and shifting your weight without leaning your upper body too much is the name of the game. Keep your chest up, and stay low and centered by bending your knees and ankles. You can always bend your knees and ankles more than you think--have someone film you for a second and it will probably confirm that you can get lower.

If anything here contradicts your instructors advice, listen to them. I'm not a snowboard instructor, just a snowboarder who couldn't ride this year and is frothing at the thought of cruising in park city. Snowboard addiction is a great modern youtube resource and snowprofessor is also older and corny but good.

Have fun!

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Ended up catching the downhill edge once. Did the full dive forward. Didn't like that. Had a couple of falls but made it down the first green run. Gotta work on turns and chaining them tomorrow but gonna push through it and try to get good the before I split. I'll get pics tomorrow. Even had some snow today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think the worst are catching a heel edge downhill. I dont recall how I did it, I think I must have hit a bump or something, but I slammed backwards pretty hard but thankfully I was wearing a helmet.