Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons.

I’m thinking about picking one of these up, the normal version. I’ve heard weird stuff about SD cards, that the Switch can be wonky about higher capacity cards. Am I good just snagging a 1TB SanDisk and calling it a day? I plan to get a lot of digital stuff, especially PC indies that got Switch ports that I never got to play.

Pro controller is expensive, am probably going to get it though. But in future, which 3rd party ones as of now are considered not lovely? I don’t mind wired, fyi. I’m going to leave the Switch docked basically 100% of the time.

Anything else I should know that’s not already in the op?

Gonna snag AC New Horizons first, MH Rise probably soon after.

I have a 1TB that works perfectly. The weird poo poo is that Amazon is mixing in legit card with knockoffs because their QC is in the toilet. Maybe buy from someone else.
8Bitdo is considered probably the best 3rd party controller company. I have one and love it to pieces.

Buy BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
People say you’re supposed to format the card as FAT32 with 64kb allocation. I’ve ignored this advice and have been fine

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I have a 1TB that works perfectly. The weird poo poo is that Amazon is mixing in legit card with knockoffs because their QC is in the toilet. Maybe buy from someone else.
8Bitdo is considered probably the best 3rd party controller company. I have one and love it to pieces.

Buy BOTW.

Yeah I don’t shop Amazon these days for that exact reason. Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Super excited, but maaaaaaan I don’t think I’ve ever bought a system with this much Ancillary BS alongside it before. At least my use case lets me skimp on the screen protector and case.

I’ll snag BoTW eventually, without a doubt. This little system has so much stuff on it I’ve wanted to play and couldn’t. I’m pumped.

e: On the subject of those PC indies... What would y’all say are the big standouts that are notably absent from PS/Xbox?

Right now I’m looking at Hades, Tangledeep, the latest Shiren The Wanderer (not PC exactly but I’m a sucker for a traditional roguelike and haven’t played one of those since SNES), and maybe a couple others? Dicey Dungeons perhaps? If there’s any other cool stuff I should be aware of, hit me.

I’ll get around to the Nintendo first party things eventually, but these smaller games are really what I’m in it for. That, and really good multiplayer stuff.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 25, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you're going to play mostly docked I would just go all out and get the pro controller now.

The joy cons kinda suck and are uncomfortable, and if you're going to spend $30 for a decent controller you may as well go all in for what I consider to be an extremely comfortable and slick controller that officially supports things like rumble, turning the console on from a distance etc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons.

I’m thinking about picking one of these up, the normal version. I’ve heard weird stuff about SD cards, that the Switch can be wonky about higher capacity cards. Am I good just snagging a 1TB SanDisk and calling it a day? I plan to get a lot of digital stuff, especially PC indies that got Switch ports that I never got to play.

Unless you just refuse to ever delete anything a 1tb card is complete overkill for the Switch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

Pro controller is expensive, am probably going to get it though. But in future, which 3rd party ones as of now are considered not lovely? I don’t mind wired, fyi. I’m going to leave the Switch docked basically 100% of the time.
The 8bitdo ones are generally considered pretty solid, they're affordable and multi console too.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really weird how well that turned out. Like I've always said, I think because there's something interesting about a setting explicitly built around a particular genre of game being explored by characters operating within a different genre.

I honestly think Tales of the Borderlands is probably my favorite telltale game. I find the writing in the BL universe to be (mostly) childish and cringe, but they managed to take the best parts and concepts from the universe, and crafted something really great.

I've recommended it to people even if they hate the mainline games, if you're a fan of TT's forumla, it's the best application of it in my opinion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

I said I like funny ones.

Man, I love that video. I've never played a Monster Hunter game and still laugh every time I watch this. :allears:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah I don’t shop Amazon these days for that exact reason. Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Super excited, but maaaaaaan I don’t think I’ve ever bought a system with this much Ancillary BS alongside it before. At least my use case lets me skimp on the screen protector and case.

I’ll snag BoTW eventually, without a doubt. This little system has so much stuff on it I’ve wanted to play and couldn’t. I’m pumped.

e: On the subject of those PC indies... What would y’all say are the big standouts that are notably absent from PS/Xbox?

Right now I’m looking at Hades, Tangledeep, the latest Shiren The Wanderer (not PC exactly but I’m a sucker for a traditional roguelike and haven’t played one of those since SNES), and maybe a couple others? Dicey Dungeons perhaps? If there’s any other cool stuff I should be aware of, hit me.

I’ll get around to the Nintendo first party things eventually, but these smaller games are really what I’m in it for. That, and really good multiplayer stuff.

Hades is good but definitely grab Shiren over Tangledeep IMO.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really appreciate that the switch doesn’t have to install cartridges. A small SD card can go a really long way on this system.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gutcruncher posted:

I really appreciate that the switch doesn’t have to install cartridges. A small SD card can go a really long way on this system.

Depends on the game, some have big patches that will eat up a ton of space on your SD card even if you have physical.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Man, I love that video. I've never played a Monster Hunter game and still laugh every time I watch this. :allears:

They are a fun watch. My kids absolutely love that channel. I hear the kirby "BOYO!" around the house pretty often.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

Depends on the game, some have big patches that will eat up a ton of space on your SD card even if you have physical.
Then there's the ones that I forget, either have a download code in the box, or have a mandatory download that's as big or bigger than the cart's contents.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

It’s not at all like the games you’ve listed, but if “small indies” is what you’re after, I cannot recommend A Short Hike enough. It’s very short - I beat it in like two sittings - but it’s also only $8 and is, and I’m not exaggerating here, the closest thing I’ve ever found to a perfect game. Like I struggle to come up with literally anything to criticize about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time are all available on multiple platforms, but they're very good on the switch. Being able to play them in bed is a game changer

I think you'll surprise yourself with how often you use it handheld. I also started out docked only, and now I don't even have the dock set up anymore. It was just gathering dust

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

RillAkBea posted:

Similarly on the subject of cross-play, Overcooked: All you can Eat just dropped on most platforms with cross-play.

(For some reason adding cross-play was a 5GB patch on PS5 :psyduck:)

I am hoping with the rumoured Switch Pro that there's a 4k patch down the road for the Switch version because I think that's the version I'm going to get (probably wait until I can grab a physical one for a bit cheaper). Switch tax vs Steam or PS4 is annoying, but portability is going to win out.

Not in a big hurry though; the only people we're playing with ATM have Overcooked 2 on Steam (as do I) so the crossplay's more academic unless I can rope some more friends or family in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched a guy on Twitch play the tower defense mode on Monster Hunter Rise and drat that looks like absolute chaos in a fun way.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons.

You don't need a 1TB card. I consider my 512GB card a bit of a frivolity I bought just because it was super cheap on sale; with 50 games installed I've only used 200GB of space. As to controller, if you're spending most of the time on the sofa just get the pro controller and be done with it. The 8bitdo SN/F30 Pro or Pro + are the best third party options, but if you were thinking you'd be spending enough money to fill a 1TB card then you certainly can afford the official pro controller.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 25, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Just watched a guy on Twitch play the tower defense mode on Monster Hunter Rise and drat that looks like absolute chaos in a fun way.

I didn't even know this was a thing... drat I need this game.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So say we do get the Switch Pro with DLSS... how hard would that be to patch into older games? A lil bit of work or a fuckton which means no one will go back and do it?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The music in Hatsune Miku Picross is weird because I actually have found myself liking the instrumental tracks of nearly all the songs better than the vocal versions. It's not just that the vocal versions don't loop (though that doesn't help) but after listening to the instrumental versions first (since you don't have to unlock those) it almost feels like the vocals "ruin" the music a bit. Some of them are great (I really like the vocal version of Last Piece) but some of them go for some wacky weird goofy sounding vocals that just don't sound good to me and detract from the music.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I will say that a good rule to follow when it comes to storage is to buy more than what you think you'll need but don't break the bank.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Postman posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing... drat I need this game.

Here's a trailer (starts around 1:30) showing off the mode. It also shows a bunch of different monsters if spoiling those concerns you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUB6ABAm80

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

I will say that a good rule to follow when it comes to storage is to buy more than what you think you'll need but don't break the bank.

Yeah you're probably right. I'm used to the overblown file sizes on other consoles. I got a 256.

Looking forward to my first Animal Crossing ever. Now the waiting.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Alan_Shore posted:

So say we do get the Switch Pro with DLSS... how hard would that be to patch into older games? A lil bit of work or a fuckton which means no one will go back and do it?

I'm not a game developer, but, hard, and nobody will do it. For that reason I suspect a hypothetical Switch Pro will have NVidia Shield style AI upscaling and not true DLSS.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

BurningBeard posted:

Gonna snag AC New Horizons first, MH Rise probably soon after.

Join us in the Animal Crossing threads!

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It depends heavily on the graphics engine. DLSS 2.0 needs engine-provided motion vectors and jitter to do its magic, which many engines won't provide automatically. Some engines like Unreal Engine 4 has been updated to support DLSS internally, so games that use those engines will likely be easy to update. Games without general support from a third-party engine will be more difficult - not necessarily a fuckton, but enough that publishers probably won't bother unless the game is still very popular and DLSS would be a significant improvement.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Counterpoint: having 1tb owns, it feels awesome to have my entire collection and over 60 percent of this thing is still fully open.

Obviously if your budget is tight you can cut back here but having an excessive amount of storage just feels awesome. also future proofing for the switch pro or whatever is next

"Go big or go home" - Walt Iwata Disney, creator of Pikmin

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

People say you’re supposed to format the card as FAT32 with 64kb allocation. I’ve ignored this advice and have been fine

That was important for the 3DS, not so much for the Switch.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah if they weren't disgustingly expensive I'd get a 1TB. I have a 400 and I'm now at the point I have to delete things to make room, although I have bought a lot of games/DLC

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I could see live service games like Fortnite / Apex doing it but I doubt many of the games that have already shipped would even bother.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KingSlime posted:

"Go big or go home" - Walt Iwata Disney, creator of Pikmin

:haibrower:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The 8BitDo controllers are generally considered the highest quality for third-party. They have the SN30 Pro 2 coming out next month.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BurningBeard posted:

If you like investigating/exploring, I'm usually here pimping Paradise Killer, check my post history in this thread for more info about the game.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s not at all like the games you’ve listed, but if “small indies” is what you’re after, I cannot recommend A Short Hike enough. It’s very short - I beat it in like two sittings - but it’s also only $8 and is, and I’m not exaggerating here, the closest thing I’ve ever found to a perfect game. Like I struggle to come up with literally anything to criticize about it.

Also seconding this!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I honestly think Tales of the Borderlands is probably my favorite telltale game. I find the writing in the BL universe to be (mostly) childish and cringe, but they managed to take the best parts and concepts from the universe, and crafted something really great.

I've recommended it to people even if they hate the mainline games, if you're a fan of TT's forumla, it's the best application of it in my opinion.

Yeah, Tales from the Borderlands was amazing, and actually managed to make me emotional (Scooter... :() It also had an excellent soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5CGz3X0bU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - Still the only good Borderlands game.

Libluini posted:

I prefer JoCat, but they haven't updated in a while.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Tales from the Borderlands is excellent and probably one of the best uses of the modern Telltale formula.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Araxxor posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is excellent and probably one of the best uses of the modern Telltale formula.

The “shootout” scene in that game was incredible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Commander Keene posted:

The 8BitDo controllers are generally considered the highest quality for third-party. They have the SN30 Pro 2 coming out next month.

I consider it better than the Nintendo pro controller if you are using the D-pad in a game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PneumonicBook posted:

Haha look at this person without kids. All my kids do when they play 3D World is scream about power ups and yell at each other to slow down. It's mostly a nightmare.

My kids love watching me play it and they scream like wild when Cat Mario becomes a giant flaming lion.

Also: just get Smash Bros Ultimate and let your kids virtually wail on each other. Then swoop in like a hero to beat the unlock battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To be fair Smash is pretty much virtual action figures. Let them create their own scenarios and do great fight sequences.