Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Wasn't there an indie Lovecraft RPG that got people excited a couple years back and then it turned out the game just stops halfway through the second act or something?

Stygian

Its even funnier because they outright admitted they decided to leave the game unfinished rather than give it a truncated ending but the game is still full of things like quests that mean nothing and are uncompletable. Also the ending to the game isn't a "ok and it just ends, sorry" cutoff, its a massive switch and setup with no explanation that has you murder one of your own party members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, it has some issues. Apparently the explanation for the dungeon design is literally "one overenthusiastic new employee designed all the dungeons without asking anyone else, and we were under pressure to finish the game ASAP so we shipped it like that."

It's possible to get through the game mostly without grinding if you stick with one party the whole time and find all the infinite-use healing items scattered around the midgame dungeons. If you want to actually keep everyone levelled and geared up, good luck with that. (The character balance is pretty off, too; there's rarely ever a reason not to use Rudo, while Hugh becomes unusable once you start running into enemies that are immune to his techniques... not that he was great to begin with, since the dungeons are so long that you can't afford to spam offensive techs.)

The plot is mostly notable for the fact that pretty much everything that happens in it is some kind of new and horrible disaster that comes out of nowhere, which at least fits with the gameplay.

And this is all coming from someone who liked the game enough to play through it several times. I can't actually recommend that anyone else do the same.

how do you deal with the difficulty spike on dezoris without grinding? i was around level 20 when i got there (having stuck with one party, even) and had to get to 30-ish to not be obliterated in the dungeons. free gires doesn't help when running into the wrong enemy formation can wipe the whole party in four turns.

i did see in an interview with yuji naka that while the storyboarding and art was done over the course of a year, the actual implementation was done in three months...which explains a lot. the time pressure of being a launch title brutalized this game.

Ethiser posted:

I remember getting the Phantasy Star Collection for GBA as a kid and somehow I had heard that Phantasy Star 2 was the best one. Boy was I extremely disappointed. Three isn't great, but at least it had some interesting ideas.

i think you can't underestimate the "wow factor" that PS2 would have had at launch. it definitely has a certain "the future is now" quality to it and many of its sins were not unusual ones for RPGs of the era, just surprising in the context of almost exactly the same team having made the first game. but then, the failure is at the scenario design level and i think that was the one major position on the dev team that changed between the two titles.

you could probably make a hell of a rom hack out of it because all of the pieces of a good game are here, they're just not assembled correctly

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Jazerus posted:

how do you deal with the difficulty spike on dezoris without grinding? i was around level 20 when i got there (having stuck with one party, even) and had to get to 30-ish to not be obliterated in the dungeons. free gires doesn't help when running into the wrong enemy formation can wipe the whole party in four turns.

Mostly I spent a lot of time dicking around in Skure to get all the treasure there and gained levels naturally along the way. Also, have someone with high Agility use the Snow Crown turn 1 in every fight, since it halves all damage taken. It's still a pain.

quote:

you could probably make a hell of a rom hack out of it because all of the pieces of a good game are here, they're just not assembled correctly

There's a high-difficulty romhack, if you can believe that. (It also replaces all of the dialogue with literal Objectivist propaganda, because, well, because.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zore posted:

I'm still kind of amazed the Phantasy Star 4 style of cutscenes never really caught on. It looks great even today but the only other games I can even think of that play with it are like... Sly Cooper?

Yeah, it's honestly weird as hell. The manga/comic style looks great and saves a ridiculous amount of budget that'd otherwise be spent on cutscenes.

Thuryl posted:

If nothing else, PS3 is definitely the easiest game in the series. Most of the new ideas it has either don't really work or aren't fully implemented, but you're not likely to get hopelessly stuck. (I mean, unless you run into one of the bugs that lets you get hopelessly stuck.)

PS2 and PS3 both have ambitions that outstrip their medium at the time. PS2 was trying to tell what was a remarkably dark, serious story for its era - Nei just gets loving murked, and this was in 1989! - but the Genesis couldn't manage the kind of fidelity you needed for it to really hit home, and the state of RPG design at the time bogs the whole thing down in the tedium of Draque level grinding and featureless dungeon slogs. Similarly, PS3 had this tremendously grand vision of a generations-spanning epic where the actions of the past echo far into the future, but game design as an artform and the technical requirements for something that expansive just weren't there.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Listening to some VTM Bloodlines music and got me thinking...

What are the greatest blatantly incomplete RPGs? I got:
VTM Bloodlines (duh)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

I don't know if New Vegas should go on here. It really isn't so clearly held together by string at the end like those games.

What are some others?

Tyranny.

Half the enemies you fight are a particle effect and the game just assumes you took one of two endings.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

VTM Bloodlines (duh)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

I don't know if New Vegas should go on here. It really isn't so clearly held together by string at the end like those games.

What are some others?

Secret of Mana is great and extremely blatantly unfinished, IIRC a bunch of the staff got pulled off to work on Chrono Trigger at the last minute and that's why the story feels like it's built out of toothpicks and cotton balls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well its translation being kind of a wonky mess doesn't help

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is probably a bit of a borderline answer, but Neverwinter Nights 2 has always stuck with me as something that could've been one of the greats. The last-minute rush to get the game out the door hampered a lot of the optimizations it desperately needed, and the decision to make the toolset more full-featured - but also more obtuse - killed a lot of the potential mod community. The fact that going back to play Mask of the Betrayer is more of a chore than a joy because of how dang clunky the whole experience is makes me sad in a way that's hard to describe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

VTM Bloodlines (duh)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

What are some others?

Everything else Troika did (Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil)

loquacius posted:

Secret of Mana is great and extremely blatantly unfinished, IIRC a bunch of the staff got pulled off to work on Chrono Trigger at the last minute and that's why the story feels like it's built out of toothpicks and cotton balls

It was originally planned to be a SNES CD game but when that project fell through it got hastily cut back to to fit on a standard cart.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anachronox was finished but it builds so much to a cliffhanger ending for a sequel that never came.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

VTM Bloodlines (duh)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

What are some others?

Dark Souls :getin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

VTM Bloodlines (duh)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross

What are some others?

Final Fantasy 7 ReMake

Those motherfuckers cut out a second Roche fight and I will never forgive them for that

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zore posted:

I'm still kind of amazed the Phantasy Star 4 style of cutscenes never really caught on. It looks great even today but the only other games I can even think of that play with it are like... Sly Cooper?

Not having played any PS but looking up PS4 cutscenes on YouTube, if you are talking about doing the cut in comic panel thing, I've seen that in quite a few lower budget or midrange games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Weirdly enough Scarlet Nexus seems to be doing that for some of its cutscenes, to.. alleviate the "3D models barely animated standing around in cutscenes" thing a bit, though it still uses the 3D models for them.

Anyway always be playing PS IV.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Weirdly enough Scarlet Nexus seems to be doing that for some of its cutscenes, to.. alleviate the "3D models barely animated standing around in cutscenes" thing a bit, though it still uses the 3D models for them.

Anyway always be playing PS IV.

Is the steam version fine or should I try to find some other?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hel posted:

Steam is fine; it's just the original Genesis game packaged with an emulator. If you'd prefer it on a handheld platform, it's part of the Mega Drive/Genesis collection for Switch as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasy Star IV is an absurdly good game and they should do a Switch Sega Ages port like Phantasy Star 1

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I've been going through some of the Gold Box games recently as well as other dungeon crawler-y stuff like The Dark Heart of Uukrul, and I'm looking for recommendations on other similar games. Something turn-based, preferably with tactical combat, but maybe with some mod cons missing from a lot of older games.

For example, I really like the quest structure and combat in Pool of Radiance, but the economy and encumberance systems are really tedious, and some of its underlying rules are a bit opaque to me - in general, I would prefer it if I didn't have to constantly look up things from outside the game but rather be taught what I need to know through gameplay. Automapping would be another big plus, since I have a really bad sense of direction in games like these and without help can get lost circling the same corridors endlessly. Uukrul is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I feel it's still a bit too confusing to navigate sometimes, and its combat isn't quite as varied as in the Gold Box games.

Any ideas? Doesn't matter if it's new, retro or indie, or PC, console or mobile. It doesn't have to be fantasy-themed either, just something with an interesting world, clear objectives and thoughtful combat, but also maybe with more of a pick-up-and-play sensibility than some of the classics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hel posted:

Thuryl posted:

Steam is fine; it's just the original Genesis game packaged with an emulator. If you'd prefer it on a handheld platform, it's part of the Mega Drive/Genesis collection for Switch as well.

Yeah it never got a gussied up version and didn't really need it from a balance/convenience point of view. The (JP but it has English support) PS2 Phantasy Star Sega AGES Collection has some nice cheats if you just wanted to blast through but you could do much the same in a standard Mega Drive emulator anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

Phantasy Star IV is an absurdly good game and they should do a Switch Sega Ages port like Phantasy Star 1
Pretty sure Sega announced that they weren't gonna do any more Sega Ages stuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thuryl posted:

There's a high-difficulty romhack, if you can believe that. (It also replaces all of the dialogue with literal Objectivist propaganda, because, well, because.)
aww come on you can't just drop this and go away you gotta :justpost: more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasy Star IV is insanely good and I think it's one of the first JRPGs I actually finished as a kid. All the science fiction-y elements really grabbed my attention when I was a kid, especially because I was used to more specifically medieval fantasy-themed JRPGs. There are moments from that game that still stick with me and I honestly don't know when the last time I replayed it is, but it's a long time ago.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 25, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

loquacius posted:

The story I’ve heard from a bunch of podcasts is that it was slated to be a SNES CD game for the add-on that was supposed to be made. When the add-on never happened, they had to cut a ton of stuff out.

Unfortunately the stuff that got cut out was never documented/saved anywhere so when it came to remaking the game later on, they couldn’t put that stuff back in so it will forever be an unfinished game unless someone decides to tackle it and fill in any blanks.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

fallout 2 seems like an obvious one, some would argue for kotor2 though i feel less strongly about that one as time goes by

tales of xillia and xillia 2 are what i'd say personally. wildly jank and they clearly recut their scripts two or three or seven times but they're still fun. maybe berseria but the thing is outside of being awkwardly rushed and on a super dated engine it's still more finished than those games

Really the jankiest part of Berseria is the text subtitles towards the end of the game in skits and side quests.

It looks like they lost the script after voice acting those scenes, ran out of time, and then ran the voice acting through speech to text and hoped no one would notice they didn't edit it.

Seriously: https://legendsoflocalization.com/this-be-bad-translation-08-tales-of-berseria/

It just gets crazier and crazier towards the end of the game. Luckily the voice acting is completely fine and well translated, for the most part!

Though if I'm being honest I'd love to hear the characters read the lines as shown on the screen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
those dont affect all the skit subs in the end game, they only affect the sidequest ones weirdly enough

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

Pretty sure Sega announced that they weren't gonna do any more Sega Ages stuff.

I mean, PS2, PS3 and PS4 are all part of their Sega Collection for the Switch, so they apparently thought selling them again as Sega Ages versions would be redundant.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

am i missing something or are traps completely useless in dragon age origins

it takes so long to just set a single trap that if you try to do it at the start of an encounter the enemy will have time to run up to you and punch you in the face three times before it's even down. and don't even think about actually strategically positioning them!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

loquacius posted:

IIRC, SoM was finished but content was cut for reasons including that they were hitting the max storage on the cartridge and even truncated text to make things fit the limited space.

The Black Stones posted:

The story I’ve heard from a bunch of podcasts is that it was slated to be a SNES CD game for the add-on that was supposed to be made. When the add-on never happened, they had to cut a ton of stuff out.

Unfortunately the stuff that got cut out was never documented/saved anywhere so when it came to remaking the game later on, they couldn’t put that stuff back in so it will forever be an unfinished game unless someone decides to tackle it and fill in any blanks.

Saving code and assets has traditionally been really bad and while it's better now I'm sure there's a lot of stuff from even the last 10 years that's gone too unless a dev who worked on it happens to find an old USB or hard drive with some code on it (I think Beamdog experienced this with the BG:EE stuff?).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

am i missing something or are traps completely useless in dragon age origins

it takes so long to just set a single trap that if you try to do it at the start of an encounter the enemy will have time to run up to you and punch you in the face three times before it's even down. and don't even think about actually strategically positioning them!
Everything that isnt aoe magic is useless honestly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, SoM was finished but content was cut for reasons including that they were hitting the max storage on the cartridge and even truncated text to make things fit the limited space.

Saving code and assets has traditionally been really bad and while it's better now I'm sure there's a lot of stuff from even the last 10 years that's gone too unless a dev who worked on it happens to find an old USB or hard drive with some code on it (I think Beamdog experienced this with the BG:EE stuff?).

Hell I just read an article today about the upcoming Ninja Gaiden collection how they wanted to include Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II but had to go with the Sigma versions because Koei Tecmo lost the original code for both. And those are games from 2004 and 2008!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Everything that isnt aoe magic is useless honestly
stabbing things in the back has proven to be quite effective so far, certainly far more than trying to finagle these

E: and i'm asking not because i want to hear that magic is OP (i knew that) but because i want to know if there's something actually here if you invest into traps or if they remain as bad as they seem

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Forktoss posted:

I've been going through some of the Gold Box games recently as well as other dungeon crawler-y stuff like The Dark Heart of Uukrul, and I'm looking for recommendations on other similar games. Something turn-based, preferably with tactical combat, but maybe with some mod cons missing from a lot of older games.

For example, I really like the quest structure and combat in Pool of Radiance, but the economy and encumberance systems are really tedious, and some of its underlying rules are a bit opaque to me - in general, I would prefer it if I didn't have to constantly look up things from outside the game but rather be taught what I need to know through gameplay. Automapping would be another big plus, since I have a really bad sense of direction in games like these and without help can get lost circling the same corridors endlessly. Uukrul is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I feel it's still a bit too confusing to navigate sometimes, and its combat isn't quite as varied as in the Gold Box games.

Any ideas? Doesn't matter if it's new, retro or indie, or PC, console or mobile. It doesn't have to be fantasy-themed either, just something with an interesting world, clear objectives and thoughtful combat, but also maybe with more of a pick-up-and-play sensibility than some of the classics.

I mean... the Gold Box games are fairly unique in that regard. On console the closest you're gonna get are Strategy RPGs, which, by and large, do not really have interesting quest structures and are very much not pick-up-and-play in any sense.

PC RPGs mostly moved on to real-time action or RTwP systems. The best I can think of, off the top of my head, with actual strategic combat would be Temple of Elemental Evil, which is a pretty solid game if you patch the ever-loving crap out of it and virtually unplayable if you don't. Modern RPGs are starting to get back to more tactical, turn-based gameplay as well, though they're very far away, conceptually, from a Gold Box game. But there's stuff like Divinity: Original Sin 1+2 and the more modern 5e games in Early Access (Baldur's Gate 3 and Solasta, though the latter is more "dungeon crawl" than "go on quests!")

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

stabbing things in the back has proven to be quite effective so far, certainly far more than trying to finagle these

E: and i'm asking not because i want to hear that magic is OP (i knew that) but because i want to know if there's something actually here if you invest into traps or if they remain as bad as they seem
traps are especially useless, yes

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well, good to know. shame, since there seem to be an awful lot of them with different neat effects available and the whole system would be totally fine if you could deploy them in less than ten seconds

i guess there's probably a mod that makes them good but i'd rather not dabble with those on a first playthrough

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1375163331682709509

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Couple things:
  • Escaping from battle without increasing the battle count is a huge QoL upgrade. Very happy about that.
  • Will the NG+ option let you carry over progress when you start a new character's route, or is it only for replaying the same character? The article wasn't clear on that. If it lets you carry over progress between characters that's a pretty interesting addition and will make it easier for people who don't have the inclination to start from scratch eight times to see the whole story.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Harrow posted:

Couple things:
  • Will the NG+ option let you carry over progress when you start a new character's route, or is it only for replaying the same character? The article wasn't clear on that. If it lets you carry over progress between characters that's a pretty interesting addition and will make it easier for people who don't have the inclination to start from scratch eight times to see the whole story.

it's unclear from the original famitsu article, but it does seem to be the same system they implemented in RS2 and RS3 where you can start over at any time and keep all your stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who is spearheading this charge to lovingingly modernize and polish old jrpgs? It's not the same guy who says put a blurry filter and a widescreen-patch on a 16-bit game and calls it a day.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who is spearheading this charge to lovingingly modernize and polish old jrpgs? It's not the same guy who says put a blurry filter and a widescreen-patch on a 16-bit game and calls it a day.

in the case of saga frontier it's kawazu himself spending some clout to do the game the way he always wanted to do it, plus a few modern conveniences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf saga frontier was also the high watermark for the saga series both in terms of quality and sales. its like the 14th best selling ps1 game of all time in japan, and that system had some real killers. so in terms of it getting a loving remake its not that strange a choice