Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hm, it seems Google have decided to rename Old Street roundabout in Google Maps?

Silly wankers

e: 139% is how excited an average Googler is about ~tech startups~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I would be very happy with more fish in my diet, I like fish.

So do I but I'm worried about the state of cockles, I don't know if we've over harvested them or what but they seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

jaete posted:

Hm, it seems Google have decided to rename Old Street roundabout in Google Maps?

Silly wankers

It's a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_Tech_City
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/silicon-roundabout-tech-city-property

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ballie Ballerson and Enver Hoxton are both pro forums names

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

jaete posted:

Silly wankers

google's always been weird about naming locations in London - I just had a look around my area on google maps and I don't recognize like half of district names that are on there. i assume some of them are like the names of old parishes and wards and whatnot but some I can't trace at all

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

So do I but I'm worried about the state of cockles, I don't know if we've over harvested them or what but they seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

I like fish but I hardly eat it any more due to overfishing etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Overfishing really shouldn't be a problem, we just look at how many potatoes we've got and catch the proportionate amount of fish.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1375170710709080066?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Follow me, don't follow me. I've got my spine I've got my orange top.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Eddy-Baby posted:

A friend requested a primer on "politics"; they have not been interested in this, ever, but it seems they might be starting to notice that Bad Things are Happening. The recommended reading for this thread seems a bit heavy, though. Any thoughts on what/where I could send them?

Ken Loach films make a good jumping off point if you can pick one that is relatable to your friend's experiences or background. Have they ever had to sign on or owned a kestrel for example.
Classic texts like the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists are great and all but unless your friend is a joiner from the 19th century there's a chance they'll come away thinking "thank god we have cordless screwdrivers now" rather than recognising the similarities.
That said the newly released graphic novel of it looks really nice.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

We All Drink His Milk Down Here. Join Usssss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He drinks his milk(shake). He drinks it up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My milk brings gatherings of either 6 people or 2 households to the yard but not indoors.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is the milk supposed to be cover for leaving the house during lockdown? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

My milk brings gatherings of either 6 people or 2 households to the yard but not indoors.

You could risk it, but they would levy a fee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bessantj posted:

Nah see you're meant to measure along the underside, not the top.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Broxbourne used to get double-digits vote share for the BNP, so the milk thing could be nazi-related for all I know or care

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh this is officially weird now knowing his mental health issues, like he’s been super open about how ill he has been at times and that is a picture of someone who is clearly not very well. I get boo hiss Tories but with this he’s gone from someone we could work with, and was willing to work with red Labour when others were not, to having a public breakdown.

This is the man who convinced the Tory backbenchers to go against the whip and keep Bercow as speaker with one of the best speeches I’ve ever heard, not the milk guy :(

Edit: his wedding ring is gone, drat. Not surprised to see the usual media melts on twitter jumping on this, they must know he’s had issues god drat vultures.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 25, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

therattle posted:

I like fish but I hardly eat it any more due to overfishing etc.

With fish exports down I've found it's a good time to buy fish. But yeah over fishing and fish farms are a problem.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

New guidelines indicate this is the only kind of gathering you can legally have with persons outside of your household:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm a pretty light drinker, I only need half a liter of vodka to get to that tipsy state where I have a lot of ideas and not much in the way of inhibitions. After a liter I start getting wobbly and having trouble staying on my feet. After that it's just beers for me, I don't need to always get super drunk.

uuuhhhhh ....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mano posted:

uuuhhhhh ....

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I guess it's all relative?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ita a dumb thing. We already have a 'British Silicon Valley', its called Cambridge. Granted we let our equivalent of Apple be flogged off first to the Japanese and now the Americans.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

the miwkman cometh

https://twitter.com/MikeGapes/status/1375192275941212171?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

Yeh this is officially weird now knowing his mental health issues, like he’s been super open about how ill he has been at times and that is a picture of someone who is clearly not very well. I get boo hiss Tories but with this he’s gone from someone we could work with, and was willing to work with red Labour when others were not, to having a public breakdown.

This is the man who convinced the Tory backbenchers to go against the whip and keep Bercow as speaker with one of the best speeches I’ve ever heard, not the milk guy :(

Edit: his wedding ring is gone, drat. Not surprised to see the usual media melts on twitter jumping on this, they must know he’s had issues god drat vultures.

Assuming that a Tory taking a really dumb view on civil liberties is because of his mental health problems (OCD as far as I can find?) instead of just the fact that libertarians are loving psychos is an interesting choice.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mano posted:

I guess it's all relative?

Don't go drinking with Finns.

You will end up developing a taste for ammonium chloride and industrial spirits and that stuff is hard to find on the isles, doubly so after Brexit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Starmer to soon tweet that milk is ok.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Can someone remind me of how Mike Gapes came to be associated so heavily with milk?
I've completely forgotten.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The latest smoothbrained covid thunk is that the swabs they use for the tests are coated with ethylene oxide, which causes brain cancer and destroys DNA.

Even disregarding that ethylene oxide is a gas at RTP, specifically so that it can be used to sterilize things like swabs and only be present in totally negligible quantities once a sterile swab is ready to use, or that 'destroys DNA' is why it is used to remove pathogens in the first place, or that it causes cancer in the same way that benzene does, by long term chronic exposure (usually occupational) increasing your statistical risk of developing certain cancers, rather than because you touched a benzene once, the loving cherry on the top is that the studies that were commissioned to find and prove this carcinogenicity that are being passed around were all commissioned by the World Health Organization, who they have currently decided to cite as a reliable source.

:lmao:

(I mean, it's better than most of the sources that the David Icke Covid-hoax crew usually cite, but still :lmao:)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can someone remind me of how Mike Gapes came to be associated so heavily with milk?
I've completely forgotten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yoLarLDMk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He is the man who gave us the miwk from the norf and the miwk from the sahf camin togever to make cream.

This is how irish peace was achieved.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Ita a dumb thing. We already have a 'British Silicon Valley', its called Cambridge. Granted we let our equivalent of Apple be flogged off first to the Japanese and now the Americans.

That's the Silicon Fen and our equivalent of Apple was bought out by a hifi-making spiv. Acorn/ARM are if anything SGI or maaaaaybe DEC - world leaders at one point who really didn't know what to actually do with it and then get gobbled up by the less-remarkable (although it's really not a perfect comparison because ARM's period of world-leadership was much, much longer).

(I started going into a rant about the utter waste of space of the current Hoxton fart-app reptiles all being at Old Street when every ISP in the country *should* be there because basically every major network in the country, more or less coincidentally, goes within a hundred yards of that roundabout, but I was boring even myself so I stopped)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 25, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the Silicon Fen and our equivalent of Apple was bought out by a hifi-making spiv. Acorn/ARM are if anything SGI or maaaaaybe DEC - world leaders at one point who really didn't know what to actually do with it and then get gobbled up by the less-remarkable (although it's really not a perfect comparison because ARM's period of world-leadership was much, much longer).

(I started going into a rant about the utter waste of space of the current Hoxton fart-app reptiles all being at Old Street when every ISP in the country *should* be there because basically every major network in the country, more or less coincidentally, goes within a hundred yards of that roundabout, but I was boring even myself so I stopped)

And of course there was the Silicon Glen but I'm not sure there's much left there at this point.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ITYF the current branding is 'arm', they gave me a water bottle when I worked there and everything. Thing is they were and even currently are doing just fine in their core business despite Softbank having pushed them to expand unsustainably fast since the acquisition.

However, unlike the yanks who talk the talk about free trade but would never actually let a foreigner buy a company like that, our politicians have fully drunk the Kool Aid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Aren't ARM/arm processors in like half the computing devices in the world? I think it's fair to say they're still world leaders in at least the sense of widespread use.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

feedmegin posted:

ITYF the current branding is 'arm', they gave me a water bottle when I worked there and everything. Thing is they were and even currently are doing just fine in their core business despite Softbank having pushed them to expand unsustainably fast since the acquisition.
Yeah basically all the phone processors are some flavour of ARM. The only really relevant market segment they don't have a major presence in (so far) is data centres afaik, technically desktop PCs but I think that's less profitable anyway.

quote:

However, unlike the yanks who talk the talk about free trade but would never actually let a foreigner buy a company like that, our politicians have fully drunk the Kool Aid.

Yeah absolutely. Back in the days of empire, the upper class had the sense not to retool the homeland according to oversimplified economic theories (Britain, eternal home of textile manufacturing according to comparative advantage). Trying that poo poo out was for the colonies so in the likely case of things going wrong the only casualties would be a bunch of brown people rather than the wealth and convenience of the upper class.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Don't go drinking with Finns.

:rip: Alexi Laiho

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah basically all the phone processors are some flavour of ARM. The only really relevant market segment they don't have a major presence in (so far) is data centres afaik, technically desktop PCs but I think that's less profitable anyway.

AWS will do you an arm node these days I believe.

Edit: half the computing devices? Try 90% plus. Embedded is a thing. Your washing machine is a computing device.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Your washing machine is a computing device.

pretty misogynist but okay