Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Toad needed like...2 more episodes I think but I can imagine that series hit a wall haha.

oh drat it got 13 episodes i feel i may have missed these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
There's also a Please Retweet crossover in the Griffin's Amiibo Corner finale.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It sounds like what Travis needs is a new brand.

https://youtu.be/rPHK494AUxE

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeCosimano/status/1373748247907368962

evo was sick this year

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
New much squad incoming. No clue why it isnt called Peepsi.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1375101677976477698

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Popeyes fish sandwich is really good but I think that chain has the biggest gap between a good location and a bad one

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Pladdicus posted:

Toad needed like...2 more episodes I think but I can imagine that series hit a wall haha.

oh drat it got 13 episodes i feel i may have missed these.

Was BDG the fellow that was trying to get Nintendo to retweet that picture of Toad? Those were good videos.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bugsy posted:

New much squad incoming. No clue why it isnt called Peepsi.

ready to smash that skip :15 button

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Warbird posted:

Was BDG the fellow that was trying to get Nintendo to retweet that picture of Toad? Those were good videos.

That was the criminally underused Patrick Gill of Polygon. Who while not as obviously talented as BDG still 100% deserves to be elsewhere doing bigger and better things.

Edit: omg that Daigo video a few posts up, loving lol

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

inferis posted:

The Popeyes fish sandwich is really good but I think that chain has the biggest gap between a good location and a bad one

The biggest gap in the world is the distance between me and the nearest Popeye's. An hour's drive is almost worth it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Griffin, Patrick and BDG are the three evolutionary points of a pokemon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
sigh

*unrolls scroll of polygon fanfics where Patrick is clearly listed as BDG's senpai*

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I'm still following TAZ. Justin is the light shining in the darkness. The railroad is still very much in effect, however. Honestly unsure how much farther this arc is intended to go as pacing and plot is so oddly both out the window and in your face, but Travis has declared this is their last level-up so probably not much longer in the grand scheme.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYespfZgeWQ griffin's amiibo corner is a real treat. it's definitely one of those series where if when they take the bit too far outfield you'll hate it (clown box, anything that he did with nick) but the whole premise is great and it ends about when it would have gotten old imo.

this was the first mcelroy thing id ever seen. so when i first watched monster factory it was weird to hear griffin's real voice

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Did Travis get buthurt about not being good at fighting games?

That's some strong "dark souls is made wrong" energy

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Jestery posted:

Did Travis get buthurt about not being good at fighting games?

That's some strong "dark souls is made wrong" energy

His speech is taken from an among us stream, just look on youtube you can easily find the clip. I can't even bring myself to seek it out again.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ahhh gotcha

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao at not recognizing evo moment #37

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Alaois posted:

lmao at not recognizing evo moment #37

2004 Winamp crew reporting.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Jestery posted:

Ahhh gotcha

If you really hate yourself the full clip is further down in the twitter chain, but no highly esteemed deed is commemorated there

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm still following TAZ. Justin is the light shining in the darkness. The railroad is still very much in effect, however. Honestly unsure how much farther this arc is intended to go as pacing and plot is so oddly both out the window and in your face, but Travis has declared this is their last level-up so probably not much longer in the grand scheme.

Extremely familiar "this game is falling apart" nervous energy around the gaming table when Travis started berating Justin for zoning out and not paying attention to the name of the NPC he had just been interacting with.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

koshmar posted:

If you really hate yourself the full clip is further down in the twitter chain, but no highly esteemed deed is commemorated there

There is a reason I was not familiar with it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Justin does zone out a lot though; that ain't just a TAZ thing

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

For sure, it's why the Besties needs to end (the other reason being the two Brothers should be using that time to make more video game content on youtube), he just gets to that 59 minute mark and it's a hard out, it's so obvious he doesnt want to be there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shinjobi posted:

I wish I could remember what bit it was, but there's at least one where Justin checks out so hard that he basically forgets the basic premise of the question and Travis and Griffin punish him for the next few minutes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's easily one of the shittiest things to do and I wish Justin was dragged for it more often.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
One of them screwing up and the other two railing on them for it is my favorite part of MBMBAM, or any podcast tbh

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
In the Money Zone announcements Travis says that they've finished recording the remaining episodes of Graduation in anticipation of Griffin's paternity leave, so it should be over very soon now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't hate Graduation but it's super weird that the entire setting is built around the theatrical heroes vs. villains acting as contractors conceit, and then that's never or barely relevant to anything that happens in the game.

There's the "we have to tear this rotten system down!" bit but that feels more like a reaction to its irrelevance than anything. Plus, it would land better that this was a rotten system if we saw what it looked like in practise, rather than just in theory. I think the only exploits the Thundermen are sent on as junior villains are basically just them doing bog-standard adventuring stuff.

It would have been cool to have (say) the Commodore arc introduced by the Thundermen being hired on as a squad of villains who were meant to job to the Commodore and make him look good, and saw how much of a hypocritical tool he was in the process. Then you get to see this antagonist in his element and you get to see very directly why this system is broken.

The closest the game in practise comes to illustrating that, I think, is the fact that Althea is comically bad at her job despite being a high-ranking hero, which seems like an accident because I think she's meant to be competent.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah but we had to have a dimensional threat that everyone united against.

TAZ is in love with the final fantasy final boss as a concept.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Android Blues posted:

The closest the game in practise comes to illustrating that, I think, is the fact that Althea is comically bad at her job despite being a high-ranking hero, which seems like an accident because I think she's meant to be competent.

This probably came to pass as a result of Travis being a little too in love with his NPCs. When they were all introduced, they were all introduced as amazing and impressive and none of them really had flaws. He seemed to be having trouble joining in on goofs in early episodes because he couldn't really imagine his characters as being jerks or jokey. I think now that he's trying harder with his campaign(and he is trying harder), he realizes that his NPCs can't keep outshining the PCs at every turn.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don’t want to pile on the Travis hate because I find him annoying but if he reined it back he’d be fine

I tapped out of graduation when he went on Twitter and said in response to criticism he’s not changing his DM style so if you don’t like it stop listening this was around imp hospital

It’s good to know he’s actually trying to not railroad and take over the table as much, won’t make me listen to graduation but good to know

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
First of all it was "mission imp hospital". secondly I really think it was travis trying to punish the listeners by pretending "this what TAZ would be like if we actually played DND" and it was by far the best episodes of graduation.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Someone in this thread recommended a Podcast called Let's Make A Music. What order am I supposed to listen to them in? Are those minus numbers counting down to zero, and then back up again? Or are they listed in a weird order?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

This probably came to pass as a result of Travis being a little too in love with his NPCs. When they were all introduced, they were all introduced as amazing and impressive and none of them really had flaws. He seemed to be having trouble joining in on goofs in early episodes because he couldn't really imagine his characters as being jerks or jokey. I think now that he's trying harder with his campaign(and he is trying harder), he realizes that his NPCs can't keep outshining the PCs at every turn.

Yeah, I don't think this was even necessarily Travis trying to outshine the PCs initially - it felt like he was just focused so hard on roleplaying characters as he'd written them that he couldn't loosen them up to go with the improv. Then there would be designated "joke" characters like Gary or Festo where he could do jokes but because they were a repository for every cutesy gag it felt hyper-concentrated.

Festo still feels that way honestly. The voice is bad, the character has one beat (they're a silly fairy who likes to party, but get this, they're a teacher!), and the "I got the drugs from Walter the White!" joke in this week's episode was straight up painful.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah but we had to have a dimensional threat that everyone united against.

TAZ is in love with the final fantasy final boss as a concept.

i think it's more of a persona final boss concept. in that series they tend towards being wholly thematic representations too. This boss is "humanity's sloth". This boss is "turning away from truth". and so on. griffin's never been shy about being a fan of the series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

yeah actually they will posted:

i think it's more of a persona final boss concept. in that series they tend towards being wholly thematic representations too. This boss is "humanity's sloth". This boss is "turning away from truth". and so on. griffin's never been shy about being a fan of the series.

That's true, and the shoe fits a bit better

EDIT:

Bip Roberts posted:

First of all it was "mission imp hospital". secondly I really think it was travis trying to punish the listeners by pretending "this what TAZ would be like if we actually played DND" and it was by far the best episodes of graduation.

I actually took it more as Travis looking back on the previous episodes and realizing there hadn't been any combat. Like, he made a comment in the beginning of that little mini-arc saying he wanted to make sure they still knew how to fight. I took him at his word, cause frankly it wouldn't surprise me if that just kinda got away from him.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It felt like a reaction to "the show doesn't have very much actually playing D&D in it" but absolutely not a malicious one, to me. Felt like he was just trying to play a bit of by-the-book D&D 5e to get comfortable with the system. I don't think game mechanics are really his strong suit and the fact that the combats in Graduation are often really simple, and the skill tests are just "occasionally roll to pick a lock", reflects him trying to learn that as much as anything else.

Everyone runs a crummy campaign sometimes, even if they have the capacity to run better ones. It just sucks for Travis that this one is a highly publicised entertainment product rather than like, that time you decided to run Shadowrun but you lost the pace and the group spent twenty sessions in one office building.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mad props to Griffin for winning the terrible joke war at the beginning of this week's episode of TAZ. He out Clint'd Clint, AND Travis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
clinted windows on my tiny town car