Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

StormDrain posted:

Awesome! I'm working on a high end home right now and there's about 6 can lights per bedroom just as general light, plus some that are aimable. My kitchen at home has five and the first time I turned it on after installing them was "Holy poo poo this is bordering on too bright and I love it".

I would like to reinvent the lighting in my bedroom but I already painted it and mounted a chandelier in it, so it'll stay as is.

We were hoping to avoid cutting holes in our ceilings but it seems the Hue version of traditional recessed lights are installed the same way, they're just smarter. I'm not sure why but I thought they were like, stick-ons.

The house we almost bought had a massive ceiling fan in the guest bed, which looked pretty but I find ceiling fans utterly useless and it'd have interfered with the Murphy bed we're going to need in there to save space. We'd have had to pull that out, so either way we were (are) looking at some minor-ish electrical work and light fixtures.

We were thinking two can lights per each of two walls in each bedroom, standard size bedrooms, with bedside lamps as well. I do think 6 is too much (although Hue lights are dimmable). Is four too little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

We were hoping to avoid cutting holes in our ceilings but it seems the Hue version of traditional recessed lights are installed the same way, they're just smarter. I'm not sure why but I thought they were like, stick-ons.

Anything you install of any type is going to require wiring, which in most homes would be expected to be hidden in the ceiling/walls. There is also the concern of switches - I would really not suggest using "smart bulbs" in always-on sockets with no switch. In fact, I wouldn't suggest using smart bulbs at all but rather a smart dimmer.

In any case, the holes made in your ceiling to install lights may not be the end of it depending on where cable needs to be run and what accessibility exists. If this is like, an unfinished attic above you're in pretty good shape. If it's got a finished floor above it you need to get creative with fish tape/fish sticks and really long drill bits. Reno electrical works is pretty crappy. I'm just finishing a project of removing two old school 6" cans and two inadequate pendant lights and replacing them with 10 new LED recessed gimbals in a room that doesn't have access from above so the pain is fresh.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

We were thinking two can lights per each of two walls in each bedroom, standard size bedrooms, with bedside lamps as well. I do think 6 is too much (although Hue lights are dimmable). Is four too little?

4 is a bare minimum number (in my opinion) to cut down on the worst of the shadows. As far as is it enough light you should use a lighting calculator to make sure the output is sufficient. Here's one: https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/lighting

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Dumb question--our new house doesn't have ceiling lights in the bedrooms--which, don't get me started on how stupid that is--and we were planning on installing smart lights from Philips Hue along with Nest thermostats. I assume they have to be wired into the existing wiring system? What kind of holes in the walls are we talking here? Obviously I would hire an electrician to handle it, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience installing smarthome systems? Are they worth it? What do you love/hate about it?

House we're closing on also has no ceiling lights in any of the rooms so we're talking with a contractor to get recessed lighting in most of the rooms and a central light/ceiling fan in the bedrooms just because of the heat; it's going to be very specific to your house and not a perfect match, but for what it's worth they're looking at 10 (ish) holes in the wall, excluding for the actual lights/fans for our place.

Your smart devices just use normal mounts, so your light just go where your normal lightbulbs go. Our "smart" home requirements and recommendations that I have to re-buy now are lights (only for certain rooms), NEST thermostat, NEST hello doorbell, a smart garage door opener, and google home mini's everywhere for control. We use SONOS speakers for music since you can control them with google/alexa and they're always on ready to play. I'd also like a smart deadbolt but I've never found one that's not gigantic or that works flawlessly and I ultimately ended up just putting a keypad lock again. One thing to remember about the hue lights is that they get espensive but you will probably also need the $200 hub plugged into a router unless you're only controlling a couple lights. One thing you could also look at that we're going to try out, is a smart light switch like a lutron casetra for an entire room instead of 4 individual smart bulbs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Anything you install of any type is going to require wiring, which in most homes would be expected to be hidden in the ceiling/walls. There is also the concern of switches - I would really not suggest using "smart bulbs" in always-on sockets with no switch. In fact, I wouldn't suggest using smart bulbs at all but rather a smart dimmer.

In any case, the holes made in your ceiling to install lights may not be the end of it depending on where cable needs to be run and what accessibility exists. If this is like, an unfinished attic above you're in pretty good shape. If it's got a finished floor above it you need to get creative with fish tape/fish sticks and really long drill bits. Reno electrical works is pretty crappy. I'm just finishing a project of removing two old school 6" cans and two inadequate pendant lights and replacing them with 10 new LED recessed gimbals in a room that doesn't have access from above so the pain is fresh.

4 is a bare minimum number (in my opinion) to cut down on the worst of the shadows. As far as is it enough light you should use a lighting calculator to make sure the output is sufficient. Here's one: https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/lighting

Listen to all of this. Good advice.

I feel that pain still in the kitchen cans. That was just furred out for plumbing and it was torture to pull wire. I needed fish sticks but just had a metal tape and I struggled forever getting the wire across the ceiling furring.

There's always a point in the job where I strongly consider removing all of the drywall and inflicting a different kind of pain.

Also I'm really warming up to puck lighting. Just an electrical box, no can housing. I just put one in a hallway that had an ugly fixture and now it's like having no fixture to see but all of the light. Perfect for that space and my taller friends will appreciate it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Also I'm really warming up to puck lighting. Just an electrical box, no can housing. I just put one in a hallway that had an ugly fixture and now it's like having no fixture to see but all of the light. Perfect for that space and my taller friends will appreciate it.

First time with this type for me:

Just a box you wire in that fits through your can/puck opening with a low volt lead. The non-recessed ones are thin enough to bury in 5/8" drywall under a joist. I think they even have ones the will work for 1/2". So far, so good.

I'm big on recessed because I don't like catching the lighting flare caused by a lot of non-recessed can installs and pucks.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Motronic posted:

First time with this type for me:

Just a box you wire in that fits through your can/puck opening with a low volt lead. The non-recessed ones are thin enough to bury in 5/8" drywall under a joist. I think they even have ones the will work for 1/2". So far, so good.

I'm big on recessed because I don't like catching the lighting flare caused by a lot of non-recessed can installs and pucks.

What's the manufacturer on that one? Don't recognize the driver box.

Some of them like the Lithonia WF4/6 have low voltage accessory cables that let you put the driver 20 feet away, which is nice when you're doing lighting under a wrapped beam or something and don't even have the three inches required for the driver (which is already pretty small).

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Thank you all for the info! I have a feeling this is going to be unpleasant. But it needs to be done. After a year of no overhead lighting anywhere but the kitchen, and looking like I'm in witness protection during Zoom calls (even the ring light doesn't help, it just creates more shadows, blinds me, and you can see it reflected in my glasses), relying on floor lamps in the new place is not going to work for us. I'll find a local contractor and see what our options are. I don't mind shelling out the money but I want it done right and I want it to last a long time. We're not DIYing anything in the new place--even if we were to do something as simple as painting, I'd pay to have it done--and since we're buying well below what we can afford, we've got a little extra cash to do the upgrades we want. I'll probably come back here and ask more questions as we go through the process (and there will be a bathroom remodel a few months down the road, too), and I really appreciate all the input!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Off topic, but the fix for the zoom issue is to get 2 lights, and put them about 45 to 60 degrees off to the side of you, not facing directly at you. It'll help with the shadows and the reflection on the glasses.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Off topic, but the fix for the zoom issue is to get 2 lights, and put them about 45 to 60 degrees off to the side of you, not facing directly at you. It'll help with the shadows and the reflection on the glasses.

Thank you!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Full disclosure, I haven't tried this, but the video I saw on TikTok made it look like it worked :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

Some of them like the Lithonia WF4/6 have low voltage accessory cables that let you put the driver 20 feet away, which is nice when you're doing lighting under a wrapped beam or something and don't even have the three inches required for the driver (which is already pretty small).

They're Lotus LRG2's, and they also have the low volt extension cables available.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thank you all for the info! I have a feeling this is going to be unpleasant. But it needs to be done.

You just bought the place. Make it the way you want it and enjoy. It will be worthwhile.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Tezer posted:

It's not a perfect way to judge, but installers will have a 'rating' from the manufacturer - I think it's based on completing training and sales volume, but I'm not 100% sure. Fujitsu i think calls it 'elite' and Mitsubishi calls it 'diamond' I think. So that's a good first pass to find a contractor if you have a particular brand in mind.

The part of the specification that gets glossed over the most often is cold weather performance. If you're just using it for cooling, don't worry about it. But, if you want supplemental winter heat, you'll want to understand how it performs down to whatever temperature you are worried about. I think the major manufacturers all make a cold weather model at this point, for example Mitsubishi calls it Hyper Heat. The efficiency of the unit is a little lower, but it performs better at lower temperatures.

Mistubishi recently signed some sort of deal with the devil (Trane) which seems like it might destroy their existing dealer network and presence in the US.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Diamond contractors in SFBA charge way more, and the contractor I hired to do mine was great even though they weren't a "Diamond Contractor"

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This re-reminded me about the hilarious existence of the "foot candle" unit of measure.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I really would recommend against Hue bulbs at this point as someone who owns like... 15. The direct-attach wifi smart switches are far more cost efficient to scale out and a better product, because they keep the familiar light switch interface for guests. I'm using Decora Smart but Lutron is more common.

I'd also recommend against nest thermostats if you might want a central humidifier. Ecobees are just better in every way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tezer posted:

Word. I put in a ton of WF6s with nice warm color temp for the main area and cooler work lights for my office. Some day I’ll be able to switch without physically changing the box and they’ll be perfect.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

KS posted:

I really would recommend against Hue bulbs at this point as someone who owns like... 15. The direct-attach wifi smart switches are far more cost efficient to scale out and a better product, because they keep the familiar light switch interface for guests. I'm using Decora Smart but Lutron is more common.

I'd also recommend against nest thermostats if you might want a central humidifier. Ecobees are just better in every way.

The whole point of Hue bulbs is color/temperature/dimming control. With a smart switch at best you get dimming.

That said, if you don't care about color/temperature control, then Hue bulbs are a massive waste of money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

The whole point of Hue bulbs is color/temperature/dimming control.

What exactly is the use case for this (other than dimming)? I mean, "I want it because it looks cool" is a fine answer, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything past that. I guess these are the kind of things a renter can use because they don't require anything more than changing a lightbulb, but that's not relevant here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

What exactly is the use case for this (other than dimming)? I mean, "I want it because it looks cool" is a fine answer, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything past that. I guess these are the kind of things a renter can use because they don't require anything more than changing a lightbulb, but that's not relevant here.

I don't have a Hue system, but I do have a color changing LED strip behind my TV, and a color changing/dimming bulb in lamp in my living room (cheap walmart 5 dollar wifi one). I use them late at night when I'm watching TV. I find a soft backlight behind the TV eases eye strain a little, and I just think it looks cool. I've got both set to a turquoise greenish color. The lamp is in a corner behind the couch and just throws off some light so I'm not sitting in total darkness. I've got both setup for an Alexa routine, I just tell her "TV at night" and she turns them on. Those are the only color changing lights in my house.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I don't have a Hue system, but I do have a color changing LED strip behind my TV, and a color changing/dimming bulb in lamp in my living room (cheap walmart 5 dollar wifi one). I use them late at night when I'm watching TV. I find a soft backlight behind the TV eases eye strain a little, and I just think it looks cool. I've got both set to a turquoise greenish color. The lamp is in a corner behind the couch and just throws off some light so I'm not sitting in total darkness. I've got both setup for an Alexa routine, I just tell her "TV at night" and she turns them on. Those are the only color changing lights in my house.

I bought some TP Link ones for my office space, mostly for dimming. I think the color changing ones had more lumens than the non color ones, at least originally? Anyway, I have a third one and that gets the most use because I color change it via google home for my toddler.

He tries asking, but Google hasn't changed the color to elephant yet.

I kind of want to change to Hue to get things off my wifi, but they're definitely more expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, that kind of thing makes sense to me. Not hue bulbs in all the cans in a room.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

The temperature control is actually nice to have. Been experimenting lately with doing that on different non-bedroom lights, but it's great in the bedroom to have the morning fade-to-wake. Also nice to be able to control temperature in the evening... even dim blue light is still blue light. Would love to put these in the bathroom at some point so you can have a dim red light for midnight piss runs, but that's low priority. but with that said, the general "dim reddish/orange nightlight" is a good use for all areas, and got used extra hard with our 2nd kid last year.

Being able to have fine color control is kinda handy, but not as handy as the temperature control. Hue has a cheaper option that does temperature/dimming only.

The other thing is controlling individual bulbs, which you won't get with just a smart switch. In our bonus room, we currently only have a 4-light ceiling fan fixture. It's nice when watching movies to be able to turn the TV-facing bulbs off and then dim the others to almost nothing. So we can have light, but not worry about it interfering with the TV.

The looks cool part is nice as well, but it's widely unused except to entertain small children (also myself).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that kind of thing makes sense to me. Not hue bulbs in all the cans in a room.

I know exactly one person who used the Hue bulbs as general things. He threw tons of (pre-pandemic) parties and would sync the lights to the music.

It was irritating as gently caress and I'm kind of glad the pandemic stopped it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

The temperature control is actually nice to have. Been experimenting lately with doing that on different non-bedroom lights, but it's great in the bedroom to have the morning fade-to-wake. Also nice to be able to control temperature in the evening... even dim blue light is still blue light. Would love to put these in the bathroom at some point so you can have a dim red light for midnight piss runs, but that's low priority. but with that said, the general "dim reddish/orange nightlight" is a good use for all areas, and got used extra hard with our 2nd kid last year.

"This looks cool and my hobby is to play with it". Totally valid, but not something most people are going to care about.

DaveSauce posted:

The other thing is controlling individual bulbs, which you won't get with just a smart switch.

In the olden days we had multiple lighting circuits on their own switches to accomplish this kind of thing. The new homeowner asking is already going to be getting electrical done, so they can zone their lights properly.

Sundae posted:

I know exactly one person who used the Hue bulbs as general things. He threw tons of (pre-pandemic) parties and would sync the lights to the music.

It was irritating as gently caress and I'm kind of glad the pandemic stopped it.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm picturing.

Most people are going to be best served with correctly structurally wired light switches, probably dimming, and appropriate color temperature LEDs for the function of the room. It's all good to go down rabbit holes.....I certainly have with the automation bits......but I don't suggest that as general advice to a new homeowner who probably is saying they want Hue bulbs because that's the only thing they know about that does smart-ish stuff that they want because of the heavy marketing. There are better ways, unless color changing is really important to them on the scale of entire rooms.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you have hue bulbs and it is not setup with a smart speaker to make them pulse red when you say “Red Alert” I don’t know what you are doing.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

hue bulbs are the lava lamps of the 2010s

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks like the market is open for a Smart Lava Lamp.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So many of these lighting uses for Hue bulbs are the same as having floor and table fixtures around your rooms.

The one thing I did like on my old smart switches was the fade on and off. But I knew deep down this wasn't as cool as actual lighting control with multiple zones and scenes from a single switch handled by low volt and relays.

In this house we use switches and a few dimmers and that's it. No occ sensors, no timers, no programming. If you want the lamp on in the corner you GET UP and if you don't like the color temp you go to the store and replace the bulbs.

Related, my neighbor is very fancy on it with auto dimming and temp changes through the day, and also his power bill is about 25% higher on a smaller house. Yes I do feel very justified in my choices and programming of my thermostat.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I wonder how much of the demand for Hue lights is from new owners who are fed up with years of living in apartments that had zero lights of any sort outside of the kitchen and overcompensate. :v: Having actual lights and light switches was one of the most amazing parts of buying a condo to me, TBH. I finally had overhead lighting and was moving up in the world!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I went with hues solely as the most reliable controllable bulbs with Google home. Admittedly that was more than a couple years ago and before the smart switches with the same integration. If I just need to set up a lamp or two, I already have the hub and setup with my home account which is easier than installing the smart switch. If I was starting over today, I could see the smart switch being the better way to go, and i've never used the color changing features.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s been long enough that I’m forced to admit the Great Freeze of Texas turned my yard redo plans from a “nice to have” project to a “get off your lazy rear end and fix the yard, all the good plants are still dead and the weeds have established strongholds in the planting beds” project.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hell yeah get it done. I had 300 feet of French drain installed around half of my house/yard yesterday and I'm so excited for the lawn to be usable year round next year

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I don’t get the appeal of color change smart lighting. A panel of dimmer switches with separate controls over various sets of lights is all I want. If I want zany lighting for a party I’ll just bring in supplemental party lighting, like one of those spinny disco ball projector things that puts cool moving colors on your wall and ceiling. They probably even make music-coordinated smart ones these days. If I can buy one of those things and just plop it on an end table during the party, why would I waste my time with programming a house full of computerized light bulbs that probably moonlight as a bot net and also surveil me?

StormDrain posted:

This is a tangent, and my personal opinion. Center ceiling lights blow. The lighting is unflattering and harsh. The single point of light casts shadows facing away and it's inconvenient for anything where you're facing a wall, like a desk or vanity or closet. Hotels have good lighting to me. Night stand lights, lamps in the corner, desk lamp. If I was paying an electrician for lights I would consider wall sconces for ambiance, multiple can lights for general lighting (less shadow, more even lighting) , and table lamps for task lights.

:same:

I’m also not a fan of center ceiling lights. Right now our house is all center ceiling lights (including both vintage and contemporary boob lights) and it sucks. When we first moved in it was doubly bad because the previous owner had left cold harsh cheapshit LED bulbs in all the fixtures. It created a paradox of making the rooms feel overly bright and poorly lit at the same time. We swapped in warmer temp bulbs and added a ton of lamps so it’s better now. Also installed a dimmer for the dining room. Dining room chandelier isn’t terrible, and we couldn’t do lamps because the sole electrical outlet in the dining room is in a useless place. Ceiling lights generally only get turned on if I’m cleaning or trying to find something.

I must confess that I’m also not really a fan of recessed can lights. There’s nothing wrong with them, personally I’m just sick of them and don’t want any in our house. I don’t think they work as well with higher ceilings (ours is 9’8”) because the light sources get too far away and you start to have similar issues as with the central ceiling light. Also for our very old house they’re hella anachronistic and would look weird/bad (a similar old house we looked at while house hunting had had can lights installed at some point and they looked really bad and out of place). Husband was like, “But how will we light the kitchen??” With antique milk glass pendant lights, of course :getin:

Oh yeah, wall sconces are excellent. I would consider them for our living room and/or dining room to supplement lamps and central chandelier (which will never operate at more than 40% brightness - it’s there to look pretty first and provide a minor contribution to ambient light second).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hell yeah get it done. I had 300 feet of French drain installed around half of my house/yard yesterday and I'm so excited for the lawn to be usable year round next year

It is exciting to rebuild and design what we want. The bummer is our prior owners left a lovely yard that we were entirely happy to maintain while we focused on more pressing areas. Unfortunately all the thoughtful highlight plants were not built for an extended freeze and did not grow back.

I can’t call myself a Dad, homeowner, or grillmaster if ignore ugly plants to flip burgers.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I only mentioned Hue as it was the only smart bulb I knew of at the time (we are only just starting to plan). The color change is not a draw for me and I don't think we'd ever use it. Really I just want to be able to control everything from afar. I want to be able to turn on a light from a different room, or from a different country. Same with Nest--we have cats and we actually (finally!) live in a place where it gets legitimately chilly, and we want to be able to turn on the thermostat when we're traveling without necessarily having to rely on programming it. I'm open to anything, although I did do a compare of Nest versus Ecobees and I think Nest will fit our needs better. I am open to any and all suggestions.

I would be happy with eco-friendly, power-saving bulbs that are controllable by my phone.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

"This looks cool and my hobby is to play with it". Totally valid, but not something most people are going to care about.

IMO being able to change color temperature on the fly, or better yet automatically, is actually pretty valuable. Especially these days where many people spend countless hours staring directly in to bright blue lights.

Was actually handy for my kitchen. I used the hue strip lights for under-cabinet lighting, and I was able to match the temperature to the to the under-microwave light. Would have driven me nuts to have them mismatched.

but the rest is just fun to gently caress around with.

BigPaddy posted:

If you have hue bulbs and it is not setup with a smart speaker to make them pulse red when you say “Red Alert” I don’t know what you are doing.

what kind of nerd poo poo is this

that's literally one of the first things I did when I got Home Assistant, but lost that when my SD card died and I didn't have a backup

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I put Hue bulbs (color temp changing, not full color) in my basement because I wanted a lot more control over lighting to put in a projector, and basically, they are way more awesome than I expected them to be. I got several more for other rooms and use voice controls and routines all the time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Yeah echoing this, the Phillips Hue light strips are $65 now and "install" using a sticky strip. Takes 90 seconds to install. We put one behind all our "long" furniture, the credenza in the dining room, the dresser in the master bedroom, dresser in the nursery, the media console below the tv, behind the desk in the office

Set it to "warm white" and it provides about the equivalent of 2 x 60w light bulbs to the room, but indirectly

And yeah you can set them to teal or hot pink, grt that Miami Vice vibe for Saturday night which is fun but not required

Really good way to add 2 extra bulbs worth of lighting to a room without buying extra lamps or recessed lighting, and indirect lighting is really easy on the eyes

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Bluetooth-Lightstrip-Compatible/dp/B08CKJWSFS/

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 26, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat I didn’t even think about putting light strips on the long furniture for indirect lighting. Good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The light strips are great for bias lighting and I have a few. The gradient light strip and hue sync box is cool, but imo not $500 cool. I also have a Signe shoved in a corner and about a dozen bulbs. The biggest problem I've found with the bulb route is exclusive voice control is really guest unfriendly as they have to learn your room names.

I also have some big rooms that need 5-6 light sources. Smart switches and $25 in LED bulbs is less expensive than 5-6 Hue bulbs, and there are high CRI LEDs out there that are better than anything Hue offers.

If you're starting now and looking at Hue bulbs rather than switches, maybe check out Wiz instead. Same company, same bulb range, 1/4 the price, wifi instead of zigbee so no bridge required.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I would be happy with eco-friendly, power-saving bulbs that are controllable by my phone.

Yeah, smart switches have the same integrations with voice control and ability to use them off-net as Hue does.

I started down the smart switch path due to setting schedules. I've had this timer switch to control outside lights since 2011 and it's been great. I needed a second for the new place and realized the smart switches were cheaper and easier to install in crowded boxes.