Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyowQs8dEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dat Sisko goatee tho

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TIL that for the Voyager Season 3 episode 'Flashback', the show's production team rebuilt the Excelsior bridge set in two weeks when it took the team that worked on ST VI 12 weeks to complete.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

TIL that for the Voyager Season 3 episode 'Flashback', the show's production team rebuilt the Excelsior bridge set in two weeks when it took the team that worked on ST VI 12 weeks to complete.

Say what you will about the writing and directing quality of the show from time to time, but the Voyager production team was incredible at how at how fast they worked from episode to episode and the quality of the material they put out. And they had to constantly build a lot of that poo poo from scratch too.

For comparison, I think the USS Dauntless and the Enterprise-J had roughly the same amount of design turnaround time, and just look at the disparity in quality between the two ships on every level.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Voyager is a bunch of functioning parts that never make a whole.

Also I bet burnout wasn't nearly as bad for production design staff as it was for the writers. The longer they worked at it, the better they got.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I believe Flashback also benefited because, while it was a third-season episode, it was produced during the tail end of the second season, when the production had some extra money to play with, so it wasn't as much of an issue to have the construction crew work late and on weekends to get the Excelsior bridge done on time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

a neat cape posted:

So I just watched The Die is Cast on DS9.

This uh.

This got dark

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves!

this is where ds9 really starts kicking it up a notch

e: explorers also rules

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/hyenasandgin/status/1374834096938098690?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I believe Flashback also benefited because, while it was a third-season episode, it was produced during the tail end of the second season, when the production had some extra money to play with, so it wasn't as much of an issue to have the construction crew work late and on weekends to get the Excelsior bridge done on time.
Yes you're correct, it was one of like 3-4 Season 2 episodes that got bumped to Season 3

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes you're correct, it was one of like 3-4 Season 2 episodes that got bumped to Season 3

Groovy, I thought it was part of that batch. That always struck me as a strange way to do budgeting (as I recall they filmed extra episodes in both seasons 1 and 2 with the plan of airing them as part of the following season; I can't recall if they did that with the 3rd into the 4th but I don't believe so because they went stupidly over-budget on some Season 3 episodes like Future's End and Scorpion), but I mean, hey, if it meant Flashback had some extra cash to use and they wouldn't have had that money if it were part of the season 3 filming schedule, then more power to 'em.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm also wondering if things were helped out by the production of Star Trek:Borg, the FMV game that had you spend a fair chunk of time on a TNG-era Excelsior bridge. Memory Alpha has no details on the production or development of the game, but it was released commercially in early November 1996 to coincide with FC and "Flashback" was being shot in late March of the same year, so the bridge may have been built for one project then modified and used for the other one. If memory serves, the game was mostly reused Voyager sets with the bridge and a larger Jeffries tube set being made specifically for the game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

I'm also wondering if things were helped out by the production of Star Trek:Borg, the FMV game that had you spend a fair chunk of time on a TNG-era Excelsior bridge. Memory Alpha has no details on the production or development of the game, but it was released commercially in early November 1996 to coincide with FC and "Flashback" was being shot in late March of the same year, so the bridge may have been built for one project then modified and used for the other one. If memory serves, the game was mostly reused Voyager sets with the bridge and a larger Jeffries tube set being made specifically for the game.

Borg was filmed while Voyager was on hiatus in 1996, as several of its sets were being used as Enterprise-E interiors (I think it's Borg in which you see just how cramped some of Voyager's sets are, like engineering, sickbay and the transporter bay all blending into one another, there are a couple of shots in which you accidentally see the other areas because they didn't cover it up when blocking the scene). They did get to use the Flashback Excelsior bridge for the game, though, before the set was struck. I imagine if the Excelsior set hadn't been constructed for the episode, they would have just used Voyager's bridge in the game, since the whole production was pretty compressed. (Those Simon & Schuster games were made for almost no budget at all. I think they shot two and a half hours of footage for Borg over the span of something like six days, maybe five.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 25, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Star Trek: Borg kind of smells of "90% of our budget went towards either John DeLancie or Borg effect makeup" and basically nothing else.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

StashAugustine posted:

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves!

this is where ds9 really starts kicking it up a notch

e: explorers also rules

he actually says "dear tain". but tain is basically caesar in those episodes so its a funny quote to drop there which i guess does sell garak not quite getting the point of the play

edit: ive said it a few times but i really like how it comes full circle to the play and how garak is completely eating his words at the end of the episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek: Borg kind of smells of "90% of our budget went towards either John DeLancie or Borg effect makeup" and basically nothing else.

Pretty much. They paid de Lancie his day rate, which chewed up most of their money right then and there, and they had unfettered access to the TNG-era Borg costumes and set dressings because First Contact had the new costumes made and those were being used. The Borg game also re-used the same four or five actors for pretty much every Borg drone, just swapping around the head and arm pieces (there's a reason most of the Borg you see in the game are from a very far distance, as they didn't have the time or money to do hero-level makeup outside of a few exceptions, like the Borg on the bridge at the beginning and the one you wrestle with in the Jefferies tube).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I found it, the ugliest fanart ship

https://www.deviantart.com/lonesome--crow/art/Fire-all-Phasers-270073844

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like USS Ulcer

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Was the Voyager flashback Excelsior the one that had random office chairs as seats?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

And people give STO's designs crap.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

"What we got back didn't live long. Fortunately."

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

USS Deal With It

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The U.S.S. Homer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Was the Voyager flashback Excelsior the one that had random office chairs as seats?

Don’t know if it was in the episode itself, but the stuff for Star Trek: Borg shot on the bridge set had literal Office Depot swivel chairs at each console yes. And the first person POV camera made it all the more obvious because they couldn’t hide it through cinematography and scene blocking like the could in an actual episode.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'd look better with a consistent perspective

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
They also turned the Borg and Klingon FMV games into audio dramas, so they were definitely trying to wring as much blood as they could from those particular stones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wju0bZQDrFk

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Oh hey Sisko is a captain now.

Neat.

I just started season 4

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah I think they finally realized that he was pretty much a captain in all but name, hell he has more responsibilities than Picard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also it was just a bit problematic that the black guy was still a commander after 3 years

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aren’t leaders of space stations usually not captains? I think that’s the case for military ports or shipyards in the US Navy.

Did they only make him a captain when he got the Defiant to command?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aren’t leaders of space stations usually not captains? I think that’s the case for military ports or shipyards in the US Navy.

Did they only make him a captain when he got the Defiant to command?
It's not always consistent. Sometimes the ranking officer in TOS was a Commodore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Riker's still a commander by Nemesis. That's 15 years without a promotion, c'mon Will.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I found it pretty racist that he wasn't made a captain, but really, Sisko is the most effective capitan, and him dressing down picard was one of the key moments of DS9.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Animal-Mother posted:

Riker's still a commander by Nemesis. That's 15 years without a promotion, c'mon Will.

Riker seemingly has little ambition for captaincy. There’s one or two episodes in the show where it comes up that people think he should be moving on but he’s like “nah I’m good”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Riker just wants to bone and play his bone. Can’t fault a man for that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

He's an admiral later on though I think?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So uh. The Visitor.

I'm not crying.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, I found it pretty racist that he wasn't made a captain, but really, Sisko is the most effective capitan, and him dressing down picard was one of the key moments of DS9.

He wasn't in command of a starship, so it seems pretty clear they were trying to draw a distinction in the ranks. There's also the matter of his total command. Sisko only had about 50 people under him, in his direct command. It was a task for a more junior senior officer.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Axe-man posted:

The only thing i want to know from Picard, is if Riker ever got over his thing... with chairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

I know from the "everything great about" video that this is called the Riker manoeuvre.

I was not ready for the reverse Riker manoeuvre.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

a neat cape posted:

So uh. The Visitor.

I'm not crying.

It's ok we're all crying.

e: Andrew Robinson's daughter looks like him around the eyes and it distracts me every time but not enough to stop the tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

That was his own choice

He was offered like 4-5 commands before he finally took the Titan