Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Granma got blew up by the insta pot, coming home on new years eve. You can say there is no reindeer but now they are in pieces and I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021
After scanning this thread for good sources of instant pot recipes, I made a few Amy+Jacky recipes over the past week or so: the salsa chicken, chili, and chili verde. In all three cases I thought the initial serving was great but the leftovers were blander. I sort of expected them to get better with time like pot roast. Is there anything I should try to liven them up during reheating other than adding more salt/cheese/hot sauce?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone else have issues with the Milk Street pressure cooker recipes? They always look reasonable from the numbers and consistency, but any given recipe is a 50/50 for me on triggering burn warnings (sometimes more than once). Which is kinda odd since I'm using an Instant Pot Duo, i.e. the exact appliance they were developed with. There's nothing stuck to the pot before starting the cook cycle, I'm measuring as exactly as possible, and I'm having absolutely no issue with recipes for similar dishes from any other source. Am I missing any other common fixes beyond "blindly add more liquid"?

My boyfriend picked up a Breville Fast Slow Pro at Goodwill (because he correctly believed you can never have too many pressure cookers, especially for $7), and the same recipes work in that and its ceramic pot without the machine complaining. I hate its stupid finicky rotary lid, but it's a good machine otherwise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not "do not brown food" milk street specific but brining to a simmer before clamping the lid helps with my not instant pot electric pressure machine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Quoting myself from the schad thread since a couple of Instant Pot owners there didn't know about being able to hold the lid like so:

Trabant posted:

The Instant Pot does work that way so it's not entirely insane:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Not "do not brown food" milk street specific but brining to a simmer before clamping the lid helps with my not instant pot electric pressure machine.

yeah i occasionally have this issue, where the water inside will be boiling aggressively because the element is still trying to bring it to pressure, but something is hosed up and the valve hasn't actually popped up yet to allow it to get to pressure -- and if you let that go for a few minutes without noticing you'll be in burn territory pretty quickly.

it does seem to roughly correlate with when i start something from room temp, but it doesn't do it often enough for the problem to be that obvious

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I picked up this today does anyone have a good IP recipe? I found a few online but I’m not sure I wanna commit 8 lbs to some unknown recipe.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

So I picked up this today does anyone have a good IP recipe? I found a few online but I’m not sure I wanna commit 8 lbs to some unknown recipe.

I've gotten to the point with that that I wing it, but I started with a basic recipe just for the times to be honest. Always turned out great.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You could always portion it out to 4x2 lbs and make some experiments.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpannerX posted:

I've gotten to the point with that that I wing it, but I started with a basic recipe just for the times to be honest. Always turned out great.

Like a pulled pork one or something different? That’s mainly what comes up.

I was thinking about trying this as a first run

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pulled-pork/

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Youre not going to fit that 8lb in anyway, unless you have a massive pressure cooker

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
kenjis pork chile verde is :discourse:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

MarcusSA posted:

I think this carnitas recipe is pretty good. I personally add lime to the marinade, don't use the cinnamon, and put it in a cast iron pan over high heat before putting it under the broiler so it crisps on both sides. You can do what you like!

4 lbs of meat is about the upper limit for a 6 qt IP though.

barkbell posted:

kenjis pork chile verde is :discourse:

Truth.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I think this carnitas recipe is pretty good. I personally add lime to the marinade, don't use the cinnamon, and put it in a cast iron pan over high heat before putting it under the broiler so it crisps on both sides. You can do what you like!

4 lbs of meat is about the upper limit for a 6 qt IP though.

Truth.

Oh drat this one looks good!

I’ve got the biggest IP but I think I might stick to 4lb chunks anyway

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

MarcusSA posted:

Smoke that butt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rattlehead posted:

Smoke that butt

My dad keeps telling me to get a smoker but drat they are expensive!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Very excited to try that carnitas recipe tonight!

That’s the whole roast in there. So I’m gonna have carnitas for days.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Pressure cooker chicken chile verde for me

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MarcusSA posted:

My dad keeps telling me to get a smoker but drat they are expensive!!

A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker will run you $200-300 brand new. They are simple to operate, just like a normal oven, but produce very good smoked meat.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B07CN38M23?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

30" is the smaller one. If you will feed a bunch of people at once I suggest spending a little more and getting a 40".

Don't go out of your way to get one with a window, you won't be able to see through it after the first smoke.

If you do get one also get yourself an Amaze-N Pellet tube to use instead of the smokers chip tray. Though you can use the chip tray jsut as well the pellet tube gives ALOT more smoke\flavor.

Edit: Head over to the Slow Smoking Meat thread for more info. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trastion posted:

A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker will run you $200-300 brand new. They are simple to operate, just like a normal oven, but produce very good smoked meat.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B07CN38M23?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

30" is the smaller one. If you will feed a bunch of people at once I suggest spending a little more and getting a 40".

Don't go out of your way to get one with a window, you won't be able to see through it after the first smoke.

If you do get one also get yourself an Amaze-N Pellet tube to use instead of the smokers chip tray. Though you can use the chip tray jsut as well the pellet tube gives ALOT more smoke\flavor.

Edit: Head over to the Slow Smoking Meat thread for more info. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

Oh nice tip! I see that there is one in the Amazon warehouse for 149 as well.

How much smoke does the thing actually put out? I live in a townhouse and I don’t actually wanna smoke my neighbors out.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh nice tip! I see that there is one in the Amazon warehouse for 149 as well.

How much smoke does the thing actually put out? I live in a townhouse and I don’t actually wanna smoke my neighbors out.

They put out a fair amount, but mostly only when you open the door. When the door is shut and just the vents are open its not a lot but the smoke smell gets into everything.

I would check into if your townhouse rules even permit a smoker. Though some apartments and such do permit ONLY electrics.

If you have a place away from the building that you can use it I would do that but you would probably have to watch it closer to make sure no one steals your meat or the smoker I guess.

Also neighbors happiness can be bought. Just do a couple big pork butts and then hand out a bunch of packs of pulled pork to them...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's definitely a lot of smoke

on the other hand, it's one of the best ~$225s you can spend, in terms of letting you do something that tastes amazing without a lot of effort that you almost can't do at all otherwise

we only break ours out a few times a year but it's wonderful to do a couple butts or a brisket or both and have tons of meat on special occasions (and smoked butt freezes really nicely)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This came out so good!

I did miss a step and it needs a touch more salt but it’s a legit good recipe.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Grill/toast/fry your tortillas mon frer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

droll posted:

Grill/toast/fry your tortillas mon frer

I heated them up in a pan but I was hungry and didn’t do it right.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I use the microwave method to heat corn tortillas, it works really well: https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/reheating-corn-tortillas/#:~:text=Slide%20the%20package%20into%20a,to%203%20minutes%20before%20serving.

I find it best to very lightly dampen the paper towels then wring them out.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

eke out posted:

yeah it's definitely a lot of smoke

on the other hand, it's one of the best ~$225s you can spend, in terms of letting you do something that tastes amazing without a lot of effort that you almost can't do at all otherwise

we only break ours out a few times a year but it's wonderful to do a couple butts or a brisket or both and have tons of meat on special occasions (and smoked butt freezes really nicely)

I use mine a lot but I would use it more if I could. I just have a full freezer of smoked meat...

Currently have Pulled Pork, 3 different flavors of Pork Belly Burnt Ends, Ribs, Pepper Stout Beef. All in freezer bags portioned out so I can defrost and use to make a meal.

I find that for Pulled Pork its best to just use my rub (my variant of Memphis Dust) and don't sauce it. It heats back up better and you can then add any sauce to it instead of being stuck with whatever you chose when you smoked\pulled it.

Ribs aren't the best to reheat but I usually buy the big 3-packs from Costco when I make them and just smoke them all. A lot of the frozen ribs get reheated and the meat taken off the bone to use in other things.

If you can get a big slab of Pork Belly make burnt ends with it. SOOO GOOD!

Usually I have Brisket in there too but I used the last to make Chili during the winter so I need to make a brisket again soon.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that pork looks good nice job

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yoooooo that carnitas is fuckin amazing the next day!

I put some in an omelet which was on point.

I also made the tacos again (I browned the tortillas correctly this time) and I honestly think it was better today. I let them sit in the marinade over night in the fridge as well which definitely helped.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

I also made the tacos again (I browned the tortillas correctly this time) and I honestly think it was better today. I let them sit in the marinade over night in the fridge as well which definitely helped.

:hai:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My favorite leftover is carnitas fried rice! Works great whether you go with Chinese flavors or Mexican.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Gonna have to make some more soon, I think.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Anyone have a go to site or something for good one pot instant pot recipes? Ideally dump and go

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 28, 2021

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Skyarb posted:

Anyone have a go to site or something for good one pot instant pot recipes? Ideally dump and go

I think these look pretty good: https://www.brit.co/beginner-instant-pot-recipes/

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I use https://www.punchfork.com/recipes/instant-pot a fair amount, the recipes are usually decent but you have to be able to work out which ones are included for the photo rather than the recipe.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I have an idea for Vietnamese carnitas, loosely based on this recipe with maybe some star anise. My question is given the amount of sugar would it be better to put the sauce in the instant pot and cook it, or cook and shred the meat and then cover with the sauce during the crisping phase?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This is the first time in my life I've heard thịt nướng called carnitas. Is there any reason you're wanting to make it in a pressure cooker rather than bake or grill it? Are you wanting shredded texture with that taste? I'd do the former and marinate the meat ahead of time, the thịt nướng marinade doesn't really lend itself to being a sauce imo.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

This is the first time in my life I've heard thịt nướng called carnitas. Is there any reason you're wanting to make it in a pressure cooker rather than bake or grill it?

Because they're making a pulled pork then fried crispy (aka carnitas) variation based loosely on the traditional vietnamese recipe marinade. They didn't write that bun-thit-nuong == carnitas.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I have an idea for Vietnamese carnitas, loosely based on this recipe

It's a great idea and I hope it works out and the results/recipe gets shared back here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh, I read that as taking the linked recipe and making something like carnitas, not making carnitas based on the linked recipe, yummy either way

I might halve the sugar from the recipe actually in that case, and make it the second way you suggested, especially if you'll eat it with nước chấm on top, that'd be plenty sweet

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah the sugar I think is mostly there in order to carmelize to hell and back. I'll experiment with it and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My instant pot has been in the cupboard for a while. I put it straight on to manual the other day to sauté onions as I was prepping the rest of the ingredients to chuck in, and it started the count down before I got the lid on. I dont think I've ever had it do that before?

I've given it all an extra wipe down and wiggled all the valves and buttons. Will see what happens next time.
Its coming up to about 6 years old, though I go through phases of using it lots or not at all.