Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

GTA V style small but super detailed map for a heli sim would be awesome.

Super accurate São Paulo would rule, biggest helicopter fleet in the world and upwards of 700 flights a day there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would love to be able to do helicopter missions while shouting "go home you stupid idiots" at the crowds of people. And then dropping the person I'm supposed to rescue in the ocean.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Re: the Working Title CJ4: should VNAV mode be, uh, doing something provided the departure I enter has no specific restrictions? I've programmed a cruising altitude, but it's just like "no, you'll stay at 5800' and love it! Our next crossing restriction is B13000A12000 three waypoints from now, I don't see any problems here."

I mean, it's no big deal to just climb to cruising altitude without VNAV active, it just seems a bit unintuitive.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Re: the Working Title CJ4: should VNAV mode be, uh, doing something provided the departure I enter has no specific restrictions? I've programmed a cruising altitude, but it's just like "no, you'll stay at 5800' and love it! Our next crossing restriction is B13000A12000 three waypoints from now, I don't see any problems here."

I mean, it's no big deal to just climb to cruising altitude without VNAV active, it just seems a bit unintuitive.

VNAV is a constant struggle as there are so many facets to it and it's not nearly as good with climbs as it is with descents. They should be doing a bit of an overhaul on it this week or next but it probably won't hit the public until next month though. That said, VNAV on the CJ4 isn't really used for climbs anyway unless you need to obey several restrictions. You can also VS or FLC and then use the altitude range "banana" to make sure it complies.

We have a discord https://discord.gg/cmxCRJX8jG and a guide that are also helpful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzxPMTSQRkvau8QOi7xUqNvjx9rbww_qHlso5AT5OnI/edit

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Akion posted:

I would pay a lot of dollars for a remake of Sim Copter on MSFS, especially if it reworked a few cities to super-high fidelity for proper missions and stuff.

Oh God yes. I still don't know why it isn't a thing yet, everyone and their momma makes open world games.

Cojawfee posted:

I would love to be able to do helicopter missions while shouting "go home you stupid idiots" at the crowds of people. And then dropping the person I'm supposed to rescue in the ocean.

SIMCOPTER ONE REPORTING HEAVY TRAFFIC

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

i am kiss u now posted:

VNAV is a constant struggle as there are so many facets to it and it's not nearly as good with climbs as it is with descents. They should be doing a bit of an overhaul on it this week or next but it probably won't hit the public until next month though. That said, VNAV on the CJ4 isn't really used for climbs anyway unless you need to obey several restrictions. You can also VS or FLC and then use the altitude range "banana" to make sure it complies.

We have a discord https://discord.gg/cmxCRJX8jG and a guide that are also helpful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzxPMTSQRkvau8QOi7xUqNvjx9rbww_qHlso5AT5OnI/edit

Cool, I took a look at the docs but it didn't seem to address it directly in terms of "what is normally done" vs. "what is possible." It makes sense to just go without VNAV for the climb in the absence of any restrictions (and it works a treat in the descent, no question), I was mainly curious whether I was misunderstanding how it should work and/or how it should be used. And it seems, maybe, it's a bit of both. Either way, what a great mod overall. My only mistake was not trusting the VNAV in the descent the first time, due to the uncertainties I had during the climb. Once I tried just the descent using VNAV... perfection. And LPV sensitivity on the approach... you love to see it! Does the G1000 mod have that as well?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

Edit: The top review on Steam for Stormworks is negative with 2,300 hours played. lmao never change steam reviewers.

In fairness, his complaint is with the development team and the direction they've taken. The reviewer sounds like he's fully invested (or was), so to me there's two possibilities. One, he's bonkers and shouldn't be listened to; or two, the developers are incompetent crazy people who won't listen to anyone. Truth probably in the middle somewhere (I'd lean towards the developers).

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Cool, I took a look at the docs but it didn't seem to address it directly in terms of "what is normally done" vs. "what is possible." It makes sense to just go without VNAV for the climb in the absence of any restrictions (and it works a treat in the descent, no question), I was mainly curious whether I was misunderstanding how it should work and/or how it should be used. And it seems, maybe, it's a bit of both. Either way, what a great mod overall. My only mistake was not trusting the VNAV in the descent the first time, due to the uncertainties I had during the climb. Once I tried just the descent using VNAV... perfection. And LPV sensitivity on the approach... you love to see it! Does the G1000 mod have that as well?

Not yet. The G1000 and G3000 have pretty much been separate development teams but now with the partnership, I would expect more more collaboration as core features are ironed out and ported from one avionics system to another. The Working Title G1000 and G3000 are still very much must-haves though as they're light-years ahead of the stock equipment.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

In fairness, his complaint is with the development team and the direction they've taken. The reviewer sounds like he's fully invested (or was), so to me there's two possibilities. One, he's bonkers and shouldn't be listened to; or two, the developers are incompetent crazy people who won't listen to anyone. Truth probably in the middle somewhere (I'd lean towards the developers).

They recently released an update that lets you build engines from modular parts instead of just dropping an existing premade engine in, and as a side effect engine cooling became less effective, but they're working on fixing it.

People lost their goddamn minds over it because the new modular engines don't cater exactly to what they wanted, and the cooling issue has permanently ruined the game :jerkbag:

Oh, and that the experimental build branch is buggy :nallears:

edit: and that the devs put out a public poll of what features to include in the future, and then had the gall to release a roadmap that included the features that won the poll.

I mean one of those winners was 'weapons' which I agree is out of place for a Search and Rescue game, but it was a popular choice and is being made as a paid DLC because it's such a major change of tone

Icedude fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 24, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I busted a$# to even get the devs to take a look at a few samples to prove some very obvious game breaking bugs that were about to be released to stable… Those ended up getting fixed… but the next week when I went to provide more feedback I was muted on the official discord… and then banned after being unmuted for saying that I got muted for feedback…

I'm leaning more towards the bonkers side

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

JayKay posted:

I busted a$# to even get the devs to take a look at a few samples to prove some very obvious game breaking bugs that were about to be released to stable… Those ended up getting fixed… but the next week when I went to provide more feedback I was muted on the official discord… and then banned after being unmuted for saying that I got muted for feedback…

I'm leaning more towards the bonkers side

Oh their discord mods are 'community volunteers' and as such egotistical shitheads, yeah. They even got banned from the official reddit for being that bad about it.

It doesn't help that there have been others complaining about being banned for "feedback" when their feedback was spamming memes about the devs sucking, so you could have gotten caught in that

In short; game good, toxic player base bad.

RedChesterfield
Nov 18, 2010

"You know you've done enough shit to go to hell."
Landing challenges are getting creative.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I noticed a lot more visual bugs in that challenge than ever before. My control surfaces weren’t moving and the propellor was stuck mid animation, but the plane flew normally

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone else getting two second pauses in the game every 2-4 minutes? If so, do you own a (Steam-)VR headset, too, which is attached? Some people seem to have found out that it's somehow related.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

RedChesterfield posted:

This is the hottest challenge on tiktok.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone else getting two second pauses in the game every 2-4 minutes? If so, do you own a (Steam-)VR headset, too, which is attached? Some people seem to have found out that it's somehow related.

I had this issue with a Vive that was resolved by unplugging the headset, but I’m pretty sure I left the USB base hub plugged in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

InevitableCheese posted:

I had this issue with a Vive that was resolved by unplugging the headset, but I’m pretty sure I left the USB base hub plugged in.
Yeah, the other guy did it by yanking the USB connector of his Index to remove power. I guess I'm going to attempt it, too. I gave MSFS a quick spin today, but it naturally barely manifested this time around.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

RedChesterfield posted:

These landing challenges really expect you to hit the ground running.

(This one is a recent bug from War Thunder)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Teeter posted:

These landing challenges really expect you to hit the ground running.

(This one is a recent bug from War Thunder)

*Flintstones noises, cymbal crash, slide whistle*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And the air force STILL won't buy you new boots.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, I gather some of you have probably run into the same problem I'm having: what is a good chair to get without wheels so that, when you press rudder pedals, you don't simply gently caress off backward across the room? I'm using a dining chair at the moment, but I don't love it compared to my office chair, which would be fantastic but for the wheels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PT6A posted:

So, I gather some of you have probably run into the same problem I'm having: what is a good chair to get without wheels so that, when you press rudder pedals, you don't simply gently caress off backward across the room? I'm using a dining chair at the moment, but I don't love it compared to my office chair, which would be fantastic but for the wheels.

The wheels probably come off of your office chair. You can get “bell glides” for it that pop in where the wheels do, and the chair will stay put. Used to use them for sim-racing before I built a rig for that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GutBomb posted:

The wheels probably come off of your office chair. You can get “bell glides” for it that pop in where the wheels do, and the chair will stay put. Used to use them for sim-racing before I built a rig for that.

Cool, I will take a look at that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Icedude posted:

Oh their discord mods are 'community volunteers' and as such egotistical shitheads, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

PT6A posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X8X58S

These have the added benefit of not having to take off your wheels, but the small downside of 30 seconds of extra setup. I use them for racing. You won't go anywhere pressing rudder pedals.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I know it's not what you asked for but take a look at the VKB rudder pedals before you get a new chair. They press downwards so there's no pushback.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

PT6A posted:

I just started using these to keep my chair in place. Just one of them placed in the front works great.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
If you're not using chocks stolen from the local airfield how are you even getting full immersion?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just get this: https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/11892

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

PT6A posted:

I bought some rollerblade-style wheels for my office chair that have lock brakes on two of them, I clamp them down before I play anything. They work well! Just make sure the stem size matches your chair.

EDIT: oh drat it, saw they're out of stock though.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 25, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Any word from Microsoft and Asobo when they'll add vulgar 'own the libs' chatter?

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/pilot-hot-mic-bay-area-airport-16049942.php

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Live Weather has frequent disagreements with both reality and its own ATIS.

I was doing a flight into Springbank, which was reporting overcast at 1000 feet in real life. The ATIS in the sim claimed few at 1000 feet, few at 4600 feet. Had to go missed at ILS minimums, which are 250' AGL because I couldn't see a goddamn thing.

I don't mind the disagreement between Live Weather and reality, to an extent, but I mean the least the ATIS could do is report what the sim thinks should actually be happening because there's no other way to get information about what Flight Simulator thinks the weather conditions are.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
In my little experience using live weather it frequently seems very buggy/finicky or whatever you want to call it. Very very hit or miss.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

soggybagel posted:

In my little experience using live weather it frequently seems very buggy/finicky or whatever you want to call it. Very very hit or miss.

Honestly, what would be cooler than live weather or the presets is random weather.

Flying the approach not knowing if I'd have to go missed was pretty fun, and something I've never been able to do in a sim other than when I had someone else controlling the weather. I'd like to do that regularly, where I don't know 100% what I'm flying into.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I wish you could dial in historic weather also, or spectacular storms

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
DCS Mi-24 is up for pre-order. (Don't pre-order).

Release video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXzFYgl4x4

In addition, volumetric clouds to be released April 7th.

quote:

26 March 2021

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

We are delighted to announce that arguably the most iconic helicopter gunship in the world is now available for pre-order with a 30% discount. DCS: Mi-24 Hind takes helicopter gameplay to a new level and sets a new standard for DCS in cockpit look and feel. We hope you will enjoy it. Check out our Hind pre-order video here.

Derived from the Mi-8, the Hind airframe is fitted with a streamlined retractable undercarriage and stub-wings that provide lift at high speeds as well as a structure for attaching guided and unguided munitions. This massive machine combines firepower and troop-carrying capabilities, making it a force to be reckoned with.

Our new Volumetric Cloud System requires a significant rewrite of our radar, sensor and weapon system code. To integrate the clouds smoothly, the process will be split into stages. The Clouds will initially be released as a purely visual feature, with the possibility to select a wide variety of weather presets from the Mission Editor. After the initial release, we will finalise the work on radar and weapon systems as well as how AI behaves in the new weather conditions. This is particularly relevant for close air combat line-of-sight behaviour.

Please note, DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and DCS: The Channel will be released within a short time frame of Open Beta 2.7.0. which we have pushed out to the 7th of April 2021 due to the heavy testing and 3rd party integration requirements.

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely,

Eagle Dynamics Team

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Died at the Sawano reveal

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I really hope the Hind lives up to the hype. From the list on the shop, it looks like its early-releasing in a much more complete state compared to other recent DCS offerings.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
They're also plotting the release of Kiowa and Apache this year, so tbh it does worry me that they're stacking a a lot of helicopter modules up. I hope they've got Hind systems functional, at least to beta state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Honestly, what would be cooler than live weather or the presets is random weather.

Flying the approach not knowing if I'd have to go missed was pretty fun, and something I've never been able to do in a sim other than when I had someone else controlling the weather. I'd like to do that regularly, where I don't know 100% what I'm flying into.

I've heard good things about REXForce.