Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

Hell, a 3rd party company made a program so that you could use this thing on your desktop to make designs and send the cuts to the cutter (they are still around but surprise Cricut sued them so that software doesn't work as it did with the new machines).

I keep a Windows XP VM around just to run an old version of this software for my wife's Cricut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My email doesn't work, it's urgent!

Idk maybe if you live on email, don't chain 50GB of PSTs on shared drive to Outlook and expect everything to run smooth and fast over a VPN?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate when housekeeping or who knows who lets random people into the IT office and they come ask us stuff in person, instead of putting in a ticket or calling the help desk

This should be a secure area they shouldn’t be in here anyway. I mean the server room has another set of doors but still.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My Exchange connection has been flipping on and off all day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maigius posted:

My Exchange connection has been flipping on and off all day.

Did you patch it? I would check for some webshells lmao.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Sorry, have to get this out.

Job -1, that I YOTJ'ed out of 8 years ago. It sucked. It was tier 3 tech support for a company that was actively outsourcing and considered its US employees as expensive luxuries. Since they were paying us so much they expected twice the work. It sucked. Some of us, like me, signed up to do tech support, but other folks, like one of my coworkers, was put into tech support after they moved the lab he supported overseas. I can't really say he was a friend or that I knew him really well, but I sat across the aisle from him, and like all crappy jobs, sometimes you just had to stand up and see who else needed a break, and then you would go out in the aisle and talk. You would learn about the other person, their hopes and dreams.

Eric was not happy with being moved to tech support, partially because he was lab support, and partially because he was done with IT. What he really wanted to do was be a cop. He had a strong faith and thought he could make the world a better place. He had been trying for a year to take the CO POST training that would make him hire-able, but our management kept messing with his schedule, and our director had told him that they could not guarantee that he would not have to work evenings, so night classes were off the table.

With a wife and 6 kids he quit with nothing certain, and through a wing and a prayer, he completed his training and was hired by the Boulder CO police department. I left the company a bit after that and lost contact with folks that knew him more.

Eric died Monday, as the first responding officer at the Boulder supermarket shooting. 7 kids. gently caress. On one hand he left his family and friends but on the other he died doing what he loved and by all accounts made a difference. I am saddened by the loss and feel small stressing about my caseload, which seems meaningless by comparison.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am sorry to hear about your old coworker, Eric. Please take care of yourself.

[edit: I had an old coworker pass away a while back. It hosed me up a little more than I thought it would. Appreciate the people around you for sure, even the ones who just make your day suck a little less.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress you, VP of engineering lady!

We had an all-hands yesterday, and the last slide said, “It’s crunch time!” All of us started groaning, and she said “hang on” and moved to the actual end slide, which said, “Just kidding, we know you’ve been working hard, so we hired four more contractors to help finish the job.”

She got us good. :argh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

gently caress you, VP of engineering lady!

We had an all-hands yesterday, and the last slide said, “It’s crunch time!” All of us started groaning, and she said “hang on” and moved to the actual end slide, which said, “Just kidding, we know you’ve been working hard, so we hired four more contractors to help finish the job.”

She got us good. :argh:

gently caress this. anyone who does this should be booed out of the room

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Weedle posted:

gently caress this. anyone who does this should be booed out of the room

You had to be there. It was a huge relief, and we had been asking for more contractors for a few weeks to help finish the job. Rest assured, we are all delighted. I am angrier that I was had!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Sickening posted:

Did you patch it? I would check for some webshells lmao.

I have no idea. I think we're hosted on Office 365, so I think we're good...? I don't work with Exchange, but it seems to be fixed now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo pissing me off: our recently graduated automatician's apprentice wasn't offered a job because "he applied too late"...

He's a decent guy who does OK work for his experience, and we need him, but some C-level at the main office didn't see it that way...

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
So what was the real reason

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not sure, it smells to high heaven, though.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

I am sorry buddy, Eric is a hero, i hope everyone remembers him as one.

Check into your grievance policy at your job, maybe you can get a day or two off and just process this.

poo poo that is pissing me off: INSIGHT is slow as balls. using citrix with 300ms+ ping sucks I need my new laptop!

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 28, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You had to be there. It was a huge relief, and we had been asking for more contractors for a few weeks to help finish the job. Rest assured, we are all delighted. I am angrier that I was had!

We had a big get-together a couple of years ago, all of IT from all of the company's locations.

There was a bit of the usual "the year in review" type stuff, and then one of the managers put up this insane slide deck full of dry-rear end statistics and "page 1 of 85" and everything. There was this collective feeling of "oh goddammit" and then this guy walked in from stage left, went up to him and shot him point blank.

Everyone was like WTF, then the manager who was shot got up and told us that we would be getting stunt and acting classes from professional stunt people for the rest of the day, as part team building, part hanging out and having fun with colleagues we rarely meet in person.

Ironically the guy who was "shot" was probably the only manager I liked there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

KozmoNaut posted:

We had a big get-together a couple of years ago, all of IT from all of the company's locations.

There was a bit of the usual "the year in review" type stuff, and then one of the managers put up this insane slide deck full of dry-rear end statistics and "page 1 of 85" and everything. There was this collective feeling of "oh goddammit" and then this guy walked in from stage left, went up to him and shot him point blank.

Everyone was like WTF, then the manager who was shot got up and told us that we would be getting stunt and acting classes from professional stunt people for the rest of the day, as part team building, part hanging out and having fun with colleagues we rarely meet in person.

Ironically the guy who was "shot" was probably the only manager I liked there.

I mean a day of stunt classes sounds awesome but introducing it by making everyone think an armed assailant is in your conference and just murdered a coworker is questionable at best.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fil5000 posted:

I mean a day of stunt classes sounds awesome but introducing it by making everyone think an armed assailant is in your conference and just murdered a coworker is questionable at best.
While I'm pretty sure KozmoNaut is from somewhere in Northern Europe, beyond the obvious "hey let's start a day of fun with some trauma!!!" I was just thinking about how badly something like that could go down in some parts of America.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This dude missed 14(!) software installations yesterday because he slept through the window while we had the systems down for some separate OS upgrades, and now apparently I am roped into solving this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

wolrah posted:

While I'm pretty sure KozmoNaut is from somewhere in Northern Europe, beyond the obvious "hey let's start a day of fun with some trauma!!!" I was just thinking about how badly something like that could go down in some parts of America.

In some parts of America, the fake shooter would be shot 5 times by three different people before the joke was revealed! :haw:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Hello all, just had a miserable experience with a prebuilt. I needed a new computer fast (old one having hard drive issues) and my jet setting no free time lifestyle meant I was comfortable asking some computer savvy goons to recommend a prebuilt that matched my needs. Two days of pain and two replacement towers later, I found out the entire model line (MSI codex R) has a rep for nonsensical crashes and BSODs that are apparently tied to some sort of hosed upness with the ssd. The below thread mimics my experience across two days of registry checks, driver reinstalls, Cable checking, BIOS fiddling and interrupted updates and scans.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-codex-r-codex-r-10sc-004ca-bsod-problems.356024/

Two full days of time I really couldn’t afford to spend, lost to a lemon. And I still need a new computer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Hello all, just had a miserable experience with a prebuilt. I needed a new computer fast (old one having hard drive issues) and my jet setting no free time lifestyle meant I was comfortable asking some computer savvy goons to recommend a prebuilt that matched my needs. Two days of pain and two replacement towers later, I found out the entire model line (MSI codex R) has a rep for nonsensical crashes and BSODs that are apparently tied to some sort of hosed upness with the ssd. The below thread mimics my experience across two days of registry checks, driver reinstalls, Cable checking, BIOS fiddling and interrupted updates and scans.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-codex-r-codex-r-10sc-004ca-bsod-problems.356024/

Two full days of time I really couldn’t afford to spend, lost to a lemon. And I still need a new computer.

Sorry to hear about your woes. If you really need a new computer immediately, nothing beats a brick and mortar store. I would suggest going that route. And if you really cannot afford downtime, I would suggest having more than one computer. Get yourself either a laptop or a desktop now, then get the other on your own time. Redundancy is good if uptime is what you seek.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's what buying MSI gets you :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry to hear about your woes. If you really need a new computer immediately, nothing beats a brick and mortar store. I would suggest going that route. And if you really cannot afford downtime, I would suggest having more than one computer. Get yourself either a laptop or a desktop now, then get the other on your own time. Redundancy is good if uptime is what you seek.

Oh, I went brick and mortar; this was a microcenter purchase. I'll have a brief word with their manager tomorrow evening about the risks of carrying this specific model. In the meantime, my files are all backed up, so back to the old (suspiciously chuggy, screen-artifacty, "why is it using 100% of disk") computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Monday....aka 'I thought I had 3 more days to reset my password' day.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, I went brick and mortar; this was a microcenter purchase. I'll have a brief word with their manager tomorrow evening about the risks of carrying this specific model. In the meantime, my files are all backed up, so back to the old (suspiciously chuggy, screen-artifacty, "why is it using 100% of disk") computer.

If you have the money to burn, take a look at Falcon NW?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you file a tier 1 support ticket and you don't reply to the follow up emails or want to get on a call, is it really a tier 1 issue?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KillHour posted:

If you file a tier 1 support ticket and you don't reply to the follow up emails or want to get on a call, is it really a tier 1 issue?

Don't close it, this is affecting patient care!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Sorry, have to get this out.

Job -1, that I YOTJ'ed out of 8 years ago. It sucked. It was tier 3 tech support for a company that was actively outsourcing and considered its US employees as expensive luxuries. Since they were paying us so much they expected twice the work. It sucked. Some of us, like me, signed up to do tech support, but other folks, like one of my coworkers, was put into tech support after they moved the lab he supported overseas. I can't really say he was a friend or that I knew him really well, but I sat across the aisle from him, and like all crappy jobs, sometimes you just had to stand up and see who else needed a break, and then you would go out in the aisle and talk. You would learn about the other person, their hopes and dreams.

Eric was not happy with being moved to tech support, partially because he was lab support, and partially because he was done with IT. What he really wanted to do was be a cop. He had a strong faith and thought he could make the world a better place. He had been trying for a year to take the CO POST training that would make him hire-able, but our management kept messing with his schedule, and our director had told him that they could not guarantee that he would not have to work evenings, so night classes were off the table.

With a wife and 6 kids he quit with nothing certain, and through a wing and a prayer, he completed his training and was hired by the Boulder CO police department. I left the company a bit after that and lost contact with folks that knew him more.

Eric died Monday, as the first responding officer at the Boulder supermarket shooting. 7 kids. gently caress. On one hand he left his family and friends but on the other he died doing what he loved and by all accounts made a difference. I am saddened by the loss and feel small stressing about my caseload, which seems meaningless by comparison.
gently caress. That's tragic. Real stories, real lives behind the names in the headlines. How awful.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

Monday....aka 'I thought I had 3 more days to reset my password' day.

Sup password buddy.

My first notification that my password was expiring was “your password has expired. Please create a new one now.” breaking all of my exiting application connections.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Pissing me off today: SharePoint Online managed to black hole a ton of docs during a PowerShell move operation. Files aren't in the recycling bin, and they're not in any of the existing libraries. Nothing in the audit log around the files moving either. Just gone.

Trying to see if Microsoft can do a restore on them without reverting the whole site back to last week.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

The Dreamer posted:

Pissing me off today: SharePoint Online managed to black hole a ton of docs during a PowerShell move operation. Files aren't in the recycling bin, and they're not in any of the existing libraries. Nothing in the audit log around the files moving either. Just gone.

Trying to see if Microsoft can do a restore on them without reverting the whole site back to last week.

Look in your heart. You know the answer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Sup password buddy.

My first notification that my password was expiring was “your password has expired. Please create a new one now.” breaking all of my exiting application connections.

Oh no I meant every user who’s been getting a password expiration notice for the last 14 days but nobody changes them until they of course get locked out

On day 7 it should just force you to ducking change it

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I spent the entire day going through and changing emails for services, certificates, domain purchases, alert emails, and administration accounts to point to a shared account. Previously half of these things were going to the old admin's mailbox, and the """solution""" was for us to log into it.

I finally had an hour and a half to go through and log in to things and change it. It feels nice. Proper. Right.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Antioch posted:

I spent the entire day going through and changing emails for services, certificates, domain purchases, alert emails, and administration accounts to point to a shared account. Previously half of these things were going to the old admin's mailbox, and the """solution""" was for us to log into it.

I finally had an hour and a half to go through and log in to things and change it. It feels nice. Proper. Right.

We had that mess and it took forever to fix it. Our former VP created so many logins with his company email address. It took days to track down all of the places where he used his email for setting up services and we still can't get rid of it so it's now aliased to a generic service email for my team.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

ptier posted:

Look in your heart. You know the answer.

Yeah. Currently contemplating trying to recover them out of the Preservation Hold Library while waiting for an answer from Microsoft. Sounds like a nightmare, but might be doable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

deedee megadoodoo posted:

We had that mess and it took forever to fix it. Our former VP created so many logins with his company email address. It took days to track down all of the places where he used his email for setting up services and we still can't get rid of it so it's now aliased to a generic service email for my team.

This is my pet peeve. I feel like every place I've walked into had everyone creating logins for services using their own email address. The guy who had been there for 20 years, or the 3 different people over 5 years, I'm not sure which is worse, but it loving sucks. IT people can be so dumb sometimes.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Another day in the mines as a :airquote: devops engineer. On my to do list for today is creating a GPO to push out anti-virus (because asking users didn't work) and issuing a handful of certs for on-prem apps that have been HTTP since forever.

Counting down the days before I quit.

Edit: if I feel like working extra hard, I might join our 15 or so undersized, out of warranty ESX hosts to the domain instead of authenticating with local users.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 30, 2021

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Why can your users install software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Everyone has local admin on their workstations.

Before I got here, all non-workstations were logged in using (local admin) shared credentials that were stored in plain text in a wiki.

As the person who stopped that practice, it's now my responsibility to print a pdf of any credentials I find in a wiki and store it on a file share accessible to everyone as a backup before redacting that one wiki page that I have found. Then, when anyone needs a password I have redacted, I get to go to the plain text pdf and look up the password they need.

You see, this makes sense because

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 30, 2021