Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Despera posted:

Hardins such a poo poo lawyer and its not hard to figure out who the accusers are when they loving set an appointment and billing at a specific date/time.

Wait - just to clarify - you want the defense to guess who the accusers are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait - just to clarify - you want the defense to guess who the accusers are?

I know nothing about civil law, are the plaintiffs obligated to share anything at all before showing up in court?

Or rather is it common practice to do so before you're forced to? It'll all come out eventually, I just don't know if they usually share at least some things early to speed the process along.

Anyway Magary wrote a thing if anyone's interested.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I know nothing about civil law, are the plaintiffs obligated to share anything at all before showing up in court?

Or rather is it common practice to do so before you're forced to? It'll all come out eventually, I just don't know if they usually share at least some things early to speed the process along.

Anyway Magary wrote a thing if anyone's interested.

Yes, you absolutely are. Think about it - what are some of your basic rights? You get to face your accuser. Presumption of innocence.

The process is known as discovery. It’s a media/Hollywood myth that there are smoking guns in court. You can’t introduce new evidence without opposing counsel having an opportunity to process and review.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I knew about discovery, I just didn't know if that happened immediately or if it was common to wait for a judge to tell you to do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I knew about discovery, I just didn't know if that happened immediately or if it was common to wait for a judge to tell you to do it.

There's a schedule that they'll have to follow. Right now Watson has to answer the complaint first.

It is also rare for cases to be filed in pseudonymous fashion. Typically it's only when minors are involved. When I asked some TX lawyers, they said that it isn't prohibited but is not favored by the texas rules of procedure.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I imagine Texas has a pretty similar schedule to Florida, right?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a schedule that they'll have to follow. Right now Watson has to answer the complaint first.

It is also rare for cases to be filed in pseudonymous fashion. Typically it's only when minors are involved. When I asked some TX lawyers, they said that it isn't prohibited but is not favored by the texas rules of procedure.

My assumption is the pseudoanonymous filings are to protect the victims until the narrative can be turned against watson. If the victims names had been attached to each of these complaints before the news of what watson did and how many women there were - the news would be litigating the victims lives rather than whether watson did it. I think SKULL.GIF is right, buzzbees handled this pretty perfectly so far.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Despera posted:

Hardins such a poo poo lawyer and its not hard to figure out who the accusers are when they loving set an appointment and billing at a specific date/time.

It's still a dumb thing for him to say he can't know who the accusers are until they're then say he can prove it is false. Complete contradiction doesn't exactly speak well. Yeah they're giving dates so obviously Watson can pretty quickly go through his Instagram.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Jack's trying to imply the team president that just quit knew about Watson's being a predator -

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1374737394319101959

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1374512396430049288

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 24, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The media agenda against the Texans lol

As if any sports media gives enough of a poo poo about the Texans to have an agenda of any sort

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Is this the first time the burner has weighed in on the situation?

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014
Media agenda against the Texans lol, buddy they seem to have an agenda against themselves

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
At this point it seems reasonable to assume that God himself has an agenda against the Texans

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The Enemies of Rutgers Athletics have formed a splinter group.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does the US do publication bans? Defense lawyers can ask for victims names to be barred from being reported on here to protect the identities of everyone involved.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Is this the first time the burner has weighed in on the situation?

Just this from last week, which is more "the media vs us" crap that came after everyone had figured out the Texans couldn't have been in on it -

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1372365037403267074

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I feel kinda guilty for being skeptical of this when it was just the one girl on day 1. Buzbee is a world-class rear end in a top hat but he's not going to put 16 accusers out there based on pure hearsay because McNair is his golfing buddy. They probably at least have DM logs setting up the encounter, and from there it's pretty easy to believe that many people telling a consistent story.

This city is gonna be paying off karmic debt for that Astros title for decades

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

I feel kinda guilty for being skeptical of this when it was just the one girl on day 1. Buzbee is a world-class rear end in a top hat but he's not going to put 16 accusers out there based on pure hearsay because McNair is his golfing buddy. They probably at least have DM logs setting up the encounter, and from there it's pretty easy to believe that many people telling a consistent story.

Yeah, the courts have been a clown show for months, but it's pretty clear it was a mistake to fixate on him rather than the accusation.

I hate that Watson has opened himself up to this poo poo. This is going to be used as reinforcement for biggoted opinions and that sucks. It's good that it came out, no matter how the rest of this goes I imagine it's going to be much harder for Watson to be predatory now that this stuff is known. It's just so depressing when people who champion good causes end up being lovely people.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elotana posted:

yeah and it rules

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Eifert Posting posted:

I hate that Watson has opened himself up to this poo poo. This is going to be used as reinforcement for biggoted opinions and that sucks.

Look man. I have no idea what you're saying here. I assume it's not actually bigoted or anything because you seem like a decent dude. But this is a thread about a guy doing tens of sexual assaults in 2021. You can't be just postin here. You can't just toss off poo poo without reading it through unless it's a joke like marsh or whatever. You can't just get real in your feelings and toss off stuff that seems deep in the moment because it will just look banal or dumb in the cold light of day. Just read your posts through before posting them and consider if it actually adds anything, if any insights are actually real or not, if there's an actual question that has a possibility to be answered, just anything other than another weird sophist deconstruction of ways it makes you feel bad where you accidentally imply like watson is the real victim or whatever. Please

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Phobeste posted:

Look man. I have no idea what you're saying here. I assume it's not actually bigoted or anything because you seem like a decent dude. But this is a thread about a guy doing tens of sexual assaults in 2021. You can't be just postin here. You can't just toss off poo poo without reading it through unless it's a joke like marsh or whatever. You can't just get real in your feelings and toss off stuff that seems deep in the moment because it will just look banal or dumb in the cold light of day. Just read your posts through before posting them and consider if it actually adds anything, if any insights are actually real or not, if there's an actual question that has a possibility to be answered, just anything other than another weird sophist deconstruction of ways it makes you feel bad where you accidentally imply like watson is the real victim or whatever. Please

All he said was it sucks that a high profile player who is very vocal about civil issues that matter turned out to be a monster because it only gives bigots ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. He isn't wrong.

Watson's actions don't just have an impact on his own reputation. It has an impact on any cause he's ever supported. That is part of why this feels so much worse than when other allegations have come out. Because Watson had a reputation of being a really good dude. He had a lot farther to fall.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact thread to discuss all the long term ramifications of Watson's actions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Watson supported BLM so of course you'll have people smugly declaring Masseuse Lives Matter! whenever they get a chance

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sataere posted:

All he said was it sucks that a high profile player who is very vocal about civil issues that matter turned out to be a monster because it only gives bigots ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. He isn't wrong.

he’s wrong to worry about it because it turns out bigots don’t need ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. nobody on either side will have their mind changed about BLM or homeless outreach or etc. by this

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

he’s wrong to worry about it because it turns out bigots don’t need ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. nobody on either side will have their mind changed about BLM or homeless outreach or etc. by this

This is absolutely true but it's easy to forget.

This is the last thing I'll say about the whole thing. It loving sucks that Watson's a sexual predator. I feel bad about being skeptical at the very beginning. I got tribalist because the attorney appeared to be a scumbag and Watson supports a bunch of causes I feel very strongly about. It was poor judgement and I was wrong.

Watson wasn't just a strong advocate for social justice, he was also a visible symbol of the positive effects of charity. There aren't a lot of folks who get the platform Watson had to affect positive change in the world and it sucks that he spoiled it by being an abuser. Judging by how he's handled this and the serial nature of it I highly doubt he'll ever show any real contrition or remorse. It's loving depressing.

But you're right to say the most important thing is the women that were affected; the literal dozens of women. And it's true there isn't anybody out there who's going to argue that what Watson is somehow invalidates those causes in good faith. It's all people who have a conclusion already.

A big part of it is just selfishness; I don't want to read that poo poo in comment sections and football posts outside of this forum. I'll leave it be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think it is a controversial opinion, wishing that someone wasn't a sexual predator. But I get that with uh....the literal mountain of lawsuits dating back quite a while, that some people don't want to hear from others who are down in the dumps that football dude is probably a shitbag.

I myself am sad that this mess will be dragged out long enough to make the public care less because that's just the fuckin' go-to move nowadays. You don't want to rush the process, but you also wish society could give a poo poo about something for more than 5 minutes.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

I don't think it is a controversial opinion, wishing that someone wasn't a sexual predator. But I get that with uh....the literal mountain of lawsuits dating back quite a while, that some people don't want to hear from others who are down in the dumps that football dude is probably a shitbag.

I myself am sad that this mess will be dragged out long enough to make the public care less because that's just the fuckin' go-to move nowadays. You don't want to rush the process, but you also wish society could give a poo poo about something for more than 5 minutes.

Have I got a tweet for you my dude.

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/746803108949409793?s=21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
good point :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Was Hardin's statement the thing that Watson leaked he was going to release this week, or are we still waiting on a fuller response from him?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was Hardin's statement the thing that Watson leaked he was going to release this week, or are we still waiting on a fuller response from him?

Watson isn't going to say poo poo. He's been told to stay quiet, and is doing so. There is nothing he can say that will help the situation. We will only hear from him as a part of a settlement, in deposition, or at trial.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

Truth

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So Watson ever going to release a statement or...?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't think it serves his interest to do that now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

At this point, we are beyond spin control. He ain't saying poo poo.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

fsif posted:

So Watson ever going to release a statement or...?

Rusty Hardin keeps a tight lid on his clients. We might never get a statement outside of a trial setting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is not new information, but I noticed someone on /r/NFL went to the trouble of compiling all the Watson information in one post. The replies have an entirely different feel to them, even though /r/nfl has been generally disfavorable towards Watson ever since this came out 9 days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/md9av6/deshaun_watson_allegations_a_detailed/

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is not new information, but I noticed someone on /r/NFL went to the trouble of compiling all the Watson information in one post. The replies have an entirely different feel to them, even though /r/nfl has been generally disfavorable towards Watson ever since this came out 9 days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/md9av6/deshaun_watson_allegations_a_detailed/

35,218 characters
6,038 words
253 paragraphs

That's an effort post

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think it serves his interest to do that now.
What the hell could he even say that would look any amount of good for him in any possible way? Publicly defending himself at this point would essentially be saying that either everything was consensual and all the women are lying, or that nothing really happened and all the women are making everything up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He already released a statement through Hardin that everything was consensual which probably means there's too much evidence that it happened for him to pretend it didn't so he had to go that route

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

35,218 characters
6,038 words
253 paragraphs

That's an effort post

Yeah, it's an amazing post.

Reading through the comments, I noticed one that pointed out something that I don't think anyone here has (and apologies if it did come up here or in the N/V thread already):

Reddit user superfrobatcat posted:

Deshaun Watson was seeking out a lot of women who did not typically give massages. It seems like Watson was more likely to get further with these women because they were unfamiliar with the boundaries professional massage therapists expect.

I completely missed that detail, and it just makes Watson even more of a bastard that I thought he was already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/26/exclusive-one-accuser-says-deshaun-watson-forced-her-to-sign-a-nda/